Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #18 May 3, 2011 10:00 PM
What happens is they send it back to serta but they are charged a fee.  It goes under a comfort exchange as you can do so within 120 days.  These beds are not comfortable  in my opinion.  I cannot wait for friday to go back to a normal mattress.
Reply #19 May 3, 2011 11:36 PM
I very much agree; they are too uncomfortable.  I was told by the lady at JCP customer service that information about it not being usable after a return. I wasn't aware that they are charged a fee. Please let us know how you like the Vera Wang mattress. I would genuinely be grateful for a quick review from you because I now need to start looking at new mattresses. Thank you so much for your help and insight.
Reply #20 May 3, 2011 11:45 PM
TBH- If we had a choice to purchase from a different vendor, I would of chosen that.  The only reason we chose to step up to the Vera Wang was because of limited choices. Out of what was left, it was the last one standing.  It feels extremely comfortable "in the store." LOL.  If we had our choice all over again, we would of stayed with Verlo.  If anything goes wrong with Verlo, they will pickup the bed and adjust whatever it is for a fee.  So lets say your pillow top is flat or the bed isnt firm enough, they are able to replace the material to make your bed newor firmer again.  They make the mattress right in the store and you can choose exactly your comfort.  Should of stayed local, I guess in 5-7 years we will have that choice to make all over again. 

I will do a quick follow up on here for you regarding the Vera Wang, but I will do it in two parts.  I will do one after 3 days(more of initial impressions, initital comfot, any smells etc.) and one after a week or two, as it takes a little time to get used to a new sleeping surface.  Good luck to you. 

This message was modified May 3, 2011 by petes67bird
Reply #21 May 4, 2011 9:56 PM
We have one night in on our icomfort insight king mattress.  As far as early first impressions go, we are very disappointed.  It is very very firm mattress, not what we recall from the showroom.  Our purchase states we must sleep on it for 30 nights and then we can exchange to a different bed.  I hope tonight is better, but first impression leaves us feeling a little sick about this purchase.  I would advise others to not dip into the icomfort test pod.
Reply #22 May 4, 2011 9:59 PM
Sleepright wrote:

We have one night in on our icomfort insight king mattress.  As far as early first impressions go, we are very disappointed.  It is very very firm mattress, not what we recall from the showroom.  Our purchase states we must sleep on it for 30 nights and then we can exchange to a different bed.  I hope tonight is better, but first impression leaves us feeling a little sick about this purchase.  I would advise others to not dip into the icomfort test pod.

Can you please help others by being a little more detailed.  Did you notice a smell?  Did you give it adequate time to "warm" up to room temperature? Etc.

Reply #23 May 4, 2011 10:52 PM
The bed is just very hard, like sleeping on the floor.  There is a faint smell, but I can live with that aspect.  I suspect the smell will fade away as is the case with many new products that one buys now-a-days.  I really don't want to be so harsh on my review after just one night, but I didn't think I was buying a new car with a break-in period.   A bed should be comfortable on the first night, in my eyes.  Temperature of the mattress is irrelevant.  We are in the south, bed was delivered when it was 70F outside.  I normally am a 'purchase after heavy research' type of person, but with iComfort, seemed like a rather safe bet - it is just a mattress after all, right?  Straight up new foam bed with a slight twist (gel)?  I wished I would have forked out the extra cash for a Tempur-Pedic - at least the approval ratings are in the 80% plus percentage range over many years, per most websites.  I can live with those odds.  Also, what is like contributing to our issue is the insight is just 8" thick and the firmest of all iComforts, to my understanding of the iComfort line.
This message was modified May 4, 2011 by Sleepright
Reply #24 May 4, 2011 11:03 PM
From my understanding, the Genius is the firmest as it is identical to the insight, but adds a 2-3 inch stiffer support foam in the middle.  I was unhappy with the Insight because it feels as though it is breaking down and has lost 20% of its firmness.  When you sit on the bed, you immediately sink in like there is absolutely no resistance left.  The reason I asked about the smell was that we couldnt even enter our room the first 2 days due to the horrific smell.  I live in Chicago, so it was only 40 degrees outside and it took a half a  day for the bed to warm up and get softer.   Good luck.  I am getting a Vera Wang delivered this friday to replace this bed, we are so excited to be rid of this mattress.
Reply #25 May 5, 2011 9:19 PM
Interesting.  Well, if some of this mattress's firmness fades away, that will be a good thing for us.   We have to sleep on this mattress for 28 more nights before we can exchange.  So, I'll keep you posted.  We've come from a pillow top to a foam mattress, so I suppose we have lots of adjusting to do...
Reply #26 May 5, 2011 10:07 PM
Sleepright wrote:

Interesting.  Well, if some of this mattress's firmness fades away, that will be a good thing for us.   We have to sleep on this mattress for 28 more nights before we can exchange.  So, I'll keep you posted.  We've come from a pillow top to a foam mattress, so I suppose we have lots of adjusting to do...

You would think it was a good thing, but it only got soft in one area, where your butt sinks in.  So now my butt is SOOOO much farther sunk in than the rest of my body that I wake up aching.  Feels like my legs and head are up in the air while my butt is in about 6 inches.

Reply #27 May 6, 2011 2:12 AM
Hello, this post is for astinia and anyone else who experienced a achey nights sleep their first few nights on the Serta iComfort.  I am a Serta dealer small mom and pop in Illinois with an informative approach to selling so hopefully my resources of info should be helpful. Having sold countless Tempur- Pedics, and memory foam Serta's, I know they have a break in period where the iComfort is supposed to have the same feel out of the box as it did in the showroom.  That is correct, Serta iComfort requires no break in period.  However, as funny as it may sound, your body needs to "break in", that is, you probably have not been sleeping on a supportive mattress hence buying a new mattress, so your body is used to the "hammock" curve typical as a result of an unsupportive mattress.  Your body is used to arching, so now that your body is supported it should take a couple days for your body to relax and re-adjust to the new surface.  Realistically though, anything you buy new, a car, shoes, clothes, they all adjust to the user to some degree.  Also, that 120 day comfort exchange has a minimum trial period usually as well.  Our store policy is you must sleep on it for at least two weeks.  95% of customers never call back to follow through with the exchange so obviously after a week or so, their satisfaction was realized.  Any good dealer will do a no restocking fee exchange, usually immediately, one of the benefits of a physical store.  I would expect to pay an additional delivery fee though, and if you downgraded, expect to receive an In Store credit instead of cash back. Customers don't seem to mind much and realize nothing is free anymore in the 21st century. We just introduced the iComfort, so I will be trying to update posts and answer any questions anybody else has as I will be watching this product closely, my aim is to be an expert on the iComfort so please, questions/comments? Let me know! It will make me a better customer service expert as well.  Thanks for reading- Sincerely Dave Gustafson's Furniture & Mattress 808 W. Riverside Blvd. Rockford IL
This message was modified May 6, 2011 by a moderator

Recent Posts