Quality King size sheet set for less than $250? Also a Mattress pad question.
Dec 28, 2011 12:50 PM
I've been lurking here for the past two weeks deciding upon my next mattress, and have finally decided to post. First off, thank you all for so much valuable information. Thanks to this forum and a visit to City Mattress, I've now decided on my mattress. I'm going to order a posture deluxe from FloBeds. These are on sale until the end of this week, and I plan on placing my order Friday. I'm confident in my selection, and hope it turns out to be comparable to the Pranasleep Wahe we tried out at City Matttress.

My next two dilemmas are which Mattress pad to order and finding a quality sheet set. I've narrowed my mattress pad to either the St. Dormeir Natural Wool Mattress Pad, or the 100% Cotton mattress pad sold by Flobeds. The Flobeds mattress already has a good amount of wool sewn into the top cover of the mattress encasement, so I'm not sure if I need additional wool in the mattress pad. I'm also concerned about how well the St. Dormeir pad will hold up under repeated machine wash cycles. Any advice is greatly appreciated as to why one would select the cotton over the wool, or vice versa.

My second dilemma is what sheet set to get. I definitely like 'cool' feeling sheets and like most people want them to be soft to the feel. I definitely like percale and sateen weaves. I've seen the St. Geneve "My Favourite Sheets" recommended here as a good set in my price range, although I prefer a solid sheet rather than one with stripes. I've also read good reviews on the Dreamfit 400TC egyptian cotton sheets which are a solid and also in my price range. Please let me know if you can offer any recommendations on these two I mentioned, or if there are other sets in my price range I should consider. Thanks again for all your help.

Re: Quality King size sheet set for less than $250? Also a Mattress pad question.
Reply #1 Dec 29, 2011 1:53 PM
My second dilemma is what sheet set to get. I definitely like 'cool' feeling sheets and like most people want them to be soft to the feel. I definitely like percale and sateen weaves. I've seen the St. Geneve "My Favourite Sheets" recommended here as a good set in my price range, although I prefer a solid sheet rather than one with stripes. I've also read good reviews on the Dreamfit 400TC egyptian cotton sheets which are a solid and also in my price range. Please let me know if you can offer any recommendations on these two I mentioned, or if there are other sets in my price range I should consider. Thanks again for all your help.

I own 2 sets of Dreamfit 4's and love them... I also suggest the microfiber sheets from Comphy's. Still my favorite out of all of the sets I own (including 2 sets from Tempurpedic of Egyptian cotten as well.) I got mine at a Costco table they did nearby... apparentlyl you can'g just buy them from a regular retailer.

Re: Quality King size sheet set for less than $250? Also a Mattress pad question.
Reply #2 Dec 29, 2011 8:13 PM
GuyMakesSense wrote:

I own 2 sets of Dreamfit 4's and love them... I also suggest the microfiber sheets from Comphy's. Still my favorite out of all of the sets I own (including 2 sets from Tempurpedic of Egyptian cotten as well.) I got mine at a Costco table they did nearby... apparentlyl you can'g just buy them from a regular retailer.

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad you like the Dreamfit 400s, and I'm definitely considering them. The things that scare me a bit about them is that they don't mention if they're single ply threads or twisted two ply threads. They don't mention what type of Egyptian cotton, and they don't even mention what weave they are. I'm assuming they're a sateen, but I'd just be guessing. If you happen to know any of these answers, please fill me in.

I did find three good forum threads here regarding sheets including:

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/cool-sheets/15055-A-1.html 

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/best-cotton-sheets/18639-A-1.html  -  Great education from budgy on reply #2 of this thread.

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/advice-needed-where-buy-sheets/11609-A-1.html

These forum threads were very valuable, which has me leaning towards the St Geneve "My Favourite Sheets": http://www.beddingsuperstore.com/i?store=cat&id=6479. I only wish they came in a couple of more colors. My wife prefers medium and dark colors like taupe or chocolate. I'm also looking at the LL Bean 280TC Pima Percale sheets: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64157?feat=1156-CL2. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to physically feel any of these, and will be forced to make a blind faith purchase online based on reviews alone.

Please let me know if there are other sheet sets I missed. I will note that my parents have microfiber sheets, and they just don't work for me. I need cotton.

Also, I'd love an expert opinion on which mattress pad I should go with. Our main reason for purchasing a mattress pad is to protect the mattress, not for cushioning.

