Adjustable Latex Bed at Costco
Apr 5, 2010 12:31 AM
Ouch
I've been reading the threads here for a few months, ever since we began considering a new bed. I thought it was about time I registered and posted, as I saw an product at Costco.com that piqued my interest. And, I was wondering what the members here thought of it, based on the following info:

It's a motorized adjustable split King latex bed. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11518816
Full Brochure here: http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/PDF/11518406.pdf

-Both the motorized base and the mattress appear to be made by Leggett & Platt, http://www.natures-caress.com/ 
-The base is the S-Cape model with the DC motor, massage, and wireless remote options. 
-The mattress is two-sided for soft or firm usage, with 3 layers of latex, and two layers of what I assume is PU foam. 
-The latex is Latex International Talalay, according to the PDF available at the L&P Nature's Caress link: http://www.natures-caress.com/ (Click on "Natures Caress Latex PDF" button)
-There are 3 layers of latex, 6" 32ILD Core, 2" 24ILD on the "soft" side, 2" 40ILD on the "firm" side. (with an add'l 1" each of soft and firm foam, which I assume is PU, on their respective sides.)

$4500 is definitely a lot of scratch for a bed. OTOH, the one Tempurpedic model that we liked in the store, Rhapsody, is $8200 for the same size with motorized base! (Holy crap!)

I know that Costco had the Sleep Science Latex motorized bed last month that cost substantially less. They also have the SS memory foam Emma adjustable bed now for much less. But, the L&P latex mattress definitely seems like a better mat than the Emma . And, the L&P base seems better than either Sleep Science Memory or Latex adjustables (wall-hugger, and US vs China made). So, it seems like a classic case of getting what you pay for. (Although, I could be wrong.)

Also, I have a bit of a problem in regards to my wife. She really liked the TP Rhapsody compared to the Latex mats they had at the store, which were Vera Wang by Serta. I was under the impression that the Vera Wangs were pretty good Latex mats. But, quite frankly, they felt a lot like spring mats. Although, I did like the firmest one. Does anybody know of a high quality mainstream Latex mat that is carried by the major retailers that we could try? I'd rather get latex. So, I'd like to find one that would help me convince her that we should try this latex adjustable from Costco.

This message was modified Apr 5, 2010 by garypen
Re: Adjustable Latex Bed at Costco
Reply #12 Apr 7, 2010 3:03 AM
Leo3 wrote:

I thought Vera Wang was all synthetic latex?

You asked about mattresses that were latex that you could try locally.  There are Natura organic mattresses that are recommended by Budgy (our resident mattress saleperson/expert) as they don't have any PU foam or Boric Acid).   Not sure if you have a mattress store that sells them nearby.  Not sure of return policies.

Do you have a Savy Rest nearby?  Google them for locations.  Some people like those.  At least with those you can change the layers around, but you can return it.  You can only exchange Dunlop for Talalay, no returns.

Hi Leo,
I don't know about all the Vera Wangs. This is pretty close to the one Sleep Train carries, it does have some PU foam in it.

ABOUT THIS MATTRESS
Expert Review By Rich
The three lowest priced Latex mattresses in this line all feel about the same. This model is substantially better than the other two. It adds a thick layer of latex foam in the quilting.

Expand to Keep Reading
[+]

Comfort Quilt - Top of Mattress Comfort - Padding Layers Mattress Build-Out Correct Back Support System Foundation Mattress Set Height Information Warranty Compare all Latex Mattresses

I didn't see any Nutura beds on display in our area, though they are available through Sears online.  No Savy Rest either sad. Most of the stores here carry only the usual S brands, Englander, Aireloom and TP. I couldn't even find the Sealy TrueForm you owned... glad I didn't after hearing your experience with it.
This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #13 Apr 7, 2010 3:24 AM
Ouch

Leo - My wife and I are "middle-aged". (If we live to be 100, that is.) Our bed is a 12 year-old queen Sealy firm innerspring, originally purchased from Costco. It looks and feels like it did on the day it was delivered. No dips, lumps, coil noise, etc. It's still flat and firm. It's topped with a memory foam topper for the last 5 years or so, also purchased at Costco. It's probably Novaform, and looks like 2". It's quite soft and acts more like a pillow top than body-hugging MF, so it's probably 3.x lb density.

