Latex Bed for a big guy -- and a question for Haysdb
Nov 17, 2007 11:33 AM
I am a big & athletic guy -- I am 215lbs 6'5" of muscle not fat (i am not bragging, just trying to give my body type :) )

A couple years ago I tried building a cheaperpedic bed as described in the fatwallet forums. I got the 3" FBM topper (not the 5.5lb density), and the JCPenny 5" Extra-firm base.  I had trouble with it as I just sank through the thing completely!  I left the 3" on my old crappy mattrress and I really liked what the FBM topper did for me.  Pressure point reduction.

I really like the feel of memory foam and I tried the Tempur  Deluxe in a store this week, real nice!  But the heat build up from memory foam drives me nuts, and I was getting hot in the store after just 10 minutes of laying on it.  Also, the fact that you can end up sinking into pits will likely annoy me when i feel trapped in the mattress.  I understand latex can be similar feeling but without these negatives. I tested the Sealy Spring Free and one of the models was actually great.   However, a lot of the sealy spring free models were annoying in that they were far too "bouncy" feeling.

1) Will a latex foam bed from a quality retailer like Sleep EZ get me a mattress that has the positives of memory foam without the negatives?

2) Will the latex not be the "bouncy" type that I didn't like in the stores?

3) Is bouncy feeling where Talalay versus Dunlop is the difference?  I haved used an old (20 yro) latex mattress and I hated because for some reason even though it was foam it "moved" (i.e. no contouring) like a typical very firm mattress that didn't conform.

4) Hayesdb., you're a bigger guy right?  Did you build a latex mattress?  How has that worked for you and what did you end up doing?

Thanks!
This message was modified Nov 17, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Latex Bed for a big guy -- and a question for Haysdb
Reply #6 Nov 17, 2007 11:51 PM
novahelp wrote:
One other thing.

My friend built a cheaperpedic using a 4" FBM and the extra-firm JCPenny, put it in a terry cloth case, and on top of his box spring.
The thing is much better than what I built and actually works!!  Makes no sense to me.

So the only difference in his and your mattress is 1 extra inch of memo foam (I assume you mean the pink stuff)? And did you place your mattress on a box spring? A traditional box spring can be a large part of a bed system. My old one was quite flexible, giving extra comfort. A lot of the newer ones are not springs at all and are very stiff. With 4" of the pink stuff, I think I'd be swallowed up!
Reply #7 Nov 19, 2007 12:27 AM
donw wrote:
So the only difference in his and your mattress is 1 extra inch of memo foam (I assume you mean the pink stuff)? And did you place your mattress on a box spring? A traditional box spring can be a large part of a bed system. My old one was quite flexible, giving extra comfort. A lot of the newer ones are not springs at all and are very stiff. With 4" of the pink stuff, I think I'd be swallowed up!

I did try placing it on my boxspring. It still wasn't the same.

Weird eh?

I am going back and forth on buying a SleepEZ or the Novaform from costco.  After reading more posts you made about FBM faking their orders I am not comfortable dealing with building with them again.    Maybe if the Novaform goes on sale this week I think I will try it since it is free shipping both directions so it's a free trial
This message was modified Nov 19, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #8 Nov 20, 2007 6:03 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger and got the Novaform from Costco -- not even on sale.
I just like the fact that it is a worry free trial basically. 

Will post back here when I get it..

Recent Posts