Dr Breus Mattress reviews???
Nov 23, 2010 10:26 AM
We are considering purchasing one of the new Dr Breus Mattresses, but I don't like the fact that I can't find any reviews about it online.

Has anyone seen any reviews for the Dr Breus Signature Mattress???

I'm sure that he's just friends with Dr. Oz and Oprah :-)

Re: Dr Breus Mattress reviews???
Reply #32 Oct 9, 2011 7:56 PM
I am so fascinated by the widely different reviews of these beds...I'm considering buying the Gold one, it was my partner's and my favorite after "blind-testing" in the store, as it were. We had an awesome experience at Sleepy's (Cambridge, MA; Kevin) and would not hesitate to buy from them, but I like doing research before a big purchase like this. I will say, we had a super-clear education on them in store, so we know that they are not 100% latex, know what the store's return/exhance policies are, and what the mfr warranty covers. This is all pretty basic and I'm not sure why so many folks seem surprised by the sh**ty warranties on mattressess: I'm not saying I approve, but it's not top-secret. Just read the fine print. Jeez. (Obviously, customer service failures are a different issue and yes, please, complain to the world! And to the BBB!)

What is REALLY fascinating is that everyone takes a hard line--"this mattress is amazing and the best ever and will change your life" or "this mattress will probably kill you avoid avoid avoid"--but no one seems to recognize the essential truth behind any purchase like this: some will like it. Some won't. Everyone's body is different and will acclimate differently to a new sleeping surface. Two people can try on the same pair of shoes and think they're comfortable in the store, and one of them can develop blisters in a month while one will love them. I'd love to see some non-judgemental, purely factual accounts of how the mattress felt in-store, how it felt when it was delivered, and how it felt after some time had elapsed. I just tune out the sensationalist reviews; positive or negative, they all come across as being sponsored by either the brand in question, or a competing brand.

Reply #33 Nov 3, 2011 9:38 AM
Well, I spent close to 3k for my bed.  It is in fact a Dr. Breus.  It is soft, and I absolutely love it!!!!!  I used to wake up and have to get out of bed at 5:30 every morning because my back would be killing me!  Low back pain.  I am finally getting a great night sleep.  Here's the down fall.  You'll never want to leave your bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is well worth every single penny i spent.

Good Luck

Reply #34 Nov 11, 2011 12:25 PM
Don't buy it! It's crap! After 4 months it is hurting my back. I can't move in bed without my back hurting. When I get out of bed my back is fine and I can sleep anywhere else and my back is fine.

From an engineering standpoint it has been cost reduced to bring in maximum dollars with no regard to the consumer. For example, the foundation is cardboard and very little pieces of wood for support. But, the outside has a lovely covering to give the impression of quality.

The matteress has a similar covering but the foam density has been reduced so much that there is little hope it can ever hold up in day to day use.

Plus, what is on Sleepy's showroom floor is not what you will get at home. What is on the floor is a heavy well constructed product that is vastly different from what you will end up with.

I encourage you to explore this matteress in other reviews and forums. If you do enough research you will eventually see a pattern to support my statements. And ignore the positives, there is strong suspicion Sleepy's is posting there own reviews.

Don't expect customer service from them either, I've had zero success. They also have a history of being uncooperative and have numerous litigations against them.

Good luck.

Reply #35 Nov 19, 2011 10:54 PM
We just got a Dr. Breus mattress. We bought it at a sleepys. We were  looking for a new bed because our  17 year old Sterns and Foster mattress had had it.

We tried this  latex bed in the store and the sales man guided us to the 'medium' hardness because we are 'side sleepers'.  The bed was so comfortable we took a chance and bought one on the spot (along with some feather pillows).

We have had the bed for about a week and a half and it is GREAT!   We love it!  

Also, it was a big investment so i hope that it lasts. We did absolutely NO research into what kind of bed to buy ..we just winged it.

We had also never heard of Dr. Breus before. Had no idea the guy is a 'sleep Dr'.. Hope it is not a big sham!:)

The mattress is soft yet firm and it has a solid sort of 'unbouncy' feeling which is quite different than a regular spring mattress.  It gets a little warm but thats ok for us.

I went online to see what we got ourselves into AFTER the fact of buying it,  and came to this site just now and i decided to leave a reply.

Ok that is all. Good luck.

Reply #36 Nov 20, 2011 4:13 PM
Tons of interesting responses in this forum about Dr. Breus' beds. In my experience, the name of the person on the bed (Donald Trump, Vera Wang, Dr. Breus, etc) usually have very little to do with the actual product performance. I will say that Dr. Breus , in the area of the sleep sciences, is absolutely phenomenal... when it comes to the actual mattresses, it seems like it might be a little self-serving. I havenot tried out this line of beds yet, but I do know some of the other reponses have listed some inaccurate info.

• Polyurethane foam covers a HUGE amount of materials, including memory foam... which does not break down as fast as other types of polyurethane foams.
  • Sleeping hot many times is the individual but could also be the fact that being on a new support system that has eliminated (hopefully) many pressure points in your body. If you used to sleep with a lot of pressure points in your old bed or the bed sagged so much that your muscles were constantly working, your hands, fingers and toes were constantly cold, etc. and now find yourself level, supported, fewer to no pressure points (which result in more relaxed muscles, and inrease in blood flow) you will absolutely be hot for a few weeks as your body adjusts to this new healthier sleep you are experiencing. Think of the difference between a treadmill and an elliptical machine. Many treadmill enthusiasts could go "miles" on the treadmill but when confronted with the elliptical for the first time, found themselves limited to a much shortetr distance and or time. Why? More controlled and effective muscle usage and building. Same thing in a truly supportive (and comfortable) bed. Greater blood flow, more oxygen through deeper sleep and as a result much more healing throughout the body... deeper sleep means more internal working to prepare you for the next day. As all athletes can attest, you can adjust to the new routine and you lose the negative effects you experienced in the beginning.
  • Do your research on sleep and science and then see if the retailer's actual mattresses live up to YOUR expectations

Sleep Well "loel"

PS

Read Dr. Breus' blog on his website and focus on the science and effects of sleep... leave the manufacturing of the products to manufacturers.

