Why Latex does not work for people...
Mar 31, 2011 12:53 PM
One word.

PUSHBACK.

Yes latex pushes back against your body and there are many people who don't find that comfortable.

Imagine sleeping on a surface that is pushing back against you all night. I hate to say this but that would not be a comfortable feeling.

In fact that creates pressure.  So Latex does not lead to pressure point relief.

This message was modified Mar 31, 2011 by xyz1ab
Re: Why Latex does not work for people...
Reply #20 May 15, 2011 11:13 AM

Thank you so much for your reply and especially referring to our Goodrich Mattress. I was hoping someone would compare it to the latex manufactured today. When you say it is "different", do you mean in terms of durability or firmness? Our current mattress is starting to crumble a little, but only on the edges. We are lucky in the fact that there are grips on the sides of the mattress ticking to turn it so we don't have to touch the latex itself. I was considering a topper for this mattress, but thought since it was beginning to crumble, we should buy a new one. Also, when I was considering a purchase of a new mattress, I was thinking that our son could use the new one after we are gone, but hopefully that will not be for many more years. :) 

Wish the Savvy Rest store were closer than 300 miles, but we hope to make it a bit of a vacation trip too. Still it would be nice to be able to try a mattress more than once. I am also going to call around to see what is available locally one more time, but think there are slim pickings around here.

I did take your advice to post under a new topic.

Sleepwithcats,

Thanks so much for your review on Savvy Rest. I only wish that we were that close to a SR store, or any store which sells some other latex besides Tempurpedic, which we have tried, find it too soft and are concerned about being too warm.

Are you planning to buy a new mattress?

This message was modified May 15, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #21 May 15, 2011 1:07 PM
Phoebe2011, I also tried in a store the Temperpedic mattress and I did not like the feeling of the memory foam and I did not like the fact that it outgasses since I have allergies.

I know a poster on the decorating forum who posted about how Savvy Rest latex bed in 2007 and I know she is happy. I went with FloBeds.com since I wanted to be able to return the bed and get a refund if an all latex bed was not for me. I also was told about FloBeds from tax customers of mine and when I went on the website, I was impressed and called Dave.  Any Latex bed that has the layers set up for your individual needs I feel you and your wife will be happy with.  I myself like very firm latex layers with no soft layers but a 1" latex topper being that I am not quite 5 feet tall and only 100 lbs.  Most small adults seem to like softer beds but to me, I need a firm bed with a tiny bit of cushion for pressure relief.

Good luck with your search for a new bed.

Reply #22 May 29, 2011 6:38 AM
if your not poor and humble, then whats the point? - Terence Mckenna
Another good reason why latex does not work for all, is the fact that some people are pretty alergic to it.  Yea it may be antimicrobial and dm resistant but what good is that for people who can't even sleep on it?
Reply #23 May 29, 2011 3:39 PM
daydreamer01 wrote:

Another good reason why latex does not work for all, is the fact that some people are pretty alergic to it.  Yea it may be antimicrobial and dm resistant but what good is that for people who can't even sleep on it?

Well, I'm sure there must be some people who allergic to sleeping on latex but then there are some people who allergic to everything. If you're allergic to sleeping on latex, don't sleep on it. However being allergic to wearing latex gloves, for example, does not preclude you from sleeping on latex. It's a completely different situation.

Reply #24 May 29, 2011 3:45 PM
Phoebe2011, I would definitely go with a Flobeds in your situation. If you could send a piece of your mattress to flobeds with the info from the Tag or whatever you have on it, then they could probably approximate the feel you want. Flobeds will a) give you the chance to try it with various combinations of firmnesses, and b) will give you a refund minus shipping if you return it (Check their current policy, that's how it was a few years ago last time I checked). Go to http://www.flobeds.com/latex/index.htm .

I bought my latex at various places and created my own mattress but if you want an all latex mattress with no springs then I recommend flobeds, especially since you are concerned about spending money and ending up with an "albatross".

Reply #25 Feb 3, 2012 7:22 PM
xyz1ab wrote:

One word.

PUSHBACK.

Yes latex pushes back against your body and there are many people who don't find that comfortable.

Imagine sleeping on a surface that is pushing back against you all night. I hate to say this but that would not be a comfortable feeling.

In fact that creates pressure.  So Latex does not lead to pressure point relief.

I know this is an old post, but when people come across this I do want them to realize this is completely false statement. Latex does not push back against you any more than any other foam. Actualy Latex, HD Foam, Memory foam, Visco foam, etc... All push back against you with exactly the same force and it doesnt matter what density or compression ratio the foam is. They all push back against you with exactly the same force. The amount of force is determined by gravity. if you put 50lbs on top of any of those foams they will all sink until it has 50lbs pressure pushing back. and it works the same with all weights. Once it has 50lbs pressure pushing back you will stop sinking. How far you sink will depend on the compression ratio of the foam (ILD)

Push back for latex is a term created by poly foam manufactures to make their foam sound better and is just simply a false statement.

A way to test it. Take memory foam of 30ILD and take latex of 30ILD and apply 30 pounds per sq inch of pressure. If they both sink 1" then they have the same pushback.

Reply #26 Feb 3, 2012 11:59 PM
I still LOVE my Flobed Latex Kit mattress with three split  layers of XFirm over XFirm over Super Firm that I put a 1" soft topper over.  It looks like a real mattress with the zippered cover and my all natural latex pillows also make my sleep enjoyable. I wish I had found out about this bed years ago. I do not feel any push back from my bed and to me it the the most comfortable bed. But I did get frustrated trying out the layers and finally getting it right but now I see it was well worth it.  I also like the fact that if I met someone who would like his side less firm, I can buy a new latex layers since I have had my bed now since May 2007.  The XFirm layers and the topper is 100% natural Talalay Latex but the Super Firm latex cores are blended Talalay Latex. I have terrible allergies and have had no problems with my bed.
Reply #27 Feb 4, 2012 8:25 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:

The XFirm layers and the topper is 100% natural Talalay Latex but the Super Firm latex cores are blended Talalay Latex.

I'm glad to hear you love your flobed. I'm patiently wait the arrival of mine.

Just to let anyone reading this know, Latex International now makes the super firm in 100% natural talalay. I just ordered my new flobed with a layer of super firm in 100% natural.

Reply #28 Feb 4, 2012 10:58 AM
Why Latex does not work for people...

1.  they cover their latex with too much junk

2.  assume latex is a magical foam that lasts forever

3.  get too soft/firm latex without enough support/conformation

I get what the OP's talking about re: "pushback" though. It's definitely a different sensation than with other foams, especially memory foam.  For instance one's shoulders & hips might find the same depth in two given latex & MF layers, but the foam in between the shoulder & hip points that "rises" into the curve of your body will feel different- all MF needs to soften is exposure to heat, so if you sink just enough for the arch of your back to just touch that foam in between, you won't feel that same bubble like pressure into the arch of your back the same way you might with some latex, even if your hips & shoulders are sinking the same amount.  Latex does not back down from heat alone.  Not everyone likes that sensation, but it can be controlled with the right firmness or gradations of firmness, without losing its support.

I do like that bubble of pressure sensation though.  It's exactly the type of support I find my back needs.

Reply #29 Feb 4, 2012 12:06 PM
Megalops, thank you for letting me know!  When I ordered my bed, you had to buy the Super Firm in the blended. I like a very firm bed with just enough give and cushion and that is what my current bed is.  I can't wait to hear updates on your latex bed!

Recent Posts