We have no mattress-related pain, per se. I do wake-up with occasion whole-body stiffness, which is alleviated after a few minutes in the shower. But, we do have pillow-related neck pain which we are working on. I also have a delicate lower back due to a disc that easily goes out of whack and gets inflamed. Sleeping on my stomach does aggravate it. But, I have learned to sleep on my back or side, which completely avoids it. 

Believe it or not, our original reason for wanting a new bed is for the space. Our two-year-old golden retriever likes to sleep with us, and we enjoy having her. But, there's just not enough room to sleep comfortably, unless she's in just the right position. So, it's time for a bigger bed, king or cal king. And, while we're at it, one that is more comfortable, and may help with the moderate comfort/pain issues we have. And, ever since trying one at the store last weekend, we also want one with dual adjustable foundations too. It's an absolutely amazing thing that never interested me until actually trying it. I think that will also help with some of our neck/pillow issues.

We both like very firm support, with a bit of softness on top. With her, I imagine it's due to the fact that she's Japanese, and quite used to sleeping on what we would call a comforter (they call it a futon, not to be confused with what we call a futon) placed on the floor. With me, it's because, even though I am American, I enjoyed lay ingon a comforter on the floor while watching the color TV in the living room as a child. That enjoyment continues to this day, when I still often take naps on the floor. 

As a young adult I slept on a foam mattress, as that is what my mother bought at the advice of her doctor and chiropractor. She had it quite a while before she handed it down to me. And, even though it was quite used by the time I got it, it was the best mattress I slept on. I assume it was PU. I doubt it was latex. And, it definitely wasn't MF.  So, I would like to get foam this time, and probably latex due to its many positive attributes beyond just the comfort factor.

BTW, according to the Serta website, the Vera Wang latex matts use Talalay from Latex International. Isn't the LI latex natural or at worst a blend? Their latex does seem pretty highly regarded by a lot of forum members.

Good luck in your search, as well. It sounds like MF may not be for you, judging from your experiences with it. Maybe you should bite the bullet and try going all latex from a vendor that offers money back guarantee. That Sleep Science latex on costco.com looks like an incredible bargain.
This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by garypen
Reply #14 Apr 7, 2010 3:29 AM
garypen wrote:

Natalia - #1 has always been my #1 choice, as well. But, even with Costco's excellent return policy, I'm still having a hard time convincing her.

I was also already considering #2. But, even with the guarantee, TP's prices are kinda steep. I suppose I could buy the motorized frame locally. But, $5K is a lot for the matts alone.

Thanks for the tip about Sleep Train. I thought all the chain stores had only exchange guarantees. It's good to know one has a money-back guarantee. OTOH, ST's prices were pretty steep. Looks like full MSRP on everything. Do they haggle like the others?

Gary, I forgot to tell you Mattress Discounters is owned by Sleep Train. MD has better prices but no money back, and only a 60 night trial with one time comfort exchange. If you buy from one, you're automatically in the computer on the other.

Sleep Train will haggle a bit and they do have good sales, but of course not on TP. And you're right ...TP, especially in the size you're looking at, is a huge amount of money!

I'm not sure what you have locally in San Jose. If you haven't already, Leo has a good idea about Googling to see if there are any smaller stores with a more varied selection. You may just find a latex mattress for your wife to check out, like, and give you a green light on the Costco L&P. smiley

This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #15 Apr 7, 2010 3:37 AM
Ouch
There's a local chain with 3 stores called Famous Mattress. It gets rave reviews on Yelp. I was thinking of checking it out. 
Reply #16 Apr 7, 2010 4:57 PM
I would keep your mattress in a spare room when you get a new one, you will be glad you did later.  Is it an old flippable one?  Definitely do not get rid of it.  I am glad I didn't get rid of my old flippable one, even though I still have hip pain.

