Need Advice
Aug 19, 2011 3:46 PM
I'm in the market for a new mattress.  My wife and I have had a S&F for 8 years that we like.  However, we're changing beds and decided to get a new mattress at the same time.  We're both side sleepers and found (when we first got the S&F) that a pretty plush mattress is most comfortable for us. 

This past week, we visited the local Mattress Firm and tried out several of the plusher S&F's.  My wife like the Fiona pillow-top best.  I preferred the Abbey Lynn and Fiona plush (both of which were a little firmer that the Fiona pillow-top but still plenty plush).  However, the mattress we actually liked the best was the TempurPedic Cloud Luxe.  That surprised me.  I had typically found the TP mattresses too firm. 

Anyway, I've got two basic issues with the TP.  First, I don't want to spend $4K on a mattress.  At least with a S&F mattress, they go on sale.  Second, I'm a little concerned by what I've read about "off-gassing" and "toxic fumes" coming from TP mattresses (actually, I guess the claim is made about all mattrasses that contain certain materials and/or are treated with ceratin fire retardant chemicals).  So here are my questions:

1) What mattresses would be comparable in feel to the TP Cloud Luxe.  Except for the toxicity question, I'm pretty much agnostic about brand or even type.  If it's well made and comfortable, I'll be happy - especially if it isn't so expensive.  Again, both my wife and I are side sleepers and find plusher mattress with underlying support is most comfortable.

2) Is there any reliable evidence one way or the other on the toxicity issue.  I'm a sceptic and while I've seen many web sites dedicated the dangers of "toxic mattresses", I haven't seen anything that is really based on science. 

Thanks!

This message was modified Aug 19, 2011 by SHPMattress
Re: Need Advice
Reply #1 Aug 19, 2011 4:21 PM
Regarding the toxicity, there is plenty of information on the individual chemicals or chemical compounds used in making regular polyfoams (as well as their combustion modifiers).  The only thing lacking is a proper long term study on the effects of these chemicals specifically coming from mattresses.  This would be a really expensive and extremely difficult kind of experiment to keep under control.  

Some quick reading on formaldehyde, PBDE's, CFC's.....you will quickly learn that some of these things are incredibly nasty. The other thing is that manufacturers are not legally obligated to list what they are using as a fire retardant either in the foams or in the covers. Polyfoam and polyester fibres are basically what most mass produced beds are made out of.  By default these materials already off-gas without the use of chemical fire retardants, however because they are made out of hydrocarbons they are extremely flammable and legally they cannot pass without something being added, usually formaldehyde is the chemical of choice because it is inexpensive.  PBDE's are rarely used in polyurethane foam manufactured in north america now because over the last 10 years in particular there is a lot more widespread knowledge of the long term bio accumulative effects of these compounds.  CFC's are also more rarely used now.  But can still be in small amounts.

Reply #2 Aug 19, 2011 6:22 PM
Budgy:

Thanks for the quick response.  I'd like to believe the manufacturers were being careful with the chemicals, but I know that may not be the case (and in some cases, they may be required by law/regulation to include them).  Is there truly a "safe" mattress option or at least a "safer" option?

(Note to Consumr Product Safety Commission & FDA:  Hey Guys, people are spending about a third of their lives on mattresses.  Maybe it'd be a good idea to do some testing on them.  Hmmm?)

Reply #3 Aug 19, 2011 7:33 PM
Just use caution with the Cloud Luxe ... it is quite a plush mattress.  If you are sinking in too much, it will get to your back / neck after a few weeks.  I just went through that with 4 weeks on an iComfort Revolution memory foam mattress (Serta). 

The smelliest bedding I've experienced so far are memory foam toppers and some pillows.  Carpenter Co. makes a ton of memory foam pillows and toppers.  I boght a 'Martha Stewart' branded mem foam pillow, by Carpenter, and it smelled terrible.  I had it airing out, but it just smushed down to little anyway.  I returned it.

I bought a Sleep Innovations 2" memory foam topper and that thing stunk pretty bad out of the box.  The smell tends to make me feel a little funny.  I don't have any data on how long it takes for the smell to go away because I've usually returned them quickly.

-------------------

About Tempurpedic, I've bought a few of their pillows - Symphony, Suprima and tell ya what, I haven't noticed very bad smells with them

IMO, Tempurpedic definitely makes some quality products.  There's a reason they don't discount and they can afford the big dollar commercials every night at 6 pm.  .... they are selling a bucket load of mattresses and customer are keeping them.  I believe they 90 day return policy, so if customers didn't like them, they would get returned a lot, but apprently they are not.

Cloud Supreme is also plush, that might be a better way to go.

This message was modified Aug 19, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #4 Aug 20, 2011 9:01 PM
Sleep and rest!
You are not going to find any evidence based on science. This industry will not provide you with what you are looking for. Most people who work in the bedding Industry have very little knowledge of chemistry and foam formulations.

If you want to know more about the ingredients that go into foam and its fabrication, you may need books published by Dow, Dupont Bayer, BASF etc...

You could also Google the Polyurethane foam Association on line. They have a quite a few research papers.

After that, and once you have a better knowledge of what chemicals are blended together and what types of foam exist, you may want to study the hundreds of patents written on foam to date since the Germans invented it during WW1.

Ask a bedding professional if polyurethane foam contains urethane…I bet he/she will answer yes!! This is the first misconception. It does not.

If you like the feel of the Tempur cloud deluxe, do the following and save yourself some hard earned cash.

Got to Costco and buy a "Sleep Innovations" 12" mattress. Said mattress contains 3" of soft 4 lb density memory foam on top. Moreover this foam has an elarged cell structure which affords greater airflow. The nick name of this foam is "KOOL COMFORT"

Serta in particular use this foam.

Stearns an Foster is Sealy. Like Toyota and Lexus, are made by the same company, S&F is simply their top of the line beds. You do not have to spend that kind of money to be comfortable, unless the fact of spending more money makes you feel good.

If you really feel that emory foam beds are unsafe or toxic, I suggest a latex bed.

A solid core of latex will last years. Whereas memory foam will start losing its memory as soon as its made. Memory foam degrades quite rapidly. It does feel amazing though !

Recent Posts