First time poster - probably the usual questions.....
Apr 6, 2010 9:43 PM
Hello all,

I recently found this site while search for mattress reviews, to try and make some sort of educated purchase for a new bed, which I did not realize would be such a daunting task!  I appreciate anyone's time to reply.

Currently my wife and I are sleeping on a Queen mattress that I bought some 12 years ago when I left college for my first job.  I never realized how bad it had gotten until we both started sleeping on it, since I would always just sleep in the middle.  Nowadays, she'll migrate during the night to the middle, and I wake up sore and tired from my body fighting from rolling towards the middle.... so, time for a serious upgrade!

We both are back/side sleepers, and I tend to prefer a firm mattress.  As I read reviews on everything from the $500 sets to $1500, it seems everybody hates their bed! In my opinion a $1500 bed should do everything plus make you a cup of coffee in the morning! lol......I understand the basics of materials, but it seems everybody says they have to cut it and replace the materials... Is there nothing out there that would make a person happy with a stock mattress?  suggestions/recommendations please.

It's not that I'm against slicing it open and doing the work, I tend to enjoy customizing things, and would have no problem doing so, but I guess I'm looking for recommendations of matress sets to start looking at so that I have a solid foundation of a quality product that last, and when the time comes, can do the modifcations when needed.

Again thanks for your time, this first-time poster appreciates everyone's feedback and advice.

Re: First time poster - probably the usual questions.....
Reply #2 Apr 8, 2010 3:49 AM
Suggest you look at some of the highlighted threads at the top if you haven't, and the thread electracat mentioned which I think should be still here on the first page, or if not, the 2nd.

Basically it seems you have to pay upwards of $2500 to get a well built bed these days, from a private or smaller company, not an S Co.

But even then some have tried them and not liked them, and many of those better beds do not offer sleep trials or refunds so that is also a factor. If I was a millionaire I'd have tried most of them by now, no doubt... and maybe found a great one!

Meanwhile, until my ship comes in, I think buying a good set of springs and then trying to make it work with toppers is a good start; but if it doesn't work,  then doing mattress surgery, is the best option. Your springs COULD still be good and this would give you a chance to open it up and see, and then if they're good, just buy some latex for the top 2-4" of foam (to replace the current crapped out crappy foam).

If you just wanna buy a half-way decent mattress maybe get a high end Sealy or Stearns and Foster. Read Budgy's ideas about what makes a good mattress, I think he's on to something, and he did mention several that seem to be made well in that aforementioned thread.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Thanks
Reply #3 Apr 11, 2010 7:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback, about the only decent place to look in my area is a Denver Mattress, so I stopped there to check some out, the latex beds were very interesting (never saw one before, lol) didn't get much time to really spend with the beds but more reading is definitely in my future before I plunk down that much coin. 

I appreciate the replies, hopefully I can add a good ending to this story later on  :)

Current Bed....
Reply #4 Apr 11, 2010 6:28 PM
Just for S&Gs I thought I'd post my current bed info... I can't even find it on the internet lol....

Factory Direct Grand Duke II Royal Comfort Collection, Super Premium Chiro Super Firm. (wow what a title!)

I was trying to find out the specs, and if it'd be even worth trying to do surgery on and replace the foam? your thoughts?

This message was modified Apr 11, 2010 by phendyr
Re: Current Bed....
Reply #5 Apr 12, 2010 3:27 AM
phendyr wrote:

Just for S&Gs I thought I'd post my current bed info... I can't even find it on the internet lol....

Factory Direct Grand Duke II Royal Comfort Collection, Super Premium Chiro Super Firm. (wow what a title!)

I was trying to find out the specs, and if it'd be even worth trying to do surgery on and replace the foam? your thoughts?

Most mattresses use standard springs of one sort or another. A company called Leggett and Platt make like 80-90% (?) of all mattress springs.

