latex mattresses - Reason latex has problems - someone tell me this?
Dec 2, 2011 3:41 PM
The latex bounces, how wil then provide pressure relief and support?

May be some support but pressure relief - I don't think so.

So latex does not work.

Also latex is Not comfortable since it has bounce and PUSHBACK.

This message was modified Dec 2, 2011 by Joed
Re: latex mattresses - Reason latex has problems - someone tell me this?
Reply #14 Dec 4, 2011 4:38 PM
I think both latex mattress and memory form mattress have very distinct, different feel from the traditional inner spring matress. Latex matress has a bouncy feeling, memory form has a sink in feeling, they are all very different from inner spring.  I can imagine not everybody like the feelings.

As Pure bliss latex mattress(nutrition, 11" of latex) owners of 2 months, my husband and I are very happy with our latex mattress,  it's very comfortable to us.  I think whether latex/memory form mattress works or not is a very individual thing.

Reply #15 Dec 6, 2011 1:24 PM
I don't know about other people. But I got the softest latex mattress and it is killing me. I am returning it. I got taken in by the salesmen pitch. The soft latex is only soft for less then 1 minute and then it starts to pushback. I sink in too much and it is pushing back firmly. I now have shoulder pains with I did not have before I bought this. I sleep on polyurethane sofa which does not pushback.

I have tried tempurpedic beds. I found that basic cloud is too firm for me. The other cloud series - I sink in too much and am touching the base foam. I have tried the contour series. I find them too firm for me. I have tried Rhapsody at a friends house. It strated fine and it fizzled. It softened up where I weighed the heaviest - hips/buttocks. I have tried sleeping on allura. And it is only "seems" good when I sleep on my back. and finally I can't afford a 7000 dollar Grand bed.

So if there is any "soft latex bed " in "real life" kindly tell me. Because I have not found it. I don't know why budgy is telling "99%" of the people like latex.To me right now is just uncomfortable piece of rubber which they fancifully call "latex".

Beware of the salemen. I might just go back to springs.

This message was modified Dec 6, 2011 by Joed
Reply #16 Dec 6, 2011 3:18 PM
Joed wrote:

I don't know about other people. But I got the softest latex mattress and it is killing me. I am returning it. I got taken in by the salesmen pitch. The soft latex is only soft for less then 1 minute and then it starts to pushback. I sink in too much and it is pushing back firmly. I now have shoulder pains with I did not have before I bought this. I sleep on polyurethane sofa which does not pushback.

I have tried tempurpedic beds. I found that basic cloud is too firm for me. The other cloud series - I sink in too much and am touching the base foam. I have tried the contour series. I find them too firm for me. I have tried Rhapsody at a friends house. It strated fine and it fizzled. It softened up where I weighed the heaviest - hips/buttocks. I have tried sleeping on allura. And it is only "seems" good when I sleep on my back. and finally I can't afford a 7000 dollar Grand bed.

So if there is any "soft latex bed " in "real life" kindly tell me. Because I have not found it. I don't know why budgy is telling "99%" of the people like latex.To me right now is just uncomfortable piece of rubber which they fancifully call "latex".

Well, even though I accused you of saying what was true for you is true for everybody, what you're saying sounds kind of familiar.

My old latex bed felt too hard and too soft at the same time.   Pressure points on hips, but made my back hurt.   And it didn't make my back hurt because it was too firm - sleeping on an old non-foamcore futon in spare bedroom, VERY firm, always makes my back feel way better overnight.

Reply #17 Dec 7, 2011 1:55 PM
Not sure what you are thinking with this. Latex actually has one of the best pressure point relief of any mattress in the industry and will do so equally to any polyurethe foam mattress. Latex recovers much faster than momory foam, but does not push back any harder than memory foam. The push back factor is exactly the same as memory foam and this is based on gravity and weight. If you push down with 100lbs you will sink down until the latex or memory foam resists 100lbs of force. The pressue apllied to you is equal. If it is less resistance then you will continue to sink until equal pressure is met. If it is pushing back with greater resistance then you will continue to raise higher.

