Newbie questions. Keetsa & Sultan Laxeby
Sep 21, 2010 9:10 AM
Hi,

I’m a newbie but have been doing lots of research the last few weeks so I have a “little” bit of knowledge now on this subject.  I was wondering about the lack of reviews on the Keetsa mattresses?  I saw them mentioned here:

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/stearns-foster-luxury-firm-too-soft-gah-what-are-my-options/14293-21-1.html

So being from NY I stopped by to take a look at the Keetsa Latex as it really sounded like what I was looking for.  (Nothing fancy, just an innerspring mattress with better quality materials than the “S” Brands, but without getting into Shifman/Hästens pricing).  Unfortunately, their latex/innerspring mattress was way too soft… but I really liked the feel of their Tea Leaf Dream and their Tea Leaf Classic which are innerspring with a claimed “Memory Foam”.  Their “Memory Foam” doesn’t really feel like most memory foams.  It feels between the dead feel of a tempurpedic and the springiness of a latex.  The company has a good warrantee (from how it sounds) and they were much better to deal with than, say, Sleepys… but I can’t find any reviews on this board even though there are quite a few on other random pages which makes me nervous…. Any reason for that? 

Also, I’m a bit confused on the slatted bases.  I have a bed frame that has a ledge on both sides to support a box spring, and then there are 3 cross braces evenly spaced that go left to right with center legs for support.  There is no ledge on the headboard or footboard.  Would I be able to lay an Ikea Sultan Laxeby slatted base right onto that, or does it need to be used with an Ikea bed?  Do I need to add some sort of center rail between the cross braces?  I ask because it’s a king size bed and it looks like many box springs/slatted bases are 2 pieces, and the inboard side of both of them will basically just be held up by the 3 points of contact with those crossrails.

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Newbie questions. Keetsa & Sultan Laxeby
Reply #6 Sep 23, 2010 10:10 PM
DianeK wrote:

I do believe that Green Sleep has some models that would be under $3,000.  They use coils and latex, no PU foam whatsoever.

It's funny you mention that, Budgy actually pointed me to a few mattresses... namely the Royal Pedic, Green Sleep & a sleeptek that is sold in the US by "The Clean Bedroom" as the "Naturally Organic European Tufted Cotton Organic Mattress".  Since  all three of those lines are carried by The Clean Bedroom, I swung up to their Westport location today to check them out.  Unfortunately they didn't have any Green Sleep in the showroom, but they had both the Royal Pedic and "Naturally Organic" on the floor so I was able to compare them.  I liked them both a lot, and found them to be fairly comparable in feel.  The Royal Pedic is a good bit more money than the "Naturally Organic" though which has me leaning towards the Naturally Organic.  Unfortunately I am not enough of an expert to comment on build quality, but they both appeared to be very nice and neither one seemed notably better or worse than the other.  The biggest difference is that the Royal Pedic was slightly firmer, and was on a box spring, VS the Naturally Organic which was a touch softer on a very stout slat base.  This had me wondering a bit about lengevity and what not.... but once again, I don't really know enough if that is an actual concern or not.  Both of these mattresses are innerspring, cotton and wool only with no foam in them.  I like the idea of that style of mattress since my understanding is that they sleep cooler than even a Latex.... Not sure if that is true, but it is what I have gathered...   Any additional comments are appreciated as I am probably going to pull the trigger on this purchase this weekend.  Thank you.

Reply #7 Sep 25, 2010 10:34 AM
Ugh, nothing is easy with searching fo a mattress.  I was 99% decided on going with The Clean Bedroom's "Naturally Organic European Tufted Cotton Organic Mattress"... but I started going through the fine print on it and there are no returns for any reason and the warrantee is 10 year.  This has me a bit spooked since I've seen people here who ended up having problems with comfort or the way the mattress arrived and had to return them.  Thoughts? Am I overthinking the warranee issue?  It makes me nervous to buy something from someone when they are so up front about the fact that they don't stand behind their products.
Reply #8 Sep 25, 2010 12:58 PM
yikes...I wouldn't worry about the manufacturing honouring warranty should any issues arise...but having some kind of basic comfort exchange priveleges should be an option....not a lot of places offer full refund...its not something a store should offer on a mattress unless they are selling online only.  Ask them that if you are not happy with the mattress and wish to exchange it for say the Royal Pedic if they would allow you to do this if you paid the difference, I think that is more than reasonable.
Reply #9 Sep 26, 2010 12:54 PM
I'm not sure, from their "Guarantee" on their website:

"Refusing shipment will result in your credit card being charged for both outbound and return shipping, plus applicable re-stocking fees. WE DO NOT OFFER A RETURN POLICY ON ANY MATTRESS, FUTON OR FOUNDATION. If any mattress, futon, or foundation is returned to us, we will refuse shipment."

