My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Jan 31, 2010 1:48 PM
Hi guys,

I signed-up for this site because I conducted some research of the various types of beds out there.  Based on my research uncovering huge problems with each option, I have no idea what to buy.

I need to buy a new bed soon..

When I researched spring mattresses I found the following problems:

- They usually sag after a while and the sag is most often not covered under warranty because the warranty states that some level of sag is acceptable to them, the manufacturer, whilst the buyer remains stuck with a sagging mattress.

- they allow for dust mites etc. to accumulate

- it is impossible to comparison shop due to shady collusion between manufacturers and retailers obfuscating the features/specs of the products

- from my own personal experience with other spring mattresses, I don't like how they have thousands of tiny balls form on them, kind of like pilling in clothing...I presume that all spring mattresses do that?  I really hate that.

When I researched memory foam mattresses, I found the following problems:

- they tend to crap out after a few years

- they get infested with mold if they get wet and then they are health hazards and nothing can be done about that

- some of them emit toxins due to the glue used in their manufacturing or something

Ok, so now that I know about these problems, I will feel like a sucker for buying any kind of bed. Yet, I still need a bed so I will have to buy something.

Is there any kind of bed that doesn't have these problems?

I hope you guys can help give me some clarity as to how I should wade through these problems and determine  what I should buy.  What kind of bed can I buy that will give me the peace of mind of knowing such defects won't mess with me in the future?

I live in Toronto, Canada and my price range is about $1500-2000 CAD but I might be willing to go higher (maybe up to $3500 CAD max)  if I can find a bed that doesn't have any of the aforementioned type of problems.  I do not have a lot of money, so it is very important for me to buy a bed that will last for around 10 years at least.

This message was modified Jan 31, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #5 Jan 31, 2010 7:34 PM
the Sleep Country latex mattresses made by Restwell are all small amounts of latex on top of "soy based" polyurethane foam.  They are not in a true sense of the word an all latex mattress.  I can see some people being happy with them but at the same time not surprised the odd one would get returned.  I recently checked these mattresses out locally and the guy couldn't tell me anything.  Luckily I know what latex 'feels' like and a quick push on the edge of the mattress revealed the polyfoam core.  I was told that the core is all soy (no such thing, its soy-based poly), and is organic.  Lots of misinformation from the big box stores on this type of product.  I was also told the latex was all natural and I am quite sure it is a synthetic blend (70% synthetic). 

In keeping with the health benefits of being a natural product it doesn't make any sense to use poly-foams or polyester covers and or fibres.  A top quality latex mattress worthy of commanding the higher sticker prices will be quilted with all natural materials in addition to only using natural latex in the core. 
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #6 Jan 31, 2010 7:38 PM
I wonder whether that mattress the guy reported on in the link you gave was really 100% latex.  I suspect it may have been a few inches of latex on top of a PU foam base, which is what a lot of the major mattress manufacturers do.  I have not heard many, if any, reported issues with sagging in latex mattresses, and I have had my new 100% latex mattress for about 3 months now, with absolutely no sag. 

I highly recommend a latex mattress.  Budgy can help you track down a reputable dealer, as he is a dealer in Canada himself.
Reply #7 Jan 31, 2010 7:45 PM
unfortunately in the GVA there have been a couple of independent stores that have recently shut down.  Which would explain why we have sold quite a few mattresses into the area the last year.  Sleep Country Canada is huge in that region I believe that is where they started.
Reply #8 Jan 31, 2010 8:03 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
I wonder whether that mattress the guy reported on in the link you gave was really 100% latex.  I suspect it may have been a few inches of latex on top of a PU foam base, which is what a lot of the major mattress manufacturers do.

I'm sure you and budgy are right about that.  I feel bad that bed sellers aren't legally required to adhere to full disclosure standards and not have any misleading or omitted wording.

No doubt the reason why consumers like me and who posted in that other thread are confused is because of misleading information stated & omitted by bed sellers (they certainly don't advertise that sagging will occur, although their warranties and consumer complaints make it obvious).

I am thankful that I learned for sure not to buy a pillowtop/eurotop.  Yet all the spring mattresses I've seen advertised online by local sellers have been pillowtop/eurotop and no doubt with PU foam that will break down.

What I don't get is, why do consumers keep buying those PU-loaded spring mattresses that will inevitably sag after a little while?  I can certainly see how they could get scammed by that the first time, as I very well might have been myself had I not performed extensive research before buying.  But I would think that eventually the word would spread and no one would willingly buy mattresses that are pre-destined to fail.    So what's up with why those types of bad mattresses are so ludicrously prevalent?

