Why Latex does not work for people...
Mar 31, 2011 12:53 PM
One word.

PUSHBACK.

Yes latex pushes back against your body and there are many people who don't find that comfortable.

Imagine sleeping on a surface that is pushing back against you all night. I hate to say this but that would not be a comfortable feeling.

In fact that creates pressure.  So Latex does not lead to pressure point relief.

This message was modified Mar 31, 2011 by xyz1ab
Re: Why Latex does not work for people...
Reply #30 Feb 13, 2012 12:23 PM
DaveStro wrote:

I know this is an old post, but when people come across this I do want them to realize this is completely false statement. Latex does not push back against you any more than any other foam. Actualy Latex, HD Foam, Memory foam, Visco foam, etc... All push back against you with exactly the same force and it doesnt matter what density or compression ratio the foam is. They all push back against you with exactly the same force. The amount of force is determined by gravity. if you put 50lbs on top of any of those foams they will all sink until it has 50lbs pressure pushing back. and it works the same with all weights. Once it has 50lbs pressure pushing back you will stop sinking. How far you sink will depend on the compression ratio of the foam (ILD)

Push back for latex is a term created by poly foam manufactures to make their foam sound better and is just simply a false statement.

A way to test it. Take memory foam of 30ILD and take latex of 30ILD and apply 30 pounds per sq inch of pressure. If they both sink 1" then they have the same pushback.

actually what you are saying is completely untruthful. I have tried 3 latex beds. latex has tremendous amount of pushback. Soft latex too. lie on a latex bed and within short time it begins to pushback against you. Presses against your body in such a hard way that is really hurtful and very uncomfortable.  Very uncomfortable sensation. The pressing or pushback of a foam is completely different then pushback of a latex mattress.

This message was modified Feb 13, 2012 by roy1
Reply #31 Feb 15, 2012 12:55 AM
Like everything else, it's a matter of personal preference.  I like a very soft latex foam as my top layer because my hip and shoulder are cushioned by the softness and allowed to sink in, but when I switch positions, the latex immediately bounces back to support me in my new position.  Memory foam would hold its old indentation too long, so that when I switched from my side to my back, there would still be an indentation under the small of my back where I actually needed support.  Having tried both, I prefer latex, but soft latex.
Reply #32 Feb 15, 2012 3:23 AM
Vlaurend wrote:

Like everything else, it's a matter of personal preference.  I like a very soft latex foam as my top layer because my hip and shoulder are cushioned by the softness and allowed to sink in, but when I switch positions, the latex immediately bounces back to support me in my new position.  Memory foam would hold its old indentation too long, so that when I switched from my side to my back, there would still be an indentation under the small of my back where I actually needed support.  Having tried both, I prefer latex, but soft latex.

exactly. tempurpedics have this problem too hence lack of support. Pressure relief yes but support no.

IN latex it is opposite. Support yes BUT pressure relief - I say no. I also say that latex pushback is in fact counter to pressure relief.

hence the conundrum.

tempurpedics and latex have big disadvantages.

Reply #33 Feb 21, 2012 1:21 PM
jimsocal wrote:

Well, I'm sure there must be some people who allergic to sleeping on latex but then there are some people who allergic to everything. If you're allergic to sleeping on latex, don't sleep on it. However being allergic to wearing latex gloves, for example, does not preclude you from sleeping on latex. It's a completely different situation.

I dont think people are allergic to latex. I think some people are allergic to residues of substances which are used to process the latex

Reply #34 Feb 21, 2012 8:07 PM
roy1 wrote:

IN latex it is opposite. Support yes BUT pressure relief - I say no. I also say that latex pushback is in fact counter to pressure relief.

Most people agree that traditional poly foams are good for pressure relief. Don't they push back as much as latex? So if they are good for relief then shouldn't latex be too?

Recent Posts