MATTRESS SURGERY: performing a "foam-ectomy" on my Englander mattress - w/ photos
Sep 4, 2009 1:22 AM
Guess what? Englander is no better than the S brands (imho)...

As you may know, I bought the Englander (Malibu Firm) only for the springs. I PLANNED to give it a "foam-ectomy", getting rid of the junky cheap foam. But I wanted to see how long it might be comfortable before I did surgery on it.

Well, after about 4 nights I determined that it was not good at all for my back.

So I did surgery on it tonight. 

I'm going to adda link to or post pictures of the surgery in the near future, right here in this thread.

I did expect more from Englander...
I opened it up and was shocked to see that they had NO - ZERO - ZILCH!!! - good firm foam inside!

What it had was 3 layers of 7/16" very soft, white pu foam on top of the springs. That's ALL! NO firm foam, no support, NO WONDER it was hurting my back, and no wonder if you look around the web you can find dozens of posts about how people's Englander mattresses started hurting their back within a week to a month... just like the "S" brands...

On top of the 1 and 5/16 inches of soft junky pu foam, there was the whatchacallit, the top sewn into tufts, whatever they call that thing. (What kind of a mattress expert am I??!  I can never remember the name of that top piece! ) I removed that too because it's just  the same cheap junky foam sewn together with a cloth and tufted...

(By the way, if you buy the Malibu PLUSH instead of the Malibu FIRM, know what you get? Instead of 1 and 5/16" of junky pu foam, you get about 5" of junky pu foam!  That must REALLY hurt people's backs!) This kind of mattress construction - which all the major companies are using, now, STINKS! PU foam = Peee Eww!

So, I took off ALL the foam, and then replaced it with this, from bottom up:

1" of zoned HR foam: top = medium, middle = firm, and bottom = very firm (feet area doesn't really matter, imho)
3/4" of medium-soft latex (Talalay - not certain of the ILD - maybe 24 or 28?)
1" of Venus foam

So it's about the same amount of foam as it had - now 2 and 3/4 instead of just 2" - but the main difference is that now I have QUALITY foam on top of the springs, foam that gives SUPPORT as well as softness.

Will post more as the experiment progresses...

I'll be playing around with this combination, see how it feels. My wife has something very similar to this on top of her Sealy springs, and she likes it pretty well.-

P.S. the springs seem to feel pretty good. I can't say for sure though until I've slept on them with good foam for a while
This message was modified Sep 5, 2009 by jimsocal
Re: MATTRESS SURGERY: performing a "foam-ectomy" on my Englander mattress - w/ photos
Reply #66 Sep 22, 2009 8:38 PM
mybackhurts wrote:
Jim, thanks for all the information, it is really helping me quite a bit.

-You're quite welcome!

So where did you find your Englander mattress?  I went around to a few stores here this weekend, and only a couple of them had Englander mattresses.  The lowest spring gauge i could find was 12-3/4.  What I want is the cheapest Englander mattress I can find with 12.5 gauge coil (cal-king size).  I'm guessing i can find something for under $800. 

-I would not worry too much about 12.5 vs. 12.75 springs. There may not be that much difference. If you weigh over 200lb, maybe the 12.5 would be best, otherwise it may not matter that much. Your best bet is to just look on the net or phone book under mattresses and call around and ask if they carry Englander. If they don't, tell them you really want a 12.5 gauge Bonnell spring; maybe they have it. One 12.5 gauge spring is probably as good as another. Maybe Kait can address this, I'm not sure that's true, but "for all practical purposes" it may be true. I paid $229 for a twin so you should be able to get a Cal-King for no more than $460 or close to that. Remember that mattress stores almost always have a LOT of room to discount and if they don't bring it down enough, politely walk out and tell them you're going to "shop around". You can always come back. For example, my Malibu Firm was marked at $400, the first store brought that down to $300, then the next store brought it down to $229. So that's a little over half the asking price. You might find the Cal King priced retail at $900. They should bring it down to no more than $500.

