Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #195 Oct 2, 2011 10:31 PM
We've been mattress hunting and had narrowed it down to a Stearns and Foster Plush and then my husband sat down on the iComfort. He really likes the Revolution with the adjustable base. The price was outlandish, but I told the sales associate that if she could get it down to $2800 out the door, including delivery, set up and haul away, we'd do it. I NEVER thought she'd be able to go that low. I seriously underestimated the desire to sell a bed.

So.... first --- we haven't taken delivery yet....so it's not a "done" deal....  Did we get a good buy?  Is it better than the S&F (which is not adjustable nor does it have a built in massager).

Advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you :)

Reply #196 Oct 2, 2011 10:56 PM
I slept on a new iComfort Revolution for 4 weeks on matching box spring.  It's a very plush mattress.  Seems it should qualify as an 'ultra plush' mattress because I believe pretty much anyone would sink down a fair amount into it.  I went that plush because I have an old injury / surgery to right shoulder and was serious about being able to spend more time sleeping on that right shoulder instead of turning on to it, then having to turn back over a few minutes later.

So, it was plush enough to lay on right shoulder more, but I sunk in so much, my neck starting getting tweaked a couple weeks into it.  I would turn my head and could hear a scraping sound in my neck.  It was all over at 4 weeks.  Had to get something else.

Two thing I discovered was, by measuring, there was not a total of 4.75" of memory foam as on ad board, but 5.75".  I didn't like that.  If you look on Sears site, it will say Revolutions are 11.75" total, and they are, but all iComforts have 6" core foam, so take the difference and it mateches what I measured also.  I like companies who actually put what they say they put into their mattresses.

Also, the box spring at the surface was bent downward permanently.  An 8" gap all down the center of those box springs allows the two rods that run the length head to toe to bend downward probably over 1/4" or so.  If box sags, so does mattress.

On the plus side, the odor was so slight off the mattress, it was a non issue.  My Tempurpedic still has a slight odor after 3 weeks.  It slept a little too warm for me, especially being sunk in so much.  It was crafted well. 

One other thing I didn't like was the 'all important' law tag was simply stuck onto the tag sewn into the mattress, stuck on like a Post It.  One could easily peel off the law tag and put on another.  Sketchy if you ask me and should be illegal.  But, I looked up law tag requirements, and they only need to be 'securely attached'.  Apparently don't have to be sewn in which I think is BS.

This message was modified Oct 2, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #197 Oct 10, 2011 12:38 AM
KathyInSanDiego wrote:

I've just purchased the IComfort Revolution for $2200+ last month and boy am I sorry!  I wish to God I had bought the Sleep Numbers bed instead but now it's too late.  Take your time with this decision and don't rush into like I did!

If you just bought the bed why is it too late?? Unlike the sleep number beds, the iComfort beds have a 120 day trial  I bought my Insight from Sears last month.... I had 30 days to exchange it and still have another 90 days to return it and get back the purchase price -10% from Serta.  You should check with Serta if you are unhappy with the bed.  I myself don't plan on taking mine back.  It is by far the best foam bed I have slept on for the money and far cooler(temp) than the Tempur bed I used to own. 

Reply #198 Oct 11, 2011 1:45 AM
gregg wrote:

If you just bought the bed why is it too late?? Unlike the sleep number beds, the iComfort beds have a 120 day trial  I bought my Insight from Sears last month.... I had 30 days to exchange it and still have another 90 days to return it and get back the purchase price -10% from Serta.  You should check with Serta if you are unhappy with the bed.  I myself don't plan on taking mine back.  It is by far the best foam bed I have slept on for the money and far cooler(temp) than the Tempur bed I used to own. 

But, does Sears honor the 120 Serta trial period or does their wimpy 30 day policy override it?  Getting straight, consistent answers from Sears is very difficult.  It depends on who you talk to. 

Tell ya one thing, just switched out my Tempurpedic adjustable for the fixed foundation.  I looked into the bottom foundaton fabric on the Tempurpedic.  That sucker is fully braced right down the center / top surface of the foundation.  Not going to sag unlike the cheeseball Stabl base that was delivered to me. 

Reply #199 Oct 11, 2011 12:49 PM
Getting our iComfort Insight delivered Friday. We like plush.... wondering if there are any Insight owners out there that had a problem with it being "too" plush?
Reply #200 Oct 11, 2011 5:23 PM
"If you just bought the bed why is it too late?? Unlike the sleep number beds, the iComfort beds have a 120 day trial  I bought my Insight from Sears last month.... I had 30 days to exchange it and still have another 90 days to return it and get back the purchase price -10% from Serta.  You should check with Serta if you are unhappy with the bed.  I myself don't plan on taking mine back.  It is by far the best foam bed I have slept on for the money and far cooler(temp) than the Tempur bed I used to own." 

