Tiny specks of latex all over the topper... normal?
Nov 30, 2007 6:08 PM
Hi all,

May be you remember my story from the old forum, I was planning to build my first latex mattress : one 6" 40-ILD core and a 2" 32-ILD topper, both Natural Talatech from Latex International.

So the vendor finally received both pieces. I went there to pickup, however LI had made a mistake and shipped a 36-ILD core instead. I still brought the 2" topper home, while the vendor contacted LI so that they could ship a 40-ILD core.

Once home, I noticed two things:

1- There are tiny specks of latex all over the topper. I put a dark blue sheet on top of the topper and when I lifted the sheet, it was literally covered with those tiny specks of latex! I wonder if this is normal. It's my first latex ever, so I have no idea. Given that LI got this "5 step washing process" which they advertise on their website, I wasn't really expecting that. Hope it's not an indication of a problem in the manufacturing process or anything like that.

2- The topper is a queen size, there is a seam at about 2/3 width. This is alright, I knew they sometimes glue pieces together depending on the size you choose. However, at the end of the seam there's a tear, it actually looks like a small triangular chunk (approx 2"x2") was ripped off and then glued back at some point during manufacturing. However they didn't glue it back 100%, there is still a small tear visible, approximately 1.5" long and 3/4" deep. I'm wondering if this could be a problem in the long run, i.e. could the tear eventually get bigger and bigger after time. It's on the bottom edge of the topper, that zone is not being compressed as I sleep, but still, I'm wondering. What you guys think, should I take the thing back?

Thanks!

Recent Posts