The comfort level is personal preferance. Just like all other foams Latex comes in extra firm, med, plush to very soft. That is personal preferance. I have had my latex bed for 11yrs now and I wouldnt change it out for anything. I personally found memory foam mattress to be uncomfortable and made my shoulders hurt, but that was a firmer one. Some of the softer ones like the Tempurpedic Cloud I could live with, but none are a comfortable as my latex bed. With that said another friend of mine swears by his Tempurpedic and wouldnt trade it for the world as it is very comfortable to him (Way to hard for me) Talking with others I find many that love both products and I find some that cant sleep on either.

To say latex has more push back is completely false. At least until they come out with some new product that defiy's the laws of physics and gravity.

Reply #18 Dec 7, 2011 2:08 PM
Joed wrote:

I don't know budgy but I have a spring air soft talalay latex and it has lots of pushback even though it is a soft latex mattress.

I also read about pushback at this forum. It is not the same feeling I got with poly foam.

The latex is bouncy and it is rubber.

Try sleeping on rubber. It pinches even though it may be the softest.

that pinch is pushback I guess. Very uncomfortable.

If latex was so good we would have latex stores everywhere and latex beds would be carried at major retail stores too.

Reality is here mattress firm and mattress giant have stopped carrying all latex beds they had.

Because they told me they don't sell. Well they would sell if they were any goood wouldnt they?

If latex was so great all stores would be carrying latex beds.

But reality is almost no retail stores do.

And it is pretty big hasle for most people to buy mattresses over the internet.

people want to lay down on the beds in a store and feel them.

Well there are no latex mattresses here. Because as I said if they were so good stores would carry them.

But they don't.

Not sure why you are saying Mattress Firm doesnt carry latex mattress. They have latex on their website and in the local stores around here. They also talk about the reason some of the Simmons or Sealy mattress's sets are so expensive is because they use latex and latex is one of the highest quality materials you can get in the bedding industry. This is what their sales reps will tell you. Mattress Giant also sells Latex beds, so does sleepy's as will most of your largest mattress compainies. None of those compaines has stopped carrying latex beds so you might want to check your data again. Many funiture stores do not carry latex, but even most of the larger funiture stores and/or high end funitures will carry latex beds.

it is naive to beieve all mattress retailers would carry them if it was a great product. Tempurpedic is a great product, but not all retailers carry them. Sealy Makes great mattress sets, but not all retailers carry them. So stating "If a product is so good all retailers would carry them" is flawed.

Reply #19 Dec 7, 2011 2:16 PM
GuyMakesSense wrote:

I think that the best way to understand any of the foams or springs (in regards to push back) would be that if you are pushing against something it has to push back (which someone posted in the very beginning). The problem with most mattress salespeople is that we are trained to sell an item and not a science... or physics.

The truth is, when you are trying to find a sleep system that will allow you to sink where you need to (hips and shoulders) but be supported up where you need it (waist, lower back). Latex, when trying to find the right one for you, needs to allow your hips and shoulders to sink while still holding the small ofyour back up to keep your alignment correct. Too many times we "buy" the speech of the salesman (of which I am one) and do not pay attention to the way our back feels... or we don't spend enough time testing the beds that feel good at first. To top it off, we find all of the posts and reviews that are negative and completely write off a possible solution.

I suggest that the method of support (coils, pocketed coils, latex, visco, etc.) while having their respective positive and negative attributes can be truly tested for you ONLY BY YOU. I use this method in my solutions presentation: "We want to find the most comfortable option in the following four areas..."

