Latex Foam Search
Mar 18, 2011 8:33 AM
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ..... Albert Einstein
Did a bit of searching online to determine what kind of mattress would be best suited for a big guy over 350lbs with back issues, sleep apnea and a wife of 130lbs. I decided to go with latex foam and headed for the local Shelton, CT Sleepy’s.

I asked Scot the salesman to show me the latex options and he proceeded to ignore my request and steered me towards the Sleep to Live inner springs. I reminded him that I was interested in latex and he tried to dupe me into believing that the STL had latex in it.

Then he tried to steer me into an adjustable bed and said it would cure my sleep apnea. Hey, pal, I may have been born at night but it wasn’t last night. I headed off to the Dr Breus aisle. After doing the taste test on them, I had him give me some prices. He was very determined to sell me the Sleep to Live and I practically had to beg him for prices on the Dr Breus. I liked the option of being able to split the mattress zones in the STL but I was intent on latex.

Anyone have any luck finding latex with split zones for the wife’s preferences vs mine? Now I’m off to Google to research all of the above a bit futher….

Re: Latex Foam Search
Reply #7 Mar 20, 2011 2:34 PM
While it certainly isn't cheap, one thing I've learned about mattresses is that cheap doesn't get you much and sometimes you can spend a lot and getting very little.  The price seems reasonable and, from personal experience on my mattress, I think there is something to the type of zoning that Custom Sleep Design is using.  I've actually tried to copy their zoning with my toppers for my side sleeping and it does seem to work for me.  I think side sleeping really needs this type of zoning in many cases.  I will be looking for your final review once you get it.  If you got it right, the mattress should last a long time and all my Latex International latex is excellent quality.  It should be a good long term investment in sleep.  I hope it works out.
This message was modified Mar 20, 2011 by Sall
Reply #8 Mar 20, 2011 3:10 PM
JD,  I think you will like that set up.  I am  a big guy also and ended up close to what you just ordered after much trial and error.  From the bottom up I have 6 inches 40 ILD, 2 inches 32 ILD, 3 inches 24-28 ILD, then a top layer of 1 inch Sensus memory foam.    I have debated switching the top memory foam layer with 19 ILD latex but so far have not done so.  Mine is all LI Talalay latex also.  Personally, I needed a softer top layer for pressure relief on my hands and arms.  Some of us find a thin layer of memory foam helpful with the latex providing the support..   Good luck and I'm sure you will find the cost justified.   I have almost $2500 into my queen size set with foundation.
Reply #9 Mar 20, 2011 3:18 PM
markbnh1 wrote:

JD,  I think you will like that set up.  I am  a big guy also and ended up close to what you just ordered after much trial and error.  From the bottom up I have 6 inches 40 ILD, 2 inches 32 ILD, 3 inches 24-28 ILD, then a top layer of 1 inch Sensus memory foam.    I have debated switching the top memory foam layer with 19 ILD latex but so far have not done so.  Mine is all LI Talalay latex also.  Personally, I needed a softer top layer for pressure relief on my hands and arms.  Some of us find a thin layer of memory foam helpful with the latex providing the support..   Good luck and I'm sure you will find the cost justified.   I have almost $2500 into my queen size set with foundation.

hey mark, from where did you buy your mattress and foundation? sounds like a decent price for all natural Talalay.

Reply #10 Mar 20, 2011 5:03 PM
RichardP,  I bought my base mattress and foundation from Gardner Mattress, of Salem, MA.   Its a small, locally owned company that builds their own mattresses.   They are very reputable and easy to deal with but don't really customize the latex much.   My 6 Inch base and 2 inch middle layer are enclosed in Gardner's nice cotton and wool cover (sealed).  I found this mattress way TOO firm after already doing my 1 comfort exchange. (Originally had Gardner's "medium latex mattress" which was too soft and bottomed out on me).  Cost was $1999. with a nice sturdy wood and metal foundation.   Then, I added 3 inches of "medium" Talalay latex from FoamSweetFoam for $400.(I don't think they sell toppers any longer)  and 1 inch of Sensus memory foam from Overstock for $65.    So, that's where my total cost of  $2464. comes from.
Reply #11 Mar 20, 2011 8:29 PM
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ..... Albert Einstein
Hey richardp.... We got a split box spring with it. As for the steel frame, I didn't get into too much detail with him other than to say I didn't want the standard frame but rather one that was HD quality since we blew out the one from our last bed (I'm driving the wife nuts with the old one currently being held into position with a hydraulic carjack...hahahaha)

I can't give you any pricing on a queen since we only focused on the king. I made sure that I told him that the lack of pricing on his website was a big turnoff for me early on. Not any prices hanging on the walls either....

I'm also not sure how all the zones are held together but I did tell him that I was concerned about these panels floating around or drifting over time and he assured me that they were attached and it would not be a problem. When we discussed the possible replacement of layers in the bed, he also said that for example, the entire top layer would be replaced, both my side and hers and reconstructed as a whole 76 X 80 unit even though only one side of cushoning may need to be adjusted.

Thanks everyone, for your comments......I'll be back!

Reply #12 Mar 21, 2011 4:05 PM
I guess this thread is too long to read : - )

Hey, care5189 (Caroline)...... are you by any chance the Caroline that works at Custom Sleep Design?

Reply #13 Mar 21, 2011 9:50 PM
Check out Arizona Premium Mattress Company.  Here's a link to the website:  http://www.latexmattresscompany.com/

They sell split core latex mattresses and are very knowledgeable and have the best prices and highest quality.  No, I don't work there - I am just a very satisfied recent customer.  Good luck!

Reply #14 Mar 31, 2011 5:13 PM
Hello,

I am Caroline from Custom Sleep Design, new to this website though so not very good at it! My apologies.

To whoever was calling, our usual hours are 10-6 during the week, 10-5 on Saturdays. I believe we were closed for a few days the week you called due to personal issues. (Sickness and a death in the family - only 2 full-time employees here).

Feel free to call again.

For the record, I won't be posting on this site a lot. Technically, I am a vendor and I would hate to ruin a website that has been perfected by the informed consumer. If anyone has ANY questions about Latex in general or Custom Sleep Design, feel free to send me a private message or call the store.

Thank you.

Reply #15 Apr 22, 2011 12:10 PM
Just a quick note to say that I haven’t forgotten about this thread (thanks to those who asked in a PM). We were hoping to accept delivery of our mattress on or about 4-9-11, as promised, but when the day came and went, we called to find out that the new date was to be on or about 4-22-11 (today). Since my phone still ain’t ringin’, I assumed it still ain’t CSD calling to pinpoint the ETA. So, we zipped over to the showroom, where we were now told that the mattress hasn’t been built yet, no delivery people are available, and the new eta is 4-27-11. How time flies. Three weeks turns into six in the blink of an eye. We’re still hoping for the best from this purchase with CSD, but we’re not happy right now.
Reply #16 Apr 23, 2011 7:34 PM
  Sorry your mattress is taking so long to be delivered.  I actually have one ordered from them as well - I am hoping for the first week or two in May for delivery - so it was a little discouraging to hear of your delivery delay.   After you do recieve it, let me know how you like it.  I also got a King bed from them and I can not wait to get it.  Mine is zoned from head to toe as well as side to side - one side being a little firmer than the other.  If I decide I really like one side better than the other, they will make the entire top layer to that spec for me. 

I too had been down the Sleepys road until I decided to take a ride and check out Custom Sleep Designs.  No pressure, friendly, knowledgable - what more could you ask for?  I am hoping not to be disappointed with the delivery wait since the first part of the buying experience was so wonderful.

Please keep us posted after your mattress arrives!

Recent Posts