This message was modified Dec 30, 2011 by megalops
Reply #3 Dec 29, 2011 9:06 PM
The DreamFit 4's (I believe) were long staple, single-ply, Egyptian cotton with the "corner suspenders" on all four corners to help them stay on! I do not remember the weave, but it is very soft to the touch and has become softer with use...

As far as mattress protectors go, you want something that will hopefully not change the feel of your mattress. i have used 3 different ones. 1 form Tempurpedic had no material on top to help disperse any liquids/sweat, etc. the other two are from GBS and Protect-A-Bed. Between the two, I like the Protect-A-Bed version better as they stretch in all directions leaving virtually no change in feel. I have heard that if you have a very plush mattress, it may feel slightly less squishy, but I have not experienced that and only heard it a couple of times in the last several years. I have had no experience with the other versions of water/moisture resistant pads (vs. the water-proof ones).

Reply #4 Jan 1, 2012 11:36 AM
GuyMakesSense wrote:

The DreamFit 4's (I believe) were long staple, single-ply, Egyptian cotton with the "corner suspenders" on all four corners to help them stay on! I do not remember the weave, but it is very soft to the touch and has become softer with use...

As far as mattress protectors go, you want something that will hopefully not change the feel of your mattress. i have used 3 different ones. 1 form Tempurpedic had no material on top to help disperse any liquids/sweat, etc. the other two are from GBS and Protect-A-Bed. Between the two, I like the Protect-A-Bed version better as they stretch in all directions leaving virtually no change in feel. I have heard that if you have a very plush mattress, it may feel slightly less squishy, but I have not experienced that and only heard it a couple of times in the last several years. I have had no experience with the other versions of water/moisture resistant pads (vs. the water-proof ones).

If the Dreamfits really are 400TC single-ply and are real egyptian cotton, then they truly are an astounding value. Something tells me they are either 2-ply or not real extra-long staple egyptian cotton.

Here is an excerpt from budgy's post I referenced above:

In the world marketplace, many cheap cottons are also being referred to as "Egyptian Cotton". If an Egyptian Cotton article seems to be a very low price, it is probably not genuine. There are three things to be aware of when you are purchasing Egyptian cotton linens. First of all, there are the contents - Some fabrics are labeled as Egyptian cotton when in fact they have a tiny percentage of genuine Egyptian cotton ~ say 5% or so. Second of all, the definition of "Egyptian Cotton" in some dictionaries is simply any finely woven cotton ~ this does rather leave the door open. Lastly, cotton grown in the country of Egypt may sound expensive and high in quality, but can be any variety. Since American Upland cottons (which are a much shorter fiber) now comprise 90% of the world's crop, it is a safe assertion that this might be in the package.

The more inmportant thing is that you mention they are soft, and that you like them, which is why they're still on my short list. I'm more concerned with their longevity, especially since they're not exactly inexpensive. Right now the St. Geneve "My Favourite Sheets" are looking like the favorite for me to try (even though they're a stripe and only come in 2 colors), but would love to know if there are any other recommended options to consider in my price range. Especially a pima (or supima) percale type sheet. I had these as a kid, and remember them being very comfortable, and long lasting. The LL Bean's I posted above have some bad reviews, so I'm a little leary of them. I can't seem to find any others in my price range.

As far as mattress protection goes, I'd much prefer to stick with all natural products like the St. Dormeir Natural Wool Mattress Pad, or the 100% Cotton mattress pad. I'm leaning towards the 100% cotton right now, but am open to expert opinion.

This message was modified Jan 1, 2012 by megalops
Reply #5 Jan 1, 2012 2:45 PM
I believe if you find the DreamFit 3 sheets they are Pima Cotton. Knowing that 90% is american cotton it is good to know that most Egyptian cotton sheets are just a percentage... having said that, I do know the staple is long (not extra long)... I do not remember at all the difference in actual length, but I assure they are not 2-ply sheets. I have had them for about 2 years (maybe 2-1/2) and I have not felt any difference in the quality or getting "thinner" as I wash and use them... I stopped selling these sheets about 6 or 7 months ago (company is not carrying them) but i still love them and am sleeping on the celadon (green) at the moment.
Reply #6 Jan 1, 2012 4:47 PM
If they are a true single ply thread than 400TC cotton, it would have to be a Sateen cotton, percales cannot go that high....and rarely go even over 300 for sheeting....360TC is about the highest percale available for down proof tickings, 400TC for Sateen.  Although, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they are 2-ply.  
Reply #7 Jan 1, 2012 6:46 PM
Budgy, other than the "My Favourite Sheets", are their any others in my price range you can recommend?

