Latex Foam Search
Mar 18, 2011 8:33 AM
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ..... Albert Einstein
Did a bit of searching online to determine what kind of mattress would be best suited for a big guy over 350lbs with back issues, sleep apnea and a wife of 130lbs. I decided to go with latex foam and headed for the local Shelton, CT Sleepy’s.

I asked Scot the salesman to show me the latex options and he proceeded to ignore my request and steered me towards the Sleep to Live inner springs. I reminded him that I was interested in latex and he tried to dupe me into believing that the STL had latex in it.

Then he tried to steer me into an adjustable bed and said it would cure my sleep apnea. Hey, pal, I may have been born at night but it wasn’t last night. I headed off to the Dr Breus aisle. After doing the taste test on them, I had him give me some prices. He was very determined to sell me the Sleep to Live and I practically had to beg him for prices on the Dr Breus. I liked the option of being able to split the mattress zones in the STL but I was intent on latex.

Anyone have any luck finding latex with split zones for the wife’s preferences vs mine? Now I’m off to Google to research all of the above a bit futher….

Re: Latex Foam Search
Reply #17 Apr 23, 2011 8:56 PM
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ..... Albert Einstein
Hey Val,

Like you said, the first half of the buying experience was great after the Sleezy's nightmare. CSD gave us a 3 to 4 week estimate originally. Then it was pushed to 5 weeks. Now it's been moved again to the 6th week. My advice to you would be to call them and ask for a status update. They likely won't call you since my first 2 missed deadlines came and went without any kind of call at all from them.

Hopefully, next Wednesday it'll be here but I'm gonna call again on Monday after 10am to get the latest scoop, as they advised me to do yesterday.

This message was modified Apr 24, 2011 by jd2000
Reply #18 Apr 28, 2011 7:13 AM
The aforementioned king size bed arrived yesterday from Custom Sleep Design. The 3 to 4 week delivery estimate turned into a 5 1/2 week wait. Since the delivery crew was short a man, CSD owner Bob was hauling foam with his new assistant. The only minor glitch was that the 2 pillows were not loaded onto the truck and will be delivered later in the week.

Our prior mattress was a five year old Sealy Posturepedic.  After 2 years, various back pains started to appear and worsened as time went on. Towards the end, sleeping on this POS was like laying in a canoe.

All of that changed last night. Wow. A HUGE difference! It’s like literally sleeping on a cloud. I woke up this morning with NO BACK PAIN for the first time in 3 years. It used to take a bottle of vodka to accomplish that feat!

My wife had been averaging 4 trips to the bathroom throughout the average night, filled with tossing and turning. Last night she stayed sleeping on one side all night, with only one trip to the head.

I’ve heard it said a lot around here that we should give ourselves a good amount of time on our new beds before making a final judgment.  So far, so good. I’ll report back in a week or so with an update.

Reply #19 Apr 28, 2011 9:54 PM
JD - glad to hear you got your bed.  I just got an email from Caroline and my bed should be coming May 8!  I am hoping to have the same experience you had - a wonderful first night's sleep!  I usually have back pain every morning so I would love to wake up pain free!  Let me know how it is going after a week on it!  I am hoping my layers are going to be correct and I won't have to exchange a thing!  I had a temperpedic and I kept the base from that - it has 4 drawers - so I am hoping it will all work out!  I hope they don't forget my pillows either!!

What amazed me about this whole bed buying experience was that for less than the cost of the high price mattresses, you can get a mattress custom designed to your specifications.  Who wouldn't want that?  I also have to say that this forum was wonderful - I never would have thought about buying a latex mattress, let alone get one custom made for me.

Val

Reply #20 May 5, 2011 9:00 AM
Well, I figured that I should post one more time to put a period at the end of this whole thing. We've had the new mattress for a week now. We were expecting to need some time to get accustomed to the new feel of a latex bed but we plopped right in and it was a match made in heaven. The zoning has worked out perfectly. The only thing that's taking some time getting used to is the latex pillows.

For me, the amazing part of all this is that I haven't had any back pain in 7 straight days. Prior to this, I would often be out of bed by 3am due to the nagging aches. Also, the tossing and turning has been minimalized. Now, I sit here and wonder why we put up with our old POS for so long in such misery.

I've created another thread to give our experiences with Custom Sleep Design for anyone who wants more info on them: http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/custom-sleep-design/18730-0-1.html

There is, however, one major drawback to this wonderfully comfortable bed.......... the ol' lady is out like a light within seconds of hitting the sheets!

Reply #21 Jul 26, 2011 1:21 PM
3 MONTH UPDATE:

So far, so good. After 3 months, still sleeping without any back pain. Kind of unheard of in this neck of the woods! Took awhile to get used to the pillows for me but the wife ditched hers after one night. Other than that, both the wife and I give a big thumbs up.

Unzipped the cover and eyeballed the latex layers for any sign of depressions and found none. Only minor complaint is that a foot long stretch of stitching on top of the cover has pulled loose. More of a quilting type thing.

..... and that just about does it, don't it?

Recent Posts