We Just Ordered a SleepEZ - First Post
Feb 25, 2010 9:21 PM
After finding and reading this forum for about 3 weeks, doing endless searches in the archives (btw,  the day after we purchased a Serta Opulence Plush king size) we ordered a king 13000 today from Shawn at SleepEZ .  We felt totally comfortable in our decision thanks to all the data I was able to glean from this forum.  I am so excited!

As a background, I am a 62 year old female, 5'9" and 175 lbs, my hubby is 62, 6'1" and 215 lbs.  We slept for 15 years on a Simmons Beautyrest.  I have had two lower back laminectomies and have a weak back that doesn't bother me too much in day to day life, but the mattress, with fox holes present now, has been giving my back fits for about 6 months. I wake up daily with a backache and while traveling, my back rarely hurts.

A month ago, I never dreamed I would even think about buying an "all foam" mattress, much less buying it in 8 pieces with a zip cover and on the internet!!   After reading the problems with a latex bed from a "S" company, we stopped delivery of our Serta and, I must say, they were  nice about the whole thing.  I was so worried Mattress Firm would not refund our money, but the young lady at the store said she  understood and credited us back every penny (This was 4 days after the sale, but before delivery)  She told us we could not find a 100% latex bed "out there" and we told her we could.  Initially, she had told us theirs was an all latex, but we found after reading the law label that it was 61% latex and 39% "other items".  The saleslady confirmed it had a poly foam sidewrap (for strength)  and a soybased foam base.

We then took two hours and went to a local latex mattress store, Sovn European Sleep Systems in Dallas.  We loved the feel of their all latex bed. It was 2" soft talalay and 6" medium talalay. But its cost for their 9" king bed was $5000+ with euro slats.  We knew we weren't going to purchase there, but I definitely wanted to lay on an all latex before I ordered one.  I'm so glad we did. 

Our king bed from SleepEZ cost $2095.  There is one item I want to mention about their exchange policy.  We were told we could exchange once and we only had to pay the return shipping.  If we wanted to exchange a 2nd or even 3rd time, we could and the only cost was shipping both ways, not the cost of the entire layer.  Shawn confirmed this with us on 2 different phone calls.  And of course, we have 90 days for a full refund.  Considering the lower price we are paying, I liked this and felt if we needed to swap out even 2 or 3 times, we would still be ahead of the game as far as cost.  And, since we are getting the 4 layer bed (soft, med, firm, x-firm combo) we will have all pieces to do any combination we want in determining what comfort level is best for each of us.  He even said if we decided we only wanted the 10", we could return 2 layers and the cover and he would send us another cover and refund the difference.  We are getting the 4 layers because we want a higher bed look.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell my story and let you know how much I've enjoyed these forums and the knowledge I gained.  Do you think all my decisions and conclusions work?  I will let you know how this works out after we receive our bed next week.  I would appreciate your input/comments.

Re: We Just Ordered a SleepEZ - First Post
Reply #4 Feb 26, 2010 11:23 AM
Eagle2 - Yes, we discussed this with Shawn and I even read that line to him and he said they had never charged a customer for a 2nd or 3rd layer, only shipping in BOTH directions after the first exchange.  I don't know why he doesn't change that wording.  I think I will email him about what you said.  We purchased talalay blended.

jimsocal - they have a 90 day full refund policy but you do have to pay shipping to return the mattress. He quotes that at $100 to $150 probably, depending on size, location, and number of boxes.

Based on these facts, I would say they have nearly as good a refund policy as Flobeds and the way I look at it I am saving enough up front compared to Flobed's cost, that I can afford a few shipping costs

AND by buying a king with 8 pieces of talalay blended latex to play around with, we should not have but maybe one or two exchanges.

Shawn was very accommodating and our bed, ordered yesterday afternoon, is shipping today and shows to be here via tracking numbers by next Tuesday, 3/2.

I'm happy and just hope I will be after sleeping on the bed a month!!

Thanks again for all the good information here on this forum.

Reply #5 Feb 26, 2010 12:11 PM
I've never talked to Sleepez or Shawn, but from all reports he's a stand-up guy.  Still, I would take the extra step of asking him to give you the return/exchange policy he verbally quoted you *in writing.*  The written policy is a good piece of insurance to have.
Reply #6 Feb 26, 2010 4:58 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
I've never talked to Sleepez or Shawn, but from all reports he's a stand-up guy.  Still, I would take the extra step of asking him to give you the return/exchange policy he verbally quoted you *in writing.*  The written policy is a good piece of insurance to have.

I agree with Kimberly!

Sean is doing SleepEZ operation a very big disservice by not correcting his website if their actual policy is more liberal than they are saying. Just remember the old lawyers adage, "A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it is written on!"