Your Golden Retriever definitely needs a bigger bed, LOL, so see if you can get him one without fire retardants that are toxic.  I obviously am an animal lover that worries more about my pets than me laugh

I would try to convince your wife that latex is healthier and that memory foam is too toxic and breaks down.  I just went to Epinions and my review is still there, and there are some that are negative ones like mine, but some that love them.  My conclusion is most of those reviews are written when they are new and love them.  When I read a negative review it is 6 months down the road.  I wish people would have the decency to write and update their reviews when they go downhill.  The other factor is some  people can sleep in holes and on rocks (my husband) and so they don't complain.  They are so lucky.

The Vera Wang sounds like too much PU foam, avoid it.  Look at small mattress retailers they may carry Natura.  Make sure it is organic, otherwise there will be boric acid and 1" or more of PU foam.  Make sure there isn't a Savy Rest mattress retailer, you would be surprise some stores do carry them.  There is one way on the other side of town I may go look at sometime (pretty far away).

I too am torn between an adjustable bed frame or a Euro Slat frame (one that gives and allegedly prevents pressure points).  Personally I am still thinking of purchasing my own latex layers.  After all I already have 5 1/2" of latex and a 1 1/2" wool topper.  I just need SOMETHING that I don't know yet.  That missing link.  Maybe it is that Euro slat frame, or maybe a firmer latex layer.

I too am middle aged, sigh, I use to be 20 once and probably could have slept on a rock then.....

This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #17 Apr 8, 2010 1:41 AM
Ouch
Leo3 wrote:

Your Golden Retriever definitely needs a bigger bed, LOL, 

Yeah. Unfortunately, she's between jobs right now. So, I have to pay for it.

And, these guys need room too!

This message was modified Apr 8, 2010 by garypen
Reply #18 Apr 8, 2010 1:55 AM
Now they know how to get comfortable  yes

If only we could get that comfortable. They sure are adorable.

I found a place that sells Natura http://www.naturallyorganicsleep.com/ that is in your area (I think).  I search at Natura website and that was the closest.  I doubt they list all retailers though.

I found this that looks really inviting.  http://estore.websitepros.com/2031092/Detail.bok?no=58 an adjustable frame that has flexible slats ($1600).  The best of both of what I wanted. I can dream.....  Then they have a latex mattress http://estore.websitepros.com/2031092/Detail.bok?no=59 ($3,337.50).  Queen size.  I think Sears has this but it is called Eco Haven II I believe.  Not sure though, their description isn't the best.  Sears takes returns, hmmm......

Oops I forgot you wanted Kingsize, never mind cool.  I think they only make this in Queen and twin? This place in CA has Kingsize for $1697 http://www.healthybedstore.com/naadba1.html

Here is the picture of the slatted adjustable frame.

This message was modified Apr 8, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #19 Apr 8, 2010 2:31 PM
Ouch
That $1627 is for a Twin XL, which is half of a King. (The half CalKing is even more.) So, it's at least $3200 for a split King foundation. Yikes. I've also been checking out Natura prices online, and they are also sky high a la Tempurpedic. 

I think I'm gonna try that Costco L&P adjustable latex set to start. If it works out, that's great! If not, I can return it for refund, and go from there. I don't have the bitter hatred of polyurethane that you do. After all, it's held up fine as outer layer padding on my 12 year-old Sealy spring matt. And, that is the way it's used on this matt.

I will let everybody know of my initial impressions when it is delivered. And, my full review after sleeping on it for a while. (I'll be sure to post more cute animal pics, as well.)

Reply #20 Apr 8, 2010 4:20 PM
Please do let us know how it goes.

Make sure your Golden Retriever gets to try the mattress first wink and take his picture to show us.  If you can take the mattress picture that would help some undecided folks.  I always find the pictures on the web not big enough or not enough detail.

Please let us know 6 months or a year later if you love it still.  Best and happy dreams on your new mattress.

Reply #21 Apr 9, 2010 1:42 PM
Gary, congrats on your decision! I'm looking forward to the mattress reveiw. I already know you're going to love the adjustable. Your dog is beautiful, and the kitties are adorable. My two kitties love it when I put the bed in the Zero Gravity position. They both settle right on the raised foot and cuddle up for the night as if they're queens of the mountain.smiley

Can't wait to hear how it works for you,

Natalie

Recent Posts