Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #28 May 6, 2011 3:58 AM
Hi Dave-

My wife and I were extremely excited for our California King Icomfort Insight.  When it arrived, we were taken aback by the extremely strong smell.  Being that we live close by to you near Crystal Lake, Illinois, it was cold when the mattress was delivered on April 1st.  The first 2-3 nights, it was unbearable to even enter the room due to the intense smell expelled from this mattress.  We opened the windows completely even though it was 40 degrees outside, turned the bedroom ceiling fan on high, and had a space heater going in the room to at least keep it a little warmer.  We did this for about 60 straight hours before finally being able to sleep in our new bed.  

We let the bed air out before placing our Protect A Bed mattress protector over it.  The smell was still present in moderate strength for the first 10 days then it became less noticeable.  Our dog who sleeps with us in our room every night, would not enter our bedroom to sleep with us for 7 days due to the smell.  

So once we were able to sleep on it, both my wife and I suffered from neck and lower back/hip soreness for the next 4-5 days(I am 29 she is 27 and we were both Collegiate athletes in great shape with no aches).  On about the 6th day it finally was starting to feel comfortable for the next 2.5 weeks.  Now at about the 3 week mark of having this mattress, the spot where I sleep already feels as though it has lost its firmness.  Right where my buttocks hits the mattress, it now sinks straight in and doesnt provide ample support of my body.  I am 6'6 240lbs in case you are wondering.  So when I lay in the bed now, it feels as though my legs are elevated, it feels like my butt sinks way too far in and it feels like my head is way too high up even with a flat pillow or the memory foam pillow.  It is giving me the hammock feeling you are describing.

Upon going back to our store, we were told that it may of been a manufacturing defect, and in all honesty, it may be.  Nonetheless my wife and I decided that with the lack of feedback/reviews on this line and the bad experience we had, it would be wiser to try a more traditional mattress.  We were afraid that if this could occur at 30 days with the memory foam losing its support, that what would it be like in 1-3 years.  Also as you should also know, sleep innovations does provide an almost identical memory foam mattress at costco under the brand Novaform for less than 50% of the cost. 

If you want a king Icomfort, you can just do this, here is the Icomfort line for less. The king size Icomfort Insight is ONLY 8 inches and will cost you 1299.99 for the mattress alone. The Icomfort line is overpriced for the quality of the mattress especially when compared to the same manufacturers line at another place with the same technology and thicker mattresses. Just my .02

Gel infused 12inch memory foam King Size 799.99

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11621550&search=memory+foam&Mo=6&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043%204294967224&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&D=memory+foam&Ntt=memory+foam&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

This message was modified May 6, 2011 by petes67bird
Reply #29 May 6, 2011 3:15 PM
Well,  I've been sleeping on the mattress for a few weeks now, and it's really great except I just couldn't get used to it's "firmness".  It is really lacking in the "cushy" department, so last week I bought a down/featherbed topper for it and now it's heaven!  I have the softness I desire along with wonderful support. 

My husband tended to get warm, and the featherbed alleviated that as well.  As for myself, I really wasn't noticeably warmer than normal...I find it odd that he thought the bed did sleep hot because I'm normally the one kicking off the covers in the middle of the night.  Who knows.  Bottom line is I feel the mattress was a good purchase and a sound investment.  I sleep much better now than on that crappy pillow top.

Reply #30 May 6, 2011 3:21 PM
One more note:  Pete is right...GET THE WATERPROOF COVER or Serta will NOT honor the warranty!  I found that out the hardway.  And I didn't have the slightest issue with odor.  I'm scratching my head wondering what people are talking about...wonder if the waterproof cover acts as a barrier against the smell? Whatever the case, I haven't noticed any odor at all coming from the mattress.
Reply #31 May 6, 2011 4:05 PM
marmitenot wrote:

One more note:  Pete is right...GET THE WATERPROOF COVER or Serta will NOT honor the warranty!  I found that out the hardway.  And I didn't have the slightest issue with odor.  I'm scratching my head wondering what people are talking about...wonder if the waterproof cover acts as a barrier against the smell? Whatever the case, I haven't noticed any odor at all coming from the mattress.

Update.  I am sitting here waiting for my comfort exchange to arrive.  So I prepped the exchange by removing all sheets and the Protect A Bed cover off of the mattress.  The smell came right back and had to open the windows.  So Marmitenot, yes the mattress protector does hold the smell in a bit.  We were told when we bought it to leave it like they delivered it for a bit to "air" out the mattress per Serta reccommendations.  I am happy you dont have the smell as it really is unbearable at least for sensitive people like us.  I will update later once we get our Vera Wang.  Here is to hoping we get the mattress we like.  Good luck to everyone.

Reply #32 May 6, 2011 7:10 PM
Gotta love it, delivered the wrong mattress AGAIN, I am ready to explode.
Reply #33 May 6, 2011 11:47 PM
Shoot, Pete! My gosh - how frustrating and disappointing.

