Latex Foam Search
Mar 18, 2011 8:33 AM
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ..... Albert Einstein
Did a bit of searching online to determine what kind of mattress would be best suited for a big guy over 350lbs with back issues, sleep apnea and a wife of 130lbs. I decided to go with latex foam and headed for the local Shelton, CT Sleepy’s.

I asked Scot the salesman to show me the latex options and he proceeded to ignore my request and steered me towards the Sleep to Live inner springs. I reminded him that I was interested in latex and he tried to dupe me into believing that the STL had latex in it.

Then he tried to steer me into an adjustable bed and said it would cure my sleep apnea. Hey, pal, I may have been born at night but it wasn’t last night. I headed off to the Dr Breus aisle. After doing the taste test on them, I had him give me some prices. He was very determined to sell me the Sleep to Live and I practically had to beg him for prices on the Dr Breus. I liked the option of being able to split the mattress zones in the STL but I was intent on latex.

Anyone have any luck finding latex with split zones for the wife’s preferences vs mine? Now I’m off to Google to research all of the above a bit futher….

Re: Latex Foam Search
Reply #1 Mar 18, 2011 3:42 PM
Why not try this place....   http://www.customsleepdesign.com/

I think it's located there and the guy used to work for Latex International.  I bought a pillow there and it was very nice latex.  They've had some good reviews on this forum too.

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-design-custom-sleep-design/16344-0-1.html

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/?search=1&string=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.customsleepdesign.com%2F&x=25&y=8

It's worth a shot and it's close.

Reply #2 Mar 18, 2011 7:30 PM
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ..... Albert Einstein
Sall, I wish I had seen your latest post before I wasted some more time at Sleepy’s. A trip to Custom SD is in the cards for the weekend.

Today, I brought the little lady to Sleepy’s to see how she felt about the Dr Breus and the others. We were met by John the salesman who seemed a little more accommodating than the last guy. Not knowing that I had already talked pricing with the other guy, my wife asked John how much wiggle room there was on the Breus. He tried to tell her that there was no possible discount, which was a crock, since Scot had already knocked off $400 the day before, unbeknownst to him.

Then when asked why there was a discrepancy between the delivery fee posted on the showroom wall and the one on the Sleepy’s web site, he concocted some convoluted story about how the particular mattress we were looking at was somehow responsible for it. Hellooo??? It had nothing to do with any brand of mattress, it was about STORE POLICY which didn’t match up! Rather than just admit that he didn’t know why, he adopted a snotty attitude, turned and walked away while muttering something about him being all-knowing and that we were mere mortals.

That’s it. Done with the Shelton Sleepy’s.

Stopped in at another nearby Sleepy’s and asked the guy there if the Dr Brues line was constructed of 100% latex foam. His reply: “Absolutely!” My reply: “You sure it’s not 50% polyurethane?” His reply: “100% latex. I’ll guarantee it in writing.” Full disclosure: I’d already discovered that they’re approximately 50% “soy-based poly-foam” which translates into “polyurethane with 20% soy”. Another strike against this chain.

Then we asked him about pricing. His reply: “I’ve been here for 25 years and I’ve never seen that mattress discounted”. Funny. The Breus line has only been out a very short time, less than a year, I believe. Can anyone verify this?

My final question to him: “Are all Sleepy’s salesman a-holes?”  Down the road we go….. I’m taking up Sall on the Custom Sleep Design recommendation.

Reply #3 Mar 18, 2011 8:48 PM
I will be interested in knowing what your experience is with Custom Sleep Design.   I think they have some interesting ideas on mattresses.
Reply #4 Mar 19, 2011 1:17 PM
Sall, I think we’re onto something here….. I had googled and come across “Custom Sleep Design” awhile back but kinda dismissed them due to a lack of pricing and a somewhat sub-par web presentation. Despite being a bit shell-shocked with all of these other lunatic salesmen, I ventured down there and got the scoop in person.

I gotta tell you, I almost wet my pants when I found that the owner Bob was a down-to-earth, no BS kind of guy to talk to. He’s a former exec for Latex International and seems to know his stuff….not to mention, a far cry from these knuckleheads down the road at Sleazy’s! Heck, Latex It’l supplies the materials for all these national brands and it’s right here in Shelton, across the street from him.

The biggest selling point for me is that he can custom make me a king size of 100% Talalay latex and zone it for my side-sleeping 130lb wife and for a widebody backsleeper like myself. On top of it, he can adjust the cushioning layers at any time during the first 90 days, if we feel it’s too firm or too soft. All of this for under 3k, which is in the ballpark of many of the other sets I had been seeing.

We’re gonna mull it over and make a decision today. More to come…..

