Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #92 Jun 6, 2011 2:08 PM
Like phreaky_d, I decided to change my order and went with the Tempurpedic Classic over iComfort Insight. The Tempur Classic felt great and reviews were overwhelmingly very positive. (When just considering the iComfort line it actually came down to the Genius over the Insight for me, given that I was leaning towards a firmer feel.) But after much research, reading reviews, and showroom bed testing, I felt that paying a few hundred $ more for a time-tested product is well worth it considering how much of our life is spent sleeping. The way I see it, if I’m going to pay over $1000 in the first place, I might as well pay a little more and get the proven Tempur bed. After reading all the varying reviews on the iComfort – some of you saying it broke down and turned to "mush" while others alleging it’s uncomfortably too firm – I decided not to play the role of guinea pig. If the mattress had been out a couple of years and the majority of reviews were positive it might be a different story. There’s only so much credence I can place on positive testimonials that were conducted in the 30-90 day period. Who knows, a few years from now the iComfort could turn out to be the preferred memory foam bed, but all I can consider is the information at hand right now, and I’m just not willing to take that risk on a product that’s been on the market for only a few months. But like I said, those of you who love your iComforts so far and find they’re top quality beds five years from now, more power to you for getting the better deal and taking that chance.  Thanks everybody for all your feedback. :) 
This message was modified Jun 6, 2011 by jblo
Reply #93 Jun 6, 2011 3:07 PM
astinia wrote:

JBLO, I live in Los Angeles, Ca. I got my iComfort Revolution from JCPenney. I only have to pay the $50 shipping charge to get it returned and was told it would be the same if I did an exchange. A 20% charge is outrageous! I think someone is trying to pull one over on you. 

Hey ASTINIA - Thanks for the info. Yes, I agree...totally outrageous. It seems all the smaller mom 'n pop mattress shops in CA have to charge that to protect themselves financially. But I recently discovered that Sears offers a 30-day trial period without a restocking fee (only the $50-75 shipping charge), just like JCPenny. 

This message was modified Jun 6, 2011 by jblo
Reply #94 Jun 7, 2011 6:46 PM
astinia wrote:

Glad to help too! I have now slept on this darn thing for 35 days. (ugh!) I was required to sleep on it for 30 but they aren't able to pick it up until Tuesday. In that time, it did not soften AT ALL.  I believe for $2000 I should absolutely LOVE the mattress or it's not worth it. For that amount of money I should feel like I'm sleeping on a cloud. Furthermore, the mattress should feel exactly the one in the showroom. It's not even remotely as comfortable as that one. Believe me, after this ordeal, I even tried to convince them to sell me that exact mattress in the showroom. (It was a no go). I went to a couple different stores and actually tried out every single mattress. I feel like I fell for the ol' bait and switch. I will say that it does sleep fairly cool but it also hasn't been all that hot where I live. This is such a new product so it's a shame that there aren't many other review boards out there. I know I'm not the only to experience this problem. I am really disappointed that this mattress is so awful. I was truly excited when it was delivered but it's been such a hassle. I tell you, I'll be so relieved to be done with it. Tuesday can't come soon enough. :o)

I wonder if they delievered you a Genius instead of a Revolution bed.  I know the Genius is quite a bit firmer than the Revolution.  I had an Insight on order for 3 days last week, but that thing is just too thin for me, has too much give, and appears it won't hold up to my 190 lbs.

Reply #95 Jun 14, 2011 3:18 AM
It definitely was the Revolution. Both movers (the ones who dropped it off and the ones who picked it up) confirmed it. The packaging and tag reaffirmed it too. I had actually tested the Genius in the showroom and though it was firmer than the Revolution it was quite comfortable. This mattress was MUCH harder than the Genius mattress. I either got a "dud" or the iComfort products are inconsistent. This has been such a nightmare that I will never purchase ANYTHING that has not been around long enough for people to review and test. I will not be the guinea pig again. It's such a shame because the one in the showroom was so comfortable.
Reply #96 Jun 15, 2011 2:03 PM
astinia wrote:

It definitely was the Revolution. Both movers (the ones who dropped it off and the ones who picked it up) confirmed it. The packaging and tag reaffirmed it too. I had actually tested the Genius in the showroom and though it was firmer than the Revolution it was quite comfortable. This mattress was MUCH harder than the Genius mattress. I either got a "dud" or the iComfort products are inconsistent. This has been such a nightmare that I will never purchase ANYTHING that has not been around long enough for people to review and test. I will not be the guinea pig again. It's such a shame because the one in the showroom was so comfortable.