Then I will add the cuddle-topper from Costco.  Then i will wait a few weeks or months like yourself, and if I can back pain or discomfort, I will start the mattress surgery.

-The cuddle bed may or may not work for you. It doesn't provide much cushioning but sometimes I felt it was a bit too much pu foam for my liking. I'm not sure though. Other times, it seemed fine.

As to trying the mattress as-is for a few weeks, my GUESS is you will find it very uncomfortable, as I did and have to do surgery right away. The reason is that it will no doubt be similar to mine and have 3" or so of VERY soft, VERY non-supportive crappy foam; so one's body sinks right in, down to the spring level. With a quality, firmer foam as I have (1" of HR Medium) as my first (bottom) layer, that in itself provides support and keeps me from feeling the springs. Then I have a 1" of Venus - very dense - memory foam, then ¾" of soft latex on top and then a wool layer instead of the CuddleBed. The CuddleBed may work for you or may not. Someone on here just bought one and didn't like it. Maybe he/she will sell it to you? I am not sure if I liked mine or not. All I know is the wool I have is much better. Though I loved the way the Cuddlebed looked. But then again, as I always say, "HOPEFULLY, no one else is going to see it, other than you and your spouse!"

i am completely convinced that the expensive mattresses are a scam.  They might be slightly better, but nothing to justify the cost.  And after seeing the surgery pictures, there's no rocket science to these things.  it's clear that the mattress industry gets by because of a purposeful lack of information to customers.  It is very simply springs and foam, covered by fancy stitching.

-Exactly! It's just springs and foam. The ONE thing that might make a difference is if you bought one of the premium type springs. I'm not even sure those are worth it, but I say they MIGHT be worth it. And from what I can tell, even the expensive mattresses use SOME cheap pu foam, which  - if they do - negates the good foam they may put on top or under it. Better to do it yourself.

Here's another example.  My parents are more well to do than I am.  My mom bought a cal-king Chattam & Wells mattress.  Sometimes, my mom is not the most rational person in the world, but she's pretty good when it comes to shopping.  However, she's the type where she will not admit that the bed is uncomfortable if she spent $4000 on it because that would mean she was wrong about something.  So there's a lot of psychology involved with these expensive mattresses, and the companies know it.  Somewhere in this thread, it was said that 78% of people who bought an expensive mattress were highly satisfied or something.  I call BS to that.  I think, sure, the mattress might be a little better, but i think there's a lot of psychology involved there because the people do not want to admit that their expensive investment sucks.  I think those statistics are highly unreliable.

-I think so, too. Unless one is "filthy" rich, one should not be spending $4k on a mattress. I've yet to see one that had materials or tehcnology that would warrant that kind of money. And I'm sure plenty of people don't like them but just don't report not liking it. Or it may be like cars... With a new Honda, for instance, they get their "stats" by sending the new owner a postcard with questions on it about what they like about it, during the first MONTH. Well, yeah, the chances are that in fhe first month you are going to love it. If they wanted a true measure they should ask you after a year... So the mattress thing may be something like that.

now, back to my mom's mattress...before I even bought my cal-king mattress, i slept on it for a few nights.  My back hurt after anything more than 7 hours rest.  Now, I have never had back pain in my life!  Up to that time, I had been sleeping in a little twin bed (firm, Ethan Allen) my whole life, which is silly because I'm 6'3" and don't even really fit in it.  So, that made me wonder.  I looked at the mattress and I could see a noticeable sag, not that bad though.  It was a very plush pillowtop mattress, so of course there was going to be sag.  The sag makes my back hurt, I'm sure of it.

-I cannot imagine any way that a pillow top could be comfortable for more than a few months, MAX, if it has any pu foam in it. Only it it were pure latex could it last. Even very good memory foam like Venus breaks down or breaks in very quickly. I would not want to buy a mattress with it INSIDE. With a DIY mattress you can just replace it or turn it over or whatever... And even latex does break down or break in, so even that, you're better off doing surgery and putting in your own so you can replace it easily. Also, based on Alexander's revelation of how much profit they (the mattress co's)  add when they add better foams, if a company put in a $150 piece of latex, they would charge you probably $300-400 extra for the mattress.

