Need Advice
Aug 19, 2011 3:46 PM
I'm in the market for a new mattress.  My wife and I have had a S&F for 8 years that we like.  However, we're changing beds and decided to get a new mattress at the same time.  We're both side sleepers and found (when we first got the S&F) that a pretty plush mattress is most comfortable for us. 

This past week, we visited the local Mattress Firm and tried out several of the plusher S&F's.  My wife like the Fiona pillow-top best.  I preferred the Abbey Lynn and Fiona plush (both of which were a little firmer that the Fiona pillow-top but still plenty plush).  However, the mattress we actually liked the best was the TempurPedic Cloud Luxe.  That surprised me.  I had typically found the TP mattresses too firm. 

Anyway, I've got two basic issues with the TP.  First, I don't want to spend $4K on a mattress.  At least with a S&F mattress, they go on sale.  Second, I'm a little concerned by what I've read about "off-gassing" and "toxic fumes" coming from TP mattresses (actually, I guess the claim is made about all mattrasses that contain certain materials and/or are treated with ceratin fire retardant chemicals).  So here are my questions:

1) What mattresses would be comparable in feel to the TP Cloud Luxe.  Except for the toxicity question, I'm pretty much agnostic about brand or even type.  If it's well made and comfortable, I'll be happy - especially if it isn't so expensive.  Again, both my wife and I are side sleepers and find plusher mattress with underlying support is most comfortable.

2) Is there any reliable evidence one way or the other on the toxicity issue.  I'm a sceptic and while I've seen many web sites dedicated the dangers of "toxic mattresses", I haven't seen anything that is really based on science. 

Thanks!

This message was modified Aug 19, 2011 by SHPMattress

Recent Posts