Brooklyn Bedding All Latex Models from LatexMattressShop
May 22, 2011 4:41 PM
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on latex pieces from foambymail to build a DIY mattress (my thread on that:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/advice-needed-my-diy-all-latex-project/19004-0-1.html ).  But I've continued to pour through old posts.  In so doing, I ran accross Phoenix's posts mentioning http://latexmattressshop.com/index.php/ .   Other than Phoenix's mention, there isn't a lot of info here or folks that seem to have their mattresses.  I am amazed by their prices for what you get and am now thinking this is a better way to go for me.  I realize that going this way, you lose the ability to tweak, but I wasn't looking forward to that anyway.  They do offer a complete 60 day money back guarantee.

I would love to hear more opinions about the Brooklyn Bedding latex line and latexmattressshop as a company.  If all is on the up and up, I would also like help selecting which of their mattresses might be best for my wife and me.

Repeating our sleep bio info. from my other thread: me, I'm 6'0" 170-175lbs, 38 y.o., mainly a stomach sleeper but usually flip to my back at some point during the night.  My wife is 5'0" 110-115lbs, 36 y.o., mainly a stomach sleeper, but also flips to her back some.  We both occasionally deal with low back pain usually brought on by our workouts. 

I am considering the Allure Plush 10" (http://latexmattressshop.com/index.php/comfort-level/allure-latex-plush) or the Fascination Pillow 12" (http://latexmattressshop.com/index.php/comfort-level/fascination-latex-pillow).  The top layer can be selected as soft, medium, or firm.  I am thinking medium would be the way to go on that since medium-firm is typically best for low back pain sufferers.  With the 10% off coupon I received from signing up for their e-mail list, I can get the 10" Allure with matching King foundation for $1,371.60 with free shipping.  The 12" Fascination with foundation would be $1,632.60.  

I am thinking the 10" Allure might be the way to go.  This is basically how I was planning to setup my DIY project.  Just the 3 foam pieces from FBM were going to be $1,215, and the return guarantee was subject to shipping being charged both ways and a 25% restocking fee. 

The 12" pillowtop looks really nice, but I'm worried it may be too soft for us as stomach sleepers.  I'm also not clear about what is in the pillowtop since the diagrams on the construction for both mattresses list the same materials in the top.  I will call to find out about this. 

Now, I realize a big difference in the latex in these setups is Dunlop while the FBM latex is Talalay (though both are 100% natural).  Considering that the top layer can be chosen as soft, medium, or firm, do you think the Dunlop would be too firm for us?  I do like the feel of a solid bed.  Also, though there is little info here on the Brooklyn Bedding line, someone commented that the 8" version was too soft for them.

I do worry some about the FBM pieces as the comments seem to be that their ILD ratings are inconsistent.

Bottom line - are one of these two options from latexmattressshop a better call than doing a DIY mattress sourced from FBM?  If so, which model do you think would be better for us?

Many thanks!  I continue to be amazed at the wealth of information on this forum.

This message was modified May 22, 2011 by TheLTFM
Re: Brooklyn Bedding All Latex Models from LatexMattressShop
Reply #24 May 23, 2011 10:38 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

I think the dunlop core and talalay top is common configuration.  Isn't that what the Habitat Furnishings 8" latex mattress is?

Did you ask if LatexMattressShop offers swapping after purchase?  Probably not.

It's not clear what the top 1.5-2" consists of.  A little latex, a little wool, bamboo fabric.... What exactly does that mean?  Seems like an 8" bed with something on top.

But I think you are buying an 8" mattress here.  A fair comparison to FBM is 6" dunlop with 2" dunlop/talalay, an enclosure.  I don't know if enclosures have wool quilted into the top or not.

How far back did you dig in the archives to look at DIY mattresses?  And I'm sure there are other people who have done DIY latex mattresses.  Did you check some of the sites that have lots of DIY instructions?  You might find some useful information there.  www.instructables.com is one such site; there are probably more.

Yep - Habitat's 8" bed is Dunlop + Talalay (though they use 100% natural for both layers vs the blended Talatech with latexmattressshop).

No swapping, but he did say that if the bed is too firm, they will send a 2" soft topper free of charge to soften things up in hopes of the buyer keeping the mattress rather than returning it.  Presumably you could still send the whole thing back if you didn't like it with the topper.

Definitely an 8" bed.  LI does make a quilting latex called Evercloud that I believe is what they are using in the top 1.5 - 2". I don't think this quilted latex would make that big of a difference.

I have gone back a good bit here on some DIY threads, but plan to keep digging.

Thanks for your help!

Reply #25 May 23, 2011 11:26 PM
@TheLTFM - Answer theses questions: What is your budget? How many sources have you narrowed your search to? Which source is at the top of the list? Why? Which source is at the bottom? Why? Have you decided on a configuration you like? What is keeping you from ordering right now?

