St. Geneve's St. dormeir wool mattress pad review day 3
Jul 8, 2010 6:40 PM
I took the helpful advice from the folks here to pickup a St. Geneve St. Dormeir wool mattress pad to see if it would help with the Tempurpedic bed sweating. I'm glad I took the advice. All 3 nights have been extremely comfortable and there is no more waking up stuck to the bed!

Its a very nice product. I'd suggest washing it before using it as it does have a bit of dander I found when you unpack it. Well worth the $200. I'll try to post an update as time goes on.

Its also worth noting that that texture of the pad compared to the Natura model is much nicer in feel and not as bulky.

This message was modified Jul 8, 2010 by fishstick
Re: St. Geneve's St. dormeir wool mattress pad review day 3
Reply #1 Jul 8, 2010 6:41 PM
Can one get this pad in USA? Do you have the web site link please? Thanks so much.
Reply #2 Jul 8, 2010 6:46 PM
roy1 wrote:

Can one get this pad in USA? Do you have the web site link please? Thanks so much.

Sure can. I cannot believe what a huge difference this has made. Remember to have good sheets as well as this can help.

Where to buy: http://www.dormeir.com/dealers/usa.htm

Product: http://www.dormeir.com/products/mattressprotectors.htm

Reply #3 Jul 8, 2010 7:17 PM
fishstick - welcome to the Dormeir fan club!
Reply #4 Jul 8, 2010 8:53 PM
Do you know if any of the dealers will ship the product?

Thank you.

Reply #5 Jul 8, 2010 9:03 PM
MequonJim wrote:

Do you know if any of the dealers will ship the product?

Thank you.

In Canada here http://www.tmasc.ca/woolprotectors/DormeirPad.html

Give them a call I imagine you can find one in the US if not they'll probably ship to you.

Reply #6 Jul 8, 2010 9:33 PM
I also followed the advice of many people here and ordered one. It arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased with it. It wasn't a heat issue with me--I just don't like feel of most polyester pads with their stiff backing. The Dormeir did have an odor when first unwrapped, but it quickly faded. Its comfortably soft and generously sized for my Flo Bed.
Reply #7 Jul 9, 2010 7:52 AM
fyi - I bought a wool comforter from koala products in australia. high thread count cotton cover sewn into two inches of untreated wool. twin size exactly fits a full size mattress with no overhang. I am using it under a feather bed,over the mattress. love it. 40 bucks. they sell on ebay. 
Reply #8 Jul 9, 2010 12:36 PM
Glad to hear this has made a noticeable difference for you, definitely an awesome product.
Reply #9 Jul 10, 2010 5:10 PM
Is this pad  WATERPROOF/SPILL PROOF?

thanks.

This message was modified Jul 10, 2010 by roy1
Reply #10 Jul 10, 2010 5:20 PM
It is quite water resistant, but definitely not water proof.  That would defeat the purpose of the pad.
Reply #11 Jul 10, 2010 7:05 PM
roy1 wrote:

Is this pad  WATERPROOF/SPILL PROOF?

thanks.

Unless you have a child, lots of wine etc on the bed, or some real crazy happenings in the bedroom, you should be ok with this pad.

If not a protector with a polypropelene or similar membrane is the one to go with as they are waterproof......but breathe nowhere near a product like this.

Reply #12 Jul 10, 2010 7:39 PM
fishstick wrote:

Unless you have a child, lots of wine etc on the bed, or some real crazy happenings in the bedroom, you should be ok with this pad.

If not a protector with a polypropelene or similar membrane is the one to go with as they are waterproof......but breathe nowhere near a product like this.

could I use this pad on both the Tempurpedic and latex mattresses?

and it keeps the tempurpedic cool?

And makes the latex sleep even cooler and better?

Thanks

This message was modified Jul 10, 2010 by roy1
Reply #13 Jul 11, 2010 2:19 AM
most really good latex mattress come with cotton covers and wool quilted inside them....so it probably wouldn't make an appreciable difference in the heat with that type of build...but this wool is machine washable...mattress covers are not.
Reply #14 Jul 12, 2010 1:00 AM
budgy wrote:

most really good latex mattress come with cotton covers and wool quilted inside them....so it probably wouldn't make an appreciable difference in the heat with that type of build...but this wool is machine washable...mattress covers are not.

Thank you budgy.

I am though still confused.

So it would be all right to use this dormeir with the tempurpedic mattress, correct?

AND it will be alright to use this with the latex, correct. Even if it cools the latex a little that is of some help.

BUT the thing nagging me is this:

Using this dormeir - Will it take away the natural feel of the tempurpedic mattress and the latex mattress?

Thanks budgy.

Reply #15 Jul 12, 2010 1:07 AM
This particular pad is stretchier than most quilted mattress pads.  It will interfere minimally with the feeling of any mattress even a Tempur-Pedic.
Reply #16 Jul 12, 2010 7:08 PM

Is it this one?

http://www.beddingandbath.com/i?store=prod&id=47731&sid=W23BQQ3308LI8P

It is a mattress protector and not  a mattress pad. Thanks.

