Stearns & Foster Plush Euro-top VS Serta iComfort Revolution
Oct 4, 2011 2:01 PM

Husband - late 40's, moderate body frame (he's at an appropriate weight for his height)...he has some minor lower back pain (age-related, not injury-related)

Me - mid-40's, need to lose some weight.... I have GERD (acid reflux) and restless legs

Our current mattress is OLD.... it's a pillow-top queen and has been a very good mattress. We recently went on a cruise and the mattress on the ship was so comfy. Neither of us was achy in the morning and both of us slept the night through. It's listed as a Sealy Posturepedic Premium Plush Euro-top mattress.

The closest I've found is the S&F Clearbrook Plush Euro-top. We were about to buy when my husband sat (then layed) on the iComfort Revolution. I read all the posts on the iComfort, but wanted to see if there were any new reports, likes/dislikes or problems.

We can get the iComfort for $2800 (including delivery, set up and haul away) - that's with the adjustable foundation. Sounds like a good deal, but it's still $1000 more than the S&F. We haven't bought a new mattress in about 18 years...so I really appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Ginny

Re: Stearns & Foster Plush Euro-top VS Serta iComfort Revolution
Reply #7 Oct 7, 2011 7:20 PM
gdulaney wrote:

Great feedback.... we'll look at the cloud model and see how it feels.

Do you like having an adjustable base? My biggest concern is the motor going out.

Ginny

About the motor, I actually lean up while the motor is lifting the bed.  sounds like less stress on the motor.   The motors job is chill when lowering, but they work when lifting.  The warranty is only 1 year full part/labor, 2 years parts/no labor, then on your own. 

Having an adjustable base is certainly better than no adjustable, but not yet sure I will keep it.  For me, it is definitely better to adjust the head and foot sections up a little bit while lying on back.  However, I really don't sleep on my back.  If I feel a little indigestion and am just tired of laying on my side, it's a nice option to adjust it by one click of a preset.  I'll be comparing the usefulness vs. upgrading to a Queen size bed.  Only way to turn over in a twin is by lifting and turning.

About Intellibed - a mere 38 reviews on epinions yet first review was in 2005.  Data collected from 9 owners on sleeplikethedead.  Buying it would be a leap of faith.

Seems to be no Intellibed retailers.  There are over 80 Tempurpedic retail stores listed from their site ... in the SF Bay Area alone.

This message was modified Oct 7, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #8 Oct 8, 2011 4:10 AM
Good_Sleep wrote:

$2800 for an unproven product is a lot of money.  

She is not  paying $2800 for an unproven product.

Alot  of that budget is for the adjustable base,probably an L&P.

Serta IComfort is unproven,that is why it is so much cheaper than a comparable TP.

My first generic memory foam mattress lasted 12 years.

My next mattress is DIY version of the Grand Bed with Foamex pieces.

I have had it for four years and expect it will last at least 12 years total.

It has been almost 20 years for memory foam mattresses in the USA.

TP was founded in 1992.

You can't live on hype alone for that many years.

If the beds were horrible they would be almost no market for them instead of a growing market with new players.

And I would get the Icomfort over the S&F. They are supposed to be the best innerspring S-brand mattress but I think they are horrible.

That is the guest bed I sleep in when I visit my best friend.

Reply #9 Oct 8, 2011 7:41 AM
DeeAgeaux wrote:

You can't live on hype alone for that many years.

Not sure about that one.  We see it all around us, and not just in the mattress industry. 

Reply #10 Oct 9, 2011 5:20 PM
After getting rid of our Sealy Posturpedic plush pillowtop mattress (which was terribly saggy after 7 years), we just saved a lot of money and got a better quality product by buying a medium firm (not plush) mattress set and adding our own toppers instead of a pillowtop.  Plush pillowtop mattresses tend to have the shortest lifespan, both because the springs are softer/thinner and because the pillowtop is made of cheap, soft foams that wear out quickly.  If you buy your own toppers, you can get higher quality materials (we bought a 2" layer of zoned convoluted memory foam and a 3" layer of soft latex + foam) and just add layers until you get the perfect amount of cushion.  Meanwhile, the mattress underneath the toppers will be firm enough that it won't sag or suck you both into a crater in the middle of the bed.  If you need an adjustable bed due to your acid reflux, this may not work for you, but I also suffer from it a little, and going to sleep with a pillow under my back and two pillows under my head has worked so far for me.

We love the Westin Heavenly Bed (the individually pocketed coils make the bed quiet and I don't feel it when my husband gets into or out of bed), so we looked up the specs and replicated it by starting with the Simmons Beautyrest Classic plush-firm mattress set ($674) and adding our own "pillowtop" with the latex and memory foam toppers.  We put the latex topper on top of the memory foam topper, since memory foam is hot next to the skin and latex isn't.  Including the toppers, the total cost came to around $1,060 for a bed that feels *incredible* and won't have to be replaced in just a few years.  When it starts feeling less comfortable, we can just replace the toppers or the mattress instead of spending $2,000 - $2,500 for a new plush pillowtop mattress set.

This message was modified Oct 9, 2011 by Vlaurend

Recent Posts