Flobeds vs. Sleep EZ vs Others: Why the difference in price?
Apr 1, 2010 12:14 AM
Hi,

I've been lurking here for some time and I am grateful this community has been able to provide such insightful information relating to such an important and, lets face it, expensive purchase.

I recently had a chance to lay on a Savvy Rest dunlop mattress recently and the wife and I were were more than pleased. As I did my online research, a number of seemingly reputable companies were repeatedly mentioned: FloBeds, Sleep EZ, Savvy Rest, FoamSweetFoam, Rocky Mountain Mattress, Arizona Mattress, etc. By far, FloBeds and Sleep EZ are mentioned more so than any of the others. I've pretty much narrowed my options down to a purchase from either FloBeds or Sleep EZ (with Savvy Rest coming in at a close third). However, as I compare prices I am utterly astonished at the difference in price between comparable mattresses made by the FloBed Posture Deluxe and a comparable Sleep EZ Model, the 10,000. There is about a $650 difference in price. However, FloBeds' frequent promotions can often cut that difference down to about a $450 difference in price. Of course, FloBed mattresses also come with a 2" convoluted topper and Sleep EZ does not. It should also be noted that Sleep EZ does not charge shipping whereas FloBeds charges about $119 to ship the package to the East Coast. Thus, we have a potential difference in price of about $570-$770, keeping in mind, again, that FloBeds includes the convoluted topper. It should be noted that the foregoing is for the purchase of a blended Talalay latex mattress.

Thusly, I come to the crux of my question. Is FloBeds' customer service and/or product so superior to Sleep EZ to justify their price premium? It almost seems as if the Sleep EZ price, comparatively speaking, is too good to be true. I spoke with Dewey from FloBeds, and he was nothing short of courteous, informative and patient. I also spoke with Sean (Shawn?) from Sleep EZ, and while not as gregarious as Dewey, was still polite and informed. And despite Sleep EZ's "official" exchange policy described on their web site (one time only), many members of this forum have vouched for Sleep EZ, stating that Sleep EZ's exchange program is every bit as liberal/generous as FloBeds' policy. Any thoughts, comments, etc. would be greatly posted. 

Once I make my purchase, I promise to detail both my shopping experience and provide short and long-term reviews of my purchase. Thanks in advance.

Edit: As I'm I was reviewing the two web sites, I wished to amend my post to include the following: FloBeds Warranty: 20 years, prorated after 10 years; Sleep EZ: 15 years. Also, it should be noted that FloBeds mattress casing zips completely off while the Sleep EZ does not.

This message was modified Apr 1, 2010 by Jerseydevil
Re: Flobeds vs. Sleep EZ vs Others: Why the difference in price?
Reply #10 Apr 3, 2010 12:05 AM
I love my FloBed which took many exchanges for me beyond my 90 day period that Dave allowed due to my car accident that made me need the bed even firmer.  By watching sales, I was able to get three mark-downs in the 90 days that ends up making the bed slightly less than the cost of SleepEZ's three layer bed with the pine slat bed.  I bought my bed in May 2007 and the original cover was not as nice as the new very comfortable cover Dave switched to that year.  I used to wake up with such a stuffed nose but my allergies are so much less with my new bed and will be even less once I get rid of the wall-to-wall almost 21 year old carpet in my bedroom.  I have no allergies to the bed and when I have just steamed cleaned my carpets, I sleep without allergies. But I can't steam clean my carpets each month. 

When I needed headboard brackets since I was having my Wesley Allen headboard delivered in 2007, Dewey had it sent overnight with no shipping charge just so the store that was delivering my bedroom furniture would be able to install the headboard for me.  Dave and Dewey seem to love their jobs and enjoy trying to have each one of their customers satisfied and sleeping well from my experience. I am glad I went with FloBeds that was highly recommended by two of my clients when I needed a new bed that I was not allergic to since I had a problem with a new conventional bed from a store and had to return it. 

Reply #11 Apr 3, 2010 8:18 AM
Great info. I would like to hear what firmness level you finally settled on. It seems like most people end up going firmer but what say all of you?

Does Flobeds discount returned items when they are put back for resale?

Reply #12 Apr 3, 2010 10:00 AM
Luke, I should have started out firmer since I always liked a very firm bed.  But the firmness adviser and Dave both felt due to my size and weight, that a softer configuration was what I needed so I listened to the experts.  Well they were wrong and I ended up with a Brylane 1" topper over E-Firm over X-Firm over Super Firm for both of my sides but the side I usually don't sleep on has the Super Firm in the middle since the X-Firm's ILD rating is only a 35 while my side has a higher X-Firm rating on top (I would have to open the bed or look at prior posts to find the number but it was I think a 37 ILD or a 39 ILD). by the way I am not quite 5 feet an dnow about 106 lbs (gained weight from my busy season of being at my desk too much).

You are sold only all new latex cores but the exchanges have a cleaning process (mentioned in the other post about this) and exchanges of latex cores barely used but returned due to the firmness exchange.  The latex cores sit under the topper under the zippered cover and are never lied on directly and most people do not keep them very long when they are making a decision if the bed is too firm or too soft. 

Reply #13 Apr 9, 2010 12:07 AM
luke wrote:

Great info. I would like to hear what firmness level you finally settled on. It seems like most people end up going firmer but what say all of you?

Does Flobeds discount returned items when they are put back for resale?

