Advice Needed for my DIY All Latex Project
May 17, 2011 12:38 AM
First post, great forum here with lots of information.  I've been reading for hours and feel I'm ready to post to get some advice specific to me.

About us - me, I'm 6'0" 170-175lbs, 38 y.o., mainly a stomach sleeper but usually flip to my back at some point during the night.  My wife is 5'0" 110-115lbs, 36 y.o., mainly a stomach sleeper, but also flips to her back some.  We both occasionally deal with low back pain usually brought on by our workouts.  We are sleeping on a 14 year old el-cheapo king inner spring mattress we bought early on in our marriage.  We have a very thick feather bed on top of our mattress.  My wife has been having pretty bad back pain lately, so I started our mattress replacement search.  One thing that helped us both last night is that I flipped our mattress for the first time in years and fluffed up the feather bed.  We both woke up this morning with our backs feeling better than usual. 

A friend of mine recently purchased the Skybed from habitatfurnishings.com, and he and his wife both love it.  We plan to go over and try their bed out just to get the feel of a latex bed before we make any final decisions, but he has convinced me to go the latex route.  Not loving the $2,600 price tag on that bed, I started searching which led me here.  I've now read enough posts, that I'm pretty sure I want to try to do a DIY setup with latex from thefoamfactory.com aka foambymail.com.  I'm all about saving dough, and I love doing things myself.

The Skybed from Habitat is 6" of Dunlop (26 ILD) with a 3" Talalay 19 ILD over it.  I read with great interest about Freedom1955's setup here:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/love-our-new-talalay-latex-mattress-foam-factory/18970-0-1.html  F1955 went with The Foam Factory setup as 6" 36 ILD, 2" 32 ILD, with 3" 20 ILD on top (all Talalay).  I'm considering setups similar to and in between these.  We are in Mississippi, so actually trying different configurations out will be impossible. 

With us used to the very plush feel of a thick feather bed, I do want to have some softness to our mattress.  However, since we both have back issues and are stomach/back sleepers, I also realize we shouldn't have something too soft.  I want to try to sleep on our new latex setup without any kind of toppers just to get the full benefits of the latex.   I've read alot about doing a split setup using Twin XL pieces so my wife and I can dial in our comfort.  However, my wife is not very picky, and she said she didn't want to hassle with a lot of combinations.  She asked me to pick out something that should work well for us both.

One question I have is on the base 6" being Talalay instead of Dunlop.  I know a lot of systems use the denser, firmer Dunlop for the base.  Do y'all see any problems with it being Talalay, especially if we go with the 36 ILD? 

I could set this bed up very similar to Habitat - 6" Talalay 36 ILD and 3" Talalay 20 ILD.  Do y'all think this would be a good setup for my wife and me given our profiles?  Here, I'm wondering if a 3" soft layer is too much for the stomach sleepers that we are?  Would we be better served with a 2" soft layer?  If so, should we consider changing the base down to the softer 29 ILD so the bed is not too firm?

What are the advantages of going with the 3 pieces as Freedom1955 did and is it worth the added cost?  If we went the 3 piece route, should we maybe go 6" 36 ILD, 2" 32 ILD, and 2" 20 ILD?  Again, thinking of moving down to 2" of the soft layer since we are stomach/back sleepers?  But moving from a thick featherbed, should we go with the 3" for the plush feel? 

Finally, should we replace our existing foundation that came with our cheap mattress that is 14 years old?  It is a platform type foundation (no actual box springs) but it does seem to have a little bit of padding on the top of it.  It appears to be level and in fine shape, but I'm not sure if this little bit of padding would be good under a latex mattress and if it is strong enough for the weight of 9" - 11" of latex.

Many thanks for any advice you all can share!

-Cliff

Re: Advice Needed for my DIY All Latex Project
Reply #10 May 19, 2011 10:24 PM
need2sleep636 wrote:

My order will be arriving Monday per FBM so if you haven't ordered before then I would let you know how the 2" layer feels to me

N2S, I may not order until next week, so I'd love to know your impressions when you get yours in.  Particularly of the overall quality of the stuff from FBM.

I went over tonight and tried my friend's Habitatfurnishings Skybed (6" Dunlop 26 ILD + 3" Talalay 19 ILD) which he has on conventional box springs.  My first impressions were that the bed feels very cushy and comfortable, but I could tell right away it would be too soft for me.  When I laid on my stomach as I do to fall asleep, I could feel that I was sinking in too much in the mid-section causing my back to arch too much.  Since the knock on the FBM latex is that it is not as soft as advertised, I'm now thinking that this will suite my preferences just right.

