Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #185 Sep 12, 2011 2:26 PM
junebug82 wrote:

My husband and I just got a Serta icomfort Genius,after sleeping on a old spring mattress for years.We have slept on it for two nights and it just seems to stiff and I wake up with a kink in my back.Is it that I am adjusting to the new bed and that it needs to be broken in. Has anyone else had the same experience? If so does it get better?

I actually sell Icomforts, the way the Genius is made does make for a much more firm bed than all of the other Icomforts.  If you like firm, but wish still for great support you might try the Insight.  We've had the Genius in for a short period of time, but most prefer the Insight over it.

Also, for others thinking the boxes are dipping, making sure you have a good solid frame.  If you were sold a new one, make sure all connections are made and tightly done.  Almost anytime we see a problem it's frame related.  I realize there are a lot of dealers out there, and lots of information, some bad and some good, but our practice is to provide a very heavy duty frame for only $38, powder coated, and double support down the middle to ensure a long lasting great frame.  Something so little in cost can damage the best of beds :)

From a dealers standpoint I will say that we still have not had one Icomfort returned.  We have had comfort exchanges to go softer or firmer, but all have been thrilled with the overall performance and sleeping well.  don't hesitate to ask me any questions.  If it's any thought at all, I had a 7 month old Perfect Day luxury bed that I gave to my sister in law to get the Icomfort Prodigy :)  yes I LOVE IT!!! (oh, and if you have never slept on an adjustible bed, you do not know what you are missing.  I would even go as far as saying I would subsitute a bit of comfort and go with the Insight, and add the adjustible rather than getting the prodigy flat.  Our price on that is $2574 for the queen.  Thanks and sleep well.

Doug

Reply #186 Sep 12, 2011 4:07 PM
clrcopy wrote:

I actually sell Icomforts, the way the Genius is made does make for a much more firm bed than all of the other Icomforts.  If you like firm, but wish still for great support you might try the Insight.  We've had the Genius in for a short period of time, but most prefer the Insight over it.

Also, for others thinking the boxes are dipping, making sure you have a good solid frame.  If you were sold a new one, make sure all connections are made and tightly done.  Almost anytime we see a problem it's frame related.  I realize there are a lot of dealers out there, and lots of information, some bad and some good, but our practice is to provide a very heavy duty frame for only $38, powder coated, and double support down the middle to ensure a long lasting great frame.  Something so little in cost can damage the best of beds :)

From a dealers standpoint I will say that we still have not had one Icomfort returned.  We have had comfort exchanges to go softer or firmer, but all have been thrilled with the overall performance and sleeping well.  don't hesitate to ask me any questions.  If it's any thought at all, I had a 7 month old Perfect Day luxury bed that I gave to my sister in law to get the Icomfort Prodigy :)  yes I LOVE IT!!! (oh, and if you have never slept on an adjustible bed, you do not know what you are missing.  I would even go as far as saying I would subsitute a bit of comfort and go with the Insight, and add the adjustible rather than getting the prodigy flat.  Our price on that is $2574 for the queen.  Thanks and sleep well.

Doug

I don't really know which pattern of box spring rods the icomfort's come with.  Mine had the Simmons / Serta pattern and the Revolution twin at Sears Newpark had the Sealy / S&F pattern.

My icomfort Stabl base box spring sagged.  I had it on a $110 L&G heavy duty frame, 6 legs with heavy duty center rail on the twin setting.

The problem is the vertical support rods in the twins have a 3 - 2 - 2 - 3 pattern.  Between those two 2's, there is 8" gap between vertical support rods from head to toe.  There are surface rods criss crossing, but with 8" gap, they sag down a bit.   I wonder how much it would have sagged if there was no center rail on the frame.  Those center slats from head to toe are just not meant to bear all that weight.  I think they're only 1" thick wood, and wood bends.

I think Serta (and Simmons) should use the Sealy / S&F box spring layout which as vertical rods every 4", from side to side.  Not going to sag.

This message was modified Sep 12, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #187 Sep 12, 2011 7:37 PM
nogluten4me wrote:

We just got back from the store and bought the Revolution with the adjustable frame and I bought a pillow. I suffer fromFibromyalgia along with some other issues and a Tempur-Pedic was recommended to me. But I liked the icomfort revolution better and my husband and I purchased that one. I will be back on with a review but this was very helpful.

Thought that you wouild like to know that we purchased the I Comfort Revolution Queen two months ago. After 30+ years years on our old spring mattress, my wife was feeling the springs where ever she slept. While she has not been diagnosed with filbromyalgia, she has a nerve sensistivity that made laying on the old bed very painful.