I'll say this about my experience in mattress hunting: Quickly after I found this site, I knew building my own mattress was my best option. I've learned that buying a mattress which I couldn't alter the layers would be risky for me. My choices were strickend by my small budget, so FBM caught my eye quickly. I read the negative reviews they had and determined most of them were related to cosmetics and the other negative comments were also made against the other top places. My current mattress is 15" and I spent about $650 which is half of my budget. This gives me the oppurtunity to add a 2" topper or another foundation if I want and still be under my budget.

This message was modified May 23, 2011 by need2sleep636
Reply #26 May 24, 2011 12:01 AM
need2sleep636 wrote:

@TheLTFM - Answer theses questions: What is your budget? How many sources have you narrowed your search to? Which source is at the top of the list? Why? Which source is at the bottom? Why? Have you decided on a configuration you like? What is keeping you from ordering right now?

I'll say this about my experience in mattress hunting: Quickly after I found this site, I knew building my own mattress was my best option. I've learned that buying a mattress which I couldn't alter the layers would be risky for me. My choices were strickend by my small budget, so FBM caught my eye quickly. I read the negative reviews they had and determined most of them were related to cosmetics and the other negative comments were also made against the other top places. My current mattress is 15" and I spent about $650 which is half of my budget. This gives me the oppurtunity to add a 2" topper or another foundation if I want and still be under my budget.

I would like to keep the whole shebang (mattress, foundation, mattress protector/pad) in the $1,500 to $1,700 range.  I've narrowed primarily to LatexMattressShop or FBM.  If I go the FBM DIY route, I'm still trying to decide on the best mattress protector or case.  I'm leaning towards the St. Dormeir pad (http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/st-geneves-st-dormeir-wool-mattress-pad-review-day-3/13490-A-1.html) available now from flobeds for $159.

Right now, I'm leaning back towards FBM over LMS for a couple of reasons:  all natural latex vs. the blended talalay used by LMS, modular approach for getting it just right, like the idea of at least trying at first to sleep directly on the latex, your positive review of what you received from them, and like the thought that in 10 years I could pull a layer or two out and completely refresh the mattress with the assumption that the core will be pretty untouched.

With FBM, right now I would order this setup:  6" 36 ILD core + 2" 32 ILD mid-core + 2" 20 ILD topper (all 100% natural talalay).  I could swap the 20 and the 32 if I wanted to experiment with a firmer feel. 

FBM cost on above:  $1,216

Foundation (http://www.amazon.com/Thick-Foundation-memory-latex-mattresses/dp/B002RVCSRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305859732&sr=8-3): $229

Mattress Pad/Protector:  $159 - $239

(I'm also considering this bamboo temp. regulating pad instead of the Dormier:  http://www.cuddledown.com/product/mattress-pads-protectors/temp-regulating-pads-protectors/ultimate-comfort-bamboo-mattress-pad.do?sortby=newArrivals#    

Grand Total:  $1,604 - $1,684  (vs. $1,530 for the LMS route + the Dormier cover.  That extra $100 buys me all talalay, all natural, and 2" more of latex)

I'm having too much fun over analyzing everything to order right now! wink  Seriously, I feel like I'm still learning stuff, but my goal is to order one way or another by the end of this week.  Of course, my 14 year old crappy inner spring mattress with featherbed on top is sleeping great right now for both my wife and me since we flipped it.  She mentioned maybe we don't need to buy a new mattress after all.  I told her I had way too many hours invested in this not to do something!

This message was modified May 24, 2011 by TheLTFM
Reply #27 May 24, 2011 12:27 AM
Nice summary TheLTFM!  You've certainly done your homework.  I agree with your comment about being able to replace the layers.  As your wife pointed out, no need to rush into a decision.  Does FBM ever have sales or coupons ;-)
Reply #28 May 24, 2011 8:32 AM
TheLTFM wrote:

I'm having too much fun over analyzing everything to order right now! wink  Seriously, I feel like I'm still learning stuff, but my goal is to order one way or another by the end of this week.  Of course, my 14 year old crappy inner spring mattress with featherbed on top is sleeping great right now for both my wife and me since we flipped it.  She mentioned maybe we don't need to buy a new mattress after all.  I told her I had way too many hours invested in this not to do something!

I started to get the feeling I was over analyzing as well; thats where I got those question from. You're in a good situation right now given you are currently sleepy comfortably, So no matter what I say take all the time you need. I've heard flipping a mattress could give another 3-6 months of good sleep.

This message was modified May 24, 2011 by need2sleep636
Reply #29 Jul 17, 2011 10:35 PM
so the LTFM what did you end up doing? if you built your own, what case, if any, did you end up using>

Recent Posts