want to build my own bed. where can I buy a coil system in a box?
May 15, 2010 9:19 AM
I am finding that the materials for a beckley  and other handmades are not very expensive, and I would like to construct my own bed using wool batting, latex and a cuddle bed to top it. I need to find a high support pocket coil system in a box and some natural form of fire retardant. I know that several of you have done mattress surgery. Hoping you have some suggestions, as I do not trust the coil systems in the commercial mattresses and cannot get info on them in any case. wondering if leggett and platt would sell it to me retail. any ideas? thanks
Re: want to build my own bed. where can I buy a coil system in a box?
Reply #1 May 15, 2010 12:02 PM
mass produced springs are SOOO cheap that I doubt they would just sell 'one' if you know what I mean.  I think this might a tough one to do but then again ive never tried.  let us know how it goes.  If you can find a woolen mill near you then you can probably buy raw carded wool from them....that could serve as a natural fire barrier for you. 
Reply #2 May 17, 2010 4:47 AM
olenska wrote:

I am finding that the materials for a beckley  and other handmades are not very expensive, and I would like to construct my own bed using wool batting, latex and a cuddle bed to top it. I need to find a high support pocket coil system in a box and some natural form of fire retardant. I know that several of you have done mattress surgery. Hoping you have some suggestions, as I do not trust the coil systems in the commercial mattresses and cannot get info on them in any case. wondering if leggett and platt would sell it to me retail. any ideas? thanks

I don't know but I hope you can find a source because I would like to do this, too, some day...

But I think it's going to be very difficult if not impossible to buy just the springs.

As far as trusting the coil systems in SCo mattresses, you can usually get the specs on what kind of coils they are if you insist. They will sometimes have to call someone to find out and it might take a day or two but you can usually get the specs on the mattress coils and almost all of them ARE made by L&P, so it's no big deal really to use the springs from an SCo mattress, imho.

Sealy seems to make pretty decent offset coils. If you buy their super firm "rock hard" model it will usually be the cheapest and won't have much pu foam in it so you will have less foam to throw away... My wife has a Sealy she's still using the springs on after about 5 years or more. I threw mine out because I THOUGHT they were no good but now I think I was wrong. Replaced mine with Englander Bonnell coils and now I'm thinking they are too firm for me (12 or 12.5 gauge). My wife's Sealy springs feel better, to me, now than the Englander. Though I was able to soften up the Englander coils by putting 1/2" of memory foam right over the top of them, as a base for the latex on top.

Reply #3 May 17, 2010 8:15 AM
thanks. helpful info. I will look into the sealy. seem to remember budgy posting that latex needs a pocket coil system, maybe not. my back likes 12 1/2 gauge over 9 1/2 box springs, just not sure that works under latex. I did locate carded wool. I have a closet full of cotton comforters and can use some of those as well with the wool on top. also in touch with a farm that sells horse mane hair. will report when I get further into the process. 

checked on sealy. all mattresses are 14 gauge. may not be firm enough for my  needs. 

This message was modified May 17, 2010 by olenska
Reply #4 May 17, 2010 12:09 PM
olenska wrote:

thanks. helpful info. I will look into the sealy. seem to remember budgy posting that latex needs a pocket coil system, maybe not. my back likes 12 1/2 gauge over 9 1/2 box springs, just not sure that works under latex. I did locate carded wool. I have a closet full of cotton comforters and can use some of those as well with the wool on top. also in touch with a farm that sells horse mane hair. will report when I get further into the process. 

checked on sealy. all mattresses are 14 gauge. may not be firm enough for my  needs. 

You also have to consider the number of coils and whether they are interlaced on individual pocketed.  I have a Sealy with 14 gauge, but there are a lot of coils and they are interlaced.  So, it is still pretty firm.  Interlacing makes it firmer because you have more coils effectively pushing back at any given spot.   The downside is that it will not conform as well to your body, so more likely to have pressure points.

I know that the top of the line Simmons have even lower gauge pocketed coils with lot's of coils.   Probably more that you want to spend though for surgery purposes.  There may be an issue as well with the pocketed coils shifting around.

Reply #5 May 17, 2010 1:33 PM
have heard that about simmons. wondering if they corrected the problem, as their pocket coils are comfortable. do not want to buy it if they slip, however. company has been sold, so possible they have corrected it?
Reply #6 May 23, 2010 2:20 PM
update on coil systems. spoke to Legget and Platt on the phone. asked if they could sell me an offset coil system in 12 1/2 or 12/3/4. said they could not do it, but recommended gold bond top of the line called Premier series, which has a good box in the 9 1/2 range and a 12 2/4 gauge offset coil system. tons of PU foam, however. also King Koil makes a series called Extended Life intended for heavier weight folks with a coil system of that gauge. some of the Sealy's are also 12 3/4, but only 338 coils for a full. All of these will run 1200 to 1500 new and all are stacked with bad foam, some with one inch of latex. for that price one can buy a handmade Beckley in a full size, so unless I can find one of these used that I can tear up for cheap, I may end up just buying a Beckley. (sigh). I did locate the other materials - carded wool and cotton felt in rolls, at very good prices. and 2 inches of latex would finish it off. PS When I mentioned that I wanted to build my own because of the collapse nightmares with all commercial mattresses, the Legget and Platt guy said " Oh you figured that out, did you "
Reply #7 May 23, 2010 4:52 PM
Where do you get carded wool at?  Can you provide a link, I am trying to find wool that does not have a stiff backing.

Pretty sad that we all FINALLY have caught on to the garbage PU foam they put in mattresses today.  Pretty sad that we have to resort to trying to build our own beds out of trying to not be in pain!

Reply #8 May 23, 2010 5:35 PM
found a guy selling it on ebay. just do a search and it will come up. there are a few out there. also found a guy who sells bulk horse mane hair. 34 to 42 $ a pound. http://mmhorsehair.com/uploads/2009_Tail_Hair_Price_List.pdf

hey but please don't bid against me on virginia19450 carded wool batting on ebay. hoping to get that one

This message was modified May 23, 2010 by olenska
Reply #9 May 23, 2010 6:34 PM
Don't worry I don't ever use Ebay, too risky for me.  What is carded wool anyway?
Reply #10 May 23, 2010 7:26 PM
cleaned up wool batting in sheets big enough to use in a quilt. comes quite thick, ie much thicker than a wool blanket.so good for my purposes

Recent Posts