I always try to approach business dealings with a methodology that goes like this. "If I were to have to appear before a judge in a court of law how would I prove my case?" The simple answer is I would have to have written documentation, or a quite revealing video, or an audio tape. Something that the judge could look at as being non-subjective and truthful.

If they are allowing more than one exchange for their layers without charging for them than they are doing themselves a very big disservice by not stating that on their website. There is no telling how much business they have lost to FloBeds because FloBeds states quite explicitly that you have unlimited exchanges for 90 days with you only paying the return shipping costs for your layer that is being exchanged. Everybody who has bought a FloBeds has found this to be true. Flobeds words on their website match their deeds.

From everything I have read on this forum SleepEZ is a good and reputable company. They are certainly less expensive than FloBeds. But this business about having to pay for any layers beyond one, was one of the principal reasons that I did not do business with them but instead bought a FloBeds. So, this is one customer that they lost by not stating on there web site what they now say is the truth regarding exchanges!
This message was modified Feb 26, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #7 Feb 26, 2010 7:42 PM
I love the way my foam layers feel when I sleep on them. Maybe it's just me, but that quilted mattress casing SleepEZ sells with the layers totally takes away from the experience. They should come up with something a lot better. I ordered the terrycloth mattress covering from Foambymail.com instead. Once I removed the quilted covering I didn't have any issues with my broad shoulders aching in the morning. I'm no scientist but I do know it ruins the consistency of the latex. That's why you buy it. It's supposed to give in all the right areas, not all over. I don't know. It's like the quilted covering creates that sagging effect when you lay on it for a few minutes but there isn't one. There's no sagging when I sleep on the layers without the quilted casing. The latex cradles me just right.
Reply #8 Feb 26, 2010 9:14 PM
london79 may have something. I and others on this forum feel that the closer we get to the latex the better off we are. Sometimes just the difference between a very thin mattress topper and a slightly thicker topper can make a difference.

I have never heard anyone complain about a SleepEZ mattress cover before. I have a FloBeds and the cover for it is quite soft and pliable. My guess is without actually seeing and feeling the covering for other beds is that the FloBeds cover is constructed to be a softer configuration. One thing nice about a FloBeds cover is that you can completely unzip it and take off the top piece. A person could then put on what ever type of top cover they wanted.

I found that when I completely removed any type of cotton topper, particularly if the thermostat was set to a warmer temperature, that the bed felt too hot to me. A simple solution, since it's winter, was to turn down the thermostat 2 degrees Fahrenheit.

I feel one thing has been proven on this forum regarding latex. Very slight differences of surface configurations can make a tremendous difference in the way the mattress feels to the individual.
Reply #9 Feb 26, 2010 9:52 PM
So are there more of you out there that have problems with their covers?  I haven't read anything about this until now.  I have laid on a few layers locally and didn't think a lot about it.  Do you think it affects more people with pain issues?
Reply #10 Feb 26, 2010 10:41 PM
MissMac wrote:
So are there more of you out there that have problems with their covers?  I haven't read anything about this until now.  I have laid on a few layers locally and didn't think a lot about it.  Do you think it affects more people with pain issues?

I don't know about them, but it really bothers my hip with bursitis, and the other side that doesn't have bursitis.  I use a blanket over the latex layers; but I still have pain issues but I have too soft of latex over the hard spring mattress right now.  But when I used a mattress pad I was in worse pain.  It is a trampoline type of feeling when you lay on mattress pads that are too tight.

I am looking to buy a new latex mattress in the future and I just can't decide if it is worth the money getting one with a cover that I will probably end up removing.  I am super sensitive to mattress pads and the mattress quilting itself.  I guess you won't know til you try either Sleepeze or Flobeds mattress covering.
Reply #11 Feb 27, 2010 2:43 AM
Just to clarify. What SleepEZ sells with the latex layers encases the latex. It's not just a cover. You place the latex inside then it zips up so it looks like a traditional mattress.
Reply #12 Feb 27, 2010 11:20 AM
What is the difference between the Sleepez zippered mattress cover and the Flobeds zippered mattress cover?  The Flobeds one is knit cotton and wool. . . . very comfortable.
Reply #13 Feb 27, 2010 11:44 PM
I do not know the difference but I know my FloBed mattress cover is wonderful.  The first one sent to me was not as nice.  The zipper had a rip in it which I was told by Dave would be replaced but I should wait since they were making nicer covers. The new mattress cover is wonderful and soft to sleep on. It also has protection so the latex does not get caught in the zipper like the first cover.  This all happened in the year 2007.

Recent Posts