The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Oct 25, 2010 11:51 PM
Hello all, still on my hunt for a good bed.  My wife and I were originally looking at a Kingsdown Sleep to Live 800 Series (red/blue), but after reading some reviews we were a little skid dish and decided to look at a latex bed.  Now I know there are a lot of on-line companies like Sleepez and FloBeds, but buying a bed untested from an online retailer just is a little too inconvenient as we have to deal with shipping cost if we get the firmness wrong.  So we went back to my local Sleepy’s to look at what they have to offer for latex beds.  Turns our they just received the new line of Dr. Breus latex beds that same day which are made by IBC.  We tried all five models and narrowed it down to two.  As this is a brand new line of beds it is hard for me to find on-line detailed specs.  I know the salesperson tells me the bed is entirely Talalay latex, but I would like to confirm that from another source.  Does anyone have anything they can share on me these beds?  Or if there are any other recommendations of other beds we should look at?  Thanks all.

Dan

Re: The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Reply #63 Mar 25, 2011 4:46 PM
Hi All,

Return this bed or stop delivery you will be sorry, Dr. Breus signature platinum at the least!!

I purchased a Dr. Breus signature platinum Bed last Friday, The top of the line, it felt great to my wife and I in the store, firm supportive ,etc..

We took delivery this past Sunday, it felt a lot softer than what I remembered being in the store, my tag says %53 Poly foam and %45 latex with the other stuff on the tag shown in this forum.

Monday I woke up with great back pain, and we both said this bed  is a lot softer than what we tried in store so after work I went to the store and low and behold the store one was a lot (LOT) firmer!!!  So I called my sales person on her cell phone (someone that actually cares, actually left me her cell phone number when I purchased the bed from her) left her a voice message and called the 1800sleepys, the 1800 number wanted me to do a mattress exchange for $400, I told them the mattress was totally different from the showroom floor and then they said to call my sales person (I was getting very upset).  My salesperson called me within 10 minutes back (and it was her day off!) after hanging up with the 1800 number , I explained the whole story to her and she said she would call me right back, 10 minutes latter she called back and said her manager seen this before once or twice, and the person who made the bed that day did it wrong so they would just swap it out with another one,  now Wednesday they came with the new one and guess what, the same thing, now I slept on it Sunday and Monday but Tuesday my back could not take any more so I slept on the floor (boy was that hard but in the morning my back felt a lot better!), Wednesday and Thursday I put the biggest comforter folded several times under my butt and back about a foot to a foot and a half in high not laying on it but this made the mattress tolerable  at the least with minimal back pain, I did wake up several times these nights due to the discomfort of the mattress.

Going back to Wednesday, while the delivery men are still present for the 2nd Dr. Breus mattress, I called my sales person back (would you believe it was her day off and she returned my call within 10min again, all hats go off to her, April, there is not that many people that would actually do this at all).  She told me she would call me back, 10 minutes latter she called back and said to go do this (a particular) store and see this person and pick out another mattress and they will exchange it for no exchange or shipping cost to me. So I picked  "The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic" ,  it did cost me $110 more only due to the difference from the breus bed that I paid, and actually they just came and swapped the bed as I am writing this Friday.  Also this bed is suppose to come with 2 pillows that, that the 2nd salesperson said came with it and has to talk to a manager to get them to me, I will update on that and the bed in a week here so people know.

The Dr. Breus is one piece of junk!!!!!!!!  We tried another in a 3rd store that was firmer than ours but nowhere near as firm as the original store, so there is absolutely no consistency with these beds in manufacturing!!!  These Dr. Breus beds are not worth any more than $1000 and that may be too high.  I know this guy may not know what is going on but he is an idiot (and this is not the word I want to use) in my opinion for stamping his name on such a junk bed!!!!!!, and may actually just be a BS artist all around.

Sleepy's is a great company (especially if you buy from a salesperson who cares), I will update this in a week or so when my free pillows come in and tell you how my back feels on "The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic".

All hats go off to April M. (my main sales person) and  Bob S.(2nd salesperson)  in southern MA  area!!!!