The Revolution I tried several times at Sears was also very comfortable.  I almost fell asleep in the store on it.  It sounds like you got a defective unit.  So did they take the bed away and give you another yet?

Reply #97 Jun 16, 2011 5:37 AM
HI there everyone!! I signed up for this forum so I could post my (hopefull) thoughs and experiences about the Serta Icomfort Revolution bed. I came to this forum like everyone else when I was looking for info about the Serta Icomfort beds. This really does seem to be one of the only websites with actual reviews from the public. Long story short, I have decided to take the plunge and buy this bed despite the scary reviews on here. I really don't have a choice with my situation. I live in MInnesota and kind of (impulsively) bought a Tempurpedic Classic 4 days ago. I heard and done a bunch of reviews on the bed in the past, but it is now day 4 and I am having horrible back pain that I have never had before. The store I bought from requires you to sleep on the bed for 45 days before exchanging but they are being vey nice and going to let me exchange now. The only other memory foam beds they have are the Icomfort Serta lines, so that's what I'm going with.

Now to the review about the Icomfort Revolution bed. I will be letting everyone know what I think for the next couple of weeks once I get the bed. It can't be any harder than this Tempurpedic Classic is right now!! Just something of note that my sales guy told me when I went to talk about the exchange with them today; he said that the Icomfort beds do have a break in period just like Tempurpedic. This could be total hearsay and I don't if he is right or not, so take it with a grain of salt. We shall see once I get the bed. He told me the break in period would actually be longer than the Tempurpedic Classic, but he said that even new from the factory, this bed would be softer than a Tempurpedic Classic. He could be wrong, I don't know. I guess I'm volunteering to be the guinea pig for everyone as I no longer have a choice in the matter!! In the mean time,here are my stats:

Female

200lbs(about 40 lbs overwieght)

5'6

Prefer softer cushy beds, but they need to be supportive on my hips, especially for my SI joints. Also, have to be soft enough on my upper back so my body sinks in as I am a side sleeper 95% of the time.

I will post again once I have gotten the bed and let everyone know what my initial impressions of the bed are including the smell, softness, ect...

Once a side note, it's a good thing I didn't open up all the free goodies like pillows, bed rails, bedding, ect.... I got from Tempurpedic or they would have subtracted that from my exchange credit. Just and FYI for those of you considering Tempurpedic. Those free goodies aren't always free if you decide to return the mattress. It's a great bed and so many people have been happy with it, I just can't afford their higher level beds. Definately not bashing Tempurpedic in any way, shape, or form. Wish it had worked for me.

Will update soon.....

Reply #98 Jun 16, 2011 10:21 PM
Been lurking for the last couple of weeks.  I found this thread after ordering the icomfort mattress just from simple laying down in the store with my fiance and we both agreed this bed was super comfy.  We also ordered a crate and barrel frame with their bunkie board that hoals the memory foams mattress.  

So they delivered the queen sized mattress first, and I told her sleep on this bed asap as we just paid a lot of money for this thing.  She did and she fell right asleep.  I did as well and wow I knocked out.  We also bought 2 queen size rejuventation pillows and those are amazing.  BTW I am 32, 6'4" 235lbs and she is 30, 4'11" and tiny.  So we are polar opposites in size and both really liked this bed.  So the second night we both realized this was the first time we weren't taking sleeping pills to fall asleep.  My biggest problem with the bed is I have never had a good night sleep and it was easy to work obscene amounts of hours since I didn't want to sleep.  But now that has all changed.  I actually can sleep!!

To address some issues from this thread, the bed did not smell ever.  Also the bed hasn't indented or anything like that yet, especially on my side since I am bigger.  The bed also does not get hot, I know my old neighbors, mid 80's, complained about this with their tempurpedic bed.  Also we only ordered the mattress which came out to be around $1100 with free shipping.  And the 2 pillows were $100 for 2.

