Quality King size sheet set for less than $250? Also a Mattress pad question.
Dec 28, 2011 12:50 PM
I've been lurking here for the past two weeks deciding upon my next mattress, and have finally decided to post. First off, thank you all for so much valuable information. Thanks to this forum and a visit to City Mattress, I've now decided on my mattress. I'm going to order a posture deluxe from FloBeds. These are on sale until the end of this week, and I plan on placing my order Friday. I'm confident in my selection, and hope it turns out to be comparable to the Pranasleep Wahe we tried out at City Matttress.

My next two dilemmas are which Mattress pad to order and finding a quality sheet set. I've narrowed my mattress pad to either the St. Dormeir Natural Wool Mattress Pad, or the 100% Cotton mattress pad sold by Flobeds. The Flobeds mattress already has a good amount of wool sewn into the top cover of the mattress encasement, so I'm not sure if I need additional wool in the mattress pad. I'm also concerned about how well the St. Dormeir pad will hold up under repeated machine wash cycles. Any advice is greatly appreciated as to why one would select the cotton over the wool, or vice versa.

My second dilemma is what sheet set to get. I definitely like 'cool' feeling sheets and like most people want them to be soft to the feel. I definitely like percale and sateen weaves. I've seen the St. Geneve "My Favourite Sheets" recommended here as a good set in my price range, although I prefer a solid sheet rather than one with stripes. I've also read good reviews on the Dreamfit 400TC egyptian cotton sheets which are a solid and also in my price range. Please let me know if you can offer any recommendations on these two I mentioned, or if there are other sets in my price range I should consider. Thanks again for all your help.

Re: Quality King size sheet set for less than $250? Also a Mattress pad question.
Reply #9 Jan 3, 2012 6:22 PM
I ordered some St. Geneve swatches from Beddingsuperstore of a few different types and colors. Once I had my wife talk to my mom who confirmed that we got over 20 years out of some of our old American made percale sheets, she's almost willing to let me order a couple of sets of the Capri Solids. My wife doesn't mind only having two sets of sheets, as long as she can rotate bedspreads and decorative pillows during each season. If we spend $840 on two sets of Capris and they last 20 years alternating them, that equates to $42 / year. A small price to pay for comfort. If they only last half that time, it's $84/year. Still not too bad.

Funny how I was prepared to spend $1200 to $1500 on a new mattress a few weeks ago. I then find this website, and am now looking at almost $4K after doing much research, between a new 100% natural Flobeds mattress, expensive sheets and a 100% cotton mattress pad. Damn'ed internet!

Anyhow, Thank you all for the great bedding education!

PS. Can anyone recommend a good detergent for washing the Egyptian Cotton sheets? I've read Woolite for darks or Tide are good, but was wondering if there are better/safer products?

This message was modified Jan 3, 2012 by megalops
Re: Quality King size sheet set for less than $250? Also a Mattress pad question.
Reply #10 Jan 3, 2012 9:49 PM
Flobeds makes a great mattress....St. Geneve makes some awesome bedding...you are going to have an amazing set up when its all done.  The Capri sheets are wonderful and crisp, you will notice after a few washings they get a lot softer.  My brother owns a few sets of that and this is from his experience to me with the fabric.  

As far as off the shelf detergents go the only one I would recommend is Tide Free.  

The best detergent I know of for these types of fabrics is Le Blanc Linen Wash.  It's what I use and it also smells great...although Le Blanc contains no whiteners of any kind so if you order white sheets they will have a hard time removing perspiration stains.  

Another amazing option which is very gentle on fabrics and will probably save you the $42 a year on detergent costs is to use soap nuts. I do not particularly endorse any one seller, but these guys have good info on the product.

http://www.earthsberriesoapnuts.com/

Reply #11 Jan 13, 2012 7:52 AM
budgy,

How would the Jeneve series compare to the Capri series of sheets. Both are 300TC. The Capris are made in Italy using Giza, while the Jeneves are made in Israel of a long staple cotton. Do these feel similar? I can get the Jeneves for less than $250: http://www.beddingsuperstore.com/i?store=cat&id=3674&sid=34E5BA1XUPY789

I'm just trying to decide if it is worth the extra $$$ for the Capris. Please give me your expert opinion.

Thanks for your help.