This message was modified Mar 25, 2011 by dfran1
Reply #64 Mar 26, 2011 1:33 PM
dfran1,

No, I would not believe it. If so, you are the one lucky sleepy's customer. Seems like all the others have to complain on facebook or twitter to get any kind of response from them.

I will never buy anything from them again. A very expensive lesson learned. For now my mattress (won't adverise that name) is ok with a topper.

marissa

Reply #65 Mar 26, 2011 7:59 PM
I guess I really do have a one of a kind salesperson then, I felt like you described before my salesperson called me back on Monday (that I was screwed,  and or what to do) with the 1800 #'s response.  So I do see and felt your pain for 10 minutes (before my salesperson called me back) and it did suck big time!!   But I guess I got lucky and have a salesperson that cares, and the 2nd salesperson called me back today and said my free pillows are on there way to me (make that 2 people so far).  I do now the one I saw in the original store (not the two I mentioned) on Monday after work did not seem to care that much because he told me to call the useless 1800#.

I will keep you all informed on when my pillows come in and how I like the new mattress.

Thanks for letting me know your situation!

Reply #66 Mar 26, 2011 9:14 PM
Sorry, Dfran1 if I sounded harsh. I am glad that you did have a good salesperson and got your problem resolved.  Here's hoping that the Tempurpedic Rhapsody is better. A 15+ yr old tempurpedic (one of the originals) is what we decided to replace when buying the one we now have. They are the best, never any problem. We just felt it was time to update. Bad move.The irony is I never had a sleep problem until the dr breus bed(didn't know anything about him and still don't). The salespeople in that store heavily pushed those beds and every review other than their website has been dismal.

Good Luck reallysmiley.

Marissa

Reply #67 Mar 27, 2011 7:26 AM
What Dr. Breus bed did you get?  I guess you tried to get it exchanged?

Did you ever rotate your tempurpedic (it says in my manual that came with mine to not rate it) just curious?

I am sorry to hear your sleep problems with it but in my short experience with Breus beds, they are junk.

2nd night with my bed and still having morning back pain (nothing compared to the Breus bed, and a little better than my spring mattress these replaced) so tonight I will try to put something in between the box spring and mattress in my butt/back area, you may want to try something like this also (my wife hated the Breus bed also so maybe it will not work, maybe if we had the exact same Dr. Breus bed in the showroom I would not be complaining at all),  I can not get anything firmer, my wife does not like firm at all, but I think I need to just raise my back area up an inch or two, you may or may not need this but this is something we can do cause we do not have spring mattresses and these flexsmiley

I will keep this updated.

Thanks 

Don

PS:  I am rally sorry that anyone finds this forum out too late on a Dr. Breus bed purchase (It is a big gamble that you get a descent bed)  I will be posting my original comment with some modifications in the Sleepy's mattress section on the one I had and it will be 0 stars or whatever is minimum (and that still will not be low enough). 

This message was modified Mar 27, 2011 by dfran1
Reply #68 Mar 27, 2011 11:26 AM
Dfran1,

We never had to rotate the tempurpedic. At the end before we bought the Dr. Breus, we did try, they are very heavy mattresses so it is good that we never needed to. We did buy one of the originals I thought it was 1989, but they weren't sold i n US till 1991 or 92 but we got a lot of years of great sleep and when we decided to get a new one a lot of family and friends still wanted to know if we were selling it because they wanted it(not a sales pitch. LOL). It was King size.

