My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Jan 31, 2010 1:48 PM
Hi guys,

I signed-up for this site because I conducted some research of the various types of beds out there.  Based on my research uncovering huge problems with each option, I have no idea what to buy.

I need to buy a new bed soon..

When I researched spring mattresses I found the following problems:

- They usually sag after a while and the sag is most often not covered under warranty because the warranty states that some level of sag is acceptable to them, the manufacturer, whilst the buyer remains stuck with a sagging mattress.

- they allow for dust mites etc. to accumulate

- it is impossible to comparison shop due to shady collusion between manufacturers and retailers obfuscating the features/specs of the products

- from my own personal experience with other spring mattresses, I don't like how they have thousands of tiny balls form on them, kind of like pilling in clothing...I presume that all spring mattresses do that?  I really hate that.

When I researched memory foam mattresses, I found the following problems:

- they tend to crap out after a few years

- they get infested with mold if they get wet and then they are health hazards and nothing can be done about that

- some of them emit toxins due to the glue used in their manufacturing or something

Ok, so now that I know about these problems, I will feel like a sucker for buying any kind of bed. Yet, I still need a bed so I will have to buy something.

Is there any kind of bed that doesn't have these problems?

I hope you guys can help give me some clarity as to how I should wade through these problems and determine  what I should buy.  What kind of bed can I buy that will give me the peace of mind of knowing such defects won't mess with me in the future?

I live in Toronto, Canada and my price range is about $1500-2000 CAD but I might be willing to go higher (maybe up to $3500 CAD max)  if I can find a bed that doesn't have any of the aforementioned type of problems.  I do not have a lot of money, so it is very important for me to buy a bed that will last for around 10 years at least.

This message was modified Jan 31, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #17 Feb 2, 2010 5:18 PM
jimsocal wrote:
As to the Serta you just bought:
It is really 100% latex, no foam at all?
Is it on springs or just pure latex? Please give us a name and a link. I am  - forgive me -  uhhh.... skeptical.

That question was one of my concerns. According to the product's description, yes. It is all latex foam.

http://www.mattressfirm.com/Serta-Opulence-Plush-P43.aspx

Also, i spoke with the local Serta rep in my city. The core is an 8" 28ILD talalay layer that's 36ILD around the edges. The website doesn't give a depth so I had to find out on my own. The soft layer being the top. There is no other foam present in the innards. Well, except for the quilted cover.

This message was modified Feb 2, 2010 by london79
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #18 Feb 3, 2010 12:32 PM
Greetings fellow Torontonian!  I've been researching mattresses for countless hours and I'm ready to buy.  Problem is I can't find a Canadian retailer who sells Sleep Science or comparable brand.  Did you make a decision?  Care to share?    Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply #19 Feb 3, 2010 3:30 PM
london79 wrote:
That question was one of my concerns. According to the product's description, yes. It is all latex foam.

Also, i spoke with the local Serta rep in my city. The core is an 8" 28ILD talalay layer that's 36ILD around the edges. The website doesn't give a depth so I had to find out on my own. The soft layer being the top. There is no other foam present in the innards. Well, except for the quilted cover.

I'm sorry but I ain't buying that this is 100% latex. If it was, why would they not state for example what kind of latex it is and what ILD's are involved?
If they told you the base was 8" of Talalay then why would they not have told you what the other 5 and 1/2" are on top of it?
It makes no sense to advertise a "100% latex" mattress and then not describe the entire contents.
Also, nowhere on the page you gave us, above, does it SAY "100% latex"!

No, I smell a fish.

Add to that, that Serta is known to be the bottom of the barrel of the Big S companies... Even Sealy's latex mattresses are not all latex... The whole thing makes no sense.

I will apologize and admit I am wrong if it is shown that I am.

You have to be VERY CAREFUL when asking questions of some mattress sales people. If you ask "Is it 100% latex" they will say "yes, it is" meaning that yes, the 2" piece that is included in the mattress is "100% latex". What you have to ask is, "Are there any other foams included in the mattress that are not 100% latex?" And "So what are the other layers besides the 8" of Talalay? There are 5½" more - what are they made of?