I am wondering how prevalent a "bait and switch" tactic is in the mattress market. I've read so many reviews on this forum where the model that someone tries in the showroom seems completely different from the mattress that is delivered. Is it possible that some dealers put out a model on the floor that is more "plush" than the actual model that is delivered? I had to wonder if something like that was going on when the store I bought a mattress from told me, the day of delivery, that they had sold "my mattress" to someone else, but had another one just like it across the valley that they could get for me the following day. Then when i refused that, they tried to "upgrade" my mattress, "for free," just to make me happy. I felt like I was being set up for a bait-and-switch tactic, especially since once I accepted delivery, there would be no way to return it. It was hard enough to get my money back as it was, and I had to fight tooth and nail.

I don't know - just wondering if something like the traditional bait-and-switch might be part of the shadier repertoir employed by some mattress dealers....

Reply #34 May 9, 2011 1:12 PM
Hi Everyone-

Delivery came today on our Vera Wang Cal King Natural Poise Super Pillow Top.  They took back the Icomfort after really looking the mattress over.  For those of you who want to purchase an Icomfort and are basing it on the 120 night trial, be sure to get the mattress protector as the trial/exchange will be void if there are any stains or soiling.  Mattress right now is "airing" out, initial impressions are good, feels as though even though it is EXTREMELY soft/plush, it still provides a great amount of support that I was looking for.  The Icomfort conformed nicely to my body for about 3 weeks, and then it started to just sink/sag in without any conforming.  Hopefully the Vera Wang will be better, but only time will tell. I will post a review of the bed once I have enough time with it, at least a couple weeks. If anyone has any questions regarding either bed, please let me know and I will do my best to help you out.

Reply #35 May 11, 2011 9:04 PM
Thanks Dave for your response and expertise. After nearly 2 weeks my mattress has not softened at all. Believe me, I recognize that all mattresses will be an adjustment but sleeping shouldn't be pure torture. Putting the pain aside, I bought this mattress because of the plushness; it has not softened at all since its delivery. I have the Revolution so it should be exceptionally soft. This isn't just a matter of me not adjusting. It's a matter of false advertisement or, unfortunately, a defect in the product. I shouldn't have to sacrifice sleep for weeks or months until the mattress "breaks in."

I am so disappointed in this mattress and I believe that there should be a sort of disclaimer telling people that it may be quite a while for the mattress to soften, that is if it softens at all. I am much too young to have back and neck pain day after day. I haven't slept well since this mattress was delivered. I am not a "Debbie Downer" sort of person but without sleep I cannot function and I'm miserable. I spent 2 straight months last Summer traveling all over the world. I went all over South Africa, Europe, Great Britain, and Dubai. In those 2 months I had not one problem with an uncomfortable mattress. I'm a pretty tough cookie but I draw the line at this dreadful mattress. Getting a good night's sleep every night is an essential.

This message was modified May 11, 2011 by astinia
Reply #36 May 11, 2011 10:54 PM
astinia wrote:

Thanks Dave for your response and expertise. After nearly 2 weeks my mattress has not softened at all. Believe me, I recognize that all mattresses will be an adjustment but sleeping shouldn't be pure torture. Putting the pain aside, I bought this mattress because of the plushness; it has not softened at all since its delivery. I have the Revolution so it should be exceptionally soft. This isn't just a matter of me not adjusting. It's a matter of false advertisement or, unfortunately, a defect in the product. I shouldn't have to sacrifice sleep for weeks or months until the mattress "breaks in."

I am so disappointed in this mattress and I believe that there should be a sort of disclaimer telling people that it may be quite a while for the mattress to soften, that is if it softens at all. I am much too young to have back and neck pain day after day. I haven't slept well since this mattress was delivered. I am not a "Debbie Downer" sort of person but without sleep I cannot function and I'm miserable. I spent 2 straight months last Summer traveling all over the world. I went all over South Africa, Europe, Great Britain, and Dubai. In those 2 months I had not one problem with an uncomfortable mattress. I'm a pretty tough cookie but I draw the line at this dreadful mattress. Getting a good night's sleep every night is an essential.

Return it at your first available date.  I am gonna be starting night number 3 on the Vera Wang Natural Poise Super Pillow Top, so far so good.   The first night I was a little sore, but only cause the mattress is so plush and soft.  So far the bed feels like you are really sleeping on a cloud.  It is really soft, you cant feel the springs at all and seems to be a good buy.  I am giving it more time until I actually do a review though as its only 2 nights thus far and things can surely change.   Here is to hope and I wish you all the best luck, sorry about your bad experience with the Icomfort. My issue with the bed is that the Icomfort lost its conforming ability and just sank in after 30 days.  Your problem is something different, maybe there is an issue with quality control on these mattresses as they are so new?  Who knows.

Reply #37 May 15, 2011 5:59 AM
Thanks. I am so glad that you're (so far) happy with the Vera Wang. I have now moved onto the ground and am using a sleeping bag. haha. It's sad, really, but it's actually more comfortable. I have to wait 30 days before I return it. I only have 13 more to go. Huzzah! I am counting down the days. I will look back on this experience as a little mattress adventure. :) In the future, I will wait until a newer product is more established and has more reviews, no more experimenting for me!

Recent Posts