Tiny specks of latex all over the topper... normal?
Nov 30, 2007 6:08 PM
Hi all,

May be you remember my story from the old forum, I was planning to build my first latex mattress : one 6" 40-ILD core and a 2" 32-ILD topper, both Natural Talatech from Latex International.

So the vendor finally received both pieces. I went there to pickup, however LI had made a mistake and shipped a 36-ILD core instead. I still brought the 2" topper home, while the vendor contacted LI so that they could ship a 40-ILD core.

Once home, I noticed two things:

1- There are tiny specks of latex all over the topper. I put a dark blue sheet on top of the topper and when I lifted the sheet, it was literally covered with those tiny specks of latex! I wonder if this is normal. It's my first latex ever, so I have no idea. Given that LI got this "5 step washing process" which they advertise on their website, I wasn't really expecting that. Hope it's not an indication of a problem in the manufacturing process or anything like that.

2- The topper is a queen size, there is a seam at about 2/3 width. This is alright, I knew they sometimes glue pieces together depending on the size you choose. However, at the end of the seam there's a tear, it actually looks like a small triangular chunk (approx 2"x2") was ripped off and then glued back at some point during manufacturing. However they didn't glue it back 100%, there is still a small tear visible, approximately 1.5" long and 3/4" deep. I'm wondering if this could be a problem in the long run, i.e. could the tear eventually get bigger and bigger after time. It's on the bottom edge of the topper, that zone is not being compressed as I sleep, but still, I'm wondering. What you guys think, should I take the thing back?

Thanks!

Re: Tiny specks of latex all over the topper... normal?
Reply #2 Dec 1, 2007 7:00 AM
Like he said! I would add that a stitch in time saves nince. Might want to get some spray adhesive (3M #77) for the tear. Personally (and I mean that since your mileage may vary) I would want above 40 for support layer (though natural talatach may not come higher). I find 36 (with maybe an inch of @20-28), to be a good comfort layer.
Reply #3 Dec 1, 2007 10:56 AM
Foam Nerd
mccldwll makes a good point, and in doing so highlights an issue people face when going all-natural, that being the most firm natural Talatech is a 40. If it comes in a bit lower, but still within the range of +/-2, you may not get the support you desire. The standard Talatech blend in an ILD 44 seems like a safer proposition. You can still go with the natural latex on top.
Reply #4 Dec 3, 2007 1:41 PM
I had posted on the old forum about my layer/ILD config to get opinions. I'm 5'6", 125 lbs, sleep on all sides, and I like firmness (but not concerte-floor-type of firmness). Based on that info people generally seemed to agree with my config.

The vendor had a 40 ILD twin size right next to the 36 ILD queen that LI sent in error. I could in fact tell the difference. I could feel a small difference laying on my back, but laying on my side I felt the difference was not so small. I definitely preferred the 40.

Reply #5 Dec 4, 2007 3:15 PM
Foam Nerd
you were laying on naked 5.6" cores? Were both cores (or beds) 100% latex? LI latex? Were you able to see the labels that LI places on the ends of their cores which show the results of their testing?
Reply #6 Dec 4, 2007 8:19 PM
haysdb wrote:
you were laying on naked 5.6" cores?

Yep!  They were inside their respective original poly bag as shipped from LI.

Were both cores (or beds) 100% latex? LI latex?

Both were LI, as the vendor carries no other latex than LI. Appart from the lLD, the only difference is that one was Natural Talatech, and the other one was regular Talatech.

Were you able to see the labels that LI places on the ends of their cores which show the results of their testing?

Yes, the labels were in place. On each core, the 9 different results were pretty close to the marked average (i.e. low standard deviation).

When I'll finally get my core, I'll take a picture of that label !

This message was modified Dec 4, 2007 by alibaba128
Reply #7 Dec 11, 2007 12:32 AM
I can tell a big difference from lying on a 44 ILD latex core under my topper versus a 36 ILD latex core. I can sleep on either but I can feel the difference. I also could not sleep on any thing less than a 36 ILD latex core and three 36 ILD latex cores without a 44 ILD latex core in the middle or on top was too soft for me. I still wonder what a 40 ILD latex core would be like. I am blessed that one of my 44 ILD latex cores averages out over a 44 ILD firmness since I like very firm with a little cushion on top despite my petite size.
Any updates?Re: Tiny specks of latex all over the topper... normal?
Reply #8 Dec 15, 2007 1:22 PM
Any updates alibab128 on your new latex bed? I am like you and can defitely feel the difference between ILD of different latex cores.
Re: Any updates?Re: Tiny specks of latex all over the topper... normal?
Reply #9 Jan 13, 2008 1:27 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Any updates alibab128 on your new latex bed? I am like you and can defitely feel the difference between ILD of different latex cores.

I actually got a call on Friday and my 40-ILD core is in. I'll pick it up sometime this week. Now I got to order the cover. I'll update once I (finally) have a complete bed to sleep on :-)

Reply #10 Jan 13, 2008 4:05 PM
A question for Lynn2006 about your 1.5 inch topper: what is the ILD of the latex and is it Talatech (blended) or 100% natural Talalay. I saw that you really liked it on a previous thread and are a small person and side sleeper like me. Thanks. I'm also interested to hear how alibaba likes the 32 ILD topper which sounds somewhat firm...
Kimmcgov: Tiny specks of latex all over the topper... normal?
Reply #11 Jan 14, 2008 12:16 AM
Kimmcgov, The 1.5" latex topper is a 22-23 ILD 100% natural latex topper made by Latex International (tag says this) and not too firm but just not as soft as my 1" 17 ILD latex topper from Overstock that they do not sell anymore. I really like the bed under the topper to be very firm but I need enough cushion to be comfortable but not too much to not get the support underneath since I am very petite and do not sink in much. Dave at FloBeds sent me this topper and had it specially ordered for me.  I think he ordered a few in case others wanted it also and if there was a demand, he would sell this topper on his website also. 

I tried a Dunlap 1.5" latex topper that Dave got me a few months ago that was a medium firm topper at about 28 ILD and was too firm to sleep on directly for me and did not like it so I sent it back.  But of course I have 36 & 44 ILD Latex cores under this topper. I just need a little cushion for my pressure points.  since I returned the 2" natural soft latex topper, Dave had been working with me trying to find a topper that will make me comfortable and be sturdier than the 1" Overstock topper that I love but it is falling apart it is so thin and does not cover all of my Queen latex bed.

Recent Posts