This is all starting to come together for me, and I've decided (for now) to go with this setup from FBM:  6" 36 ILD + 2" 32 ILD + 2" 20 ILD

It seems like the St. Dormier mattress protector is the way to go, and I'm trying to find the best price on that now.

I've decided to replace my foundation, and it looks like the slat construction is the most recommended.  Trying to find the best bang for the buck here, but am considering just building my own and putting a mattress protector around it for aesthetics.  My friend's latex mattress on boxsprings made the bed pretty bouncy.  Compared to my current mattress setup with a static foundation, I didn't really like the feel of the extra bounce.  

So far, I like the feel of the S&F mostly latex mattress that I referenced in my earlier post the best out of everything that I've laid on.  In fact, it is the only mattress I've laid on that feels appreciably better to me than my current mattress.  Of course, it is loaded with inferior foams that will break down in 2 to 5 years, so there is no way I'm going to go with it.  I'm hoping that my DIY FBM bed can replicate this solid, yet comfortable feel with the durability of all latex.

-Cliff  

Reply #11 May 27, 2011 1:03 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger with FBM today, ordering the following:

6" 36 ILD core + 2" 32 ILD mid-core + 2" 20 ILD topper (all 100% natural talalay), upgrade to 10" Terry cloth cover, at a cost of $1,216 total with free shipping.

I was going to order this foundation, but I'm now thinking of building my own.

Foundation (http://www.amazon.com/Thick-Foundation-memory-latex-mattresses/dp/B002RVCSRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305859732&sr=8-3): $229  or DIY. 

Mattress Pad/Protector:  St. Dormier from Flobeds $160 http://www.flobeds.com/product_details.htm?ID=2140EK  or one with more cushioning.  I'm going to test the bed first to see if I need more of a pillowtop feel or if I like the feel of sleeping just on the latex.  If so, I'll go with the St. Dormier.  If not, I'll go with something like this: http://www.cuddledown.com/product/mattress-pads-protectors/temp-regulating-pads-protectors/ultimate-comfort-bamboo-mattress-pad.

I'll post my results when I receive the order.

Thanks for all of the help here figuring out where to start.

-Cliff

This message was modified May 27, 2011 by TheLTFM
Reply #12 May 27, 2011 2:31 PM
I believe you will be more than satisfied with your order. $1200 for an all latex bed is a great deal. I'm anxious to here your feedback.
This message was modified May 27, 2011 by need2sleep636
Reply #13 May 27, 2011 2:44 PM
That sounds like a great choice.  Yes, let us know how you like it.  Your bed combo will become the DIY to copy.
Reply #14 May 28, 2011 4:34 PM
Update: I should have read the entire thread before responding, I see now that you've already decided. But since I wrote this I'll leave it for others who may be considering a DIY project with latex layers. My 2 centavos:

First of all, I would not buy a Sealy or Stearns latex mattress unless it is MUCH cheaper than buidling your own, which I doubt it could be. If anyone DOES buy an S Co. latex mattress be sure to read the Law Tag on the mattress which will tell you exactly the % of latex in it. Some mattress sales people will lie or are ignorant as to the specs, and the tag will tell the truth. I know S&F makes one that is 97% latex. I have seen 4 S&F latex mattresses and they range in latex from 87% to 97% latex. Synthetic latex, though; made by Sealy.

Now, as to making your own latex mattress. If "plush" is what you want I'd avoid Dunlop altogether. Dunlop is like a hard rubber floormat. That said, I am sleeping on a 2 ½ inch Dunlop layer under 2" of Talalay and it has been good for awhile though now I'm having issues with it. I have it on top of a bowed-wood foundation that gives it a little "spring" which I have always needed; I can't sleep on just pure latex without springs or something like springs. I have experimented with various DIY mattresses using Sealy and Englander springs for the base but I think my problem was that I used only cheap springs, never good ones. My next project will involve pocket coils under latex. At first I hated the Dunlop, it was way too firm/hard; it's the opposite of "plush". But as a base layer now I'm okay with it. Though whether it is optimal or not, I don't know.

If money is no object, I'd go with a Flobeds or a similar returnable latex mattress. Why? Because not everyone can sleep on latex without springs. My wife and I hate any foam mattress without springs under it. We tried Flobeds and were happy to be able to return it without any problems - just some shipping costs. And while your wife may not want the hassle of changing layers etc. since the weight difference is so wide between you, I think it would behoove you to give her a softer side and you a firmer side. And IF she doesn't like it, then you at least have an option to change it.

In my opinion the feather bed is giving you back pain. Feather beds - like memory foam - feel great, but provide little or no support.

