Bought a King, Simmons Beautyrest, like it, but don't "love" my new mattress. Thinking of replacing it...
Feb 24, 2010 2:41 AM
So after months and months of researching, going from mattress store to mattress store, I finally made a promise to myself that for my new year's resolution I'd finally pick a new mattress.
I had been sleeping on a old, innerspring, sealy posturpedic hand me down from parents. That mattress is probably twenty yrs old

Never had any serious back issues though but that's probably because I'm still young (27) and workout (lift weights) religiously (5 days a week) and eat healthy foods.

So In my search of mattresses I narrowed down my options to Simmons beautyrest, Sealy posturpedic, and Serta perfect sleeper. My old boss whose a Chiropractor has a Simmons so he recommended that brand for me. I ended up going with the Simmons because of his recommendation and the price was great for a king, pillowtop ($800).

I've had the bed since Jan 3rd and I like the new mattress, but don't love it. I've had numerous nights where I toss and turn all night and can't fall asleep. I've also woken up with low, achey back pain that I've never experienced before. I am a stomach sleeper so I know that's bad for your back but I didn't use to feel this with my old, worn out, hand me down mattress.

I have a little over a week left of my 60 day exchange policy and I'm considering exchanging the mattress for a different one. I just get scared I'll choose another mattress and will not even like it as much as the Simmons and I'll be screwed lol! The other mattress I'm considering (went back into Sleep America where I bought the mattress and layed on more beds) is a Serta. This is supposedly there "higher end" model that has a 20 yr warranty and more supportive foam in the hip areas and what not. I think the label says Serta perfect day "morning sunrise" or something like that.

The sad thing is the serta is around $1600 so I'd have to pay  a lot more to switch to that mattress. It would be worth it though if I can sleep a lot better.

Just needing some opinions please to help with my decision. I'm stuck here :(
Re: Bought a King, Simmons Beautyrest, like it, but don't "love" my new mattress. Thinking of replacing it...
Reply #1 Feb 24, 2010 10:30 AM
My research, including feedback from the knowledgeable people on this forum, has discovered that the big 'S' brands stuff their 'pillowtop' and 'eurotop' mattresses (and probably all/most of the others too?) with crappy polyurethane foam which is predestined to break down after some months and therefore leave you with a defective bed.  And you won't be able to exchange your defective bed under warranty because the warranty terms consider the sagging defects that will come, and give you lots of aches and pains etc., to be 'normal'.  In other words, they will tell you that your defective bed is not defective and therefore not do anything for you under warranty, and you will be stuck with it.

Hence in my opinion you should save yourself from that bad predestiny by returning your (most likely) polyurethane-filled mattress (but don't just take my word for it, check the law tag label on the mattress you have now, from what I've read, they must disclose the full contents of your mattress).

Perhaps you should consider a latex mattress instead, since from what I am told on this site, they don't break down like polyurethane foam does. However, you have to be very careful when you buy a latex mattress as well, because many of the latex mattress makers are shady and deceptive too.  You can't buy a mattress just because someone calls it 'latex' and think that you are getting something good.

The good news is that you are here.  Best thing to do is keep reading this site and asking questions of the knowledgable members here; that way you will gain the knowledge you need to make a good choice.   That you made this thread is a great start. 

But if I were you, I wouldn't wait on returning your current mattress, I'd do it today.

This message was modified Feb 24, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Re: Bought a King, Simmons Beautyrest, like it, but don't "love" my new mattress. Thinking of replacing it...
Reply #2 Feb 24, 2010 4:48 PM
At the Sleep America where I bought my Simmons, they only have two latex beds and they're made by Simmons as well. That, and they're really expensive.

I'm pretty sure I'm only allowed to choose the selection of mattresses in that store only for a exchange.  It also sounds like getting that better model Serta perfect sleeper would be  bad idea?

I would absolutely hate being in this same position again especially after spending an extra $800 dollars to change mattresses.

Ugh, this is stressing me out :( I had another horrible night of sleeping on Simmons last night. Tossed and turned all night.
Reply #3 Feb 24, 2010 5:04 PM
Well, I hate to sound like a broken record but really I see no good solution here other than what I am about to tell you.

If I am correct:
a) you cannot get a refund
b) you can only get an exchange

If you could get a refund - even with a restocking charge - I would do so.
If you can't, and if they only sell S brand mattresses - Simmons, Sealy, Serta, etc. - then I see your only good choice as this:

Take the mattress back and buy the cheapest mattress they have, an ultra firm - the firmest they can get for you. Doesn't really matter what brand, they're all the same.

Use the savings to buy a latex topper or two, to put on top of your new mattress. If they won't refund you the difference, then try to get them to order the latex topper for you - though if they do this I'm sure they'll charge you twice as much for it as you could get it online. So try for the refund. DEMAND a refund of the difference! If they won't refund the difference then use the $ to get a nice latex pillow, some nice wool blankets or silk comforter or something useful.

Put the latex topper - maybe a 1" medium followed by a 1" soft - on your mattress and see if that feels a lot better.

If it doesn't then you have to do mattress surgery. People say "No, I don't want to cut open my brand new mattress!" But just do it. You'll be glad you did because you'll get a better night's sleep. Put the latex toppers right on top of the springs; throw out all the brand new crappy foam the manufacturer put in your new bed - it's garbage.