1. Immediate Comfort - What feels good when you initially lay down. something firmer? softer? pillow top? You should not feel like your shoulder is digging into your chin or that your hips are sinking too far or not enough for true comfort. (Having the right thickness of pillow here will be vital to that 20% of your spine which probably never touches the mattress but rests on a pillow)
  2. Long Term Comfort - Find your favorite feel (no more than 2 options if at all possible) and then spend at least 12-15 minutes on it in your sleeping position... if your muscles begin to relax... or "melt", you are experiencing the release of your back muscles from your spine proving enough support to allow you to sleep all night (or at least longer than right now!)
  3. Psychological Comfort - If you have a fear of any particular element found in beds (latex allergies, memory foam is hot, springs push back too much) I would suggest that you "prove" the fear first yourself, but if you can't, let's avoid that particular thing. For example, even though a true latex allery is found in less than 1% of the population, I see about 15% of my customers who claim one... I can explain that normally latex is a contact allergy... I can inform them of the water-washing method of cleaning the impurities instead of detergents or petroleum (which is what most reactions to latex are caused by) etc. but ultimately, if they are afraid of latex... we will avoid it!
  4. Financial Comfort - Once I find the right Comfort (immediate), Support (long-term) and avoid any psychologial concerns, I want to find the right price range for my purchase. sometimes we can give up certain elements in the bed to obtain a better price and as long as I feel the comfort (of the first three) is not truly compromised, I can work the price to my benefit!

Ultimately, once you have done some research on what to expect to spend and then testing to prove your levels of comfort, you will find that more expensive does not necessarily mean more comfortable or even better. According to Englander's website (which I do not carry) you should expect to find a GOOD queen set (not specialty) coiled mattress for between $1000 and $1500 dollars (which should include the customer service elements of warranty, delivery, comfort exchange, durability and comfort). Specialty will probably be more, but there are options that can easily put you into that range without having to break the bank.

Easy test: Go find 5 pillow top mattresses in your local store (tell the sales agent to leave you alone... seriously) at 5 different price points. You will probably find that the top 2 or 3 can feel really good without having to like the most expensive one... hope this helps!

Sleep Well 'joed"!

Very well said. I agree with this 100%.

Reply #20 Dec 7, 2011 2:34 PM
Joed wrote:

I did not claim that 99% of people like latex.  Roy1 claimed 99% of people do not like it.  I am sorry it did not work for you guys.

You still have not answered my question about whether your mattress truly is all latex....did you read the law label yet to see the material contents?

Reply #21 Dec 7, 2011 4:03 PM
DaveStro wrote:

Not sure why you are saying Mattress Firm doesnt carry latex mattress. They have latex on their website and in the local stores around here. They also talk about the reason some of the Simmons or Sealy mattress's sets are so expensive is because they use latex and latex is one of the highest quality materials you can get in the bedding industry. This is what their sales reps will tell you. Mattress Giant also sells Latex beds, so does sleepy's as will most of your largest mattress compainies. None of those compaines has stopped carrying latex beds so you might want to check your data again. Many funiture stores do not carry latex, but even most of the larger funiture stores and/or high end funitures will carry latex beds.

it is naive to beieve all mattress retailers would carry them if it was a great product. Tempurpedic is a great product, but not all retailers carry them. Sealy Makes great mattress sets, but not all retailers carry them. So stating "If a product is so good all retailers would carry them" is flawed.

What people need to do is call mattress firm and mattress giant. Then then they will know they stopped carrying latex.

Your "claim" about latex's pushback is a not true.

After my experiences, I have learned not to trust salesmen.

This message was modified Dec 7, 2011 by Joed
Reply #22 Dec 7, 2011 4:16 PM
budgy wrote:

I did not claim that 99% of people like latex.  Roy1 claimed 99% of people do not like it.  I am sorry it did not work for you guys.

You still have not answered my question about whether your mattress truly is all latex....did you read the law label yet to see the material contents?

If you read posts I have posted the information there.

To repeat, It is 6 inch of latex on 8 inches of soy foam. 2 inch of celsion over 1 inch of dunlop over 3 inch of talalay. All over 8 inch of soy foam.

This message was modified Dec 7, 2011 by Joed
Reply #23 Dec 7, 2011 5:34 PM
And based on this mattress you say latex is no good for anyone?  theres a whole lot of polyfoam in the mattress itself too...I bet if you cut open the top quilting layer it is a thin layer of polyurethane before the latex too.  

Recent Posts