Marissa

This message was modified Mar 28, 2011 by nosleep101
Reply #69 Mar 29, 2011 10:02 PM
Cazual,

The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Original Message   Oct 25, 2010 8:51 pm

To hopefully shed some light on your original posted question(s), I would like to share what I have found while shopping these beds

1. “I know the salesperson tells me the bed is entirely Talalay latex…”

This is from the Dr Breus Website ( http://www.thesleepdoctor.com/the-dr-breus-bed/ )
“The Dr. Breus Bed™ is constructed using three primary ingredients: tempsense™, along with multiple layers of natural     Talalay Latex and High Density, Soy-based Poly-foams. These materials are manufactured in the United States… The Dr. Breus Bed™ has a 20 year limited warranty…”

2. The Talalay latex used in the beds are manufactured by Latex International. More info about sleeping on latex, and their website http://www.latexfoam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=81

3. The beds are manufactured by International Bedding http://www.ibcgroup.com/announcements/the-sleep-doctor-dr-michael-breus-releases-revolutionary-new-mattress-line

Reply #70 Mar 30, 2011 8:05 PM
You forgot 

#4.  The Dr. Breus (or international bedding for that matter) are junk!!!!!!!!  There is absolutely no consistency with these beds in manufacturing!!!  These Dr. Breus beds are not worth any more than $1000 and that may be too high!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am finally starting to get used to my new RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic, and I received my free pillows as promised by the 2nd Sleepy's salesperson!!  I know some have had bad luck with them but I have had great luck so far with Sleepy's!! I will keep this forum updated.

This message was modified Mar 30, 2011 by dfran1
Reply #71 Jun 27, 2011 1:37 PM
Thank God I stayed away from Dr. Breus! I had seriously contemplated getting one judgin by the one they had in the sleepy's showroom.

Glad your happy on your Tempurpedic and hope you get many years of quality sleep from it.

Reply #72 Jul 4, 2011 9:46 PM
I enjoyed reading this thread and have some thoughts, and my own Dr. Breus Bed experience to share.

I had never really researched beds before I bought them in the past.  I just went into the store, and let the salesman tell me what he thought was a good mattress for the money.  This time out, I wanted to find something that I liked the feel of.  I started off looking at innerspring mattresses with pillow tops.  Several of my coworkers have Tempurpedics and had nothing but good things to say about them, so I was interested in finding out more about them too.  While researching memory foam, I also ended up reading a lot about latex (Talalay and Dunlap).  I liked what I read about the latex ones, and saw a few nice online sites.  I read that natural real rubber was better and lasted longer than polyurethane foam mattresses.  I came close to ordering one, but couldn't bring myself to do it without getting to test one out in person before buying.  But, it made me look for anything labeled latex as I looked for a bed. 

So, while I was in one store trying out the plushest pillow tops, I layed on some Dr Breus beds.  Wow!  Talk about the weightless soft feeling that some mattresses brag about.  I loved the way the Dr. Breus Monogram Gold felt.  And then a salesman came up and told me that it was made of Talalay foam with a natural foam core.  A soy based foam....  In hind site, soy based doesn't even make sense.  Foam made from rubber does. 

I bought the Dr. Breus and couldn't wait to sleep on it.  When I got it, I thought it didn't feel like the one in the store.  I was disapointed.  I went back to the store and laid on the floor model again, and told my salesman what I thought.  He assured me that it would feel the same after I broke mine in.  So, I went back home to try it out some more.  While doing so, I looked at the tag.  I know I should have done that while I was in the store, and everyone that read this thread knows what I saw there.  Over 70% Polyurethane.  To me that meant that it was a much cheaper bed to make than it was being sold for.  And, the value of the bed means something to me too.  I felt like I paid more than it was worth, and it didn't feel the same as the floor model.  But, at least it has the 15 year warranty.  And I had 60 days to make sure I was happy with it. 

After one month I could feel an impression in the spot I slept in.  If I took off the sheets and mattress cover there was no visible impression.  It was just something I felt when I laid on it.  So, when it comes to warranty issues, do they measure visible sags or ones you can feel?  My guess was that this bed could have invisible impressions and might not be covered under warranty.  Just a guess on my part.  But, regardless, I knew I didn't want it if I was feeling this in one month.

I returned mine.  I don't think it was made of good material.  It didn't feel like the one in the store.  And I felt an impression where I slept.  I had also written a couple emails to Dr Breus web site, and to International Bedding asking for more detail on the construction.  I didn't get any answers, but International Bedding site did acknowledge reciept of my email.

Recent Posts