Reply #5 Mar 20, 2011 9:57 AM
After much consideration, we’ve decided to go with Custom Sleep Design.  While the price tag of 2.6k for a King is a bit more than we wanted to spend, it was in the ballpark of the Dr Breus and others we checked into. CSD’s price includes split solid wood platforms, heavy duty frame and 100% Talalay mattress, 2 pillows, delivery and removal of the old bed & frame.

As I said earlier, the ability to zone the latex for 2 distinctly different sleepers was key for us. Also, the ability to unzip and remove the layering to suit any possible fine-tuned adjustments was important. We’ve read on this forum where others have had issues with unexpected firmness of their beds and this feature puts those fears to rest.

The design was the result of Bob’s interview with us regarding our sleeping habits and of his observation and physical measurements of us on the demo beds. The result:

His side of the bed (6’-3”, 350 lbs) Backsleeper

Top 2” layer: 19 ild

Middle 3” layer: 28 ild

Bottom 6” layer: 40 ild

Her side of the bed (5’-4”, 130 lbs) Sidesleeper

Top 2” layer: 14 ild by head, 19 ild by toe

Middle 3” layer: 19 ild by head, 24 ild by toe

Bottom 6” layer: 32 ild

As for the foundation, it is twin wood platform bases, 7" deep. They are manufactured by the same company that does his covers. They have a solid plywood or particle board top (maybe 1/2"?) but the top and 4 sides are covered to mimic a box spring that matches the mattress cover. The cover is organic cotton with wool backing and zipper.

Delivery will take about 3 or 4 weeks. I’ll update again as we progress along. Hopefully, someone out there will find this of some help, just as I have found this forum to be of great help in my mattress search.

Edited to clarify: The mattress is blended Talalay (30% natural, 70% synthetic)

This message was modified May 19, 2011 by jd2000
Reply #6 Mar 20, 2011 1:42 PM
jd2000 wrote:

After much consideration, we’ve decided to go with Custom Sleep Design.  While the price tag of 2.5k for a King is a bit more than we wanted to spend, it was in the ballpark of the Dr Breus and others we checked into. CSD’s price includes box springs and 100% Talalay, 2 pillows, delivery and removal of the old bed & frame.

As I said earlier, the ability to zone the latex for 2 distinctly different sleepers was key for us. Also, the ability to unzip and remove the layering to suit any possible fine-tuned adjustments was important. We’ve read on this forum where others have had issues with unexpected firmness of their beds and this feature puts those fears to rest.

The design was the result of Bob’s interview with us regarding our sleeping habits and of his observation and physical measurements of us on the demo beds. The result:

His side of the bed (6’-3”, 350 lbs) Backsleeper

Top 2” layer: 19 ild

Middle 3” layer: 28 ild

Bottom 6” layer: 40 ild

Her side of the bed (5’-4”, 130 lbs) Sidesleeper

Top 2” layer: 14 ild by head, 19 ild by toe

Middle 3” layer: 19 ild by head, 24 ild by toe

Bottom 6” layer: 32 ild

Delivery will take about 3 or 4 weeks. I’ll update again as we progress along. Hopefully, someone out there will find this of some help, just as I have found this forum to be of great help in my mattress search.

Glad to hear you found what you like. Let me know how it works for you.

How sturdy is their foundation? Do you have to assemble it and does it come with a cover?

How much a queen size bed with foundation cost?

How are they holding the latex layers (your wife side) together? The ones with separate ILDS.

Hope to hear from you.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2011 by richardp
Reply #7 Mar 20, 2011 2:34 PM
While it certainly isn't cheap, one thing I've learned about mattresses is that cheap doesn't get you much and sometimes you can spend a lot and getting very little.  The price seems reasonable and, from personal experience on my mattress, I think there is something to the type of zoning that Custom Sleep Design is using.  I've actually tried to copy their zoning with my toppers for my side sleeping and it does seem to work for me.  I think side sleeping really needs this type of zoning in many cases.  I will be looking for your final review once you get it.  If you got it right, the mattress should last a long time and all my Latex International latex is excellent quality.  It should be a good long term investment in sleep.  I hope it works out.
This message was modified Mar 20, 2011 by Sall
Reply #8 Mar 20, 2011 3:10 PM
JD,  I think you will like that set up.  I am  a big guy also and ended up close to what you just ordered after much trial and error.  From the bottom up I have 6 inches 40 ILD, 2 inches 32 ILD, 3 inches 24-28 ILD, then a top layer of 1 inch Sensus memory foam.    I have debated switching the top memory foam layer with 19 ILD latex but so far have not done so.  Mine is all LI Talalay latex also.  Personally, I needed a softer top layer for pressure relief on my hands and arms.  Some of us find a thin layer of memory foam helpful with the latex providing the support..   Good luck and I'm sure you will find the cost justified.   I have almost $2500 into my queen size set with foundation.
Reply #9 Mar 20, 2011 3:18 PM
markbnh1 wrote:

JD,  I think you will like that set up.  I am  a big guy also and ended up close to what you just ordered after much trial and error.  From the bottom up I have 6 inches 40 ILD, 2 inches 32 ILD, 3 inches 24-28 ILD, then a top layer of 1 inch Sensus memory foam.    I have debated switching the top memory foam layer with 19 ILD latex but so far have not done so.  Mine is all LI Talalay latex also.  Personally, I needed a softer top layer for pressure relief on my hands and arms.  Some of us find a thin layer of memory foam helpful with the latex providing the support..   Good luck and I'm sure you will find the cost justified.   I have almost $2500 into my queen size set with foundation.

hey mark, from where did you buy your mattress and foundation? sounds like a decent price for all natural Talalay.

Reply #10 Mar 20, 2011 5:03 PM
RichardP,  I bought my base mattress and foundation from Gardner Mattress, of Salem, MA.   Its a small, locally owned company that builds their own mattresses.   They are very reputable and easy to deal with but don't really customize the latex much.   My 6 Inch base and 2 inch middle layer are enclosed in Gardner's nice cotton and wool cover (sealed).  I found this mattress way TOO firm after already doing my 1 comfort exchange. (Originally had Gardner's "medium latex mattress" which was too soft and bottomed out on me).  Cost was $1999. with a nice sturdy wood and metal foundation.   Then, I added 3 inches of "medium" Talalay latex from FoamSweetFoam for $400.(I don't think they sell toppers any longer)  and 1 inch of Sensus memory foam from Overstock for $65.    So, that's where my total cost of  $2464. comes from.
Reply #11 Mar 20, 2011 8:29 PM
Hey richardp.... We got a split box spring with it. As for the steel frame, I didn't get into too much detail with him other than to say I didn't want the standard frame but rather one that was HD quality since we blew out the one from our last bed (I'm driving the wife nuts with the old one currently being held into position with a hydraulic carjack...hahahaha)

I can't give you any pricing on a queen since we only focused on the king. I made sure that I told him that the lack of pricing on his website was a big turnoff for me early on. Not any prices hanging on the walls either....

I'm also not sure how all the zones are held together but I did tell him that I was concerned about these panels floating around or drifting over time and he assured me that they were attached and it would not be a problem. When we discussed the possible replacement of layers in the bed, he also said that for example, the entire top layer would be replaced, both my side and hers and reconstructed as a whole 76 X 80 unit even though only one side of cushoning may need to be adjusted.

Thanks everyone, for your comments......I'll be back!

Reply #12 Mar 21, 2011 4:05 PM
I guess this thread is too long to read : - )

Hey, care5189 (Caroline)...... are you by any chance the Caroline that works at Custom Sleep Design?

Reply #13 Mar 21, 2011 9:50 PM
Check out Arizona Premium Mattress Company.  Here's a link to the website:  http://www.latexmattresscompany.com/

They sell split core latex mattresses and are very knowledgeable and have the best prices and highest quality.  No, I don't work there - I am just a very satisfied recent customer.  Good luck!

Reply #14 Mar 31, 2011 5:13 PM
Hello,

I am Caroline from Custom Sleep Design, new to this website though so not very good at it! My apologies.

To whoever was calling, our usual hours are 10-6 during the week, 10-5 on Saturdays. I believe we were closed for a few days the week you called due to personal issues. (Sickness and a death in the family - only 2 full-time employees here).

Feel free to call again.

For the record, I won't be posting on this site a lot. Technically, I am a vendor and I would hate to ruin a website that has been perfected by the informed consumer. If anyone has ANY questions about Latex in general or Custom Sleep Design, feel free to send me a private message or call the store.

Thank you.

Reply #15 Apr 22, 2011 12:10 PM
Just a quick note to say that I haven’t forgotten about this thread (thanks to those who asked in a PM). We were hoping to accept delivery of our mattress on or about 4-9-11, as promised, but when the day came and went, we called to find out that the new date was to be on or about 4-22-11 (today). Since my phone still ain’t ringin’, I assumed it still ain’t CSD calling to pinpoint the ETA. So, we zipped over to the showroom, where we were now told that the mattress hasn’t been built yet, no delivery people are available, and the new eta is 4-27-11. How time flies. Three weeks turns into six in the blink of an eye. We’re still hoping for the best from this purchase with CSD, but we’re not happy right now.
Reply #16 Apr 23, 2011 7:34 PM
  Sorry your mattress is taking so long to be delivered.  I actually have one ordered from them as well - I am hoping for the first week or two in May for delivery - so it was a little discouraging to hear of your delivery delay.   After you do recieve it, let me know how you like it.  I also got a King bed from them and I can not wait to get it.  Mine is zoned from head to toe as well as side to side - one side being a little firmer than the other.  If I decide I really like one side better than the other, they will make the entire top layer to that spec for me. 

