Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Jul 15, 2011 3:40 PM
I just wanted to start another thread because there are some claims in the 'request for advice' thread that I have not found to be the case.

My iComfort Revolution is on the matching box spring, not adjustable base. I've tried the Revolution in 3 Sears stores for quite some time before purchasing.  Mine feels virtually the same as all 3 in the stores.

The Revolution is not a 'firm' bed.  Even Serta lists it as a Plush.  It is a very plush bed with quite of bit of give in the top layers of memory foam.

There were some comments of a 'strong odor' coming from new iComforts.  I can tell you for sure, there is no strong odor whatsoever from mine.  I smelled the slightest whisp of smell from the mattress, I think.  It's that faint. Less than two days after getting it, I cannot smell a thing from it.

As for 'sleeping hot' issues.  I have slept 2 nights in the bed.  I've been wearing shorts with sheet and comforter in the bed.  The house is about  65 at night.  I'm not too hot in the bed (edit - see below).  It might be a little warmer than the S&F conventional I just had, but I do mean only a little.

Only time will tell about durability - whether or not the foam keeps its support, but so far, the support is fine.

There was a claim that iComfort had something to do with Sleep Innovations.  Although it may use a similar foam to a Costco/Novaform/Sleep Innovations product, the iComfort law tag states the mattress is mfrd. by Serta in Moreno Valley, CA.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Reply #43 Aug 12, 2011 4:48 PM
budgy wrote:

Anyway, to get back onto what really matters.... slpngoc - heres hoping that you have a better experience with your latex mattress :)  

I think lots of people are looking forward to seeing your feedback over the coming weeks.

Thank you.  I'll do my best.  And I can assure you I'm just a regular guy.  No employment with any mattress business.  Nor anyone in our family.

This message was modified Aug 12, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #44 Aug 12, 2011 5:00 PM
budgy wrote:

Anyway, to get back onto what really matters.... slpngoc - heres hoping that you have a better experience with your latex mattress :)  

I think lots of people are looking forward to seeing your feedback over the coming weeks.

btw, did you see thread how I measured 5.75" of memory foam within iComfort Revolution? 

I have photos of the Sears / iComfort ad board that clearly states  2.75" gel , 2" Kool memory foam, that's 4.75"

Maybe nobody cares, cause feel matters, but it struck me funny.

Reply #45 Aug 12, 2011 5:28 PM
slpngoc wrote:

btw, did you see thread how I measured 5.75" of memory foam within iComfort Revolution? 

I have photos of the Sears / iComfort ad board that clearly states  2.75" gel , 2" Kool memory foam, that's 4.75"

Maybe nobody cares, cause feel matters, but it struck me funny.

Yeah I did notice that, not sure why that is....is there supposed to be any latex in the Revolution? What is the next model above it supposed to be and total height?  

If you think about it the GrandBed from Tempur has like 7.2" total memory foam....so maybe it isn't the quantity that is the issue...I have yet to see a density rating on the icomforts though...if we really think about it, the total depth of memory foam doesn't really tell us how much material there is, its the total mass of the material that effects the price the most, and the density effects the performance of the material the most as the density determines how easily you sink into the mattress based on body weight vs body heat. 

Reply #46 Aug 12, 2011 5:45 PM
budgy wrote:

Yeah I did notice that, not sure why that is....is there supposed to be any latex in the Revolution? What is the next model above it supposed to be and total height?  

If you think about it the GrandBed from Tempur has like 7.2" total memory foam....so maybe it isn't the quantity that is the issue...I have yet to see a density rating on the icomforts though...if we really think about it, the total depth of memory foam doesn't really tell us how much material there is, its the total mass of the material that effects the price the most, and the density effects the performance of the material the most as the density determines how easily you sink into the mattress based on body weight vs body heat. 

No latex in Revolution. Prodigy gets the latex, probly 1".  All four must have 6" regular PU cores + 2.75, 4.75, 5.75, 6.75 other layers , Insight to Prodigy.

The feel of the Revolution was very consistent over four weeks. 

Reply #47 Aug 17, 2011 2:28 PM
iComfort mattress is so cheesy, get this

the freakin' law tag is not even sewn into the cover of the mattress ... it is stuck like a Post-It onto a tag that is sewn into the cover of the mattress. IOW, anyone (mfr. , retailer, whoever) could peel off the law tag, stick on another.

I have a photo of it if anyone is that curious.

Isn't actual law tag supposed to be sewn into the mattress cover?

This message was modified Aug 17, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #48 Aug 17, 2011 6:25 PM
Speaking of the law tag...the mattress I have now (purchased in June) had the law tag not really attached, and it fell off that night, all on it's own. Yet the warranty clearly stated that to return it, it MUST have the tag attached intact. Luckily I'm not returning the mattress, since I highly doubt they would accept that the tag came that way.

I really don't know what to think of this industry.

