Questions about Dream Coil Topper
Apr 3, 2008 11:38 AM
 I am considering buying this topper but I was reading on Amazon that everyone received yellowed and stain looking toppers and not what they looked like in the picture.  They were also complaining about being too short.  Maybe Amazons' were seconds but I was wondering if yours looked like the picture (whch is white) or was yours yellowed.  Is it very firm or does it seem supportive.  My husband has had neck and back fusions and I am trying to find something to help him be some what comfortable.  I am also considering buying the cuddlebed mattress pad too.  I am worried though that it wouldn't fit in my oversize washing machine as a bought a fluffy mattress pad from kohls and did not have good results with it holding up.

Thanks for your help,

Emi

Re: Questions about Dream Coil Topper
Reply #20 Apr 8, 2008 1:49 PM
Ours is the Huntington Beach, Reflexion line from Sealy. We purchased it probably about the same time you did in 2005. Got the latex specifically to avoid the body indentations that plagued us with the previous high end Serta King, and within months we had the body indentions and the loss of support. My wife slept on the "ridge" in the middle of the bed while I was on a business trip and said it was much better! Not a real world daily option though.

I sent an email to the folks at Flobed since I've heard so much good about them. I'm not convinced that we'd be happy with the memory foam. They sent a very quick email reply, and stated that they sell a convoluted latex topper that is also the top layer for their latex mattresses, but that it is really more suited as a comfort level and pressure point relief, and not so much for providing some additional support. However, he said that they would be willing to sell me one of their 3" latex cores in whatever firmness we needed, even though it sounds like that is not something they normally do, and even allow us credit for the price of that if we eventually purchase an entire mattress from them. They sounded very anxious to help in any way that they can. (Gee - wonder who I'll go to first when we do have the cash for a new mattress? :) )

So here's a question for you experts - if I'm going to purchase a new latex core for our king sized bed, to use as a support topper, what type of firmness should we try? We're side and stomach sleepers, about 175 and 140 lbs each, and prefer a bit firmer bed (though not "hard".)

In the meantime we'll try the quarter turn of the mattress - hey, what could it hurt? ;)

Thanks

Jeff

Reply #21 Apr 8, 2008 7:53 PM
Jeff, Flobeds has been very customer service oriented to me also and even sent me a pillow they sliced down thinner for my head since I told Dave about my car accident.  He just sliced it a little thinner than to my liking but he tries to get everyone comfortable and I really feel FloBeds takes pride in making as many customers comfortable and sleeping well.  He sent me two sets of legs at the beginning since I wanted my bed to be low but when I got my tall Wesley Allen headboard, he overnighted headboard brackets (so the furniture people could attach the headboard for me) and sent me taller legs like I wanted and a postage paid lable to send the other legs back wishin me luck with my new bedroom furniture and headboard.  Despite not being quite 5 feet, I love the10" legs and I have no problems getting on and off the bed.  I made many exchanged of the latex cores since I went too soft at the beginning but it was wonderful not having pressure and knowing I could take my time finding the right combination of latex cores. It was even nicer when after the car accident, I was able to unzip the mattress and move the cores around to make my side of the bed even firmer since my back seemed to need this after the car accident due to the herniated disks I got from being his so hard from behind.  I am glad I went with FloBeds for their excellent product, wonderful zippered mattress cover, their wonderful customer support and the fact I truly feel they care.
Reply #22 Apr 9, 2008 5:26 AM
jefflackey wrote:
We've got a Sealy latex bed with the top layer broken down enough that we've got achey backs (after only 3 years) and we have two houses we're paying on right now (thanks housing crisis! LOL!) so we can't afford the new layered latex bed we'd like. So we're looking to see if we can find a topper of some kind to add some support until we can afford to buy a new

Jeff, if your mattress is sagging or the foam has softened up to the point where you're not getting enough back support, putting more foam on top of it is only going to make it worse since you will now be hammocking into even more foam.

The best thing to do is to deconstruct your mattress. See Jimsocal's thread with photo links onr how to do this. Once you have removed the top layer of foam you may find that the layers underneath are still in good condition. Just add a topper over that if needed.

If you are reluctant to do that and are still tempted to try the 3" latex Flobeds core. (Consider how high that's going to make your existing mattress.) There are a few things you can do to try firming up the hip area of the mattress underneath. Try placing a yoga mat under the latex (or any other topper). I currently have some remnant carpeting under my 1" memory foam topper and a flat feather pillow, along with a layer of 1/2" firm HR foam over the pillow. But I don't recommend this approach for most people. They would probably find it too hard.

And speaking of HR foam, you can use 1/2" HR foam to bolster an area that needs firming up. You can get it at most foam stores or at Joanne's Fabrics. Since you are building up a specific area of the mattress and not the entire surface, this works best under a topper where the effect is more graduated, but you can also tuck it under a mattress pad.

This message was modified Apr 9, 2008 by cloud9
Reply #23 Apr 9, 2008 5:31 AM
Sabra wrote:

Get this...my sister's neighbor sold her a 25 year old mattress in pristine condition for $50 when he moved. I slept on it 2 nights ago and it was absolutely wonderful...firm enought for my back, soft enough for no pressure points. Why can't mattresses be made like that now?

My guess is that somewhere along the line mattress manufacturers figured out that if they padded a mattress with a lot of cheap PU foam they could sell you a new one every three or four years instead of every twenty-five years.

So many of us have noticed that the 25-year-old mattresses we replaced turned out to be so much more comfortable than the one we replaced it with besides.

This message was modified Apr 9, 2008 by cloud9

Recent Posts