Excellent first post.  Spoken like a true salesman.  I have heard of folks sleeping hot in Tempurpedic (Mostly on the internet and mattress companies selling against them). I just don't know of anyone in my circle of friends that have had this problem.  Slpngoc has owned both.  I'll go with his experience.  I sleep hot on every bed I've owned.  The Tempur. doesn't sleep any hotter than anything else I've owned.  More or less blankets for temperature control.  That's it.  My tempur. will be around long after the icomfort disappears, i bet.

Reply #201 Oct 14, 2011 1:24 AM
What size mattress did you get for 2800?

Did it come with a base?

Reply #202 Oct 18, 2011 7:40 PM
Solare wrote:

Getting our iComfort Insight delivered Friday. We like plush.... wondering if there are any Insight owners out there that had a problem with it being "too" plush?

Just got my insight this morning, and it is much firmer than I thought it would be.  I slept on it right away, as I work nights and it was dielivered @ 10 AM as I was just getting off of a 14 hr nursing shift, sore back and I slept like a baby for 6+ hrs.  I had a memory foam topper on an old mattress, and thought this new mattress would be soft like the old topper, but it is VERY firm, but it was very comfortable.  I will see how I sleep when I am not exhausted and could sleep anywhere.

This message was modified Oct 18, 2011 by Amyjrn
Reply #203 Oct 19, 2011 5:23 PM
Hi, Bronson:

Let me just say that I am NOT a salesperson.  I, too, have been looking to others for advice on a new mattress and/or pillow for a while.

Two years ago, we broke down and bought a Tempurpedic.  In the store, it was nice and soft.  We didn't buy the top of the line, but the way it appeared in the store, it seemed we did not need to.

When it arrived, it really gave off a smell.  That smells lasted for days! Also, my husband and I aren't heavy people (110 and 150).  We would lie on the mattress and it wouldn't give at all.  Very weird and hard to explain.  After living with it for a couple of weeks, we decided to return it within the time period allowed.  We bought it at a furniture store, so our only other choices were even MORE expensive Tempurpedic mattresses or your standard coil mattresses.  We thought we needed something firm so we ended up with a pretty firm Laura Ashley mattress.  After a while, we bought a gel memory topper and decided to "make do," even though one or both of us would wake up each morning with lower and/or upper back pain.

We thought about the Sleep Comfort bed, but with the mixed reviews I kept reading on quality, I was reluctant to even try one because or our experience with the Tempurpedic (which also gets mixed reviews, but we had decided to take a chance).

One day, I had enough, so we went to "look" at mattresses at a mattress store and tried the iComfort.  We chose one that was not the best seller, but the one a step above that (in price and firmness).  We tried an even more firm one, too, but that seemed like the bed we already had, so we went with the semi-firm one.  We also broke down and got the adjustable base.  This was a huge splurge, I know, but we went with the 3-year, no interest deal, which allows us to pay it over time and makes the cost a little more palatable.

Mind you, I should add that this was also at a point where I was even trying new pillows on our existing bed, hoping that maybe I could get away with having to spend less because it was the pillow's "fault,"

We've had the bed for 3 nights, now.  I think we got the iComfort "Prodigy."  The mattress had very minimal odor, which was something we had been worried about.  The salesperson said we could place a cut apple on a plate on the bed (obviously while we weren't in it) to help absorb odor, but honestly, we didn't need to.  The first night was a little getting used to, but even after that 1st night, we both woke up with NO back pain.  It's the perfect firmness for my hip support.

One thing I need to work on, still, however, is my pillow. We got them to give us the iComfort pillow for free, and I also ordered a Talay latex one. So, while the bed supports our hips and back perfectly, I still have an issue with my shoulder.  So, it's like I need a little LESS firmness for my hips, and a little something else for my shoulder, as my arms and shoulders get a little numb while sleeping (so, maybe its too hard on the shoulder area??).  I'm trying my Side Sleeper Pro pillow with the bed tonight to see if that works.

But, for now, it is SO worth it to not hobble around like an 90-year-old when I get out of bed in the morning.

And, we absolutely LOVE the adjustable feature. So much more comfortable to sit up in bed!

I'll try and post how things are after a couple of weeks.

Reply #204 Oct 20, 2011 1:18 PM
I recently purchased the serta icomfort genius mattress sleep system and I couldn't be more happy with it!. I spent a lot of time at Macys trying out all the mattresses. At the time there were many other people in that department as well and all but one of us (he wanted a very low  price) chose the icomfort, which had only been in the store about a week at that time. I have long standing back problems and this bed, compared to all the others I tried, is like sleeping on a cloud, yet it was also firm enough so that there is no sagging. I actually look  forward to going to sleep at night! It is the best mattress I have ever owned.  I did detect an odor at first but it dissipated after about 4 days.

Recent Posts