We Just Ordered a SleepEZ - First Post
Feb 25, 2010 9:21 PM
After finding and reading this forum for about 3 weeks, doing endless searches in the archives (btw,  the day after we purchased a Serta Opulence Plush king size) we ordered a king 13000 today from Shawn at SleepEZ .  We felt totally comfortable in our decision thanks to all the data I was able to glean from this forum.  I am so excited!

As a background, I am a 62 year old female, 5'9" and 175 lbs, my hubby is 62, 6'1" and 215 lbs.  We slept for 15 years on a Simmons Beautyrest.  I have had two lower back laminectomies and have a weak back that doesn't bother me too much in day to day life, but the mattress, with fox holes present now, has been giving my back fits for about 6 months. I wake up daily with a backache and while traveling, my back rarely hurts.

A month ago, I never dreamed I would even think about buying an "all foam" mattress, much less buying it in 8 pieces with a zip cover and on the internet!!   After reading the problems with a latex bed from a "S" company, we stopped delivery of our Serta and, I must say, they were  nice about the whole thing.  I was so worried Mattress Firm would not refund our money, but the young lady at the store said she  understood and credited us back every penny (This was 4 days after the sale, but before delivery)  She told us we could not find a 100% latex bed "out there" and we told her we could.  Initially, she had told us theirs was an all latex, but we found after reading the law label that it was 61% latex and 39% "other items".  The saleslady confirmed it had a poly foam sidewrap (for strength)  and a soybased foam base.

We then took two hours and went to a local latex mattress store, Sovn European Sleep Systems in Dallas.  We loved the feel of their all latex bed. It was 2" soft talalay and 6" medium talalay. But its cost for their 9" king bed was $5000+ with euro slats.  We knew we weren't going to purchase there, but I definitely wanted to lay on an all latex before I ordered one.  I'm so glad we did. 

Our king bed from SleepEZ cost $2095.  There is one item I want to mention about their exchange policy.  We were told we could exchange once and we only had to pay the return shipping.  If we wanted to exchange a 2nd or even 3rd time, we could and the only cost was shipping both ways, not the cost of the entire layer.  Shawn confirmed this with us on 2 different phone calls.  And of course, we have 90 days for a full refund.  Considering the lower price we are paying, I liked this and felt if we needed to swap out even 2 or 3 times, we would still be ahead of the game as far as cost.  And, since we are getting the 4 layer bed (soft, med, firm, x-firm combo) we will have all pieces to do any combination we want in determining what comfort level is best for each of us.  He even said if we decided we only wanted the 10", we could return 2 layers and the cover and he would send us another cover and refund the difference.  We are getting the 4 layers because we want a higher bed look.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell my story and let you know how much I've enjoyed these forums and the knowledge I gained.  Do you think all my decisions and conclusions work?  I will let you know how this works out after we receive our bed next week.  I would appreciate your input/comments.

Re: We Just Ordered a SleepEZ - First Post
Reply #14 Feb 28, 2010 1:45 AM
For clarification's sake, I think we need to differentiate the way we are using the words, "mattress cover", and, "mattress topper".

The way I have interpreted these two terms is as follows.

A mattress cover used by manufactures like SleepEZ, Savvy Rest, and FloBeds, the mattress cover completely incloses the foam layers, holding them tightly. I believe in the case of SleepEZ that there top cover piece is zippered on three sides, I believe Savvy Rest top cover piece will come off completely, but I'm not positive about that. FloBeds zippered top cover can be completely removed as it is zippered on four sides.

A mattress topper can be several different things but it usually fits over the mattress cover as a protector for the cover, and in some cases gives extra cushioning ,IE. wool and so forth. It fits over the mattress cover with a stretchable skirt arrangement to help hold it in place.
This message was modified Feb 28, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #15 Feb 28, 2010 3:11 AM
It's always good to get things in writing, but on the other hand, there is something to be said for trust. Personally if Sean at SleepEZ told me he would give me a certain deal, I would trust him to do so. I might only clarify with him one more time that we are both "on the same page", and I understand correctly the deal he is offering.
Reply #16 Feb 28, 2010 12:31 PM
After I had so many car dealers promise me the world orally and then not deliver, I make sure everything is in writing.
Reply #17 Feb 28, 2010 1:46 PM
london79 wrote:
I love the way my foam layers feel when I sleep on them. Maybe it's just me, but that quilted mattress casing SleepEZ sells with the layers totally takes away from the experience. They should come up with something a lot better. I ordered the terrycloth mattress covering from Foambymail.com instead. Once I removed the quilted covering I didn't have any issues with my broad shoulders aching in the morning. I'm no scientist but I do know it ruins the consistency of the latex. That's why you buy it. It's supposed to give in all the right areas, not all over. I don't know. It's like the quilted covering creates that sagging effect when you lay on it for a few minutes but there isn't one. There's no sagging when I sleep on the layers without the quilted casing. The latex cradles me just right.

What was SleepEz quilted mattress cover/casing made out of and how thick was it?  I am hesitant to get Flobeds cover because I can't even stand a mattress pad over the latex without anything else over it.  It really negates the softness, and my shoulders too would ache.
Reply #18 Feb 28, 2010 6:22 PM
My cover allows the latex to feel through it and I think it is because I have it snug but not too tight like it was when I had all size 3" thick natural latex cores and the 2" convoluted topper under the cover. With each side a 2.8" blended latex core, two 3" natural latex cores and a 1" topper, the bied fits snug but not too tight and I can feel the latex underneath when I only use a fitted sheet and no mattress pad over my zippered up mattress cover. I also feel the latex pillow helps a lot.
Reply #19 Mar 1, 2010 8:16 PM
Well, The cover from SleepEZ is a cotton cover quilted to wool.  Our mattress is due to be delivered tomorrow so we will try it out tomorrow night.  I will try to leave a report on all aspects of the arrival, setup, and feel of that first night.
Reply #20 Mar 9, 2010 10:41 PM
We have slept on our king 13" mattress for 8 nights now and I love it!  Before latex, I was waking up nearly every morning with a back ache (2 back surgeries) and I have had no back pain in the mornings at all the last 8 nights.  And...this is even with an ever so slight sag which I attribute to our old box springs we are using until we decide what we want to purchase to take their place.  The latex is configured from top down as soft, med, firm, xfirm.  My hubby likes his side, but my side may be just a bit soft.  I am going to move my soft layer down a couple of layers and if I like that, I may trade in my soft for a medium.
Reply #21 Mar 9, 2010 11:01 PM
MissMac, Congratulations on your new Latex Bed!  I feel you will be happier with the medium on top for more support. I am glad you are liking your bed. Please keep us updated.  I only wish I bought a latex bed years ago instead of in the year 2007.
Reply #22 Mar 10, 2010 2:22 PM
Congrats! I'm so glad you're happy with your new bed! I'm a newbie FloBeds owner and am still configuring mine. That's what makes layers so great, being able to change them as necessary.
You also get great advice from the experienced posters here.
Reply #23 Mar 10, 2010 4:48 PM
I'm glad you're pleased with your bed!  Continue to keep us updated.

Recent Posts