Yes, we ended up with firmer layers than recommended by the FloBeds Firmness Advisor and FloBeds themselves.  Funny thing is, after a bunch of tweaking, I ended up with exactly what I always wanted...which was a very firm mattress with a soft top layer (VZone plus convoluted).  My husband's mattress was right on the mark, however. Telling you what we got really doesn't help you unless you are similar in size/height/weight, etc. and have the same issues though.  My best advice is to go with your instincts and if in doubt, go firmer rather than less firm.  I can say that we both have XF bottom layers and I think it makes a good foundation for whatever you build on top of it, whether you like firm or soft unless you like a really soft mattress.   When we first started we had the XF on top (my husband's doing!)  ...and that was wobbly.  Good luck!

Reply #14 Apr 9, 2010 1:22 PM
KimberlyH wrote:

I think he decided on either a Flobeds or a Sleepez, not the SaavyRest.

Return policies, as I understand them:

1) Saavy Rest - no returns

2) Sleepez - 60 day comfort guarantee, returns accepted with a 15% restocking fee, less shipping and handling.  Layer exchanges:  Website says one exchange, on the phone they say they will do more than one.

3) Flobeds - 90 day comforta guarantee, returns accepted without a restocking fee, less shipping and handleing.  Layer exchanges: unlimited exchanges within 90 days. 

I dont know where you got your information, but I got mine here, which shows a 90 day return, no restocking fee, and a 90 day comfort gurantee.  This is right from their website, and I just ordered a 13000 series last night.

http://www.sleepez.com/warranty.htm

Reply #15 Apr 9, 2010 1:26 PM
Jerseydevil wrote:

Hi,

Edit: As I'm I was reviewing the two web sites, I wished to amend my post to include the following: FloBeds Warranty: 20 years, prorated after 10 years; Sleep EZ: 15 years. Also, it should be noted that FloBeds mattress casing zips completely off while the Sleep EZ does not.

The Sleep EZ warranty is 20 years, 10 non prorated and 10 prorated.  Are you all reading from a different website than me?  And the Sleep  EZ cover does zip off completely.  It comes that way in the package. 

This message was modified Apr 9, 2010 by PLamarine
Reply #16 Apr 9, 2010 2:23 PM
PLamarine wrote:

The Sleep EZ warranty is 20 years, 10 non prorated and 10 prorated.  Are you all reading from a different website than me?  And the Sleep  EZ cover does zip off completely.  It comes that way in the package. 

PLamarine,

A lot of the postings made about the differences may be based on prior information as not everyone is checking the SleepEZ site regularly.  I've noticed that as more and more comparisons/comments between the two are posted here on the forum, SleepEZ has changed their policy to stay competitive with FloBeds.  However, if you check their return policy today on their site, you will see that they will charge you for exchanging second and subsequent layers.  Not a restocking fee, but full payment for those layers.  FloBeds does not charge at all for any layer exchanges.  And if you read the blogs through, you will have seen that a lot of people here have spent a lot of time exchanging their layers and purchasing new ones to get that "perfect" bed. So, that difference between the two still remains the same today and is why a lot of people here are big FloBeds fans.

This message was modified Apr 9, 2010 by TJ12
Reply #17 Apr 10, 2010 12:44 AM
Saavy Rest's return policy (i.e. no returns, only exchanges) was deal-breaker for me too even though I thought I wanted part Dunlop for my mattress.  I went with FloBeds (though they don't offer Dunlop and I wish they did) and, as many others have attested to, and I've said in my posts quite some time ago (haven't checked this forum for quite awhile), their service is truly excellent--above and beyond "the call of duty" for sure.

I've had my bed for 9-10 months and I'm still happy with it. I did have to go quite a bit firmer than their website "firmness adviser" recommended, and even firmer than they originally recommended. But my husband's side worked right away with what they recommended (and maybe even what the "firmness adviser" said, but I'm not remembering).  It seems like from posts on this forum that, even if you're lightweight and like a soft bed, the really soft talalay set-ups end up not working for many. Maybe cause talalay is so springy.

All the specs of what I got and lots of other related miscellaneous info is in my previous posts, so if interested, you can do a search under my name.

Good luck!

Reply #18 Apr 10, 2010 10:57 AM
TJ12 wrote:

PLamarine,

A lot of the postings made about the differences may be based on prior information as not everyone is checking the SleepEZ site regularly.  I've noticed that as more and more comparisons/comments between the two are posted here on the forum, SleepEZ has changed their policy to stay competitive with FloBeds.  However, if you check their return policy today on their site, you will see that they will charge you for exchanging second and subsequent layers.  Not a restocking fee, but full payment for those layers.  FloBeds does not charge at all for any layer exchanges.  And if you read the blogs through, you will have seen that a lot of people here have spent a lot of time exchanging their layers and purchasing new ones to get that "perfect" bed. So, that difference between the two still remains the same today and is why a lot of people here are big FloBeds fans.

I see.  But I guess it's good to know that their "unofficial" policy is to replace subsequent layers just for the shipping cost.

Reply #19 Apr 10, 2010 2:57 PM
linda wrote:

I went with FloBeds (though they don't offer Dunlop and I wish they did)

This has been my own quandry. After having seen some Dunlop, I think I prefer it over the Talalay. I'll probably end up going with a DIY combination from different sources because of that.

Recent Posts