Love affair with Tempurpedic??
Nov 5, 2011 11:35 AM
I have to say that I am truly perplexed by the love affair that most mattress store salesmen have with Tempurpedic.

All the friends I have who own them love them. And when I go to mattress stores, salesmen RAVE about them. I mean, they basically make it sound like it's THE BEST and only option that they are confident in. Even when comparing against other very expensive mattresses- so not that they would make more money on the Tempurpedic than another comparable priced one? Unless Tempurpedic provides some additional kick backs or incentives to the stores and that's why they never sell them for a discount. Or like some kind of hold back on volume like a car dealership. No idea. And yet, then you read several complaints about them and the softening, sagging, etc...- not from everyone, but certainly they are out there.

Do these mass mattress store salesmen just love them so much b/c it's all relative and everything else they carry is such junk that Tempurpedic really is the gold standard? Are they really THAT good in the long run, or are they somehow making more money on selling Tempurpedic than other similiarly priced mattresses?

A few months ago, I would have said that I had a good deal of confidence in the long term durability of a Tempurpedic, but now after more research I am just not sure. I do think I have more confidence in Tempurpedic than many other brands of memory foam. But, perhaps memory foam of any kind just will not really hold it's shape or support very long.

But, then I am totally confused why people that own them all seem to love them, and more so by why mattress salesmen at most stores just completely worship them?? And I mean, several different stores. Not just one- not even the same chain of stores. And they would all seem to bet their life on a Tempurpedic never coming back to them.
Re: Love affair with Tempurpedic??
Reply #1 Nov 5, 2011 12:16 PM
if your not poor and humble, then whats the point? - Terence Mckenna
if the markup really is fifty percent or more, and the salesman were to get a commission, then i would love to be selling them aswell.
Reply #2 Nov 5, 2011 2:48 PM
Dallasgirl,  you can trust in my word because I own a TP Cloud, am a regular guy who doesn't work in the mattress industry at all.

Tempurpedics have many upsides and a few downsides.  The downsides as said before is they give off a slight odor for quite some time.  I'm almost at 60 days on the mattress and about 30 days on the foundation.  There is still a slight odor when I enter the room when it's been closed.  I don't notice it when in the room.  I would describe the odor as others have said as like wet paint.  That said, it is very faint now.

TP states - TP mattresses are sensitive to temperature.  In rooms 65 F or less, your mattress will become firmer.  This is true.  I have a TP 'Comfort Pillow' which should have the original  type of Tempurpedic foam in the form of foam balls.  It's a pretty dense pillow that becomes noticeably firmer now that my room goes down to 65 F at night.   I think the Cloud pillow would be better. The mattress firms up slightly, but after I lay on it a bit, it warms up and is fine.

-----------

The upside is this Cloud is still the best mattress I've ever had.  The true test is how much can I lay on my right shoulder?  I have 5 or 6 arthroscopic incisions on my right shoulder from 2 arthro surgeries.  My shoulder hurts a little every day even sitting in a chair.  No way to make it like new again.    I can spend more time lying on my right side in this Tempurpedic than any other bed I've had.  Make that much more time.  Oftentimes I will get into bed a lay on right side and stay there.

I sleep fine in the Cloud.  It's not too cold, not too warm.  Super solid and inviting feel to it.  I really like it and aside from the skepticism off the slight odor, I'm sold on Tempurpedic. 

Only time will tell if it retains its integrity over time.  I happen to think it will.  I don't see why the foam would all of a sudden 'break down'.  The foams break in and soften up when they are brand new, over just a few days, then they stabilize.  So, I don't think the foam will just give out at 6 months or a year or whatever.  That wouldn't make sense to the customer or Tempurpedic.  If so, they wouldn't have repeat customers.  We'll see for me in x number of years.

I have no idea about salesman profits on these beds, but Sleep Train didn't push them any harder than other beds.

As for foundations, I do believe adjustable foundations have an advantage over fixed ones because it is much more comfortable to lay on the back with torso and feet up if even a little.  I will get another one in a year or so.

btw, didn't you get a Sealy Embody memory foam bed?  How's that going?  I hope you're not going back to mattress stores, eeek.  I'm so through shopping.  Don't need to anymore.

Hope that helps.

This message was modified Nov 5, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #3 Nov 5, 2011 3:17 PM
The high prices probably mean higher profits and bigger commisions.  That being said, I think the foam they use is superior to all of the low density PU foam used in the S brands.   Latex is probably longer lasting, but some prefer the plush pleasure relieving feel of a dense memory foam.   Of course there are also high quality and expensive brands of innersprings that don't use PU foam, but you won't find them in most stores.

I personally prefer a hybrid with springs, latex and memory foam.   It is possible I would be happy with a TP (I liked the Allura in testing but could not stomach the price),  or a latex +  memory foam mattress with no springs.   I haven't tried the upper end innersprings to know if I would like those.

Reply #4 Nov 5, 2011 6:37 PM
Hi slpngoc,

I of course completely trust your assessment of the Cloud! I hope it holds up the same for you in the long run! And definitely want the updates! I just want to get more assessment from folks who've owned them for many years too. You're on a good path now & only time will tell how the Cloud performs for you in the long haul. Hopefully well.

