My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Jan 31, 2010 1:48 PM
Hi guys,

I signed-up for this site because I conducted some research of the various types of beds out there.  Based on my research uncovering huge problems with each option, I have no idea what to buy.

I need to buy a new bed soon..

When I researched spring mattresses I found the following problems:

- They usually sag after a while and the sag is most often not covered under warranty because the warranty states that some level of sag is acceptable to them, the manufacturer, whilst the buyer remains stuck with a sagging mattress.

- they allow for dust mites etc. to accumulate

- it is impossible to comparison shop due to shady collusion between manufacturers and retailers obfuscating the features/specs of the products

- from my own personal experience with other spring mattresses, I don't like how they have thousands of tiny balls form on them, kind of like pilling in clothing...I presume that all spring mattresses do that?  I really hate that.

When I researched memory foam mattresses, I found the following problems:

- they tend to crap out after a few years

- they get infested with mold if they get wet and then they are health hazards and nothing can be done about that

- some of them emit toxins due to the glue used in their manufacturing or something

Ok, so now that I know about these problems, I will feel like a sucker for buying any kind of bed. Yet, I still need a bed so I will have to buy something.

Is there any kind of bed that doesn't have these problems?

I hope you guys can help give me some clarity as to how I should wade through these problems and determine  what I should buy.  What kind of bed can I buy that will give me the peace of mind of knowing such defects won't mess with me in the future?

I live in Toronto, Canada and my price range is about $1500-2000 CAD but I might be willing to go higher (maybe up to $3500 CAD max)  if I can find a bed that doesn't have any of the aforementioned type of problems.  I do not have a lot of money, so it is very important for me to buy a bed that will last for around 10 years at least.

This message was modified Jan 31, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #25 Feb 3, 2010 7:51 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
I agree about the "I smell a fish."  I haven't ever seen a mattress made by an "S" company that was really 100% latex.  What I suggest you do, is take a very careful look at the label when the bed arrives.  You'll be able to read the entire content of the mattress and if you see any foam other than latex in the "ingredient list," send that puppy right back.  I hope you have a money back guarantee.

Another thing that makes me suspicious is the price.  $1800 for an all latex bed is at least $200-300 less than it "should" be.  Having extensively priced latex mattresses, in queen size, you can get a *quality* mattress for around $2000, but not less unless you're going to a discount place like . . . foambymail and doing a DIY project.

I think the Costco Sleep Science latex mattress is the only *legitimate* first quality all latex mattress out there that might run under $2k, and although people have raved about it, I have my doubts about the quality of the latex in that.  I suspect fillers . . . though not having seen or tried it first hand, my suspicions are absolutely baseless.

I did provide a link for the product. It's a $2800 set but it's on sale now for $2499. I only purchased the mattress minus the boxspring. I asked for a few hundred dollars off and they agreed. Like I stated, the only non-latex padding is in the quilted covering. And that's the same quilted covering used in any mattress.

Here's the link. For some reason the "insert link" button isn't working in my browser.

http://www.mattressfirm.com/Serta-Opulence-Plush-P43.aspx

This message was modified Feb 3, 2010 by london79
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #26 Feb 3, 2010 8:05 PM
they *could* be using quiltable latex in the top quilted layer, however it is doubtful.  If the law label lists polyurethane then it is probably at least some polyurethane in the quilted layer (maybe an inch or so). 
Reply #27 Feb 3, 2010 8:10 PM
budgy wrote:
they *could* be using quiltable latex in the top quilted layer, however it is doubtful.  If the law label lists polyurethane then it is probably at least some polyurethane in the quilted layer (maybe an inch or so). 

I did test this bed out for a few minutes. It felt great. I'm not concerned so much with the quilted layer. I know that any other type of foam inside supporting me would be bad. And based on the specs given to me over the phone and what's on their site, there were no other types of foam mentioned or listed. I specifically asked was there any other type of foam present and the Serta rep told me there wasn't. If there is then that makes him a liar. But they give you 90 days to test it out.
This message was modified Feb 4, 2010 by london79
Reply #28 Feb 3, 2010 8:22 PM
jimsocal wrote:
Also, nowhere on the page you gave us, above, does it SAY "100% latex"!

Serious question. Is there some other Talalay out there I'm not aware of?? Product description says "Support Layer - 100% Talalay Core". The Serta rep said this layer is 8". Next 2.5" is "Convoluted Talalay Latex". Then the .5" "Cool Nature Latex" layer.

Also, this mattress is not the same as the Pure Response line of Sertas.

When it arrives and if there is a way to unzip it, I will take pics and post for any doubters. 
This message was modified Feb 3, 2010 by london79
Reply #29 Feb 3, 2010 9:55 PM
im gonna go out on a limb and say much to my surprise that it sounds like there isn't any polyurethane foam used in it.  however, what I do trust more than specs on a website, or even from a dealer rep (most of them don't really know), is the law label itself.  If there isn't a zip off cover, just read the law label tag.  If there is polyurethane present it will be listed on the tag.
Reply #30 Feb 4, 2010 1:48 AM
I have to admit, from what london says, it does sound like it's 100% latex. But very hard to believe. I hope it's true! Maybe this means that the Big S companies are going to finally make some quality mattresses for a change... !
Reply #31 Feb 4, 2010 2:13 AM
I think we're all going to be eagerly awaiting your report about what the law label says.  If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could even take a picture of it and post so we can all see the label.  If it actually is a 100% latex mattress a those prices, well, maybe some of us will be buying one :)
Reply #32 Feb 4, 2010 9:40 AM
KimberlyH wrote:
I think we're all going to be eagerly awaiting your report about what the law label says.  If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could even take a picture of it and post so we can all see the label.  If it actually is a 100% latex mattress a those prices, well, maybe some of us will be buying one :)

I will gladly post pics. And like I stated, I had to negotiate that price for the mattress only. I don't think you would have that option ordering online.
Reply #33 Feb 4, 2010 9:47 AM
KimberlyH wrote:

I don't think Sealy makes an all latex mattress. They all seem to have multiple layers of 3 or 4 different types of proprietary foams mixed with latex layers. Funny how this Serta model isn't on their website. It may be exclusive to the Mattress Firm only.

Also, for anyone concerned with the price being too good to be true, buying this queen mattress alone on the Mattress Firm's website will set you back $2730.
Reply #34 Feb 4, 2010 12:01 PM
i know in my neck of the woods Sealy has had a "100% Latex" mattress for years.  It still has polyurethane quilted into the cover and the latex is 100% synthetic content.  So there isn't any 'real' latex in it whatsoever.

Recent Posts