Love affair with Tempurpedic??
Nov 5, 2011 11:35 AM
I have to say that I am truly perplexed by the love affair that most mattress store salesmen have with Tempurpedic.

All the friends I have who own them love them. And when I go to mattress stores, salesmen RAVE about them. I mean, they basically make it sound like it's THE BEST and only option that they are confident in. Even when comparing against other very expensive mattresses- so not that they would make more money on the Tempurpedic than another comparable priced one? Unless Tempurpedic provides some additional kick backs or incentives to the stores and that's why they never sell them for a discount. Or like some kind of hold back on volume like a car dealership. No idea. And yet, then you read several complaints about them and the softening, sagging, etc...- not from everyone, but certainly they are out there.

Do these mass mattress store salesmen just love them so much b/c it's all relative and everything else they carry is such junk that Tempurpedic really is the gold standard? Are they really THAT good in the long run, or are they somehow making more money on selling Tempurpedic than other similiarly priced mattresses?

A few months ago, I would have said that I had a good deal of confidence in the long term durability of a Tempurpedic, but now after more research I am just not sure. I do think I have more confidence in Tempurpedic than many other brands of memory foam. But, perhaps memory foam of any kind just will not really hold it's shape or support very long.

But, then I am totally confused why people that own them all seem to love them, and more so by why mattress salesmen at most stores just completely worship them?? And I mean, several different stores. Not just one- not even the same chain of stores. And they would all seem to bet their life on a Tempurpedic never coming back to them.
Re: Love affair with Tempurpedic??
Reply #7 Nov 7, 2011 11:01 PM
Dallasgirl wrote:

That's what I'm exploring now :) If we go Tempurpedic, we'll need the Bellafina just for the feel for my husband. Since it has latex under the memory foam, it has a faster recovery time, which my husband perfers.

Also exploring a few beds with good coils and then a thin layer of latex or even a bit of memory foam. I enjoy the cush of memory foam. But, I need whatever's under it to be firmer for my back to not hammock on my stomach.

Luckily, we're doing ok again by rotating this Embody, but I feel like my days of no back pain might be limited if this rotation mushes up too. So, just trying to do some more research and be ready if the day comes when I need to bail on this one. Bummer. I knew going in that Embody was new and there was not a lot known about the long term durability. But, we both really liked it (still do when rotated), so thought we'd give it a shot. It it holds up as promised by Mattress Firm for one year, it's mine for good. If it mushes out on me in less than a year, then they get it back.

At the moment, I am intrigued with the Bellafina and also with the Willow or Alpine model from Sovn / Berkely Ergonomics. It's tons of sturdy honeycombed coils, with 2" of 25ILD talalay latex on top. From what I can tell, they are very high quality. Pricing is about the same.

I hope the Embody doesn't become too soft.  I got spooked by the iComfort Revolution and the effects of a too soft mattress.  Went firmer with this Cloud and so far so good.

Good luck!

Reply #8 Nov 7, 2011 11:37 PM
Oh indeed. The Embody has already gotten to soft. So, I rotated it head to foot, which is ok for now. But, is likely a time bomb just waiting to mush and then the whole thing is shot :(

Bummer b/c initially, I LOVE IT. But, if it can't even hold for 6 months, my goodness. That's bad.

Reply #9 Nov 8, 2011 2:52 PM
Dallasgirl wrote:

Oh indeed. The Embody has already gotten to soft. So, I rotated it head to foot, which is ok for now. But, is likely a time bomb just waiting to mush and then the whole thing is shot :(

Bummer b/c initially, I LOVE IT. But, if it can't even hold for 6 months, my goodness. That's bad.

Not positive, but I thought they put the Embody mattresses on typical 'box spring' foundations.  Not sure how that affects things.  That said I have quite a bit of faith in the brick house TP foundation.  Wow that thing was heavy!

Reply #10 Nov 10, 2011 2:15 PM
For some reason I could not even stand the downsides of the Tempurpedic mattress. The fact it froze as hard as a board in low temperatures then it turned into a suffocating hole once it warmed up, was too much for me. I spent a couple of thousand for this bed and in the end couldn't even sleep on it anymore. I chopped it up into pieces so I could fit it in a garbage can. That was the best part of the bed for me. Sorry.
Reply #11 Nov 10, 2011 3:25 PM
edwinsmoz wrote:

For some reason I could not even stand the downsides of the Tempurpedic mattress. The fact it froze as hard as a board in low temperatures then it turned into a suffocating hole once it warmed up, was too much for me. I spent a couple of thousand for this bed and in the end couldn't even sleep on it anymore. I chopped it up into pieces so I could fit it in a garbage can. That was the best part of the bed for me. Sorry.

Seriously?  Why didn't you return your tempurpedic?  Were you not informed about their money back gurantee?  90 days wasn't long enough for you to figure out it wasn't going to work?  I'll guess someone gave it to you.  Tempurpedic (if you can find them) on craigslist are selling for a fair amount of money.  Did you think about going that route?

A majority of your posts suggest an affilition with intellabed.  I could be wrong, but we will find out soon.

I haven't experienced any of the symptoms you have (If in fact you ever owned one).  It may be firmer when cold, but it warms up pretty quick and keeps a constant body temperature.  I won't get into details on how I control temperature, unless you really want to know.  However, you don't.  I bought my tempurpedic based on friends and family who own them. There was a time when I couldn't afford one and tried different alternatives.  Now I can afford one.  One family member has had theirs for 15 years with no noticeable wear and tear (Except the cover which they replaced).

Reply #12 Nov 11, 2011 10:24 AM
Thanks to the two posters above.  When I bought my TP, the saleslady went over the 'congrats' handout where TP states 'in rooms 65 F or less, your mattress will become firmer.  However it readily warm and respond to your body ...."