We have been totally happy with the I Comfort,especially noting that there is no reverberation when someone moves or gets on or off the bed. . While she has a hard time getting out of bed or pushing up to a sitting position, I have ordered the adjustable lift and are looking forward to it.

Will keep all updated, when it arrives.

Reply #188 Sep 12, 2011 8:33 PM

"While she has a hard time getting out of bed or pushing up to a sitting position, I have ordered the adjustable lift and are looking forward to it."

Oh, your wife is probably going to love this! I am sure that you tested this out in the store, and the adjustable base will gently raise her to a seated position. And I would imagine that some of the other settings, such as the 0G, might also be comfortable for her ... I really hope so. 

I wasn't sure about getting the adjustable base at first, but even though it hasn't all gone smoothly for me, I am remain convinced that this is going to be a big quality of life enhancer.

Reply #189 Sep 16, 2011 8:21 PM
I have a Simmons Beautyrest that was supposed to be top of the line.  It is now sagging in the middle, and I don't even sleep in the middle.  I actually sleep on one side of the bed like if two people were in the bed, but I sleep alone.  I had a car accident a few years ago and have had back trouble ever since.  I am not sleeping well in my present bed, and it's not really that old.  I sleep better when I am in a good hotel that has good-quality, firm mattresses than I do at home.  Heck, I even sleep better on the couch than I do in my bed!  So I have been looking.

Someone suggested the Serta beds that were on sale at Big Lots.  They said they bought one and loved it better than their much more expensive bed.  I looked at them, but decided to look at others too.  After looking around, I decided that the Big Lots beds were NOT what I wanted.  I questioned the quality for one thing.  I have looked at Tempur-Pedics several times.  The Rhapsody bed seems to be the one I would want if I purchased one of those.  But on a recent visit to a local furniture store, I also tried out the Serta iComfort Genius bed.  I loved it!  I sank in to the Tempur-Pedic enough that when I turned over I could still feel the indentions under me from where I had been positioned before, even on the Rhapsody.  I did not like that.  But on the iComfort Genius, that did not happen.  I have been looking and looking and had no idea what I really wanted, but I was very impressed with the Genius bed.  It was firm which is what I need, but it also felt wonderful.  I really like the cover too.  It looks very upscale, but very welcoming too.

I started doing some research and found this forum.  I have read every post in this thread (all 188 so far!) and really appreciate the information.  It's a shame that mattress buying is such a confusing process.  According to research, there's more confusion and more complaints over mattress purchases by consumers than nearly any other product!  That shouldn't be.  One store may have a model and call it by one name, while another store may have the exact same model and call it by another name.  Or maybe only the covering is different, or the stitching.  It's crazy!  Try shopping online for a mattress that you see in one store, even on manufacturers' websites, even with big names like Serta!  There's this veil of mystery that surrounds it all!  That's one positive thing about Tempur-Pedic.  A Rhapsody bed in one store is a Rhapsody bed in another store.  On the flip side of that, the Rhapsody price in one store is the Rhapsody price in another store.  I think Serta is going with that strategy as well with the iComfort.  Only it seems from what I have found so far that there is a little more flexibility in pricing with the iComfort beds.  And what a difference in pricing there is between TP and iC!  The queen-size Rhapsody bed was around $3,200 compared with around $1,300 for the Genius!

I don't know.  I'm still undecided, but unless I find something I like better, I'm so far very impressed with the Genius iComfort.  I guess I'm just as confused as everyone else!  I don't plan to purchase right away, but hopefully by year's end.  I will be very interested to read updates from purchasers of iComforts, particularly the Genius.  Of all the complaints I've read, none have really been about the Genius in particular.  Then again, not as many people have purchased the Genius.  Perhaps it's a newer product in the line and not as many people have had opportunity to sample it long term.  Or perhaps not as many people want a mattress quite that firm.  I'm not sure.  Anyway, I will be anxious to read your opinions.  Keep 'em coming!  And thanks for posting!  Purchasing a mattress is a huge buying decision, not just in price, but in the quality of your life!  I think we as consumers need to unite and have a mattress buying revolution in the marketplace!

Vive les rêveurs!