Reply #12 Jan 14, 2012 12:00 AM
Bought LinenSpa Universal Depth 600 threadcount sheets from Amazon when we got our king size mattress in May. They are the most comfortable sheets I've slept on. Current price is $200.
Reply #13 Jan 14, 2012 7:11 AM
megalops wrote:

budgy,

How would the Jeneve series compare to the Capri series of sheets. Both are 300TC. The Capris are made in Italy using Giza, while the Jeneves are made in Israel of a long staple cotton. Do these feel similar? I can get the Jeneves for less than $250: http://www.beddingsuperstore.com/i?store=cat&id=3674&sid=34E5BA1XUPY789

I'm just trying to decide if it is worth the extra $$$ for the Capris. Please give me your expert opinion.

Thanks for your help.

budgy, nevermind. I realized the Jeneves are labeled as "combed cotton", not long staple (although I'm guessing it is). I also realized they are a jacquard. It's amazing what one can find out when going to the mfgr website wink.  I'll almost certainly be ordering the Capris.

ZackG, thanks for your recommendation. Do you know what country these are made in? Are these the ones you're referring to?: https://www.linenspa.com/Products/600-Thread-Count-Egyptian-Cotton-Sheets/

This message was modified Jan 14, 2012 by megalops
Reply #14 Jan 14, 2012 2:20 PM
Correct the Jeneve's are most likely some kind of Pima cotton, it would be long staple and good quality, but not authentic egyptian cotton or woven in europe so the cost is reasonable.  They are good sheets :)  

I don't want to be negative but I have heard bad things about beddingsuperstore.com  I don't think they even have a retail showroom; you can probably get another online dealer that has a retail showroom to match their pricing though.  

Reply #15 Jan 14, 2012 7:41 PM
Just checked... they're made in China - which is probably why they're $200.

megalops wrote:

ZackG, thanks for your recommendation. Do you know what country these are made in? Are these the ones you're referring to?: https://www.linenspa.com/Products/600-Thread-Count-Egyptian-Cotton-Sheets/

Reply #16 Jan 14, 2012 10:06 PM
ZackG wrote:

Just checked... they're made in China - which is probably why they're $200.

Thanks for the response. Being made in China explains a few things, especially the fact they claim to be single ply & 600TC sateen. I don't believe sateen can be woven using single ply at 600TC, but I am certainly no expert. Odds are that these are also not Extra Long Staple Egyptian cotton, and are more likely to be upland cotton grown in Egypt.

I'm glad to hear they are comfortable, but if I'm spending that much on sheets, I want to make sure they're going to last a while. I'm thinking I'd rather pay a little more upfront to know I'm getting high quality.

Reply #17 Jan 16, 2012 12:12 PM
I am looking forward to how the FloBed works out for you. 

Sheets, well for my nickel the Coyuchi organic sheets are superb and frankly the basic made in USA organic percales are fabulous (really they wear well and soften so nicely - feels great)  I got my basics from HolyLambOrganics.com  (though others sell them).  They will happily send you a swatch for touch/color test.  I'm a bit of a sheet snob (hypersensitive) and frankly have been thoroughly pleased and amazed.  

Mattress pad -  both HolyLamb and SoaringHeart.com are somewhat  local for me (SH offers free shipping and currently has a white sale going)  and I absolutely love these companies for a reason. Total information and good stuff.  I went for a wool 'puddle pad' /moisture barrier underneath my thick wool fleece topper and Soaring Heart has a wonderful explanation as to why the wool makes sense - just pop to their wool pad page and they tell you. 

Wool pads are most effective when used underneath a cotton pad - in short, to your question as to whether you need cotton or wool or both - - get both.   

There is a caveat though - no matter if they are washable or not the wool pads do not go in your dryer and that needs to be considered.  (Yes indeed, even the St Dormeir says to not put it in the dryer).  Why? Well in a dryer the oils in the wool would be stripped and they become useless.    So I put a protective cotton cover over my mattress, then the wool pad and my thick wool fleece topper, which has a thick cotton backing. They need air more than soap and water to stay fresh.    The wool pad does not move around on our bed at all even though there are no straps or attachement points.   For full encasement protection the cotton pad at Soaring Heart is awesome

Reply #18 Jan 16, 2012 2:23 PM
Just have to chime in here for the more  budget-concious. Less expensive doesn't always mean not as good. I had to quickly buy new sheets after my impulse buy of a thick mattress as my old fitted sheets wouldn't go over it. In haste, I grabbed a set of Springmaid "My Carefree Sheets" just because it says they fit up to an 18" mattress. I figured if I hated them I wasn't out much money and could shop at leisure later for something better.

I've bought many many sheets over the years including very expensive ones, and I couldn't believe how smooth, generous, cool and comfortable these sheets are. They feel absolutely luxurious, wash like a dream and don't shrink or pill. I also love that they're solid colours and no flowers etc. which I dislike. I immediately went out and got 4 more sets and I doubt I'll ever buy anything else.

Recent Posts