temperpedic and pressure points
Dec 18, 2012 10:27 AM
I am a side sleeper and for the past few years have been waking up after my shoulder gets sore (about 2-3 hours) so I turn over and the other one gets sore after an hour or so.  After a while of this I go to watch TV and have some tea and go back to sleep in an hour or so, and this is getting old. We have a Temperpedic classic which is I believe the firmest one in their line.  We used to go through cheap beds every few years so we decided to buy a better one and spent around $2000 for it (not that dollar amount has anything to do with quality).  My wife loves it and her back issues went away almost immediately.  As for me I am getting tired of waking up every night and not getting a full night of sleep and now it is affecting my wife when I get up so often.  After some research I am seeing that side sleepers sometimes suffer from too firm a mattress and pressure points.  Can someone please recommend a good topper so I don’t have to go out and buy a whole new mattress?  BTW, I thought it was a shoulder problem so I went for week’s therapy, chiropractor adjustments, MRI's, acupuncture and massages and none really helped.  Now I thinking as soon as I get into the mattress it voids whatever they worked out.

Thanks!

Re: temperpedic and pressure points
Reply #1 Dec 18, 2012 7:27 PM
No replies yet so...

The good news is that the mattress is firm, hence it provides the support that makes her happy.  She must be typically smaller and lighter.

But you need more comfort on top.  So, you could try adding a topper.  The gold standard for toppers is Talalay Latex foam rubber in a knit cover (or no cover).  You have to decide the depth and firmness (ILD rating).  Ideally, you would compromise a bit and top both sides to keep it mutual.  But what's the compromise?  You'll have to decide what your existing comfort layer is... the warm memory foam... and decide how much help it needs, without going too deep or too soft for her.  If you are much heavier than her, then you might add the depth and keep it on the firm side, knowing that you will sink into it.

A 3" topper is deep... 2" might meld better with what you've got, although once you separate your body heat from the memory foam, the memory foam stops doing its comfort thing... getting soft.  Soooo,,, ?

As for firmness... I'd target 22-28 ILD.  19 is plush, 24 is soft, 28 is medium... as one might related them to surface comfort.

If you try something, report back.

GK

Reply #2 Dec 19, 2012 7:11 AM
Thanks for the responce. Where would one go to try one?  Are they available a brick and morter stores like Sleepys?
Reply #3 Dec 19, 2012 7:40 AM
fischfam wrote:

Thanks for the responce. Where would one go to try one?  Are they available a brick and morter stores like Sleepys?

Don't know... I've only bought Latex online.

GK

Reply #4 Dec 19, 2012 8:40 AM
I would actually recommend Dunlop topper vs talalay, it would react better on top of the foam vs "bouncy".
This message was modified Dec 19, 2012 by a moderator
Reply #5 Dec 19, 2012 12:01 PM
I've been led to believe that matching items don't actually work well together (ie memory foam mattress with a memory foam topper ) so perhaps a cotton type would suit your topper as it will provide a practicality vital to your bed

Recent Posts