Flobeds vs. Sleep EZ vs Others: Why the difference in price?
Apr 1, 2010 12:14 AM
Hi,

I've been lurking here for some time and I am grateful this community has been able to provide such insightful information relating to such an important and, lets face it, expensive purchase.

I recently had a chance to lay on a Savvy Rest dunlop mattress recently and the wife and I were were more than pleased. As I did my online research, a number of seemingly reputable companies were repeatedly mentioned: FloBeds, Sleep EZ, Savvy Rest, FoamSweetFoam, Rocky Mountain Mattress, Arizona Mattress, etc. By far, FloBeds and Sleep EZ are mentioned more so than any of the others. I've pretty much narrowed my options down to a purchase from either FloBeds or Sleep EZ (with Savvy Rest coming in at a close third). However, as I compare prices I am utterly astonished at the difference in price between comparable mattresses made by the FloBed Posture Deluxe and a comparable Sleep EZ Model, the 10,000. There is about a $650 difference in price. However, FloBeds' frequent promotions can often cut that difference down to about a $450 difference in price. Of course, FloBed mattresses also come with a 2" convoluted topper and Sleep EZ does not. It should also be noted that Sleep EZ does not charge shipping whereas FloBeds charges about $119 to ship the package to the East Coast. Thus, we have a potential difference in price of about $570-$770, keeping in mind, again, that FloBeds includes the convoluted topper. It should be noted that the foregoing is for the purchase of a blended Talalay latex mattress.

Thusly, I come to the crux of my question. Is FloBeds' customer service and/or product so superior to Sleep EZ to justify their price premium? It almost seems as if the Sleep EZ price, comparatively speaking, is too good to be true. I spoke with Dewey from FloBeds, and he was nothing short of courteous, informative and patient. I also spoke with Sean (Shawn?) from Sleep EZ, and while not as gregarious as Dewey, was still polite and informed. And despite Sleep EZ's "official" exchange policy described on their web site (one time only), many members of this forum have vouched for Sleep EZ, stating that Sleep EZ's exchange program is every bit as liberal/generous as FloBeds' policy. Any thoughts, comments, etc. would be greatly posted. 

Once I make my purchase, I promise to detail both my shopping experience and provide short and long-term reviews of my purchase. Thanks in advance.

Edit: As I'm I was reviewing the two web sites, I wished to amend my post to include the following: FloBeds Warranty: 20 years, prorated after 10 years; Sleep EZ: 15 years. Also, it should be noted that FloBeds mattress casing zips completely off while the Sleep EZ does not.

This message was modified Apr 1, 2010 by Jerseydevil
Re: Flobeds vs. Sleep EZ vs Others: Why the difference in price?
Reply #1 Apr 1, 2010 2:06 AM
I see the difference in price.  Here's why I chose Flobeds over Sleepez:

1) I like the cover of the Flobed vs the Sleepez.  The Flobed cover is soft knit cotton with wool batting, and the Sleepez is a cotton/rayon and wool - I don't like the look of it on the webiste.  It looks shiny and satiny like traditional mattress covers.

2) no matter what people *say* about what the Sleepez guys say on the phone about exchanges, I always go by what is in writing, and the written exchange policy on the Flobeds site is much more generous than what is stated in writing on the Sleepez site.  Sleepez could probably increase their business if they were to say on the website what they are telling people on the phone.

3) The Sleepez return policy is less generous than Flobeds.  Sleepez gives a 60 day return policy, less a 15% restocking fee and less shipping and handling.  Flobeds gives a full 90 trial period during which you can exchange unlimited layers or return the entire bed for a refund. No restocking fee.

4) Flobeds sources their latex from LI.  Sleepez sources their latex from several places, LI and others.  After doing my research, I knew I wanted my latex to be from LI, I trusted it as a quality brand of latex.

I don't know whether any of these issues is significant in and of themselves, but taken together, that's why I spent the extra money on the Flobed.  It's difficult to judge when making an internet purchase what is going to work, and the extra assurances built into the Flobed sales model tipped me over to Flobeds.

I don't think I've heard anyone say anything negative about Sleepez though - if you feel comfortable with your purchase of a latex mattress, they might be a great choice for you.

Reply #2 Apr 1, 2010 2:24 AM
Kimberly, doesn't Flobeds charge you for shipping both ways if you return it though?  Just wondering.