This message was modified Jan 31, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Reply #9 Jan 31, 2010 8:36 PM
"But I would think that eventually the word would spread and no one would willingly buy mattresses that are pre-destined to fail."

Because there are a woefully large number of ignorant people, who seem to almost revel in their ignorance, and are therefore doomed to remain ignorant. They will continue to get fleeced by the manufacturers who understand this.
Reply #10 Feb 1, 2010 1:10 AM
Here's another vote for flobeds, because if you don't like it you can return it, no problem, and you can experiment with the configuration until you get it right or send it back.

My only contribution to your decision process is to tell you this:

Be aware that not everyone likes the feel of pure foam without springs. If you are one of those, you have a dilemma because there are almost no reasonably priced GOOD spring mattresses out there - they all have too much foam in them.

So if you turn out to be a person who needs springs, you have to buy as inexpensive of a mattress as you can get, with good springs and open 'er up and replace the foam with latex, as I have done. There are threads on mattress surgery here.

Here's my take on "What's the Best Mattress":
http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/experts-answer-question-what-mattress-should-i-buy/6097-0-1.html
This message was modified Feb 1, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #11 Feb 1, 2010 1:35 AM
I definitely like the good consensus about FloBeds.  I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see if they ship to Canada, and if so if they ship via U.S.P.S.  I hate courier companies and refuse to do business with them because they always try to rip me off with bogus scam charges on cross-border shipments.

I never ordered anything as big as a bed via shipment with U.S.P.S. though. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have limits for size or weight of parcels.  That would be another dilemma of me getting a bad deal either way if I was forced to choose between a bad mattress or get scammed by bogus courier company charges. But I guess sometimes life is full is nonsense like that. 

I really appreciate all the good advice from you guys, thanks!

Before I came to this site I was on the fence about maybe buying a PU spring mattress because they are the most readily available and cheapest and I figured maybe I'd get lucky and mine wouldn't get fubared over time, but after reading around on this site including in this thread, I am rightfully more disgusted than ever with PU spring mattresses and am resolved never to buy one, period.  I'm sure I will be happy about that decision at least  in the long run.

This message was modified Feb 1, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Reply #12 Feb 1, 2010 9:49 AM
you might check out whether there are similar, reputable companies to Flobeds, etc. in Canada.  I can only imagine how expensive it would be to ship a latex bed and pay the taxes, duties, etc.  Further, one of the greatest benefits of Flobeds is their very generous exchange policies, which allow you to trade latex layers until you get just the configuration you need.  That would be an added expense if you found you needed to swap out a layer of latex.
Reply #13 Feb 1, 2010 10:30 AM
I know I'm not a favorite BUT I love the bed I "made"! I read a whole lot on this site as well as many of the foam sites. I am so very grateful for all the really excellent information. My futon-with-springs is working for me as a great, cheap base/box springs, with 3 sheets of latex from Overstock. Ya, everyone says it's a "mix" but I took my Costco bed apart, I called all the companies and it sure looks, feels and doesn't smell like a "mix". Whatever, it's working for me, I feel great! This is the 1st time in 20 years I have been off air and I just can't begin to tell you how happy I am!! How grateful, not a kink, pain or anything else. On top of that Costco had a super little air cleaner which licked the off gases problem. So reasonable I bought two.

The $1100.00 bed goes back to Costco this week, to be picked up by the same delivery man who dropped it off, ALL included in the price of the bed. Now how can you beat that? The bed I configured myself cost $500.

Thanks to all and budgy for giving me a heads-up on the off gases, nasty stuff. Funny, seems like all futons smell like hay, I called Cannon (it's made in the USA) and asked about it. They are suppose to call me back today. I want to hear why it smells like hay. It feels like I'm sleeping in a barn, the dogs love it! Of course!

Happy days to all and thanks for getting me off air!

Alice in Wonderland

Reply #14 Feb 1, 2010 7:34 PM
Shortly before Christmas Costco had a 100% latex bed for sale.  They sold out pretty quickly, and i didn't get one, but several people on this board did and they have been enthusiastically endorsed by everybody.  Supposedly Costco is going to have them back in stock in a few weeks, you might want to wait and check for it.  The label is Sleep Science.  The prices were fantastic, and the return guarantee was pretty good too.

I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter when they're back in stock.

Recent Posts