Reply #37 Mar 27, 2012 6:06 PM
Awful, terrible.

I paid a boatload of money and cannot get a single good night's sleep. the mattress bows in like a canopy.

The company is essentially a hoax, the whole "Sleep Journal" thing is a scam, they never return your communcations once they sell you the mattress. Essentially the opposite of what they advertise.

Reply #38 Mar 27, 2012 8:55 PM
GuyMakesSense wrote:

Tons of interesting responses in this forum about Dr. Breus' beds. In my experience, the name of the person on the bed (Donald Trump, Vera Wang, Dr. Breus, etc) usually have very little to do with the actual product performance. I will say that Dr. Breus , in the area of the sleep sciences, is absolutely phenomenal... when it comes to the actual mattresses, it seems like it might be a little self-serving. I havenot tried out this line of beds yet, but I do know some of the other reponses have listed some inaccurate info.

• Polyurethane foam covers a HUGE amount of materials, including memory foam... which does not break down as fast as other types of polyurethane foams.
  • Sleeping hot many times is the individual but could also be the fact that being on a new support system that has eliminated (hopefully) many pressure points in your body. If you used to sleep with a lot of pressure points in your old bed or the bed sagged so much that your muscles were constantly working, your hands, fingers and toes were constantly cold, etc. and now find yourself level, supported, fewer to no pressure points (which result in more relaxed muscles, and inrease in blood flow) you will absolutely be hot for a few weeks as your body adjusts to this new healthier sleep you are experiencing. Think of the difference between a treadmill and an elliptical machine. Many treadmill enthusiasts could go "miles" on the treadmill but when confronted with the elliptical for the first time, found themselves limited to a much shortetr distance and or time. Why? More controlled and effective muscle usage and building. Same thing in a truly supportive (and comfortable) bed. Greater blood flow, more oxygen through deeper sleep and as a result much more healing throughout the body... deeper sleep means more internal working to prepare you for the next day. As all athletes can attest, you can adjust to the new routine and you lose the negative effects you experienced in the beginning.
  • Do your research on sleep and science and then see if the retailer's actual mattresses live up to YOUR expectations

Sleep Well "loel"

PS

Read Dr. Breus' blog on his website and focus on the science and effects of sleep... leave the manufacturing of the products to manufacturers.

FYI - Donald Trump doesn't even sleep on his own mattresses he sleeps on a Gardner Mattress from MA.

Reply #39 May 14, 2012 4:46 PM
In July 2011 I began my search for a new bed.  Trying to research, check websites, consumer product reports, personal reviews etc.... in an effort to  educate my self before such a major purchase. 

It was extremely hard to find many reviews on any of the Dr. Breus mattresses which are (or were?) sold by Urban Mattress in Colorado. 

I ended up purchasing a Cal King size Dr. Breus Signature Platimum.....(just one step up from the Signature Elite.... (my previous review had the models wrong)  such a sorry costly mistake!!!.... after tax was $4K

Since it was a Cal King, I was told up front that it was a "special order" so NO returns.... But,  I thought I was safe as I spent along time in the store during a couple of different trips and taking my time and laying on the mattresses for 30 min or so at a time.  Both the Platimum and  Elite and  were very comfortable in the store.  NO SINK HOLE feeling. 

I don't know what happened between the floor model and the one I ultimately received. (I am guessing poor assembly and lacking quality control)... again Cal King "Special Order".... 

It is way too soft (much more than the store model felt),,,, but the real problem is the SINK HOLE .  Both my husband and I sink in the "holes".   We are so, so disappointed in this very expensive mattress.  I have some lower back problems and due to this "sink hole" and therefore no support to the lower back, I wake up "crippled" each morning until I am up on my feet then my back loosens up. 

This is not a review from a brand new purchase, I purchased the mattress in August 2011.  Beware! Beware!  I have truly been suckered... by Dr. Breus and Urban Mattress.

I am now starting my a search for a new mattress, as I cannot continue to sleep like this. 

Reply #40 May 14, 2012 4:52 PM
AlexC wrote:

Awful, terrible.

I paid a boatload of money and cannot get a single good night's sleep. the mattress bows in like a canopy.

The company is essentially a hoax, the whole "Sleep Journal" thing is a scam, they never return your communcations once they sell you the mattress. Essentially the opposite of what they advertise.

I agree!!!

Reply #41 Jun 19, 2012 10:21 PM
We have owned our Dr. Breuss Mattress for about 1 1/2 years.  We were told it is the top of the line.  A queen size that set us back $2800 plus taxes.   I've always been very careful with my purchases to avoid getting suckered.  But this time....dealing with a product that I'm not familiar with....it REALLY happened.   It is too soft.....sinks in the middle.  My wife and I find ourselves battling for the middle of the bed.  I wake up every morning more tired than I was when I went to bed.  I spend the first 30 minutes of every morning in excruciating pain before I work out the kinks that this mattress causes.  I get better sleep....better rest.....and wake up with much less pain if I spend the night in my recliner.  Yep.  We got suckered.  And we really cannot afford to purchase another mattress.  Wonder if I contacted an attorney if there would be enough dissatisfied purchasers of this pile of junk to justify a class action.  Talk about fraud......wow!  I am so ashamed of letting myself get defrauded like this.

If you are shopping for a new mattress.......be very, very careful.  I wish we had been more so.

Recent Posts