And I would also ask, "Who makes the Talalay processed latex? Is it Latex International or who? Is it U.S. made or ?
Reply #20 Feb 3, 2010 4:21 PM
jimsocal wrote:
I'm sorry but I ain't buying that this is 100% latex. If it was, why would they not state for example what kind of latex it is and what ILD's are involved?
If they told you the base was 8" of Talalay then why would they not have told you what the other 5 and 1/2" are on top of it?
It makes no sense to advertise a "100% latex" mattress and then not describe the entire contents.
Also, nowhere on the page you gave us, above, does it SAY "100% latex"!

No, I smell a fish.

Add to that, that Serta is known to be the bottom of the barrel of the Big S companies... Even Sealy's latex mattresses are not all latex... The whole thing makes no sense.

I will apologize and admit I am wrong if it is shown that I am.

You have to be VERY CAREFUL when asking questions of some mattress sales people. If you ask "Is it 100% latex" they will say "yes, it is" meaning that yes, the 2" piece that is included in the mattress is "100% latex". What you have to ask is, "Are there any other foams included in the mattress that are not 100% latex?" And "So what are the other layers besides the 8" of Talalay? There are 5½" more - what are they made of?

And I would also ask, "Who makes the Talalay processed latex? Is it Latex International or who? Is it U.S. made or ?

Actually, he didn't say there were 5 1/2 other inches on top. 8" of Talalay, 2.5" of "convoluted" latex, .5 inches of some kind of latex that stays cool, and the rest being the quilted covering. The rep did reassure me there was no other foam besides talalay present in the mattress. Now, whether or not he was being honest, I can't tell you that. I have 90 days to try it out. I should know by then whether or not the product will perform. Especially since I sleep in the middle when it's just me.
Reply #21 Feb 3, 2010 6:26 PM
I agree about the "I smell a fish."  I haven't ever seen a mattress made by an "S" company that was really 100% latex.  What I suggest you do, is take a very careful look at the label when the bed arrives.  You'll be able to read the entire content of the mattress and if you see any foam other than latex in the "ingredient list," send that puppy right back.  I hope you have a money back guarantee.

Another thing that makes me suspicious is the price.  $1800 for an all latex bed is at least $200-300 less than it "should" be.  Having extensively priced latex mattresses, in queen size, you can get a *quality* mattress for around $2000, but not less unless you're going to a discount place like . . . foambymail and doing a DIY project.

I think the Costco Sleep Science latex mattress is the only *legitimate* first quality all latex mattress out there that might run under $2k, and although people have raved about it, I have my doubts about the quality of the latex in that.  I suspect fillers . . . though not having seen or tried it first hand, my suspicions are absolutely baseless.
Reply #22 Feb 3, 2010 7:06 PM
shelli2k wrote:
Greetings fellow Torontonian!  I've been researching mattresses for countless hours and I'm ready to buy.  Problem is I can't find a Canadian retailer who sells Sleep Science or comparable brand.  Did you make a decision?  Care to share?    Your input would be greatly appreciated.

After much reasoning, I'm inclined to go with FloBeds.  I called them up the other day and they seemed very friendly and knowledgable and they didn't try to pressure me at all. 

I am not sure there is a Canadian equivalent to FloBeds.  If there is, then I don't have the time to expend in finding it.  I feel like I could spend dozens of more hours searching, and it would  probably be in vain, when perhaps I already have the answer right in front of me: FloBeds. 

When I called FloBeds they told me that they do ship to Canada and I got the impression that they have fulfilled quite a few Canadian orders already.

However, I am loathe to order from them simply because they ship via courier companies, who always try to charge bogus, undisclosed 'brokerage' charges at the last minute and/or after delivery, on cross-border shipments.  I asked FloBeds if they could ship to me via United States Postal Service instead so I could avoid that, and he said that they are willing to, however they would have to ship the bed in 9 boxes instead of the 6 it would normally ship in (I may be misremembering the exact numbers, but it was something like that). 