I know we are both very happy with the bed.

Reply #99 Jun 18, 2011 9:31 PM
I honestly don't believe it was a defective unit. I think because this is such a new item there are inconsistencies in the product. Based on everything I have read on the internet and talking to people, I have found that am not the only person to experience this. If you go back in the forum there are people whose iComfort became exceptionally soft to the point where they were sinking into the bed. Also, on this site and another forum I found several people with the same problem as me, the bed being painfully hard. I had them take away the bed but I refused to have it replaced. I would never go through that again. 
This message was modified Jun 30, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #100 Jun 21, 2011 12:30 AM
I have an update on the Icomfort Revolution  for everyone as promised. Again, these are just my personal opinions based on my sleeping tastes. Everyone is different and I'm trying to provide as unbiased an opinion as I can to help other people out who are on the mattress hunt.

Sooo.... I got the mattress delivered. I was so afraid it was going to be rock hard, especially after the sales guy told me that there was a break in period and it would be harder initially. The good news is it was just as comfortable as in the show room. I feel bad for people who got this mattress and it was rock hard. Maybe there is a quality issue. All I know is I took a 4 hour nap in the afternoon the day after it was delivered and slept like a rock!! I am a 15+ year insomniac and my latest sleeping pill drug of choice is ambien. Still don't sleep good. This mattress takes away all my SI joint pain. Especially since I am a 95% side sleeper. The first time could of been a fluke since I was really tired, so I slept on it the second night after being rested thinking, okay, now the other shoe is going to drop and I'm going to hate it. Again, popped the sleeping pill and slept all night without waking once.

Enough of that. I'll describe the bed the best I can to try and help others. It's supportive just like tempurpedic with a couple of differences. You don't have that sinking feeling with this mattress as your body heat warms up the foam like you do with tempurpedic. I will also agree with the recent poster that this beds stays very cool!! My last mattress was a Glideaway memory foam mattress that is only three years old. I bought it new and now it has a dip in it and hurts my lower back. The Glideaway in my opinion sleeps fairly similar to a tempurpedic and I am always sweating on that bed, especially in the summer time. Even with central air conditioning set at 70 degrees. (I live in MInneosta) No sweating on the Icomfort bed so far. The Icomfort acts and kinda looks like a innerspring mattress but with the pressure relief of a memory foam, minus the stiff foam and heat.

Don't know how it will hold up over time. It may end up getting a dip in it. I would be happy with 4 great years out of this mattress. The last two days I have had little to no lower or upper back pain. Normally I wake up in the morning with SI joint pain. I haven't had any back pain for two entire days now.

The only thing that scares me is this mattress isn't proven, especially the supposed new design or technology. If it relieves my back pain I don't care what's in it!!

The cover on this mattress is very nice and has an almost 3D fabric stiching in it. It's really wierd, but I can feel the fabric slightly through my sheets and the facric makes the mattress more comforatable for some reason. Maybe it's in my mind.

Final thing, my sister is having a 3 level spinal fusion on friday and has the great joy of a 3 month recovery. She tried my bed the the day they delivered it and loved it. She bought the Icomfort Revolution bed as well and is having it delivered tomorrow. I'll post in the coming weeks and let everyone know what she thinks of it, especially with all the pain she will be in. I'll also let everyone know if the bed starts to get soft. I weight 200lbs, so if that if going to be an issue, I would think I will experience it sooner than some people.

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks!!

Reply #101 Jun 22, 2011 1:27 PM
I researched foam mattresses pretty thoughly before I went with the icomfort King Genius.  I really like the mattress after about a month but have to say that I've never had the sweats so much as I do with the mattress. I tried it without the mattress pad  protector/cover  and still it seems to get me overheated.  I'm in very good physical condition and would probably sleep throuhgh the night if it weren't for the hot spots.  I'm going to call Serta and ask about this maybe it's defective.   I hope it can be remedied as I really like the bed otherwise- comfort, style and craftmanship and of course lkess expensive than the Temperpedic line. 

Recent Posts