Yes, it is definitely worth opening up your mattress to see how the springs are. If they are not dipping in the middle (you can tell just by looking once you get all the old foam off the top of them), then you can certainly just add a couple layers of latex (2-4" usually - I recommend using two x 1" or 1.5" layers of various ILD's of firmness) to replace the old cheap poly foam.

If you get it open and see that the springs are shot then you just put the old foam back in there, maybe take off the top layer or so which is probably the most useless) and go back to sleeping on it (just close it back up as best you can) until you get a new mattress.

Then you can either buy a cheap Ultra Firm something-or-other and add a latex topper or two, or you can buy or build a latex or HR foam mattress.

Reply #6 Apr 12, 2010 1:08 PM
Less and less are being made by Leggett now that manufacturers can also get them from China.  I honestly have no clue of the breakdown nowadays, but more and more product is getting shipped in from overseas.
prepping for surgery
Reply #7 Apr 12, 2010 1:46 PM
after reading some more I've decided I'm going to look into surgery first on our existing mattress.  going to make the cut tonight after work, hopefully hte springs are good enough to give it a try.  Just so I understand what I've read correctly, those who've done the surgery, you simply remove all the padding and replace with various layers of latex? for someone looking to keep a firm feel to it, 2 layers of 1" firm latex with a 1" soft layer on top?  Does anybody divide it into 'zones' for head, shoulders, back, hips, legs?  I thought I read somewhere where a person had done this, but can't find it, I imagine that's a bit more expensive to purchase all the types and cut down to what you need. I will most likely stick rebuilding a firm bed with this first try

any feedback on the process I'd appreciate it..... was looking at rocky mountain for the layers.

thanks

looking to buy, can't find what I'm looking for?
Reply #8 Apr 13, 2010 10:01 PM
figured I'd add to this thread instead of a new post.  I'm ready to buy some layers but can't seem to find what I'm looking for..... looking at say the Sleep EZ 8500 series, they list the options of 3 layers of latex from xtra firm to soft.... I was thinking I would get firm, medium and a soft to replace my old matress materials - stop me if I'm wrong :)  All I can find is like on rockymountain, "medium/firm"  I don't see where to designate firm or medium?  what am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Reply #9 Apr 14, 2010 7:17 AM
Phendyr,

You do understand that you need to be looking at toppers or other form of thinner layer when you are doing mattress surgery?

Using the 8500 as an example of what you're planning on would add 7 inches to the top of the springs! Even the topper / pads sold at SleepEz seem to be 3 inch thick (probably really 2.8").

I think others who did the surgery used 1" to 1.5" layers at various ILD's.

Unless you're looking to add considerable height to your existing mattress I'd be looking at thinner options.

Reply #10 Apr 14, 2010 8:36 PM
rjb772 wrote:

Phendyr,

You do understand that you need to be looking at toppers or other form of thinner layer when you are doing mattress surgery?

Using the 8500 as an example of what you're planning on would add 7 inches to the top of the springs! Even the topper / pads sold at SleepEz seem to be 3 inch thick (probably really 2.8").

I think others who did the surgery used 1" to 1.5" layers at various ILD's.

Unless you're looking to add considerable height to your existing mattress I'd be looking at thinner options.

Yes I do understand that, I guess I was referring to the 8500 as an example the types of layers rather than the heights of layers. Even so, All I see are the types I listed (medium/firm & soft)..... not sure where just 'firm' is found? or is the medium/firm just fine?

Reply #11 Apr 15, 2010 7:00 AM
I bought an eastern king 2" celsion topper at sleeplikeabear.com. That's a pricey model but they also sell LI Talatech 1" queen toppers in ILD's in:

Firmness Full range from Extra Plush to Extra Firm (14 ILD, 19 ILD, 24 ILD, 28 ILD, 32 ILD, 36 ILD, 40 ILD, 44 ILD)

Starting @ $172 and adding $15 for the 40ILD and 44ILD versions.

Mine came with free shipping, I did pay $466 though!

Recent Posts