Bold font is actually in their "Guarantee"... I did not add that for emphasis.... Either way, it's not something that I anticipate using and as you point out, I still have the manufacturer's warrantee in case of issues... I am just hesitant after reading horror stories on this site of people getting damaged mattresses and the stores refusing to take them back and such.  (good example of what I mean: http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/cc-mattress-sealy-avoid/4470-A-1.html )

I'm less concerned about it being a "comfort guarantee" than it being something where if it arrives messed up I would have no recourse, but either way, I liked how with some companies (flobeds especially) I felt comfortable that if I didn't get what I was expecting, They would either make it right or refund the purchase price. 

Reply #10 Sep 26, 2010 1:23 PM
That is a pretty negative policy....I understand completely what you mean about this not exactly being about if you simply don't like the mattress itself...just more so if something shows up damaged or in somehow unacceptable condition...you need recourse for that.  You would think that on their warranty page it would list these types of exceptions to their return policy.  I would call and ask to speak to a manager to just clarify what exactly they would do in the event that something shows up in used or damaged condition that you have a return option.  Or that they will atleast look after you and send out another brand new one to rectify it. Make sure you get it in writing before ordering if you are really concerned about it.
Reply #11 Sep 28, 2010 7:16 PM
As an update, last night I ended up buying a Shifman Saturn at Stickley, Audi & Company.  Funny thing about how the pricing game on mattresses has the potential to backfire, when I was shopping for bedroom sets I had looked at Stickley (was beautiful, but out of my price range) and my wife and I saw a price tag on a mattress on the display and was shocked to see a 5 figure pricetag on a mattress... Even with the multiplier stickley was using on their furniture, the price was still obscene, so I just had that pricing in mind as I started this whole search.  From my research I really decided that was the type of mattress I wanted, a high quality innerspring mattress that could be flipped and had no PU foam… but remembering the price tag I had seen, wasn’t about to look there again.  As I continued my search I looked at Bloomingdales’ web site and saw the pricing of shifman’s being as crazy as what I had seen at Stickley… After many frustrating setbacks with every turn in this search I figured I should stop by Bloomingdales since I saw that they have a 20% off coupon coming up and I suspected the website wasn't showing the “true” multiplier they used in the stores… Once there my suspicion was confirmed and they used an initial 50% off multiplier, then an additional 20% off.  That brought the prices down from ridiculous to only being “very expensive”…  I ended up leaving there and wanted to stop by Stickley since it is close by (both in White Plains, NY) and went to their mattress showroom and saw that they use a different mulitplier on their mattresses than their furniture, and after which the prices were actually not as horrible as I had originally believed with that initial sticker shock. 

So, I’m hoping I made a good choice.  I find it funny that it really was just dumb luck that I went back again to look.  The whole furniture industry standard of overpricing items just so they can mark it down dramatically is so dumb.  I don’t know of anyone who actually thinks they are getting things for 50% off… and it can completely backfire with people assuming something is out of their price range.  Also the Bloomingdales thing of putting the nonsense high price on their website.  At least they should use strikethrough to indicate to ignore that price.  I just think that whole gameplan probably scares off as many potential customers as it entices.

BTW- Thanks to everyone for all of the excellent advice I found on this site.  Especially thanks to Budgy as he really gave a lot of excellent advice.

This message was modified Sep 29, 2010 by XJGPN
Reply #12 Sep 28, 2010 7:39 PM
Such a good reason to why these companies should not be relying on these ridiculous 50% off sales.  And isn't that the scary thing, if they can sell something for 50% off and still make good profit.....that tells me that the 50% price is really just what it should have been priced from the get go.  Shifman is supposed to make a top notch bed, so I think you did well and got what you wanted :)

Recent Posts