Reply #190 Sep 16, 2011 11:07 PM
FieldofDreams wrote:

I don't know.  I'm still undecided, but unless I find something I like better, I'm so far very impressed with the Genius iComfort.  I guess I'm just as confused as everyone else!  I don't plan to purchase right away, but hopefully by year's end.  I will be very interested to read updates from purchasers of iComforts, particularly the Genius.  Of all the complaints I've read, none have really been about the Genius in particular.  Then again, not as many people have purchased the Genius.  Perhaps it's a newer product in the line and not as many people have had opportunity to sample it long term.  Or perhaps not as many people want a mattress quite that firm.  I'm not sure.  Anyway, I will be anxious to read your opinions.  Keep 'em coming!  And thanks for posting!  Purchasing a mattress is a huge buying decision, not just in price, but in the quality of your life!  I think we as consumers need to unite and have a mattress buying revolution in the marketplace!

Vive les rêveurs!

Every Genius model I've laid on is awfully firm.  They have a 2" support foam layer underneath the 2.75" gel memory foam and that support foam must be quite firm.  I've always thought it's a little strange to have your 2nd model as the most firm in the lineup.

Reply #191 Sep 18, 2011 1:54 PM
I've just purchased the IComfort Revolution for $2200+ last month and boy am I sorry!  I wish to God I had bought the Sleep Numbers bed instead but now it's too late.  Take your time with this decision and don't rush into like I did!
Reply #192 Sep 18, 2011 6:11 PM
My wife and I just puchased a King Serta Genius.  We have slept on it for the past 2 nights.  Our initial thoughts are that it is much more firm than the model we tested in the store.  We did not detect a strange smell as some others have posted.  We did not have an issue with the bed sleeping hot.  I slept much better the second night but I am hoping te mattress softens up a bit.  We are going to keep sleeping on it for the trial period and decide later if we may want to go back to the insight model.  I will post a follow up.
Reply #193 Sep 18, 2011 7:35 PM
KathyInSanDiego wrote:

I've just purchased the IComfort Revolution for $2200+ last month and boy am I sorry!  I wish to God I had bought the Sleep Numbers bed instead but now it's too late.  Take your time with this decision and don't rush into like I did!

What's wrong with the mattress?  Did it only come with a 30 day refund/exchange period (is it from sears?).

As for trying it out, it can be extrememly tricky to see if it will work or not.  For example, all the 2 of the Revolution models I tried were on adjustable bases.  Those have solid tops are will not sag one bit.  I laid on them for a while, knew they were plush, but I really couldn't sense any back or neck twisting.  But, the one I bought came with a box spring foundation where the support rods in the center dipped and sagged a little.  After a couple weeks my neck started getting tweaked a little - every morning, turn my head and there was some popping and lots of abrasive noise when turning my head. 

No way to know the above when trying out the mattress.  But I think in general if you're sinking quite a bit into a mattress it may not be good for you.  Not sure though.

Reply #194 Sep 25, 2011 3:17 PM
Well we finally did it, purchased a new bed after years and months of  sleeping in the lazyboy because of back pain, we kept buying new toppers hoping to avoid the cost of a new mattress. We went to RC Willey to "just look" at new mattresses. I knew I wanted an adjustable bed, split king. So we found the adjustable beds in the store, then went mattress hopping, started out with the cheapest finally landing on the Serta IComfort, Revolution, we both thought we were in Heaven ! There were several different couples looking at the same bed stating they had friends that bought them and LOVED them. We laid on the bed for a good hour and did not want to get up. Before leaving the store we purched the Revolution IComfort and the Leggett and Platt adjustable bed frame, it was $650 cheaper then the adjustable bed frame from Serta. It was delivered the next day and fit perfectly in our bed frame, headboard and footboard. It had a slight odor, but not too much, and it was firmer than in the store, but with the adjustable bed, it didnt matter. Our sales lady told us to soften it, walk on the beds to help break them in.  It has been 10 days of complete heaven for us and the split adjustable bed was the best purchase we have ever made. The only drawback is finding sheets that fit an adjustable bed, you have to order them on line.  We made due with what we had and just tucked them under the bed. I had trouble with the memory foam topper we got from Costco sleeping very hot ( my husband did not have that problem ) so I was leary of my new mattress sleeping hot, IT DOES NOT !  I am so happy. Besides if you dont like your mattress for any reason Serta gives you a 120 day return !!!  That is the reason we went ahead and bought it that night along with our stores 30 day price match guarantee, why wait ? Oh, the vibrating part of the bed is AWESOME, we thought we would not use it but it is awesome and it automatically goes off in 30 minutes, just enough to rock us to sleep at night :)

Recent Posts