2" Latex Toppers at Costco, $99.99 shipped for Queen size
Mar 1, 2010 7:49 PM
Just happened to do a search for "latex" stuff on their website and saw there.  They weren't there on Saturday, so must be a very new product.  Includes a 100% cotton cover, though it's VERY cheap compared to pretty much everywhere else on the 'net.  Claims to be made in the USA, but doesn't say what ILD OR even what type of latex.  Just ordered one since I have a Costco nearby, at worst I don't like it and I'm out the $10 in tax.  I'll throw a review up on here when I get it.

(Link isn't working for me, but if you search for "Latex" at Costco.com you'll see it)
This message was modified Mar 1, 2010 by SleeperWA
Re: 2" Latex Toppers at Costco, $99.99 shipped for Queen size
Reply #18 Mar 4, 2010 2:33 PM
That is GREAT info zzzombie, thanks for posting it.  It turned out my order didn't go through for it due to a typing error I made on my billing info, kind of glad now.  Not only is that ILD likely way too soft for me, but the product sounds pretty sketchy based on their responses.  Will probably just have to bite the bullet and get it from Rocky Mountain Mattress or take the risk with Sunset Medical Supply and their "Talatech" product.  Thanks again!
Reply #19 Mar 4, 2010 4:44 PM
Their rating for this topper looks more like a memory foam rating.

I have an order with RMM for a medium plush LI topper, that I'm not going to cancel.
This message was modified Mar 4, 2010 by zzzombie
Reply #20 Mar 5, 2010 2:58 AM
zzzombie wrote:
Comfort Impressions™ is a trademark of Sleep Innovations. What's really frustrating is They don't have any information about this product on their website. I called them and a rep said it was not their product @ costco.  Seems as if someone at costco or Sleep Innovations is lacking information.

A couple days ago I put in an email to costco to find out more about this item.
Costco's response. item 508690 SI LATEX QUEEN TOPPER
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Costco.com regarding this item.  I have contacted the vendor for the information you requested.  Please see below for their response.

1.      What is the ILD rating of this topper?  10-14 lbs 

2.      Is it 100% natural or blended Latex?  Synthetic latex 

3.      Is it produced via Dunlop or Talalay process?  Neither... The latex is blended into the foam on a continuous Max foam line.

4.      Is the topper free of fire retardant chemicals?  Yes 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleep Innovations sells memory foam toppers and maybe this costco topper is a memory foam mixup, or some new type of latex.

Where's Budgy? What the heck does "blended into the foam on a continuous Max foam line" mean???
Reply #21 Mar 5, 2010 12:37 PM
Haha, thanks for PMing me Jim.  I have been a little busy at work and just haven't been reading every thread on here like I was doing for a while. 

I have heard of continuous process before, I believe it must be either specific for 100% synthetic latex production or any kind of polyurethane foam production. 

I don't know exactly how it works but its the quickest way to make large quantities of foam since it literally is running down a line.  I believe that is how Sealy makes their 100% synthetic latex cores as well.  In any event I wouldn't buy any 100% synthetic latex.
Reply #22 Mar 5, 2010 2:38 PM
zzzombie wrote:
Their rating for this topper looks more like a memory foam rating.

I have an order with RMM for a medium plush LI topper, that I'm not going to cancel.

When you get your RMM latex, please review.  Thanks.
Reply #23 Mar 5, 2010 6:40 PM
budgy wrote:
Haha, thanks for PMing me Jim.  I have been a little busy at work and just haven't been reading every thread on here like I was doing for a while. 

I have heard of continuous process before, I believe it must be either specific for 100% synthetic latex production or any kind of polyurethane foam production. 

I don't know exactly how it works but its the quickest way to make large quantities of foam since it literally is running down a line.  I believe that is how Sealy makes their 100% synthetic latex cores as well.  In any event I wouldn't buy any 100% synthetic latex.
Thanks Budgy. That means I won't buy this CostCo latex, at least not unless I hear some great reviews from those who do try it.
Reply #24 Mar 15, 2010 11:53 AM
To save everyone the hassel of buying this deceptively advertised piece of junk from Costco, i'll share my thoughts. I bought a king size one from Costco and then returned it immediately. On the very bottom of the box in the smallest font print it says 98% polyurethrane foam, 2% latex foam. So essentially, this is another memory foam topper with 2% latex. Don't waste your time. Good thing Costco has the best return policy in the business as they paid for shipping both ways to return this mess.
Reply #25 Mar 20, 2010 12:59 PM
Thanks for the update & for saving me the hassle. 
Reply #26 Mar 20, 2010 6:23 PM
SleeperWA wrote:

Just happened to do a search for "latex" stuff on their website and saw there.  They weren't there on Saturday, so must be a very new product.  Includes a 100% cotton cover, though it's VERY cheap compared to pretty much everywhere else on the 'net.  Claims to be made in the USA, but doesn't say what ILD OR even what type of latex.  Just ordered one since I have a Costco nearby, at worst I don't like it and I'm out the $10 in tax.  I'll throw a review up on here when I get it.

(Link isn't working for me, but if you search for "Latex" at Costco.com you'll see it)

I wrote them to ask questions but will be somewhat surprised if I get many or any answers.

Here's the link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11526981&search=latex%20topper&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=latex%20topper&Ntt=latex%20topper&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

It's $125 for a King which means I can cut it down the middle and get 2 x Twins for $62.50 each, that's a real bargain, UNLESS it's just crappy synthetic latex. I'm hoping for LI made, with a "soft" ILD, but I wont' hold my breath.

UDPATE: 4:13 PM Saturday, March 20, 2010  

OOOPS! I think this was a case of my thinking this was a new post, and my not seeing the entire thread. I thought it was a new post with only 1 reply! I see now. Man, that is TOTALLY MISLEADING! If I get an answer from them I'm going to admonish them for advertising it as latex!

This message was modified Mar 20, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #27 Mar 25, 2010 4:14 PM
Before I realized ZZZombie had already gotten to the bottom of this (I didn't see his post due to the forum not showing the whole thread!), I wrote CostCo about this product. I got back basically the same info he/she got, above:

"

1) What ILD or firmness is the latex?   12 to 16 IFD

2) Who makes it? Latex International, Latex Green... or ?   We (Sleep Innovations) make it in our plant in West Chicago  .

3) Is it Talalay or Dunlop processed latex?   Neither... we pour it on our continuous Max Foam Line.

4) Is it natural or synthetic or a blend?   It is synthetic latex blended in with Visco elastic chemistry.

So, I wrote this back to CostCo:

"Thank you very much for the info.
Scott, please bring this to the attention of the head of your Bedding Dept. and/or your VP of Marketing:

It is totally misleading and could be construed as outright dishonest to call this product "latex". Latex is not mixed with memory foam! If they want to call it something else with the word latex in it, such as memory foam with latex or latex with memory foam or whatever, that is fine. But calling it latex is likely to get you a LOT of returns because people expect a product called "latex" to BE latex.

Thank you for your attention to this matter."

He wrote back saying he would forward the info to the "appropriate parties". I know sometimes that means "sending it to the Office of the Circular File". wink

If they don't change the description of this item within a month or so, I may write a more forceful complaint, demanding they stop using "false advertising". I don't like the idea of anything with visco foam in it being called "latex"!

Recent Posts