Isn't Savy Rest expensive too?  They don't take returns at all, just exchanges.  I think you have to pay shipping too.

Reply #3 Apr 1, 2010 4:32 AM
Flobeds will make it work.  If it can't be made to work for you, you can send it back.  You won't be stuck with a less than satisfactory mattress.  For those of us who have been though a few bad mattresses, that's worth paying for.  I have no reason to believe that the Flobeds mattress is superior to sleepEZ and if I'd known exactly what I wanted I'm sure I could have saved some money, but the other companies were a bigger risk for a problematic person like me.

We are having a tough time getting our mattress just right and without the generous exchange policy we'd be in trouble.  Dave even made a customized Vzone for my tricky back that put the firmest section in exactly the "wrong" place, and that seems to be doing the trick.  We're not at the end of the trial period yet and my husband still isn't satisfied with his side, but we certainly did make the choice that was right for us.

Linda

Reply #4 Apr 1, 2010 3:43 PM
Jerseydevil, tell me what you think of Savyrest.  Some people here (do a search) have bought from them and liked them.  Did you understand where the Dunlop originates?  From India and coco latex or something?  I understand you can exchange Dunlop to the Talalay if you are not happy, but not refunds.
Reply #5 Apr 1, 2010 5:00 PM
I think he decided on either a Flobeds or a Sleepez, not the SaavyRest.

Return policies, as I understand them:

1) Saavy Rest - no returns

2) Sleepez - 60 day comfort guarantee, returns accepted with a 15% restocking fee, less shipping and handling.  Layer exchanges:  Website says one exchange, on the phone they say they will do more than one.

3) Flobeds - 90 day comforta guarantee, returns accepted without a restocking fee, less shipping and handleing.  Layer exchanges: unlimited exchanges within 90 days. 

Reply #6 Apr 1, 2010 7:11 PM
As a person who could not make a Flobeds work for me and had to return it (no fault of theirs, I just don't like the feel of an all-foam bed, I found out), to me it's like this:

Flobeds is best for people who have a hard time finding just the right combination of foam, and maybe also for those - like my wife and I - who may find they just don't like the feel of an all-foam bed without springs. So with flobeds, you return it, you get most of your money back, and that's that.

With SleepEZ you'd have to pay - if I am not mistaken - the shipping and handling back to them AND a 15% restocking fee, so that's pretty steep.

And - at least in writing - you get less "adjustments", less layer exchanges to try to make it work before you give up.

So, as I see it, if you are SURE you want a latex mattress and you are SURE you can make it work with 1 or 2 exchanges of layers, then okay, save some bucks and go with SleepEZ. But if you've never slept on latex before, and especially if you have sleep issues or mattress issues, then probably flobeds is what I would recommend.

Both are good companies who make good mattresses, so it's really about what you get for the money and if you need those exchanges and return privileges or not.

I was impressed with Flobeds because after we tried a few exchanges and slept on the mattress nearly 90 days, they gave us NO grief about returning it for a refund.

I was impressed with SleepEZ because I ordered a couple latex layers from them and someone in the warehouse (I assume) sent me some latex that was in bad shape and shouldn't have been shipped. So as soon as I complained about it (with photos) Sean called me himself and apologized and made me a more-than-fair adjustment to the deal.

Reply #7 Apr 2, 2010 3:53 AM
Leo3 wrote:

Jerseydevil, tell me what you think of Savyrest.  Some people here (do a search) have bought from them and liked them.  Did you understand where the Dunlop originates?  From India and coco latex or something?  I understand you can exchange Dunlop to the Talalay if you are not happy, but not refunds.

Leo,

My wife and I were fortunate enough to find a shop that sold Savvy Rest mattresses here in Jersey. We laid on the Organic Serenity Queen size mattress for about 15 minutes. It had a removable topper (available at an extra cost) which we did not like at all. So we removed the topper and tried the mattress with three Dunlop layers in the casing. We were pretty pleased with how the Dunlop felt. I'm about 210 pounds and my wife is about 125; we both liked it configured with the bottom and middle layers at Firm and the top layer as a Medium. (The shop owner was gracious, too). Such a set-up costs 2k and includes shipping. Unfortunately, 7% sales tax in Jersey tacks on another $140. The case itself is composed of organic cotton and organic wool and it is clearly a quality piece. The top of the case zips off completely and uses a heavy duty zipper

They do not offer a refund. You can exchange the pieces as many times as you'd like in a 90 day period. Unfortunately, they provide the shipping labels back and forth but round trip shipping for a queen size layer is a whopping $170 (!). Overall, we were very pleased with the feel of the mattress. However, I'm aware the comfort could change drastically after sleeping on the mattress for a prolong period of time. This is clearly a quality product but their exchange policy was a deal breaker.

