frustrated at this whole mattress shopping experience
Aug 10, 2011 2:02 AM
Hey guys,

I've been sleeping on a futon mattress for the past 8 years and I went to a chiropractor recently and found out I really need to get a good mattress. I went to Sit n Sleep and I found some pretty good mattresses. However, all of them felt great compared to the bad futon mattress. What made this mattress shopping absolutely horrifying and frustrating are the reviews I read, mainly on this site.

I can't remember the exact model or style, but the ones the store manager recommended were: simmons beautyrest black (around 2200 for queen), sleep to live (around 1700 for queen), serta icomfort (around 1200 for full XL).

For those three, I have found mainly bad reviews for various reasons and since this is not a cheap purchase, it really scares me.

I guess what scares me the most are

1. craters
2. defects
3. customer service and warranty

I've read some reviews saying most of the mattresses will have a indentation/crater within like 3-4 months of purchase and simmons's customer service is either not helpful or will do anything to get out of their warranty.

I'm sorry this thread isn't very organized. I am very very frustrated (not at you guys of course). Maybe you guys can give me some pointers?

Thanks!

Wynn

Re: frustrated at this whole mattress shopping experience
Reply #1 Aug 10, 2011 2:28 AM
I can speak for the iComfort as I've had the Revolution model here for 4 weeks.  It's 4.75" of memory foam on top of 7" core regular foam.  If you lay on one, I think you'll find you sink into it a lot.  I thought that was cool and all, but after a week or so, my spine didn't think so.  I don't it is ever good for your butt or hips to sink too much into a mattress, so watch out for that.

The next iComfort down, Genius is awfully firm.  Lotta pushback when laying on my side.  too much difference between Rev. and Genius.  I've seen an Insight in Sears which has a lot of sink in the middle.  Perhaps it was damaged.  Maybe kids jumped up and down on it.  Don't know.

I was very disappointed by a $1k twin XL Stearns and Foster set.  Luxury Plush it was.  It just seemed too hard after laying in it for hours. 

Sears has a different kind of Simmons Beautyrest Classic mattress named a St. Bees Evenloft Plush.  The surface of the mattress is smooth and flat, not having those silly tucks and buttons like most mattresses have.  Shouldn't a mattress be perfectly flat anyway?  Seems silly to have little hills and valleys all over a mattress.

I'm going on my 4th mattress since May this year.  I've never looked hard for a standout mattress, but determined to land one this time.  I've got a all latex mattress shipping UPS from next state over AZ.  No shipping cost to me, no sales tax, can exchange layers for 90 days and if can't get happy, returnable up to 90 days.  I'd just have to pay shipping on two 50 lb. boxes which wouldn't be too darn expensive.  It's coming from sleepez.

This message was modified Aug 10, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #2 Aug 10, 2011 11:04 AM
Wynnsayz, I know what you mean. I hadn't bought a bed in over 15 years, and had no idea things had changed so much. No longer can you just buy what you like and expect it to last 10 or or years, never mind the mind-boggling array of choices. I found this forum after my brand new, expensive pillowtop started sagging in 5 weeks. Car shopping is a picnic compared to mattress shopping these days!

Here's an article from a member of this forum. It helped me quite a bit and maybe will help you too!

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/answer-whats-best-mattress/6097-0-1.html

Reply #3 Aug 10, 2011 12:23 PM
DoreenA wrote:

Wynnsayz, I know what you mean. I hadn't bought a bed in over 15 years, and had no idea things had changed so much. No longer can you just buy what you like and expect it to last 10 or or years, never mind the mind-boggling array of choices. I found this forum after my brand new, expensive pillowtop started sagging in 5 weeks. Car shopping is a picnic compared to mattress shopping these days!

Here's an article from a member of this forum. It helped me quite a bit and maybe will help you too!

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/answer-whats-best-mattress/6097-0-1.html

Thanks Doreen!

First time I've seen this by jimsocal .... I'm reading!

Reply #4 Aug 10, 2011 6:51 PM
thanks! thats a great read!

does beautyrest black use pocketed coil like jim mentioned? or the pocketed coil used in black is better than the ones in other beautyrest line

Reply #5 Aug 10, 2011 7:21 PM
wynnsayz wrote:

thanks! thats a great read!

does beautyrest black use pocketed coil like jim mentioned? or the pocketed coil used in black is better than the ones in other beautyrest line

Beautyrest Black coils are made from twisted pairs of coil.  The rods are twisted together in a spiral, then made into a coil.

Posturepedic advertises titanium coils.

Reply #6 Aug 10, 2011 7:48 PM
Hate to scare you, but if you think just shopping for a mattress is a hassle ... wait until you purchase a  set and maybe find out it isn't all that for you....

I've been through it 3 times ... so far since May this year - 1 mattress and 2 mattress sets (w/ foundations).

Reply #7 Aug 10, 2011 8:14 PM
Ya, so is the coil in beautyrest black better than other lines of beautyrest?
Reply #8 Aug 10, 2011 8:15 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Beautyrest Black coils are made from twisted pairs of coil.  The rods are twisted together in a spiral, then made into a coil.

Posturepedic advertises titanium coils.

makes me wonder why, steel is used instead of copper and aluminum because it is much more elastic and therefore able to return to its shape much quicker and without losing as much strength over time. chromoly steel is even more elastic than regular steel and is typically used for springs in race car applications. the whole point of a spring is to absorb energy and then return to its original shape, hence elasticity of the material chosen is the single most important quality.  titanium is a very low elasticity metal, it is just stronger than steel pound for pound...it is more corrosion resistant.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_773.html

Recent Posts