So later, my dad, who had been sleeping on another full-size pillowtop (cheaper brand), starting having his back hurt because of it.  My dad has at least some history of back problems, and he's older, so it obviously affects him more.  He told me that it was so bad sometimes that he couldn't even walk for half the day.  So he started sleeping on the ground, which was better for him (although not a great, by any means).  I told him to try the old firm twin I used.  he tried it and said it was better than the ground, but not great.  Then, he went back to the cal-king expensive mattress, and he said that's been the best so far, although not awesome.  So, according to my dad, the expensive mattress was the best.

-I wonder if your dad would let you do a mattress surgery on the twin. If you use a cuddlebed topper - very inexpensive for the Twin - it wouldn't look bad at all. You could put some latex from FBM and some Sensus or other decent memory foam from overstock.com on top of the springs... Materials for doing surgery on a twin are anywhere between $200-300.

However!!  I don't get much out of the situation, because all the beds my dad tried (except for my old twin) were these very plush pillowtops.  I think pillowtops are horrible because you never know where the sag is coming from; the plush or the springs?  And after seeing the mattress surgery pictures, I can't be sure of anything now.

-The sag is almost always from the foam, not the springs. Unless the springs are 10+ years old, then maybe it could be the springs. But then again, the older springs were probably built to last longer.

but Jim is right, there needs to be something done about the mattress industry.  I've never seen such little information about products I've tried to research.  The entire industry can go to hell as far as I'm concerned, or at least have a huge makeover.  They are messing with our minds.  They know it's such a huge item physically that there is stres involved in returning/exchanging it.  They also know that foams and springs break down slowly enough where several weeks of comfort can pass before any discomfort occurs.  Their 10-year warranties mean nothing, because it has to do with only materials and defects...but since nobody knows what the materials are, all the power is in the hands of the manufacturers, so warranties don't mean a thing.  And the warranty is void if you open the mattress up.  They put all that nice stitching around the mattrress to make it look good, and that's all just for looks.  I hate this mattress industry so much.

-Join the club! Eventually the mattress industry will have to listen to us, and reform. They have - at this point - a reputation worse than used car salesmen. At least with a car, you know what the important components are.

So that's why my plan is this, based on Jim's information and my experiences:
--Buy a Cal-King mattress with 12.5 gauge springs for as cheap as possible (do I care about spring count?).  NO PILLOWTOP OR PLUSH (although this is very hard to find).

-They can order it. Most places can get special orders in a week, that's been my experience.

--I'll sleep on it for a while.
--Once it starts causing discomfort, it's mattress surgery time.

-For me, that was about 3 nights!

--Experiment with my foam layers, use a cuddle-topper from Costco to cover up the damage.

Total shouldn't cost me more than $1000.  And I bet the mattress will be better than any expenisve store mattress.

-Well, as a hard core believer in DIY mattress surgery, I agree. I hope it works out for you. The more people that do this, the more common it will become, and the more common it becomes, the less the mattress companies can get away with selling junky foam hidden inside expensive mattresses. That's the ultimate consumer's revenge against them. And if the springs are well made you should be able to keep your mattress going for 10-20 years by just replacing the foam. Also, the Firms are cheaper than the pillowtops, so that's less of an expense for you and less profit to the company!