Reply #8 Apr 2, 2010 10:16 AM
A note on shipping costs for layer exchanges:  I had one paid exchange on my Flobed.  What happened was I ordered F/XF/XF for both sides of the bed.  I decided my side was too soft, and called Flobeds to exchange a F layer for an XF layer.  Flobeds immediately shipped out the new layer and charged me for the layer.  With the new layer they included a shipping label for the layer I was going to return.  So when I got the new layer, I was able to take the return layer off my bed, pack it up, affix the label, and put the new layer on all at once.  The return shipping charge was $20-30, I don't remember exactly, but it was nowhere near $170.  When they received the return layer, they credited me the amount they charged for the new layer.

Reply #9 Apr 2, 2010 9:31 PM
Here's one more although slight difference....the FloBeds posture deluxe (blended) is 11 1/4" high and the SleepEZ 10000 is 10". So there is that extra inch or so of extra latex you are also getting.

I would also like to add...(and I haven't had a chance to post my final reviews of my FloBeds purchase as I have been slow at making the changes I needed (and busy at work!) but have been busy tweaking my mattress finally for the past few weeks and will provide that input shortly) ....but there just aren't enough exemplary words that I can say about the service I received from Dave at FloBeds.  I have made several exchanges, and without putting him on the hook here wink, all I will say is that Dave has been more than generous with shipping charges, requirements, deadlines, etc. I got caught up in some personal matters and was behind on working on my mattress but worried about the approaching deadline and Dave has repeatedly assured me that I did not need to worry and I believe him.  I am in sales myself and I have NOT seen this kind of customer service in many many years if ever at all.  I don't even think my own company (the one I work for, not one that I own! LOL) provides it....so I personally, believe that the extra money spent for piece of mind, the extra time for trial, the lack of restocking fees, etc. more than pays for itself.

Also, I agree with Kimberly and Inkholder below...the mattress cover fabric is beautiful and luxurious and Dave also made me a custom VZone (which is why it has taken be longer to figure things out) and I have to say (Ok, here's my quick review!), I do believe I got it right at last and I am just LOVING my Flobed!

By the way, I don't know how SleepEZ does this..but on the FloBeds site you create an account online and can always check the status of your zones and/or orders.  Also, immediately after placing an order or asking for a zone change, you get an email confirmation of your order and another one with the UPS tracking information the day it is shipped.  Every time...like clockwork!  You never have to call and check status. But if you forgot some detail, you can check on line for the information.

Good luck!

This message was modified Apr 2, 2010 by TJ12
Reply #10 Apr 3, 2010 12:05 AM
I love my FloBed which took many exchanges for me beyond my 90 day period that Dave allowed due to my car accident that made me need the bed even firmer.  By watching sales, I was able to get three mark-downs in the 90 days that ends up making the bed slightly less than the cost of SleepEZ's three layer bed with the pine slat bed.  I bought my bed in May 2007 and the original cover was not as nice as the new very comfortable cover Dave switched to that year.  I used to wake up with such a stuffed nose but my allergies are so much less with my new bed and will be even less once I get rid of the wall-to-wall almost 21 year old carpet in my bedroom.  I have no allergies to the bed and when I have just steamed cleaned my carpets, I sleep without allergies. But I can't steam clean my carpets each month. 

When I needed headboard brackets since I was having my Wesley Allen headboard delivered in 2007, Dewey had it sent overnight with no shipping charge just so the store that was delivering my bedroom furniture would be able to install the headboard for me.  Dave and Dewey seem to love their jobs and enjoy trying to have each one of their customers satisfied and sleeping well from my experience. I am glad I went with FloBeds that was highly recommended by two of my clients when I needed a new bed that I was not allergic to since I had a problem with a new conventional bed from a store and had to return it. 

Recent Posts