Reply #49 Aug 19, 2011 12:45 PM
I've got this iComfort Revolution set on Craigslist for an embarassingly low price .... let's see if anyone wants it.  There are millions that live around here in SF Bay Area, but also lots of mattresses for sale.

I've seen more than a few Tempurpedics advertised for about 1/2 original cost.  Like, king size TP original, asking $1200.  Wonder if they get near that

Reply #50 Aug 22, 2011 1:50 PM
DoreenA wrote:

They tried to talk me out of exchanging it, and insisted I didn't know what I knew and saw with my own eyes, namely that this very expensive bed was sagging in the middle.

And yes, I did expect free delivery of such a pricey item that was 15 minutes from my home. The exchange bed cost me $50 delivery, so I got nothing free.

It's really sad that your salespeople treated you like that.  If your bed is sagging, there is a possibility it is covered under warranty.  Mainly, your warranty is protecting you against sagging.  Despite the salepeople urging you not to return it, stay strong.....you DO have rights, and the right to a warranty inspection.  Salespeople just hate the idea of losing commission that they've already been paid on.  It's very un-professional.

Also, many companies will charge for an exchange delivery if it's a choice, and not a warranty, such as a comfort exchange.  But be aware that, even if it was "free"..... you still paid for it somewhere in your price.  There is no such thing as two guys driving around a big truck all day, paying for gas and to insure your home while delivering heavy mattresses in the hot sun, and doing it for free.  It just doesn't happen.  Even the first "free" delivery isn't free, it's paid for in the obscene retail markups.   Sorry, but it's true.

Reply #51 Aug 22, 2011 2:18 PM
"You are extremely wrong to assume that you have more mattress knowledge than posters on this forum."

Sorry, and you're right.  I don't actually feel that way completely, as there have been some VERY informed comments on this topic.  Even the OP, though looking for advice and a solution, had proven to be a wealth of knowledge him/herself.  My comment did however give that impression.  Apologies.

"I'm sorry Mr. A, but your first two posts were so much like an advertisement that I immediately had no interest in hearing anything else you had to contribute.  Your bias was obvious.......... He rarely says 'THIS ONE THIS ONE BUY IT' like you have done.  If you just shut up and read, you could learn a lot...... "

I have no bias, just severe excitement over having purchased the first decent bed I have ever owned.  At age 30, I went from a super firm POS low-profile bargain mattress to a Revolution.  And the only way I could afford one on my meager paycheck, was getting an employee below-cost offer from Serta.  Also, I never told anyone to buy this mattress at all.  I would challenge you to quote me on either, but after your "just shut up and read" comment, I am literally shaking in my office chair with fear of your internet toughness.  Chuck Norris has nothing on you, "mattress forum tough-guy who don't take nothing from nobody"!  cheeky

"As to Audio, I read Audio's original post.  To his defense, I don't see too much out of line. "  Thanks.  That actually means alot, not that I'm taking anyones insults here very seriously.  Glad to see you didn't jump in on the "there's a mattress guy.....let's GIT HIM!!" lynch mob.  I half expected it. 

Anyway, thanks again for starting this post!  It really has a ton of great info from all perspectives, regarding the revolution.  And in my opinion, it's all about THE RIGHT MATTRESS FOR YOU, and that can be different for everyone.  Take time to learn about what's going on in your mattress* as well as taking the time to truly comfort test in-store.  Know your rights regarding return/exchange policies!!  It's your responsibility as a consumer, to help avoid the "don't return it" sales pressure.  If you deal with a good, local company, that shouldn't happen.  But again, it's all about personal comfort and spinal alignment.  And, use a consistent pillow to comfort test.  Different pillows will literally change the way your body reacts to each mattress. 

*although I personally don't know all the stats regarding how many inches per layer in Temp or iComfort even half as well as slpngoc or many others.  But, as slpngoc had mentioned, I DO know how the beds feel/react/compare all the way through the iComfort/Tempur line.  I'm not saying to NOT learn that stuff, but I just feel that it can be a bit of a distraction (to some consumers) from the feel.  Some people get too hung up (in my opinion) on 1.75 inches, or 1.85 etc., and stop focusing on what matters.....how those layers make you FEEL.  And in my opinion, as opposed to innerspring beds, memory-foam beds don't provide tangible benefits or "upgrades" (other than, arguably, the Tempur dual airflow chambers) as you pay more/add more comfort layers.  This allows customers to choose soley based on comfort.  Ex: "The Cloud Luxe is just too soft.  It makes the small of my back sink in too much.  The Cloud Supreme supports my back much better.  It also saves me $1,000 and has the same quality and warranty" whereas an innerspring customer deals with....  "I like the way this cheaper mattress feels more, but I also understand that it has less coils and cushion and will break down faster, and also carries a shorter warranty".  Once again, know your stuff as well as you want to, but try to focus more on comfort when shopping tempur/icomfort.

Recent Posts