So, I we just keep the thermostat set for 66 F overnight, now that's it's Fall.  Cloud feels great overnight.  I was using only a top sheet and thin quilt, and now that it's late Fall, I needed to switch back to my comforter, and it was great last night.  There goes the 'ol myth that 'Tempurpedics sleep hot'.  So not true.

Yeah, I saw that post above and thought wow that's sort of ridiculous.  Thanks for responding you two.

This message was modified Nov 11, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #13 Nov 11, 2011 4:37 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:

Seriously?  Why didn't you return your tempurpedic?  Were you not informed about their money back gurantee?  90 days wasn't long enough for you to figure out it wasn't going to work?  I'll guess someone gave it to you.  Tempurpedic (if you can find them) on craigslist are selling for a fair amount of money.  Did you think about going that route?

A majority of your posts suggest an affilition with intellabed.  I could be wrong, but we will find out soon.

I haven't experienced any of the symptoms you have (If in fact you ever owned one).  It may be firmer when cold, but it warms up pretty quick and keeps a constant body temperature.  I won't get into details on how I control temperature, unless you really want to know.  However, you don't.  I bought my tempurpedic based on friends and family who own them. There was a time when I couldn't afford one and tried different alternatives.  Now I can afford one.  One family member has had theirs for 15 years with no noticeable wear and tear (Except the cover which they replaced).

From which store did you purchase your tempurpedic? what model did you buy? did you buy the adjustable base? if you did from where?

is your mattress soft or what?

what model tempurpedic would you recommend for someone me, I am :

210 pounds

height is 6 feet 2 inches

side sleeper

medical issues - ruptured disk in low back so low back pain.

Thanks.

Reply #14 Nov 11, 2011 7:51 PM
I sold Tempurpedic for years the reason the salesman will tell you it is the best thing going is because there is no other company that marks up their products as does Tempurpedic.  I quit selling them because there are other much less expensive mattresses that are just as good. Let me give you an example:  A queen Tempurpedic Rhapsody Matt set will sell for $3299. plus tax. It cost the dealer less than $1500.00. So bottom line Tempurpedic has about 400-500 dollars in the matt. I promise you this is true.
Reply #15 Nov 11, 2011 9:05 PM
Thanks theydishonest,

Very interesting! I suspect the margins on most mattresses must also be quite high (my husband is in commercial real estate & they LOVE to lease to mattress stores b/c their margins are so high). But- since Termpurpedic is also price locked, that guarantees the store & salesman a profit of $1,700 on a Queen TP Rapsody- and paid commission on that profit too. So, while I think all margins are likely high, TP may be higher and is protected. Most other mattresses they now how to price match other stores and even sometimes online. So, end of day, TP still makes them the most $. And of course, they love that!

I am NOT accusing TP of not being high quality. It's just that it's unique. Which means that for as many people that love it, you'd expect some people to just hate it, regardless of the reason. When a salesman tells you that NO ONE ever ever returns TP, it's just fishy.

Reply #16 Nov 11, 2011 9:36 PM
theydishonest wrote:

I sold Tempurpedic for years the reason the salesman will tell you it is the best thing going is because there is no other company that marks up their products as does Tempurpedic.  I quit selling them because there are other much less expensive mattresses that are just as good. Let me give you an example:  A queen Tempurpedic Rhapsody Matt set will sell for $3299. plus tax. It cost the dealer less than $1500.00. So bottom line Tempurpedic has about 400-500 dollars in the matt. I promise you this is true.

I bought mine from a small locally owned mattress place.  I've gotten a few mattresses from them over the years.  I have gotten to know the owners quite well.  They have been selling tempur. now for about 15 years.  Unlike the bigger sleep chains who have a high turnover rate with their sales people, they do things a bit differently. They prefer to sell items that don't get them phone calls from angry customers down the road.  I believe what they tell me about mattresses and the industry.  What they like about tempurpedic is they don't have problems with them and they don't get them back (about a 5% return rate).  She said that couldn't be said about other brands of memory foam they have sold in the past.  Yes, they do show a cheaper knockoff.  It is not in the same league as the real deal.  Period.  But hey, it's not tempurpedic price either.  You get what you pay for.  Some people get it, some people never will.  It took me awhile to learn this too.

I have the Allura with the adjustable base.  Have had it for over two years.  It is not a soft mattress (to me).  It has gotten better as time goes on.   It is a very dense foam that takes a lot of time to break in and condition.  I didn't love it for about a month and a half.  My wife loved it right away.  This bed will not turn to mush or fail anytime soon.  It's awesome.  I'm not sure why I'm even here defending it.  Does it sleep warm? Yes.  Does it sleep cold? Yes.  In other words, I sleep hot and cold.  It's not the bed, it's me.  My solution is hard to explain.  I use more or less blankets depending on what needs to be addressed.  I know.  I don't let to people in on my secret, so you folks are lucky.  

Yes, they are expensive.  But I didn't want to go the costco route and replace it every two years.  Eventually they would have gotten what I paid for my Allura out of me.  Or some other knock off like the sales gal above would love to sell me.  It was money well spent.  Just like they told me when I bought it.  Small local businesses stay in business because of people like me.  Do they make money off Tempurpedic, Yes.  They deserve to.  Name an excellent product on the market today that doesn't generate a profit.  

My height and weight are 5'10 150lbs.  I can't suggest which tempurpedic will work for you.  I bought what I thought was going to be the softest of all their models.  They didn't have the cloud series when I bought mine.  I wish it was a little softer, but I got used to the firmness level.  I hope it does soften a bit more.  It may be 5 or 10 more years, I don't know.  

Good luck.

BTW there is no such thing as a miracle mattress.  But I believe any bed on an adjustable base is better than a bed without one.  Especially my Allura.

Recent Posts