Good luck! And please post your experience here in a new thread.
This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by jimsocal
Re: MATTRESS SURGERY: performing a "foam-ectomy" on my Englander mattress - w/ photos
Reply #67 Sep 23, 2009 2:43 AM
Jim;
Glad the springs are helping.  There is just a different feel of support with them than with plain foam.  I was also thinking that people who pay big bucks for a product typically don't complain about it much, because in so many people's minds, you get more if you pay more.  But what you pay for something often has no relevance to how it will perform or last!!!  I believe in getting the most for the least possible, BUT won't accept crap. 
In this economy it is so important to get value for your hard earned money, waste needs to be a thing of the past.   Spending thousands of dollars, multiple times, on beds that don't perform and actually cause chronic back pain is just unacceptable.  I met a nice woman who lived across from my parent' s old house when we were moving my mom out.  She had crippling, chronic back pain.  Slept on a Tempurpedic mattress.  I cringed.  But, because those things cost so much money, and there is so much hype surrounding them, she didn't think that the mattress could POSSIBLY be part of her problem.  I did try to tell her, but to no avail.
Actually,  my topper is not actually a Cuddlebed...it is a mattress topper that is a down-like poly-fill mat, several inches thick.  No foam in it.  It is washable and fluffs pretty nicely but it does tend to flatten out in my problem area.  So I have to fluff it up every couple of weeks or so.  I don't have a Costco membership...there isn't enough that I'd save money on to justify the purchase of the card(toldja I was cheap!).
The offset coils are just a bit different than the Bonnell.  The tops of the coils stick up a bit, and give a bit of a different feel.  I think it depends on how the wires are attached.  I have had long discussions with Bill about this, but still as clear as mud.
Kait
Reply #68 Sep 23, 2009 9:21 PM
"-Well, as a hard core believer in DIY mattress surgery, I agree. I hope it works out for you. The more people that do this, the more common it will become, and the more common it becomes, the less the mattress companies can get away with selling junky foam hidden inside expensive mattresses. That's the ultimate consumer's revenge against them. And if the springs are well made you should be able to keep your mattress going for 10-20 years by just replacing the foam. Also, the Firms are cheaper than the pillowtops, so that's less of an expense for you and less profit to the company!"

It is terrible how much awful garbage is inside your average mattress. I am glad I got a whole latex for me and my wife but not yet sure whats the best topper. But in any case the key is to make sure the core is solid.
Reply #69 Sep 23, 2009 11:29 PM
Kait wrote:
Jim;
Glad the springs are helping.  There is just a different feel of support with them than with plain foam.  I was also thinking that people who pay big bucks for a product typically don't complain about it much, because in so many people's minds, you get more if you pay more.  But what you pay for something often has no relevance to how it will perform or last!!!  I believe in getting the most for the least possible, BUT won't accept crap. 
In this economy it is so important to get value for your hard earned money, waste needs to be a thing of the past.   Spending thousands of dollars, multiple times, on beds that don't perform and actually cause chronic back pain is just unacceptable.  I met a nice woman who lived across from my parent' s old house when we were moving my mom out.  She had crippling, chronic back pain.  Slept on a Tempurpedic mattress.  I cringed.  But, because those things cost so much money, and there is so much hype surrounding them, she didn't think that the mattress could POSSIBLY be part of her problem.  I did try to tell her, but to no avail.
Actually,  my topper is not actually a Cuddlebed...it is a mattress topper that is a down-like poly-fill mat, several inches thick.  No foam in it.  It is washable and fluffs pretty nicely but it does tend to flatten out in my problem area.  So I have to fluff it up every couple of weeks or so.  I don't have a Costco membership...there isn't enough that I'd save money on to justify the purchase of the card(toldja I was cheap!).
The offset coils are just a bit different than the Bonnell.  The tops of the coils stick up a bit, and give a bit of a different feel.  I think it depends on how the wires are attached.  I have had long discussions with Bill about this, but still as clear as mud.
Kait

Kait, I agree about the springs. It's a better feel, to me. 

I actually had the same problem, re not wanting to admit it was my mattress:

The year or so I spent on pure foam minus-springs, my back was always hurting and my wife kept saying "You need springs!" I kept saying, "No! There is nothing wrong with foam! Foam gives good support when it's good foam!" So I resisted because I was somehow mentally invested in the "idea" of pure foam.

What kills me though is how people will complain to me about their mattress, and I tell them that they could easily cut it open and replace the foam like I have done, and I'm willing to help them ... but they won't do it! For some reason the idea of cutting open a mattress seems scary to them! Even an old one that is hurting their back and they want to buy a new one... I don't get it.

