WARNING check your Foam By Mail foam
Nov 18, 2007 3:15 PM
Most of us here know FBM (aka Foam Factory, etc.) can be quite untrustworthy. Their pink 5.5lb memory foam is really 4lb; they claim their latex is made in America (although it cannot be, since several here attest to the fact that it is not Latex International - the only US-made talalay). Now here's another thing to watch for. I've seen several posts on the cheaper-pedic thread on Fatwallet.com that report FBM almost always substitutes the lighter weight PU foam when ordering their HQ more dense foam - hoping the customer will not actually weigh it. Here's another trick. I looked on the UPS ticket for my pink memory foam, and it said 39lbs - what you'd expect a king size 5.5lb, 2" topper to weigh. But it actually weighed 29lbs (by my carefully calibrated scales.) From other older posts I've seen, they used to put the actual (lower weight), but people looked at the UPS ticket and complained. So they've gotten tricker, and now put the weight that it should be. So my suggestion is to always weigh your foam while it's in the box.
Re: WARNING check your Foam By Mail foam
Reply #1 Nov 19, 2007 4:26 PM
I emailed this to FBM:
When is my order # 4722 scheduled to ship? Also, please ensure that the High Quality (2.8 pounds per cubic foot density) is the foam that ships, and not the lower density.

Their reply:
Hello,

Your order should ship within the next couple of days. You should receive it within a week to a week and a half from when it was placed.

Sincerely,
Bambi
Foam Factory

There's no mention of ensuring that it will be the HQ foam, or saying, "don't worry, you can count it."

Naturally, the first thing I'm going to do is weigh it.
Reply #2 Nov 19, 2007 10:29 PM
My order from FBM shipped and the total weight they're showing is 65 lbs. for 4" LUX and 3" HD36 in a King size. The package weights are 25 lbs. and 40 lbs. I'm assuming the LUX would be a little heavier, but that would mean (if these weights are correct) that the HD36 has a density of about 2.36 and the LUX is 2.84. I'll post here again when I receive my packages and let you know if it is correct.
Reply #3 Nov 25, 2007 6:32 AM
If you are looking for a good night's sleep, proper sleep posture is everything. Your mattress should help you obtain the proper posture for your position.
steve2u wrote:
I emailed this to FBM:
When is my order # 4722 scheduled to ship? Also, please ensure that the High Quality (2.8 pounds per cubic foot density) is the foam that ships, and not the lower density.

Their reply:
Hello,

Your order should ship within the next couple of days. You should receive it within a week to a week and a half from when it was placed.

Sincerely,
Bambi
Foam Factory

There's no mention of ensuring that it will be the HQ foam, or saying, "don't worry, you can count it."

Naturally, the first thing I'm going to do is weigh it.

Looks like a copy and paste job to me.  Bambi is probably the directory name where customer service keeps their .txt files they use for the most common email answers
Reply #4 Nov 25, 2007 5:24 PM
I received my foam. The weights were 40 lbs. and 30 lbs. That would put it at 2.8 lb. density.
Reply #5 Nov 25, 2007 5:31 PM
That's great news Steve. Did you weigh them on a scale?
Reply #6 Nov 25, 2007 8:43 PM
Yes, a very accurate scale.

Recent Posts