See the mattress surgery threads at the top of this forum where it says "Highlighted threads".

Good luck, and sorry to be the bearer of this bad news: ALL the mattress manufacturers are making lousy poly foam filled mattresses nowadays. You can't get a good one unless you buy from a "boutique" maker and spend several thousand dollars.
Reply #4 Feb 24, 2010 5:06 PM
I doubt you will have much luck with the Serta either because for that price I am assuming it is most certainly another pillowtop mattress.  I am sure that the type of coils used in either bed is almost completely irrelevant because there is too much foam being used anyway.  But I definitely wouldn't pay that much money for a continuous coil considering they are the cheapest to make. 

As a stomach sleeper you really should be on something a little bit on the firmer side, which is probably why your older mattress (although worn out and maybe not so comfortable) was actually a better support for the way that you sleep.  If you don't want to spend more money and get something like a firm latex bed you should try and get them to simply take the mattress back for a more basic Simmons model perhaps with no pillowtop at all.  It might be a lot better for your posture.
Reply #5 Feb 24, 2010 5:31 PM
jimsocal wrote:
Well, I hate to sound like a broken record but really I see no good solution here other than what I am about to tell you.

If I am correct:
a) you cannot get a refund
b) you can only get an exchange

If you could get a refund - even with a restocking charge - I would do so.
If you can't, and if they only sell S brand mattresses - Simmons, Sealy, Serta, etc. - then I see your only good choice as this:

Take the mattress back and buy the cheapest mattress they have, an ultra firm - the firmest they can get for you. Doesn't really matter what brand, they're all the same.

Use the savings to buy a latex topper or two, to put on top of your new mattress. If they won't refund you the difference, then try to get them to order the latex topper for you - though if they do this I'm sure they'll charge you twice as much for it as you could get it online. So try for the refund. DEMAND a refund of the difference! If they won't refund the difference then use the $ to get a nice latex pillow, some nice wool blankets or silk comforter or something useful.

Put the latex topper - maybe a 1" medium followed by a 1" soft - on your mattress and see if that feels a lot better.

If it doesn't then you have to do mattress surgery. People say "No, I don't want to cut open my brand new mattress!" But just do it. You'll be glad you did because you'll get a better night's sleep. Put the latex toppers right on top of the springs; throw out all the brand new crappy foam the manufacturer put in your new bed - it's garbage.

See the mattress surgery threads at the top of this forum where it says "Highlighted threads".

Good luck, and sorry to be the bearer of this bad news: ALL the mattress manufacturers are making lousy poly foam filled mattresses nowadays. You can't get a good one unless you buy from a "boutique" maker and spend several thousand dollars.

They have other brands, I was just only slightly educated on the S brand mattresses.

How much do these latex toppers run and where do I buy one for a fair price?

So I think the consensus here is to avoid a pillotop with whatever mattress I exchange my Simmons with. Get a cheaper, firmer mattress and add the latex toppers?
This message was modified Feb 24, 2010 by woofman81
Reply #6 Feb 24, 2010 5:36 PM
Whoops, messed up that post (it's with the post I tried to quote)

Sorry, I'm new to this forum
Reply #7 Feb 24, 2010 5:41 PM
budgy wrote:
I doubt you will have much luck with the Serta either because for that price I am assuming it is most certainly another pillowtop mattress.  I am sure that the type of coils used in either bed is almost completely irrelevant because there is too much foam being used anyway.  But I definitely wouldn't pay that much money for a continuous coil considering they are the cheapest to make. 

As a stomach sleeper you really should be on something a little bit on the firmer side, which is probably why your older mattress (although worn out and maybe not so comfortable) was actually a better support for the way that you sleep.  If you don't want to spend more money and get something like a firm latex bed you should try and get them to simply take the mattress back for a more basic Simmons model perhaps with no pillowtop at all.  It might be a lot better for your posture.

yes, it's another pillowtop! Although, the lady salesmen said the pillowtop is half memory foam, half latex. So it would be better for me. She probably just wants a bigger commission check since this bed is $800 more than my simmons that I already bought.

Great point, my old mattress is pretty firm too so I think my back has been supported on it.

I'm thinking of going the route that was mentioned above. Get a cheaper, firm mattress and throw on a latex topper or two.

Opinions?
Reply #8 Feb 24, 2010 6:00 PM
If you can get a refund yes, by all means use your old mattress.  You will just be having more of the same problems with a different new S matress; just everyone elses opinion on new mattresses.

Or if you can't get a refund, take which one has the best springs, and gut it in 6 months to a year and put in what foam you want.  Not sure springs are any good now days though.  Or just take a loss like the rest of us consumers, been there and done that one many many times....
This message was modified Feb 24, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #9 Feb 24, 2010 6:24 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure how I can tell what mattress has the best springs. I can't see inside of these mattresses lol!
Reply #10 Feb 24, 2010 6:34 PM
woofman81 wrote:
Sorry, I'm not sure how I can tell what mattress has the best springs. I can't see inside of these mattresses lol!

Talk to the salesman about the coil gauge and coil count of the various mattresses. Go with the firmest/strongest imho.
It may not really matter much. Just go for firm and strong. The less foam the better.

Recent Posts