I don't have a CostCo Membership either, for exactly the same reason. It's just the wife and I and we don't get much benefit from it. We bought the Sealy at CostCo years ago. So, when I went to their web site, because I had ordered from them once, they still allowed me to order the Cuddlebed even though my membership had expired years before.

Back to the Springs thing: for me, now it's like "I've seen the light!" I am tempted to tell anyone who's having trouble getting their foam right, that maybe they need springs!
But it seems to be true that many people do love their foam mattresses, especially when it's pure latex. So, I guess some of us need springs and some don't. Also I tried the Sealy springs for a long time with my own foam on top of them, and those springs just never felt right to me. They're the type that are all kind of connected together with wires, I forget what they're called... My wife is still sleeping on hers and is happy enough with them, but I never liked them. I'm liking my Englander a lot. I am SO hoping the feel of it doesn't change in a week or a month or 6 months....
This message was modified Sep 25, 2009 by jimsocal
Reply #70 Sep 29, 2009 8:02 PM
I'm all ears and eyes....where can I see this surgery?

Have a beautiful Chattam & Well that lasted for 6 1/2 years and just developed body impression that sent my hubby's back into shooting nerve problem, so he's on floor for 5 weeks now, but no problem now that he's out of the bed.

We are researching $3K latex beds but nothing around to try near us so have to order blind online BUT I told hubby that I wish I could cut our C&W open and get rid of the poly foam in there that has impressed & replace it with a foambymail latex layer....he said I was crazy...

Then I read this thread and I'm lol.....

I need to see a photo to be sure I cut properly as I'm doing this when he's not home...heh heh.....and he won't know until too late.

We didn't get a pillowtop or eurotop, so maybe I won't have to deal with too much poly quilting onto the cover, but it does have something quilted on  :(   

I need to know where to cut - I want to save the top if I can & then hide the damage with the mattress cover after I attempt to sew it back on. King will take forever to sew 3 sides back on but I'll end up saving about $3k if it works out.

So, photos please when you can!

Tks
Reply #71 Sep 29, 2009 8:27 PM
catlover wrote:
I'm all ears and eyes....where can I see this surgery?

Have a beautiful Chattam & Well that lasted for 6 1/2 years and just developed body impression that sent my hubby's back into shooting nerve problem, so he's on floor for 5 weeks now, but no problem now that he's out of the bed.

We are researching $3K latex beds but nothing around to try near us so have to order blind online BUT I told hubby that I wish I could cut our C&W open and get rid of the poly foam in there that has impressed & replace it with a foambymail latex layer....he said I was crazy...

Then I read this thread and I'm lol.....

I need to see a photo to be sure I cut properly as I'm doing this when he's not home...heh heh.....and he won't know until too late.

We didn't get a pillowtop or eurotop, so maybe I won't have to deal with too much poly quilting onto the cover, but it does have something quilted on  :(   

I need to know where to cut - I want to save the top if I can & then hide the damage with the mattress cover after I attempt to sew it back on. King will take forever to sew 3 sides back on but I'll end up saving about $3k if it works out.

So, photos please when you can!

Tks
Hey catlover, if you go to the top post in this thread (and any thread here) and look underneath it you will see:
PreviousAllView as Outline

Choose All and that will show you every post in the thread. This forum has a somewhat archaic and unique "feature" which allows you to view just the some of the threads at one time, usually the first and the last few, but not the rest. To see all you have to choose All or View as Outline which will then show you a list of all the threads within a topic. If you choose All you will see all the photos of the mattress surgery.

As to "if it works out", if your springs are not shot (and they probably are not) it WILL work out!

As to where to cut, see the thread about that here in this forum and also see my photos above.

Good luck. Please take photos and post them when you cut, show us the CR*P inside your S brand mattress! Show us the springs, show us the foam... One thing the S brands do right is that most of the springs do last quite a long time unless you buy individual coils.