We did get the Embody Introspection bc my husband didn't like the feel of most of the tempurpedics and the Cloud was a little bit soft for me. Was awesome for about 8-10 weeks, but now it's mushing up a lot and causing back pain :( I rotated it head to foot and problem solved. So, I am wondering if this direction is going to have the same issue shortly? So dissapointing! So- that's why I was taking a closer look at tempurpedic again. But, I think our needs are different- you need enough give for your shoulder, I need more firm b/c I'm a stomach sleeper mostly. But, I need just a little bit of cush at the top to get comfy. But, not enough to sink very much or I wind up in a sway back position quickly and immediate back pain :(

Of the tempurpedics, I really like the Bellafina (it's the memory foam on top of latex over the core). It gives in a bit of a firmer feel and a little more bounce. But, still cozy. But, as always, I'm just paranoid now. If I spring for the Bellafina at $3,400+ and it mushes up on me too much, I might lose my mind! ;)

I think the stomach sleeping just makes me especially sensitive to any real amount of softening in a mattress or even the slightest sag b/c it quickly puts me in a sway back and then on to back pain.

Anyway, I only bring up this post b/c I've read about some mushing issues with TP (longer term)- not from everyone of course, but from some. But- just in general in nearly every single store I've ever been to, the sales folks are always in LOVE with TP! I have no question that it's the best quality memory foam and I did tell my husband that it's truly the only memory foam brand I'd really trust long term. But, when comparing to other beds of similar value, hands down sales reps always go for the TP. So, I just sort of wondered if there were any behind the scenes reasons for that or if they just love them that much and they are truly the best quality on their floors.

I do still think that natural latex would be more durable. But, as discussed, it really just didn't work for us. So, what can you do! Our latex issues had nothing to do with sagging, mushing, or performance. I just could never get used to the feel of it. I wish I could!!!

Reply #5 Nov 7, 2011 8:26 PM
Hey Dallasgirl,

If it comes to it, maybe try the above posters suggestions for a hybrid bed with springs, latex and / or  memory foam.  I saw a pretty interesting one a few months ago from Simmons.  I know it had springs and memory foam.  Just a thought.

Good luck!

Reply #6 Nov 7, 2011 9:18 PM
That's what I'm exploring now :) If we go Tempurpedic, we'll need the Bellafina just for the feel for my husband. Since it has latex under the memory foam, it has a faster recovery time, which my husband perfers.

Also exploring a few beds with good coils and then a thin layer of latex or even a bit of memory foam. I enjoy the cush of memory foam. But, I need whatever's under it to be firmer for my back to not hammock on my stomach.

Luckily, we're doing ok again by rotating this Embody, but I feel like my days of no back pain might be limited if this rotation mushes up too. So, just trying to do some more research and be ready if the day comes when I need to bail on this one. Bummer. I knew going in that Embody was new and there was not a lot known about the long term durability. But, we both really liked it (still do when rotated), so thought we'd give it a shot. It it holds up as promised by Mattress Firm for one year, it's mine for good. If it mushes out on me in less than a year, then they get it back.

At the moment, I am intrigued with the Bellafina and also with the Willow or Alpine model from Sovn / Berkely Ergonomics. It's tons of sturdy honeycombed coils, with 2" of 25ILD talalay latex on top. From what I can tell, they are very high quality. Pricing is about the same.

Reply #7 Nov 7, 2011 11:01 PM
Dallasgirl wrote:

That's what I'm exploring now :) If we go Tempurpedic, we'll need the Bellafina just for the feel for my husband. Since it has latex under the memory foam, it has a faster recovery time, which my husband perfers.

Also exploring a few beds with good coils and then a thin layer of latex or even a bit of memory foam. I enjoy the cush of memory foam. But, I need whatever's under it to be firmer for my back to not hammock on my stomach.

Luckily, we're doing ok again by rotating this Embody, but I feel like my days of no back pain might be limited if this rotation mushes up too. So, just trying to do some more research and be ready if the day comes when I need to bail on this one. Bummer. I knew going in that Embody was new and there was not a lot known about the long term durability. But, we both really liked it (still do when rotated), so thought we'd give it a shot. It it holds up as promised by Mattress Firm for one year, it's mine for good. If it mushes out on me in less than a year, then they get it back.

At the moment, I am intrigued with the Bellafina and also with the Willow or Alpine model from Sovn / Berkely Ergonomics. It's tons of sturdy honeycombed coils, with 2" of 25ILD talalay latex on top. From what I can tell, they are very high quality. Pricing is about the same.

I hope the Embody doesn't become too soft.  I got spooked by the iComfort Revolution and the effects of a too soft mattress.  Went firmer with this Cloud and so far so good.

Good luck!

Reply #8 Nov 7, 2011 11:37 PM
Oh indeed. The Embody has already gotten to soft. So, I rotated it head to foot, which is ok for now. But, is likely a time bomb just waiting to mush and then the whole thing is shot :(

Bummer b/c initially, I LOVE IT. But, if it can't even hold for 6 months, my goodness. That's bad.

Reply #9 Nov 8, 2011 2:52 PM
Dallasgirl wrote:

Oh indeed. The Embody has already gotten to soft. So, I rotated it head to foot, which is ok for now. But, is likely a time bomb just waiting to mush and then the whole thing is shot :(

Bummer b/c initially, I LOVE IT. But, if it can't even hold for 6 months, my goodness. That's bad.

Not positive, but I thought they put the Embody mattresses on typical 'box spring' foundations.  Not sure how that affects things.  That said I have quite a bit of faith in the brick house TP foundation.  Wow that thing was heavy!

Reply #10 Nov 10, 2011 2:15 PM
For some reason I could not even stand the downsides of the Tempurpedic mattress. The fact it froze as hard as a board in low temperatures then it turned into a suffocating hole once it warmed up, was too much for me. I spent a couple of thousand for this bed and in the end couldn't even sleep on it anymore. I chopped it up into pieces so I could fit it in a garbage can. That was the best part of the bed for me. Sorry.

Recent Posts