Wool topper
Mar 13, 2010 3:42 PM
I have been looking at click here Natura wool toppers.  There also is a cotton backed on that is not washable.

Anyone here have one of these?

Budgie, what is your opinion.  I know you sell these.  I am super sensitive, so if the backing is stiff, wrinkled or bulky I will hate it.  That is why I don't want stuff wool toppers, they stitch on the top of them, painful!  The one I am looking at is the wool on top mattress pad that has polyester backing and is washable.  The reversible is not washable.  Not sure this would even fit in the washer.  Budgie, opinion please?

Thanks.

P.S. My hope is this will make the latex firmer, and I think it will by my blanket I put on the top, and when I use tighter jersey sheets.wink

This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by Leo3
Re: Wool topper
Reply #7 Mar 13, 2010 11:49 PM
The Natura ones are not treated with any chemicals.....although I read about these other organic ones....if they are using legit merino wool it is a finer wool than mass produced new zealand wool that natura uses in their exposed wool pads....whether its worth twice as much...not sure.  One other thing I should tell you though...I would personally recommend that this type of product be hand washed as opposed to being machine washed and dried.  Especially if you don't have a front load washer, agitating wool when it is wet is actually what turns fleece into felt.  So a gentle hand wash in warm water.  You can just completely soak them and use a gentle soap like le Blanc silk wash or laundry wash, try not to rub the wool against itself in order to get it clean, and do not wring it out to dry it.  Just shake it loosely and then wrap it in towels and squeeze it in the towels to draw as much moisture out as you can, then allow it to fully air dry. 
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by budgy
Reply #8 Mar 14, 2010 12:44 AM
Thanks Budgy.  The $400 wool topper doesn't say what type of wool.  Neither did Natura's website.  So Merino is better than New Zealand?  Boy this does get confusing, particularly since they don't bother telling you what type of wool it is.  So Natura is New Zealand you said?  How do I find Merino wool?

Thanks  for telling me about washing wool, I have the top loaded washer with an agitator so it sounds like that is out.

Reply #9 Mar 14, 2010 10:17 PM
merino is just a specific kind of sheep.  that link you provided claimed their more expensive topper was using merino wool. 

but yeah, all wool is washable, but its best to take special care when doing so

Reply #10 Mar 14, 2010 11:59 PM
budgy wrote:

My brother actually used the washable one for a while.  He quite liked it, although you shouldn't be too surprised that it will lose a fair bit of wool piling during the first couple of wash cycles.  I would personally try to avoid laundering it on a regular basis so that it will last longer, would be a good idea to just take it outside on occasion and let it air out.  I don't think the backing  will be too firm but it will be stiffer than say an actual sheep skin. 

"Natura Wool on Top™ Mattress Pad

This cozy mattress pad features 1 1/4" exposed Natura Smart Wool™ pile on the outside like a Sherpa coat lining. Please note this does have a polyester backing. Convenient elastic straps." from website noted above.

Budgy:  What is Natura Smart Wool and if it has a polyester backing would there be stiching/quilting?  Do you have them in your store, do you know if there is stitching.  I am soooo picky.

Reply #11 Mar 15, 2010 2:32 AM
Well I hope to gosh there is no stitching because I bit the bullet and ordered one online.  It looks simple and I am hoping Natura brand is as good as the latex topper I got at Brylane Homes a while back.  At least I can return it if I don't like it.  I did wise up on that part anyway.  wink
Reply #12 Mar 15, 2010 5:16 PM
i think it will be fine.  theres no stitching except the very outer edge .
Reply #13 Mar 15, 2010 6:00 PM
budgy wrote:

i think it will be fine.  theres no stitching except the very outer edge .

Thanks Budgy, I had to finally try something.  I will post what I think, for those that are interested....

Reply #14 Mar 26, 2010 1:55 AM
Well I got my Natura wool on topper today, and it was shipped well.

Have you ever been so tired from lack of sleep and back pain that you just can't face changing your bed and adding something to it????  Because you are afraid it won't help and it will make it worse?  That is me tonight.

I was expecting it to be bigger, I haven't even unzipped the package to even look at.  It does look nice and clean.  Being a germaphobe and hearing I shouldn't wash it by our resident mattress guru, I have to put the sheet over it and hope I can get over my germaphobia.

Maybe tomorrow I can face it.  sad  We need a crying smiley face option here.

This message was modified Mar 26, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #15 Mar 26, 2010 1:58 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Well I got my Natura wool on topper today, and it was shipped well.

Have you ever been so tired from lack of sleep and back pain that you just can't face changing your bed and adding something to it????  Because you are afraid it won't help and it will make it worse?  That is me tonight.

I was expecting it to be bigger, I haven't even unzipped the package to even look at.  It does look nice and clean.  Being a germaphobe and hearing I shouldn't wash it by our resident mattress guru, I have to put the sheet over it and hope I can get over my germaphobia.

Maybe tomorrow I can face it.  sad  We need a crying smiley face option here.

Oh Leo, I totally understand the feeling! This journey for a good nights sleep can just become so overwhelming at times. You just never know what might work, and hopefully the wool topper may be just the thing.

I so hope you're feeling better today.

Natalie

Reply #16 Mar 27, 2010 3:23 PM
I slept on the Natura wool on top mattress pad last night, and the new jersey sheets.  It was sooooo soft, and it really did change my body temperature.  I slept on my back for 5 hours and didn't wake up due to being warm (just woke up), it was very cozy.  I turned on my "good hip" side and  2 1/2 hours later I woke up in bad hip pain.  So it did do not perform a miracle there.  crying 

Guess I am a believer on wool now.  I thought the polyester didn't make me sweat like the memory foam mattress did, but it did keep me warmer.

But I can say I am very happy with the quality of the Natura wool on top mattress pad, it was very clean, and packaged nicely.  I would buy from Sears again, they are top notched at shipping, they actually put them in boxes in their original packaging.  I think the Natura topper came directly from Natura because the box had their name imprinted in it.  They did an excellent job of packaging too.  You just don't realize how nice and important that is wink

Thanks to Budgy smiley for helping me decide that this topper was good, and that it had no stitching lines.  I really like it and hope it lasts me for a while.  I won't be able to wash it in my washer.  Unless I get a front loading one, not likely.  I guess I could use a wash cloth and clean like I did my latex pillow.  I am very happy.

Some day I will fix my side sleeping pain.

This message was modified Mar 27, 2010 by Leo3

Recent Posts