Let us know how it goes. If you need any specific advice post your question here and I'll see it, or start a new topic and I'll see that. My mail box isn't the best place, as I don't always check it.
Reply #72 Sep 30, 2009 6:22 AM
Jim-- Great post! But for some reason I never saw the pictures... or most of the posts until I decided to answer Catlover's post. Then it all came up. Very mysterious! Loved the slide show. It's really interesting to see what's inside all these mattresses and the approach different manufacturers take. If only they would take a lesson from us they'd turn out a much better product.

Catlover-- if you'd like to see more pictures of another mattress surgery here's a link to the one I did on mine: http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/mattress-surgery-101/4385-0-1.html I just checked it out to make sure the pictures were still active.

Reply #73 Sep 30, 2009 5:50 PM
Hey, Catlover;
Yep, you found this just in time!  I've heard that the type of mattress you have has lots of polyfoam inside, which is likely the problem.  IMO, nothing ventured, nothing gained....what do you have to lose when your hubby cannot even sleep in your bed???  There is NO resale for beds, so it is a worthless piece of crap unless you try to make it work better. 
I think you are on the right track.  I would not worry too much about the foam in the top fabric unless nothing is changed by replacing the inside foam.  Then maybe cut.  Typically there isn't a lot of foam in the top piece.
Speaking of cut apart beds, I helped my stepdaughter move yesterday...she is the owner of my last bed that I cut open.  She's actually gone BACK to the original foam that was in the bed to start with, unbelievably(well, she does weigh more per square inch than I do, so maybe that is it), except there was a double layer of insulator added  between the springs and the foam, and I replaced the center piece of bottom foam(across the hip area) with a hd polyfoam.  I almost laid down on it, but I resisted.  Like my new bed just fine.
Kait
Reply #74 Oct 2, 2009 4:29 AM
cloud9 wrote:
Jim-- Great post! But for some reason I never saw the pictures... or most of the posts until I decided to answer Catlover's post. Then it all came up. Very mysterious! Loved the slide show. It's really interesting to see what's inside all these mattresses and the approach different manufacturers take. If only they would take a lesson from us they'd turn out a much better product.

Catlover-- if you'd like to see more pictures of another mattress surgery here's a link to the one I did on mine: http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/mattress-surgery-101/4385-0-1.html I just checked it out to make sure the pictures were still active.

Thanks, and I'm glad you posted your url of your mattress surgery here. It's good to have as many as possible all in one place, I think. Very nice job on your photos and post!

I don't think the mattress manufacturers are interested in producing a better product! I think they're interested in producing cheap mattresses with pillowtops that will break down quickly and cause people to have to buy new ones very soon. Seems incredibly short-sighted and hard to believe any company would think that way, yet it seems to me that is how they think. My thinking would be, "Let's make a good quality mattress and then show people WHY it's a better quality mattresss by educating them in our advertising and promotions, and explain why it's best to spend a little more on a mattress that will last."

Personally I think ALL manufacturers should offer at least one model that has a zippered cover, easy to open, and offer various latex and memory foam layers to put in there. Like flobeds, only with springs. If I had the money I'd start it up, myself! Whatever they do, DIY type or not, they should NOT be putting 3-6" of crappy foam on top of the springs!
Reply #75 Oct 2, 2009 8:54 AM
cloud9 wrote:

Cloud9, thank you for posting that link. I thought I'd read all the "mattress surgery" threads on the forum, but I somehow missed yours. Very helpful. I don't think I'll have to do that for a good long while, because I bought a minimally padded, extra firm (3 layers of fiber mat), flippable mattress this summer, but I really like knowing that the surgery option is there, and seeing how people have done it.

If the spirit moves you to take pictures of the velcro tabs you sewed on, and add those to the thread sometime, that would be even more extra-helpful. (Or tell me if they're already in there, and I'm just not seeing them.) But what you've got is fantastic and much appreciated.

And I like the Monty Python references.

-Catherine

Recent Posts