Latex should have slats under it, not a solid piece of wood. The opinions on this vary but the guy from flobeds said he highly recommends slats to avoid any breathability/mold problems. I also believe that slats should help counter the potential for the latex to sleep too hot. That said, I have used latex and other foams directly on the floor and never had a problem with it. But if you do go with a non-slatted foundation check it at least once a month for moisture and mold.

If money is an issue like it is for many of us, then by all means build your own. In that case, I recommend buying a couple king size layers - they're usually cheaper that way (as opposed to 2 Twin XL layers) and buy them in 2 ILD's, like for example a 36 ILD 2" piece and a 32 ILD 2" piece. That way you can mix and match, put the 32ILD on top for one feel and the 36ILD on top for the other feel. Then on top of that you can put a 24ILD 1" piece over a 38ILD 1" piece. These 4 combinations give you a lot of flexibility in creating different feels. You may want to use those 4 pieces over a core that could be HR foam or latex, something firmer such as 36 or 38ILD. But the problem with DIY layers is that you're stuck with them, you can't return them if you decide you hate latex or bought the wrong kind or wrong ILD's. We have a closet full of memory foam and HR foam that we acquired in this manner. I keep thinking I should throw them out...

This all depends on how finicky a sleeper you might be. If you're the type who can sleep on anything then just buy something easy like a CostCo latex mattress that can be returned if you don't like it and make it easy on yourself! However if you feel you will need to adjust your mattress to find just the right feel(s), then you will want to buy something like a returnable Flobed or buy layers as I mentioned and cut them into halves, for 2 twin long sides of your bed, one for you and one for your wife. Then you can also add an inch of super soft ILD latex in a Twin Long piece and one of you may like it and one of you may not. Then if both of you like it, buy a 2nd one... See my thread in the Sticky section for how to cut latex.

This message was modified May 28, 2011 by jimsocal
Reply #15 May 28, 2011 9:24 PM
jimsocal wrote:

But the problem with DIY layers is that you're stuck with them, you can't return them if you decide you hate latex or bought the wrong kind or wrong ILD's. We have a closet full of memory foam and HR foam that we acquired in this manner. I keep thinking I should throw them out...

jimsocal, thanks so much for the in-depth info.  One thing that I wanted to point out is that FBM does have a "30 day 100% Guarantee." 

Here are the details of the Guarantee:

"Exclusively for Latex Mattresses & Toppers
Guarantee: The Guarantee starts from the ship date (or invoice date for pickups). If a return is made, there will be a 100% product refund, minus any shipping and handling charges. Guarantee not valid for in-store pickup and is subject to a 25% restocking fee. The product must be returned in a like new condition. The Guarantee will be void if the product is resized or reshaped."

I inquired with a CSR there, and she confirmed by e-mail that typically they waive the 25% restocking fee if the item is returned in good condition.  So, while I'll have some cost to return, I'm not stuck with these pieces if we don't like how it sleeps.  Granted, this return policy is no where near as robust as flobeds or others, but at less than half the cost, it is a more than fair trade-off IMO.

Reply #16 May 28, 2011 9:45 PM
Although Jim makes valid points, TheLTFM has a great configuration and IMO it will be copied often.

Reply #17 May 29, 2011 3:55 PM
need2sleep636 wrote:

Although Jim makes valid points, TheLTFM has a great configuration and IMO it will be copied often.

I agree that TheLTFM has a great configuration and it is as good as any for others to try. I did not read the whole thread and was just answering the first post without having read the rest. Really it's all about what feel a person is looking for and by reading the options here on this forum they can probably "intuit" what to try.

Reply #19 May 30, 2011 1:36 PM
TheLTFM wrote:

And giving credit where credit is due, as I mentioned and linked in my first post, I am basically copying Freedom1955's DIY from FBM that he posted about here:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/love-our-new-talalay-latex-mattress-foam-factory/18970-0-1.html

I modified the top layer to 2" where he used 3" since my wife and I are stomach/back sleepers. 

Hi TheLFM,

Thanks for the credit! I was reading your post and noticed you bought close to the same setup as ours!  We've had ours close to a month now and look forward to going to sleep each night on HEAVEN! No more backaches. We still have the soft 3" topper on the 2" medium topper over the firm 6"  mattress. I though it might be to soft but it works fine for us in this configuration. If I slept on my stomach more I would try the medium over the soft topper to firm it up a little.

Just curious if you delt with Sarah over at FBM?

I hope you like your new Talalay latex mattress and toppers from FBM as much as we do.

Freedom1955

Recent Posts