I too had been down the Sleepys road until I decided to take a ride and check out Custom Sleep Designs.  No pressure, friendly, knowledgable - what more could you ask for?  I am hoping not to be disappointed with the delivery wait since the first part of the buying experience was so wonderful.

Please keep us posted after your mattress arrives!

Reply #17 Apr 23, 2011 8:56 PM
Hey Val,

Like you said, the first half of the buying experience was great after the Sleezy's nightmare. CSD gave us a 3 to 4 week estimate originally. Then it was pushed to 5 weeks. Now it's been moved again to the 6th week. My advice to you would be to call them and ask for a status update. They likely won't call you since my first 2 missed deadlines came and went without any kind of call at all from them.

Hopefully, next Wednesday it'll be here but I'm gonna call again on Monday after 10am to get the latest scoop, as they advised me to do yesterday.

This message was modified Apr 24, 2011 by jd2000
Reply #18 Apr 28, 2011 7:13 AM
The aforementioned king size bed arrived yesterday from Custom Sleep Design. The 3 to 4 week delivery estimate turned into a 5 1/2 week wait. Since the delivery crew was short a man, CSD owner Bob was hauling foam with his new assistant. The only minor glitch was that the 2 pillows were not loaded onto the truck and will be delivered later in the week.

Our prior mattress was a five year old Sealy Posturepedic.  After 2 years, various back pains started to appear and worsened as time went on. Towards the end, sleeping on this POS was like laying in a canoe.

All of that changed last night. Wow. A HUGE difference! It’s like literally sleeping on a cloud. I woke up this morning with NO BACK PAIN for the first time in 3 years. It used to take a bottle of vodka to accomplish that feat!

My wife had been averaging 4 trips to the bathroom throughout the average night, filled with tossing and turning. Last night she stayed sleeping on one side all night, with only one trip to the head.

I’ve heard it said a lot around here that we should give ourselves a good amount of time on our new beds before making a final judgment.  So far, so good. I’ll report back in a week or so with an update.

Reply #19 Apr 28, 2011 9:54 PM
JD - glad to hear you got your bed.  I just got an email from Caroline and my bed should be coming May 8!  I am hoping to have the same experience you had - a wonderful first night's sleep!  I usually have back pain every morning so I would love to wake up pain free!  Let me know how it is going after a week on it!  I am hoping my layers are going to be correct and I won't have to exchange a thing!  I had a temperpedic and I kept the base from that - it has 4 drawers - so I am hoping it will all work out!  I hope they don't forget my pillows either!!

What amazed me about this whole bed buying experience was that for less than the cost of the high price mattresses, you can get a mattress custom designed to your specifications.  Who wouldn't want that?  I also have to say that this forum was wonderful - I never would have thought about buying a latex mattress, let alone get one custom made for me.

Val

Reply #20 May 5, 2011 9:00 AM
Well, I figured that I should post one more time to put a period at the end of this whole thing. We've had the new mattress for a week now. We were expecting to need some time to get accustomed to the new feel of a latex bed but we plopped right in and it was a match made in heaven. The zoning has worked out perfectly. The only thing that's taking some time getting used to is the latex pillows.

For me, the amazing part of all this is that I haven't had any back pain in 7 straight days. Prior to this, I would often be out of bed by 3am due to the nagging aches. Also, the tossing and turning has been minimalized. Now, I sit here and wonder why we put up with our old POS for so long in such misery.

I've created another thread to give our experiences with Custom Sleep Design for anyone who wants more info on them: http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/custom-sleep-design/18730-0-1.html

There is, however, one major drawback to this wonderfully comfortable bed.......... the ol' lady is out like a light within seconds of hitting the sheets!

Reply #21 Jul 26, 2011 1:21 PM
3 MONTH UPDATE:

So far, so good. After 3 months, still sleeping without any back pain. Kind of unheard of in this neck of the woods! Took awhile to get used to the pillows for me but the wife ditched hers after one night. Other than that, both the wife and I give a big thumbs up.

Unzipped the cover and eyeballed the latex layers for any sign of depressions and found none. Only minor complaint is that a foot long stretch of stitching on top of the cover has pulled loose. More of a quilting type thing.

..... and that just about does it, don't it?

Recent Posts