Reply #17 Jul 12, 2010 7:37 PM
That is the pad, but definitely do not buy it from them.  The MSRP on the pad is $178 (and I am not ashamed to admit, handsomely profitable at such a price).  $355 is outrageous.
Reply #18 Jul 12, 2010 8:12 PM
Does the pad help hold a mattress together?  One made of layers I mean.  Some seem like they have more powerful elastic than others.  I only ask because it is sold as a custom product and all sales are final unless there is a defect.

This website:

http://www.snuggledown.com/s/catalog/mattress_covers/st_dormeir_wool_mattress_protectors/

Will ship to USA without an additional fee.

Thanks for any further input.

Reply #19 Jul 12, 2010 8:28 PM
It will make things look neat and tidy but I wouldn't rely on it to keep layers together if gymnastics are being performed.  Latex and foam layers are quite good at sticking to each other, however, so unless each layer is separately encased in a fabric your bed should be pretty stable as is.
Reply #20 Jul 19, 2010 5:55 PM
So its been a few weeks and I'm still very impressed with this mattress pad! Really cools down the Tempur and has a low profile.
Reply #21 Jul 19, 2010 6:37 PM
Great reviews on this mattress pad. I can't wait to get mine. I ordered the recommended 24" drop from Laughlin Designs (www.snuggledown.com). After reading Diane's post about the 16" drop fitting a 13" bed, I sent an email to Sandra Laughlin telling her I was worried about the 24" drop being too much for my 13.25 " FloBed. She wrote Dormeir to confirm which would be best, and they are sending me the 16" drop. Great customer service from Sandra, also lowest prices and free shipping for the USA.smiley
This message was modified Jul 19, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #22 Aug 10, 2010 2:53 PM
This forum is becoming an addiction... just ordered one of these from a local dealer in ny (which according to her will take about ~3 weeks for it to arrive :P). Thanks for all the recommendations.

PS- if anyone has more reviews please share

This message was modified Aug 11, 2010 by Relaxo
Reply #23 Aug 11, 2010 12:56 AM
I just ordered mine, too. Sadly, it won't be here for at least a couple weeks. :-(
Reply #24 Aug 11, 2010 7:29 PM
fishstick wrote:

So its been a few weeks and I'm still very impressed with this mattress pad! Really cools down the Tempur and has a low profile.

Has it changed the feeling of the memory foam?  If so, for better or for worse?

Thank you.

Reply #25 Aug 12, 2010 2:13 PM
MequonJim wrote:

Has it changed the feeling of the memory foam?  If so, for better or for worse?

Thank you.

It has quite a thin profile so i don't believe it has.

I've never slept right on the foam with a sheet due to it sweating quite a bit for me. Maybe this winter I'll give it a trycool

Reply #26 Sep 3, 2010 12:33 PM
Natalia wrote:

Great reviews on this mattress pad. I can't wait to get mine. I ordered the recommended 24" drop from Laughlin Designs (www.snuggledown.com). After reading Diane's post about the 16" drop fitting a 13" bed, I sent an email to Sandra Laughlin telling her I was worried about the 24" drop being too much for my 13.25 " FloBed. She wrote Dormeir to confirm which would be best, and they are sending me the 16" drop. Great customer service from Sandra, also lowest prices and free shipping for the USA.smiley

Hi all,

I received my Dormeir washable mattress protector Monday. It is worth every penney! All heat issues are gone, I don't feel the stitching even through a thin jersey bottom sheet, it doesn't change the feel of my latex one bit and it doesn't bunch or shift! I LOVE it and highly recommend it to anyone with mattress heat issues.

Thanks so much Diane, Budgy, and fishstix. smiley

Best to everyone,

Natalie

Reply #27 Sep 4, 2010 7:47 AM
Natalia, I knew you would love the wool mattress pad.   I have the Natura wool pad and find it almost as nice.   I think the only difference is the stitching lines are a bit more noticeable in the Natura, but I don't feel them at all while sleeping.  Also, I think the mattress pad and a tight fitted bottom sheet change the feel of my latex slightly, but that is okay since it was a bit too soft for me sometimes and now it's close to perfect....haha.    I assume your "jersey" sheets are stretchy and also preserve the feel of the latex?
Reply #28 Jul 13, 2011 11:25 AM
Just saw this thread.

Are you guys replacing the original Tempurpedic velour cover that encases the foam with this wool mattress pad, or just putting the mattress pad over the Tempurpedic cover?  Are you then using a cotton sheet over the mattress pad?

Secondly, how thick is the mattress pad?  It seems that any real thickness would change the feel of the mattress significantly.

This message was modified Jul 13, 2011 by kalash
Reply #29 Jul 13, 2011 1:20 PM
Will this keep protect the mattress? Or is it just to isolate the sleeper?

Thanks

Recent Posts