Adjustable Latex Bed at Costco
Apr 5, 2010 12:31 AM
Ouch
I've been reading the threads here for a few months, ever since we began considering a new bed. I thought it was about time I registered and posted, as I saw an product at Costco.com that piqued my interest. And, I was wondering what the members here thought of it, based on the following info:

It's a motorized adjustable split King latex bed. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11518816
Full Brochure here: http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/PDF/11518406.pdf

-Both the motorized base and the mattress appear to be made by Leggett & Platt, http://www.natures-caress.com/ 
-The base is the S-Cape model with the DC motor, massage, and wireless remote options. 
-The mattress is two-sided for soft or firm usage, with 3 layers of latex, and two layers of what I assume is PU foam. 
-The latex is Latex International Talalay, according to the PDF available at the L&P Nature's Caress link: http://www.natures-caress.com/ (Click on "Natures Caress Latex PDF" button)
-There are 3 layers of latex, 6" 32ILD Core, 2" 24ILD on the "soft" side, 2" 40ILD on the "firm" side. (with an add'l 1" each of soft and firm foam, which I assume is PU, on their respective sides.)

$4500 is definitely a lot of scratch for a bed. OTOH, the one Tempurpedic model that we liked in the store, Rhapsody, is $8200 for the same size with motorized base! (Holy crap!)

I know that Costco had the Sleep Science Latex motorized bed last month that cost substantially less. They also have the SS memory foam Emma adjustable bed now for much less. But, the L&P latex mattress definitely seems like a better mat than the Emma . And, the L&P base seems better than either Sleep Science Memory or Latex adjustables (wall-hugger, and US vs China made). So, it seems like a classic case of getting what you pay for. (Although, I could be wrong.)

Also, I have a bit of a problem in regards to my wife. She really liked the TP Rhapsody compared to the Latex mats they had at the store, which were Vera Wang by Serta. I was under the impression that the Vera Wangs were pretty good Latex mats. But, quite frankly, they felt a lot like spring mats. Although, I did like the firmest one. Does anybody know of a high quality mainstream Latex mat that is carried by the major retailers that we could try? I'd rather get latex. So, I'd like to find one that would help me convince her that we should try this latex adjustable from Costco.

This message was modified Apr 5, 2010 by garypen
Re: Adjustable Latex Bed at Costco
Reply #22 Apr 16, 2010 11:10 PM
Looking to purchase this combo set also. Would like to follow your experiences.  Seems to be one of the better prices for both an adjustable bed and a latex mattress.
Reply #23 Apr 24, 2010 9:32 PM
Ouch
As it turns out, I ended up buying a different split King adjustable set today from a small local chain called Famous Mattress. It is a Vera Wang Latex Firm with a Tempurpedic adjustable base. The total price was a "reasonable" $5000 including tax, delivery, and two Tempurpedic pillows, which are normally about $300 alone.

My wife preferred the Tempurpedic Bellafina, which was also my new favorite of the Tempurpedics. (I liked it better than the Rhapsody, which was my previous favorite Tempurpedic.) But, she compromised with the firmest latex they had. According to the Serta website, they use Latex International talalay. So, I'm not worried about the quality of the latex. I would like to find out the exact construction of the layers, though.

If we don't like it, we do have 90 days for an exchange. But, I think the only alternative for us will be the Bellafina for $1800 more. Luckily, they discount TP. If they charged full MSRP, it would be about $2800 more! 

So, I won't be able to report on the Costco adjustable latex. Sorry. But, on the bright side, I can offer my experience with this big S latex matt.

Reply #24 Apr 25, 2010 12:00 AM
I will also not be getting the costco bed.  I am sure it is a fine bed, but not being able to get inside the mattress or doing anything with the latex layers was really a letdown for me.  I have since purchased a set of twin xl scape adjustable bases for $1900 shipped and will see if I can get a mattress from flobed or sleepez depending on sales and final price for each.  For a similar style flobed we are looking at about 700 less than the costco price including tax.   Finding the adjustable bases at a reasonable price has opended up many options.
Reply #25 Apr 25, 2010 2:26 AM
Ouch
That sounds like a great deal on the s-cape base! If I was gonna go e-tailer, I think I'd choose Sleep-ez. Lower base price and no tax. (Flo-beds is in CA, iirc.) Good luck, whatever you choose!
Reply #26 Apr 25, 2010 5:17 AM
I think I will try to get Flobeds to pricematch, but that is a discussion of another topic.
This message was modified Apr 25, 2010 by black88mx6

Recent Posts