Will new bed work with latex mattress?
Oct 26, 2007 8:15 PM
We just got  a new bed, which I chose to support the SleepEZ 10,000 mattress we have on order. One of the reasons I chose the bed was that it came with the flexible euro slat base built in. From my research, this seemed like the best support for latex mattresses.

Well, the bed arrived and it now has a "new configuration" which swapped out the 14 or 16 flexible bent slats for 10 flat slats, with about 4-5 inches of space between them. The business that sold me the bed is looking into replacing the slats with the "old" configuration - I am waiting to hear back (and crossing my fingers).

Question is, will the new slat system work with the mattress we have ordered? My fear is that there is too much space between the slats. I am thinking that if needed I could add a simple wood frame on top of the existing slats, and then put a set of flexible slats from Ikea on top of that. The bed is an Eastern King, so it needs additional center support. Of course, I would prefer not to have to go through all of that.

I am really looking forward to the new mattress - my aching 8 mo. pregnant body demands it!
Re: Will new bed work with latex mattress?
Reply #1 Oct 26, 2007 9:21 PM
Foam Nerd
I hate it when that happens. At the very least they owe you a partial refund since the "new configuration" is not what you ordered, and is distinctly less than you ordered.

There is no center support on the current configuration? How is that even possible on a King bed? Or you're saying there just isn't enough?

Conventional wisdom states that the space between the slats be in the 2" to 2.5" range. This is supportive and yet allows for free airflow which keeps everything dry.  I do not believe that the mattress will actually be damaged if used on the 5" spacing. For one thing the SleepEZ mattresses come with a good quality cover which will not allow the foam to sag between the slats. If you're are still worried, lay some cardboard over the slats. I'm serious. That's all my foundation came with, and it's slats were originally 5" apart. Besides, this is intended to be a temporary solution, with the ultimate goal to replace the flat slats with flexible slats, right?

Note: this isn't intended to be in italics, but sometimes the forum software doesn't care what you want.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #2 Oct 28, 2007 6:12 AM
The bottom of a SleepEz mattress cover is made of a fabric called Slipguard or something of the sort. It's kind of stiff and fiberous looking but on its own not really rigid enough to support the weight of a three layer latex mattress. Placed on slats 4-5" apart coupled with the weight of the bodies on top of the mattress I think there would be some slight sagging between the slats.

I would definately cover the slats with a sheet of plywood--thin plywood would work. Even cardboard would work, since that's really all a standard foundation really is--widely spaced slats covered with cardboard and some fabric. Of course this would tend to negate the advantage of a flexable slat foundation, so the best approach would be to get the slats replaced with the old configuration. I agree with Hays. If they can't do it, they owe you some kind of refund. You didn't get what you ordered.

Reply #3 Oct 30, 2007 5:12 PM
The guy who sold me the bed is actually being very helpful, and is bending over backwards to make this work. The bed manufacturer was apparently having trouble with the flexible slats (slats popping out of the clips), and that is why they replaced the foundation with the new configuration.

Bed guy suggests a low foundation, like a bunkie board, that can be placed on top of the existing slats. Would that be any better/worse than just laying down some particle board or plywood? I also really appreciated the cardboard suggestion. Again, is cardboard a better solution than particle board?

Thanks for the advice.
Reply #4 Oct 30, 2007 8:54 PM
Foam Nerd
Particle board would just be overkill, that's all.
Reply #5 Oct 31, 2007 6:03 AM
Placing a low foundation over the slats still defeats the purpose of the adjustable slats. You may as well just place a standard foundation directly on the bedframe and skip the slats altogether if you go that route.

Cardboard may provide a little more flexiblility over the slats than particle board will. I still think your best bet would be to get the slats adjusted to the original configuration so you can take full advantage of the their functionality.

Recent Posts