Bought a King, Simmons Beautyrest, like it, but don't "love" my new mattress. Thinking of replacing it...
Feb 24, 2010 2:41 AM
So after months and months of researching, going from mattress store to mattress store, I finally made a promise to myself that for my new year's resolution I'd finally pick a new mattress.
I had been sleeping on a old, innerspring, sealy posturpedic hand me down from parents. That mattress is probably twenty yrs old

Never had any serious back issues though but that's probably because I'm still young (27) and workout (lift weights) religiously (5 days a week) and eat healthy foods.

So In my search of mattresses I narrowed down my options to Simmons beautyrest, Sealy posturpedic, and Serta perfect sleeper. My old boss whose a Chiropractor has a Simmons so he recommended that brand for me. I ended up going with the Simmons because of his recommendation and the price was great for a king, pillowtop ($800).

I've had the bed since Jan 3rd and I like the new mattress, but don't love it. I've had numerous nights where I toss and turn all night and can't fall asleep. I've also woken up with low, achey back pain that I've never experienced before. I am a stomach sleeper so I know that's bad for your back but I didn't use to feel this with my old, worn out, hand me down mattress.

I have a little over a week left of my 60 day exchange policy and I'm considering exchanging the mattress for a different one. I just get scared I'll choose another mattress and will not even like it as much as the Simmons and I'll be screwed lol! The other mattress I'm considering (went back into Sleep America where I bought the mattress and layed on more beds) is a Serta. This is supposedly there "higher end" model that has a 20 yr warranty and more supportive foam in the hip areas and what not. I think the label says Serta perfect day "morning sunrise" or something like that.

The sad thing is the serta is around $1600 so I'd have to pay  a lot more to switch to that mattress. It would be worth it though if I can sleep a lot better.

Just needing some opinions please to help with my decision. I'm stuck here :(
Re: Bought a King, Simmons Beautyrest, like it, but don't "love" my new mattress. Thinking of replacing it...
Reply #11 Feb 24, 2010 8:41 PM
I bought a Simmons Beautyrest Classic almost two years and so I am in the same position as you only two years later.  My mattress started off fine but the foam has know lost it's resilience and by bottom sinks into the mattress and I now wake up in the middle of the night hot and sweaty (because of back strain) and a sore back of course.  Even though the mattress looks like new. It just doesn't have the support any more and of course it's not covered under warrenty.  I also bought my mattress from a big chain and this was my replacement mattress and after trading in my first choice for similar reason to yours.  I agree completely with Jimsocials advice and trade it for a firm mattress and then purchase a latex topper.  Don't be swayed by the big mattress chain and the "expert" salesmen and go with the advice of hundreds of satisfied customers on this site and possibly save money at the same time.  When you are talking to the salesman, ask him straight out will the mattress break in (break down) over time and he will say "yes and that is normal".  Don't believe it!!
Re: Bought a King, Simmons Beautyrest, like it, but don't "love" my new mattress. Thinking of replacing it...
Reply #12 Feb 24, 2010 11:45 PM
tugg wrote:
I bought a Simmons Beautyrest Classic almost two years and so I am in the same position as you only two years later.  My mattress started off fine but the foam has know lost it's resilience and by bottom sinks into the mattress and I now wake up in the middle of the night hot and sweaty (because of back strain) and a sore back of course.  Even though the mattress looks like new. It just doesn't have the support any more and of course it's not covered under warrenty.  I also bought my mattress from a big chain and this was my replacement mattress and after trading in my first choice for similar reason to yours.  I agree completely with Jimsocials advice and trade it for a firm mattress and then purchase a latex topper.  Don't be swayed by the big mattress chain and the "expert" salesmen and go with the advice of hundreds of satisfied customers on this site and possibly save money at the same time.  When you are talking to the salesman, ask him straight out will the mattress break in (break down) over time and he will say "yes and that is normal".  Don't believe it!!

Thanks for your reply. I'm kind of scared about this whole exchange for a firm mattress idea but the more responses I get like this help.

Thanks again :)
Reply #13 Feb 25, 2010 1:53 AM
Jim gave you the perfect advice.  Its very doubtful you'll get anything other than an exchange and more than likely, it'll have to be as much or more than you've already paid.

So get  a good firm mattress and then do the toppers as Jim suggests.  This is the advice that makes the most sense.  Your mattress is too soft, thats why your back is hurting. I did exactly the same thing as you about a year ago. Also a stomach sleeper like you,  I thought I was buying a real 'latex' mattress but in effect it was a PU mattress with 2" of latex way down underneath 6" or so of smart sounding PU layers.  It felt fine in the store, but after a few weeks, it had to go.  The mattress sales lady asked us specifically how we slept and should have never let us buy that bed with a soft pillowtop.... but she did and we bought it.  I did end up being able to exchange this bed for furniture credit (this was at JC Penney's).  I had to fight for this. But it was better than being stuck with a bed we didn't want.  We used the credit to buy a dining room set and some other items that we wanted. I then put together a latex bed from FoamByMail for $1000 king sized. Its worked out well and is firmer than the original bed. 

As Jim said -  get a firmer mattress with the latex toppers to soften it up.

Reply #14 Feb 25, 2010 2:27 AM
BillB wrote:
Jim gave you the perfect advice.  Its very doubtful you'll get anything other than an exchange and more than likely, it'll have to be as much or more than you've already paid.