They also said that if I ordered a bed frame from them as well, then they couldn't ship via U.S.P.S. because the package would be too large for U.S.P.S. to accept.

When I told them about my concern, I think the FloBed guys didn't understand that courier companies charge bogus 'brokerage' charges on cross-border shipments.  They told me that they didn't know how much the brokerage charge would be and referred me to the CBSA to find out...which was nice of them from a customer service perspective - they did everything in their power to help resolve my concern.  But it wasn't much use.   I don't think they understand that 'brokerage' charges are not a fair, uniform rate that everyone charges equally based on a legal standard (which I would accept, if that were the case), but rather courier companies have a habit of pulling their bogus, hidden 'brokerage' charge amounts out of places that it would be impolite to mention.  

In other words, I have nothing bad to say about FloBeds itself-they seem like a great company- but it is unfortunate that buying from them creates big shipping problems due to the IMO nefarious shipping entities that they must outsource the delivery to in order to get the bed to me. 

Even so, I think that I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a FloBed one way or another.   On the whole, I'd rather get scammed by bogus courier company charges than get scammed by buying a bed with awful polyurethane foam in it that is definitely going to break down in a few months.

This message was modified Feb 3, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Reply #23 Feb 3, 2010 7:35 PM
Well I have a Flobeds and I was terrified of buying a mattress I'd never tried online . .. but I have been really happy with the mattress and the customer service.  Not sure what to say about the shipping to Canada, except that it sounds like you'll be at the mercy of the shippers, which is really unfortunate.  I have one other idea.  Why don't you contact Latex International directly and find out if they supply latex to any mattress manufacturers in Canada?  If you could go directly to a Canadian source and order your latex there . . .I mean, as great as Flobeds is, basically they are selling you Latex International latex with a very nice cotton and wool zippered mattress cover.  If you can source the exact same latex in Canada, and a zippered latex cover, then you can probably save yourself a whack of money.  But use the mattress advisor on LI's site to figure out what ILDs to order your latex.
Reply #24 Feb 3, 2010 7:46 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
I agree about the "I smell a fish."  I haven't ever seen a mattress made by an "S" company that was really 100% latex.  What I suggest you do, is take a very careful look at the label when the bed arrives.  You'll be able to read the entire content of the mattress and if you see any foam other than latex in the "ingredient list," send that puppy right back.  I hope you have a money back guarantee.

Another thing that makes me suspicious is the price.  $1800 for an all latex bed is at least $200-300 less than it "should" be.  Having extensively priced latex mattresses, in queen size, you can get a *quality* mattress for around $2000, but not less unless you're going to a discount place like . . . foambymail and doing a DIY project.

Yes, and $1800 is their listed price! We all know that S Co's always list one price and then sell it about 25-40% less than that. So that price for an all latex mattress just doesn't sound right.
I would try talking to someone else about it, see if they give you the same info... Maybe call the Serta Company and talk to someone there, or a dealer - whoever you have not talked with yet...

I'll say this, if it is as they are telling you , it is a pretty good deal.

If you are sure you get a 30 day trial, then give it a shot! But be very wary.
Reply #25 Feb 3, 2010 7:51 PM
KimberlyH wrote:

I think the Costco Sleep Science latex mattress is the only *legitimate* first quality all latex mattress out there that might run under $2k, and although people have raved about it, I have my doubts about the quality of the latex in that.  I suspect fillers . . . though not having seen or tried it first hand, my suspicions are absolutely baseless.

I did provide a link for the product. It's a $2800 set but it's on sale now for $2499. I only purchased the mattress minus the boxspring. I asked for a few hundred dollars off and they agreed. Like I stated, the only non-latex padding is in the quilted covering. And that's the same quilted covering used in any mattress.

Here's the link. For some reason the "insert link" button isn't working in my browser.

This message was modified Feb 3, 2010 by london79
Reply #26 Feb 3, 2010 8:05 PM
they *could* be using quiltable latex in the top quilted layer, however it is doubtful.  If the law label lists polyurethane then it is probably at least some polyurethane in the quilted layer (maybe an inch or so). 

Recent Posts