I found the best mattress! Thanks for all your help!
Jan 18, 2010 3:44 PM
I lurked on this site for months attempting to find the best mattress. It has been almost a year since I found said mattress, so I have been feeling guilty that I haven't reported back to this community. I purchased our new kingsize bed from flobeds, and it is 100% latex. It is a total dream to sleep on. When I travel to great hotels and sleep in the beds they offer, it makes me realize how incredibly lucky we are to have found our bed, which puts all others to shame. It is hard to describe the sensation of sleeping on it. My body seems perfectly suspended as if I'm buoyant and am being lifted up or floating on air. There are no pressure points. My husband and I sleep so much better. He has never been a good sleeper before but now gets lots more rest. On our old spring mattress, I used to awaken sometimes with my hands or arms numb, but no more. I worked with Dewey at flobeds, and he nailed the exact combination of firmness levels for us the first time. Don't be put off if their system seems complicated at first. The bed was easy to assemble and is only 20 inches high so that our dogs can jump on and off easily without hurting themselves.  I found on another web site a beautiful rattan platform bed, and we built that frame around the existing flobeds foundation. It looks totally elegant. This bed is expensive but is worth EVERY PENNY!!! One caveat: Treat the removable mattress cover with care and do not wash it. Our upstairs AC unit developed a leak one day when we were at work, and water poured all over our bed. It was easy to clean and dry out the latex part, and I unzipped the removable cotton and wool cover and washed it in my front loading machine on extra gentle in cold water. Even so, it was about 1/3 the size of the mattress after it air-dried! I had to buy another, and Dewey got me one at 40% off, but it's the most expensive component of the bed. Still, with the organic cotton and wool, it makes for an incredibly dreamy feel, and I do recommend that cover. Just DON"T WASH IT!
Re: I found the best mattress! Thanks for all your help!
Reply #6 Jan 18, 2010 10:47 PM
That's great feedback.  How much was the replacement mattress cover?  I noticed that sleeplikeabear has mattress covers for around $250, so it's not a total disaster if our zippered mattress covers get ruined.
Reply #7 Jan 20, 2010 8:31 PM
It is Talalay latex. The replacement cover was $400, even at 40% off. We initially invested $2400 in the bed.
Reply #8 Jan 20, 2010 9:31 PM
miller2440 wrote:
It is Talalay latex. The replacement cover was $400, even at 40% off. We initially invested $2400 in the bed.

Flobeds lists there E. and C. King Organic Cotton & Wool cover at $624.00 - 40% = $374.40. So they gave you a 36% discount by charging you $400.00. My guess is that the 400 dollers included shipping.

http://www.flobeds.com/catalog.lasso

This message was modified Jan 20, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #9 Jan 21, 2010 4:25 PM
Just want to chime in....to anyone who can afford it...I agree...the all natural Talalay FloBeds are pretty spectacular.

So...here is my update as well...originally started in the "Just bought a new Flobeds" thread....We received our VZone layers two days ago...still adjusting to the change in firmness (I went from a medium top layer to a "firm" VZone as a few spots needed more support for me (i.e. hips and lumbar) and so far, although I suspect I may still be tweaking and experimenting with a few variations to make sure I end up with the best combo for me....(need to give it a little trial time in each variation  but .. stole :)  my husband's firm feet section so that I could have firm/firm foot and hip support to try)....but WOW....it's great.  Seems like the separate sections really do just know where to give you the right support (whether more or less) without you having to figure it out.  So, don't be put off by the extra work or confusion that you think you might have in adjusting the VZone...it's actually easier because you can tailor the spots that bother you rather than a whole layer.  Very simple to figure out, and very simple to move around (easier than a whole layer.)  (For those wondering...I am 5'7" and 135 lbs and my husband is 5'8" and 200 lbs.  I now have an XF/F/F VZone and he has a XF/XF/F VZone with the adjustments noted above.  I always liked a firm mattress...he is easier to please...of course!! :) We have them on an adjustable base which we also love. )

Even before the VZone showed up (it was backordered) my husband's physical therapist who has been treating him for several herniated discs in his neck, noticed a huge improvement in him without knowing he was sleeping on a new bed!  He feels a lot better since and once he hit the VZone the other day, even better still (yet he thought his bed was perfect before that!).  So much so that his therapist actually released him from therapy the other day!  And even more interesting...my sister, who sleeps on a very expensive Duxiana....did not want to get out of our beds once she tried them. 

Bottom line, can't say enough good things about my Flobeds...and the service...and the whole experience.  They are worth the extra money if you can afford it.  Thank you eagle2 for steering me in the right direction!!

Reply #10 Jan 21, 2010 6:12 PM
TJ said: "Thank you eagle2 for steering me in the right direction!!"

You are most welcome.

Reply #11 Jan 23, 2010 2:31 AM
glad to hear you are still loving your new mattress TJ :)
Reply #12 Jan 26, 2010 12:48 AM
Yes, I am Budgy..but want to tweak it some more! :)
Reply #13 Jan 26, 2010 12:57 AM
the beauty of customization :)
Reply #14 Jan 26, 2010 1:00 AM
and sometimes the agony...when you're feeling too lazy to do it!  But all worth it in the end!
Reply #15 Feb 27, 2010 1:19 AM
TJ12 wrote:
Just want to chime in....to anyone who can afford it...I agree...the all natural Talalay FloBeds are pretty spectacular.

So...here is my update as well...originally started in the "Just bought a new Flobeds" thread....We received our VZone layers two days ago...still adjusting to the change in firmness (I went from a medium top layer to a "firm" VZone as a few spots needed more support for me (i.e. hips and lumbar) and so far, although I suspect I may still be tweaking and experimenting with a few variations to make sure I end up with the best combo for me....(need to give it a little trial time in each variation  but .. stole :)  my husband's firm feet section so that I could have firm/firm foot and hip support to try)....but WOW....it's great.  Seems like the separate sections really do just know where to give you the right support (whether more or less) without you having to figure it out.  So, don't be put off by the extra work or confusion that you think you might have in adjusting the VZone...it's actually easier because you can tailor the spots that bother you rather than a whole layer.  Very simple to figure out, and very simple to move around (easier than a whole layer.)  (For those wondering...I am 5'7" and 135 lbs and my husband is 5'8" and 200 lbs.  I now have an XF/F/F VZone and he has a XF/XF/F VZone with the adjustments noted above.  I always liked a firm mattress...he is easier to please...of course!! :) We have them on an adjustable base which we also love. )

Even before the VZone showed up (it was backordered) my husband's physical therapist who has been treating him for several herniated discs in his neck, noticed a huge improvement in him without knowing he was sleeping on a new bed!  He feels a lot better since and once he hit the VZone the other day, even better still (yet he thought his bed was perfect before that!).  So much so that his therapist actually released him from therapy the other day!  And even more interesting...my sister, who sleeps on a very expensive Duxiana....did not want to get out of our beds once she tried them. 

Bottom line, can't say enough good things about my Flobeds...and the service...and the whole experience.  They are worth the extra money if you can afford it.  Thank you eagle2 for steering me in the right direction!!

I am interested in hearing more about the Vzone and the adjustable base you have.

Did you get the adjustable base at Flobed?

What zone did you end up using (ILD) for the hip and shoulder?  Do you feel the velcro and/or the fabric it is attached to?  I know I would (I suspect) feel it.  Princess and the pea here.

Thanks.

Recent Posts