So get  a good firm mattress and then do the toppers as Jim suggests.  This is the advice that makes the most sense.  Your mattress is too soft, thats why your back is hurting. I did exactly the same thing as you about a year ago. Also a stomach sleeper like you,  I thought I was buying a real 'latex' mattress but in effect it was a PU mattress with 2" of latex way down underneath 6" or so of smart sounding PU layers.  It felt fine in the store, but after a few weeks, it had to go.  The mattress sales lady asked us specifically how we slept and should have never let us buy that bed with a soft pillowtop.... but she did and we bought it.  I did end up being able to exchange this bed for furniture credit (this was at JC Penney's).  I had to fight for this. But it was better than being stuck with a bed we didn't want.  We used the credit to buy a dining room set and some other items that we wanted. I then put together a latex bed from FoamByMail for $1000 king sized. Its worked out well and is firmer than the original bed. 

As Jim said -  get a firmer mattress with the latex toppers to soften it up.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I find these latex toppers anywhere? How much do they usually run?

Alright, I'm getting more convinced on this new idea. It seems to make the most sense.

So glad I found this forum. Thanks everyone for the replies so far :)
Reply #15 Feb 25, 2010 2:00 PM
How about this.  Your chiropracter owns and recommends a certain brand.  I'm sure he doesn' get paid to recommend a certain product.  So I'm guessing he's been happy with what he owns and has benefited from it.  Do you think he has given you bad advice?  Or, maybe he's like 90% (Or more) of the population who is happy with their purchanse.  Keep in mind, this forum is a very small percentage of people who spend months or even years trying to find the perfect sleep system.  Don't get me wrong, but does that make any sense?  If you lurk around here long enough, You'd think everyone has a problem with what they're sleeping on.

BTW, I'm one of the few people who are actually happy with their mattress.  Makes me wonder why I'm even here in the first place.  I do find it to be an interesting forum I guess.

Reply #16 Feb 25, 2010 3:07 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:
How about this.  Your chiropracter owns and recommends a certain brand.  I'm sure he doesn' get paid to recommend a certain product.  So I'm guessing he's been happy with what he owns and has benefited from it.  Do you think he has given you bad advice?  Or, maybe he's like 90% (Or more) of the population who is happy with their purchanse.  Keep in mind, this forum is a very small percentage of people who spend months or even years trying to find the perfect sleep system.  Don't get me wrong, but does that make any sense?  If you lurk around here long enough, You'd think everyone has a problem with what they're sleeping on.

BTW, I'm one of the few people who are actually happy with their mattress.  Makes me wonder why I'm even here in the first place.  I do find it to be an interesting forum I guess.

No offense, but who are you?  A mattress saleperson?  You don't even say what mattress you are happy with, why are you here?  90% of the population is happy with their purchase????? What???
Reply #17 Feb 25, 2010 3:38 PM
for a guy who used to own a "top of the line latex' mattress and now a very high end Tempur-Pedic, I would say that you really don't fit in with the 90% crowd either considering for you to be truly happy you didn't exactly cheap out. 
Reply #18 Feb 25, 2010 4:03 PM
Leo3 wrote:
No offense, but who are you?  A mattress saleperson?  You don't even say what mattress you are happy with, why are you here?  90% of the population is happy with their purchase????? What???

I'll keep you guessing.  Yes, I left out what I sleep on.  Budgy did their homework.  He/She knows what I have and what I used to have. 

Relax guy.  What I have isn't relevent to my post.  Just because what I have, doesn't mean it's for everyone.  Who the heck are you? An internet salesperson? 90% give or take a few.  What's your guesstimate?

I think what I said makes perfect sense.  But it sounds like you probably know more than me.  And no offense taken.

Reply #19 Feb 25, 2010 4:14 PM
i really wasn't trying to be rude.  I am merely saying that if you also slept on an $800 king mattress and said you were perfectly happy with it than your post would hold more merit.  In reality any industry claims of 90% satisfaction are just pure fabrication or omission of certain details.  In the interest of disclosure and saving you the research I am actually in the industry.  I sell the types of mattresses you sleep on as well as standard 'S' brand product and yeah there is a significant difference in the amount of satisfaction people have with the higher end product overall.  I could see 90% of people being happy say for a period of a few months, after which point that number rapidly begins to decline.  Some brands manage to keep that satisfaction much longer. 

And no, I surely wasn't going to try and imply that what you sleep will work for everyone either.  Would you say that your mattress would work for even 90% of the population?  I think I love the feeling of Tempur but I have slept on them a few times and it seems underwhelming to me, the smell for me really makes me feel uncomfortable.  That being said the people that do take the plunge usually seem to be happy, but that is because there are a lot of people that know beforehand that it wouldn't be the right product for them. 

Anyway to get back on topic, for the price I can't disagree with Jim's suggestion, but I would recommend not buying a topper until you have a chance to try out the bed without it first, maybe you won't even need one, maybe you will.
Reply #20 Feb 25, 2010 4:26 PM
Well, I did a little test last night and slept on my old mattress (i put it in my spare room) and slept much better. No tossing and turning, and no night sweats (I was getting these a lot with my new Simmons).

So yes, I'm going to go back to Sleep America and look for a firmer mattress (which is good because they're cheaper) and do without the pillowtop this time.

So the brand doesn't really matter? I think I'd like to stay away form Simmons this time.

Recent Posts