I saw you recommend the Allegro sheets which are a bit outside my range, but was wondering if they are substantially nicer than the MFS. I can almost get 2 sets of MFS for the price of one Allegro set, but was wondering if the Allegro set will outlast them significantly or are that much nicer of a feel?

Also, please let me know if anyone has experience with any of these:

http://www.garnethill.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDetailView?storeId=10054&catalogId=10054&productId=221425&langId=-1&SourceCode=G1WSB1

http://www.bed-linens.net/cotton-domestic

Reply #8 Jan 2, 2012 12:19 PM
megalops wrote:

Budgy, other than the "My Favourite Sheets", are their any others in my price range you can recommend?

I saw you recommend the Allegro sheets which are a bit outside my range, but was wondering if they are substantially nicer than the MFS. I can almost get 2 sets of MFS for the price of one Allegro set, but was wondering if the Allegro set will outlast them significantly or are that much nicer of a feel?

Also, please let me know if anyone has experience with any of these:

http://www.garnethill.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDetailView?storeId=10054&catalogId=10054&productId=221425&langId=-1&SourceCode=G1WSB1

http://www.bed-linens.net/cotton-domestic

The Allegro sheets are really nice, thats probably the best priced legitmate egyptian cotton sheet milled in Italy you will find.  The sheets are actually thinner than the 'MFS', but a lot softer after a few washes and likely just as durable if not more so.  I have heard good things about 'Matouk' sheets, supposed to be good for the price.  

Allegro pricing is actually really well priced for what it is, for instance you can compare the softness of the sheet to the St. Geneve Capri, both 300TC Egyptian cottons from Italy.  The Capri fabric is a lot more expensive because they bring the fabric over in 98 different colours.  Allegro they make in 2 colours, and they make a LOT of it. Capri would be a little smoother because its not a stripe fabric.  It may sound wierd to say this because the fabric is woven by a machine...but Allegro is a lot less labour intensive.  In order to set up one of these full width looms it takes about 2 days worth of labour to tie in the warp and weft yarns by hand. 

Reply #9 Jan 3, 2012 6:22 PM
I ordered some St. Geneve swatches from Beddingsuperstore of a few different types and colors. Once I had my wife talk to my mom who confirmed that we got over 20 years out of some of our old American made percale sheets, she's almost willing to let me order a couple of sets of the Capri Solids. My wife doesn't mind only having two sets of sheets, as long as she can rotate bedspreads and decorative pillows during each season. If we spend $840 on two sets of Capris and they last 20 years alternating them, that equates to $42 / year. A small price to pay for comfort. If they only last half that time, it's $84/year. Still not too bad.

Funny how I was prepared to spend $1200 to $1500 on a new mattress a few weeks ago. I then find this website, and am now looking at almost $4K after doing much research, between a new 100% natural Flobeds mattress, expensive sheets and a 100% cotton mattress pad. Damn'ed internet!

Anyhow, Thank you all for the great bedding education!

PS. Can anyone recommend a good detergent for washing the Egyptian Cotton sheets? I've read Woolite for darks or Tide are good, but was wondering if there are better/safer products?

This message was modified Jan 3, 2012 by megalops
Reply #10 Jan 3, 2012 9:49 PM
Flobeds makes a great mattress....St. Geneve makes some awesome bedding...you are going to have an amazing set up when its all done.  The Capri sheets are wonderful and crisp, you will notice after a few washings they get a lot softer.  My brother owns a few sets of that and this is from his experience to me with the fabric.  

As far as off the shelf detergents go the only one I would recommend is Tide Free.  

The best detergent I know of for these types of fabrics is Le Blanc Linen Wash.  It's what I use and it also smells great...although Le Blanc contains no whiteners of any kind so if you order white sheets they will have a hard time removing perspiration stains.  

Another amazing option which is very gentle on fabrics and will probably save you the $42 a year on detergent costs is to use soap nuts. I do not particularly endorse any one seller, but these guys have good info on the product.

http://www.earthsberriesoapnuts.com/

Recent Posts